• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marshawn Lynch is a camp hold out

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I did enjoy this. Exactly where my mind went.

Red Bryant, Chris Clemons and other players released by the Seahawks with time and money left on their contract would probably be interested to know that the Seahawks’ policy is to honor every contract until the moment it expires, especially since they were doing Lynch one better and showing up for work before they were cut loose. USC might feel the same way about Carroll leaving the school for the Seahawks while still under contract.

yep.

this relates to "setting precedence" with our players too. not against new contracts for holdouts, but boy is it a tough game to play?

DunceKaep

Trolling 45, it's EASY.
Hoopla Cash
$ 663.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll on Marshawn Lynch: It?s called a contract for a reason | ProFootballTalk

This one made me laugh and Pete just had his "Above Reproach" moment here.

I'm totally sure you were planning on completely honoring his contract and paying Lynch 9 million next season and not going to cut him Pete.

Bookmark this, and IF i'm wrong, I'd be glad to say so.
This is about Lynch KNOWING he will not see the 9 mil in two years (after this year).
He is making less this upcoming year (5 Mil) and knows if the Hawks have CAP space this year they could add a few (2) million onto this upcoming season and he will gladly accept and (well, unless he has a huge year, ***disclaimer) walk away next year.

I really have no idea what goes on in ML's head, or his agents.

Doom sayers say