• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshawn plans to skip minicamp to hold out for new contract

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame Marshawn. He sees the writings on the wall

- 28 year old running back nearing the end of his contract
- Young, talented, and much cheaper option at running back behind him
- Seahawks need to clear cap space moving forward with more important younger core guys that need to be extended

He sees Earl and Sherm getting their money and he wants his too. I wish we had the cap and the flexibility to extend him and reward him for everything he has given to the Seahawks...but unfortunately the nature of the business probably means that we have to cut ties with him either next year or the year after

Marshawn Lynch of Seattle Seahawks wants new deal, will skip minicamp - ESPN

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, I am quite honestly stunned at this decision on his behalf.

Marshawn still has two years (this year and next year) remaining on his contract. This current contract Marshawn is in makes him one of the better paid runningbacks in the NFL.

Take a look:
9d00818005c31a7fd5a947cb6f950eaa.png

Marshawn is not getting paid pennies on the dollar here. Marshawn Lynch is the 5th highest paid runningback in terms of average salary per year, he has the 2nd highest percentage of his contract guaranteed (behind only Trent Richardson, who has 100% of his contract guaranteed.)

How much more money does Marshawn want, seriously? Lynch is currently being paid what he is worth according to market value.

I love Marshawn Lynch as a player, but if he really is holding out for a new contract he is just being plain greedy. Even if he does get a new contract, unless the Seahawks FO is stupid they are not going to give him a whole lot more. If the Seahawks did cut Marshawn Lynch, any new contract he gets is very unlikely to pay him a whole lot more than what his current contract is paying him.

Going to laugh my ass off if a bunch of you start defending his greedy ass and play it off as him being smart and doing the right thing. I love Marshawn Lynch, but the Seahawks have other options at HB and shouldn't be held hostage by a player who wants a couple million more than what he currently is getting.

Tech_God

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Going to laugh my ass off if a bunch of you start defending his greedy ass and play it off as him being smart and doing the right thing. I love Marshawn Lynch, but the Seahawks have other options at HB and shouldn't be held hostage by a player who wants a couple million more than what he currently is getting.

This is the influence of the Dark Side of the NFL...... Agents! However, I will not make any judgments until we see if Lynch shows up for the minicamps or not.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Actually, I'm pretty happy about this. His 9MM next year meant that we cut him for sure. Now we have a chance to renegotiate or walk away.

Itsmytime

I love Beer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 6.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had read this else where, and in the comment section people were asking who expects him to do this? The team or is it some random ass person wanting to drum up speculation? That being said this can be taken one or two ways. Either he wants more money, or he knows his 9m dollar cap figure in 2015 is ultimately going to make him a cap casualty.

RegentDenali

LOL at 42-13, 29-3, 19-3
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,798.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When the hell does this guy ever show up during the summer? Big whoop de do.

Gooch1034

Fuck off!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.23
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be he wants to get it done now because in 2 years, he will be 30 and we all know 30 is the so-called "drop off" age for rbs. He is basically holding the next 2 years over their heads while he can?

Logicallylethal

Hoopla Cash
$ 933.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had read this else where, and in the comment section people were asking who expects him to do this? The team or is it some random ass person wanting to drum up speculation? That being said this can be taken one or two ways. Either he wants more money, or he knows his 9m dollar cap figure in 2015 is ultimately going to make him a cap casualty.

I think it's definitely the latter. Marshawn is just trying to protect his behind from being a cap casualty. Doubt the Seahawks will budge. Plus it's not like Marshawn shows up to these kind of things anyways. As long as he shows up for the season and is beast mode I'm fine with it.

My only worry is Marshawn being Marshawn...he's definitely a wild card. With rumors swirling of Christine Michaels looking great and possibly getting more carries...how is that going to affect Marshawn's attitude. That piled on with the lingering contract. Who knows.

At least we know we have a strong locker room filled with guys who hold each other accountable for their performance on the field. Best believe if Marshawn's play start slipping, because of any of this, guys like Russell and Sherm and Earl and Kam will pull him aside and remind him what the number one goal is...Superbowl.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Marshawn still has two years (this year and next year) remaining on his contract. This current contract Marshawn is in makes him one of the better paid runningbacks in the NFL.

Take a look:

Marshawn is not getting paid pennies on the dollar here. Marshawn Lynch is the 5th highest paid runningback in terms of average salary per year, he has the 2nd highest percentage of his contract guaranteed (behind only Trent Richardson, who has 100% of his contract guaranteed.)

How much more money does Marshawn want, seriously? Lynch is currently being paid what he is worth according to market value.

I love Marshawn Lynch as a player, but if he really is holding out for a new contract he is just being plain greedy. Even if he does get a new contract, unless the Seahawks FO is stupid they are not going to give him a whole lot more. If the Seahawks did cut Marshawn Lynch, any new contract he gets is very unlikely to pay him a whole lot more than what his current contract is paying him.

This whole offseason all the talk concerning Lynch has been that he will be cut after this year, even though he will still be under contract and is still performing at an all-pro level. I think that this holdout is more about getting a few more years commited from Seattle than it is about how much he will make this year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the influence of the Dark Side of the NFL...... Agents! However, I will not make any judgments until we see if Lynch shows up for the minicamps or not.

Agreed, lets wait and see what happens. It may just be thrown out there as a reason for him not to attend mini camp because he doesnt want to. However the tolerance level for the whole "Marshawn being Marshawn" thing may be starting to go down.

jerseyhawksfan79

Hoopla Cash
$ 42,273.33
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch is probably hearing the rumblings as we are of him being a cap casualty come next season, so he's just looking for some kind of stability for the future. I don't have a problem with him missing mini-camps or some traing camp, but hopefully it doesn't get any farther then that and become a distraction.

Banned 10x

aka Raindrop
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Take a look:

thanks for posting this

He misses these workouts evey year so as Regent and other have said, who cares. Seeing that he will be one of the top 5 highest paid (yearly) RB I don't see where he has any ground to hold out. If he does, and I personally think this story is BS, the Seahawks should look to move on.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kind of reminds me of what happening with Vernon Davis and the 49ers. Both well paid, both looking for even more money. I don't see it happening for either player. At the end they be back on the field with the same contract, because both teams have players that have contracts coming to an end and need to be resigned.
Speaking for myself, I hope the Seahawks don't budge on this issue. They have young backups, that need playing time and this will give them their chance to show what they have.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My guess would be he wants to get it done now because in 2 years, he will be 30 and we all know 30 is the so-called "drop off" age for rbs. He is basically holding the next 2 years over their heads while he can?

This is exactly right... 30 years old is the brutal age for backs and at the end of his current contract that's what he's facing... He's trying to maximize what he can get now...

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is exactly right... 30 years old is the brutal age for backs and at the end of his current contract that's what he's facing... He's trying to maximize what he can get now...

Yes I would agree this is the reason, I just don't think it will work out for ML. Seahawks have been stocking up on RBs, obviously getting ready for the day they replace him. So adding years to his contract, most likely isn't some thing they will want to do.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TMZ style reporting from espn.

-Marshawn was never talked to
-Nor his agent or anyone associated with him
-Nor the team
-"unnamed sources"
-He skipped OTAs, which he has for the last what 3 years?
-Nothing is mandatory until next week.
-We the media have reported he could be a cap casualty
-We the media misconstrued a quote from Bevell about RBBC

Sure lets throw it out there and hope where right.

I have it "from unnamed sources" Jared Allen has signed with the Seahawks

I also have it from "unnamed sources" that the sky is in fact Not Blue, and Water is Not wet.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Non story, IMO, whether it's true or not.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really worried about it in terms of him missing mini-camps, but I hope this isn't a lingering issue this season.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not really worried about it in terms of him missing mini-camps, but I hope this isn't a lingering issue this season.

ML missing mini mini-camp may even be a good thing. He doesn't need the practice in mini-camp and save some wear and tear on his body, while giving the young back ups much needed reps.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont blame Marshawn for doing this im sure we would all do it if we were in his shoes. He knows after this contract his huge pay days are over in the NFL once a RB hits that 30 year mark its mostly 2 year/ 1 year deals after that nobody is going to give him a 3/4 year contract. He is just trying to get what he can on whats left of his 2 year deal.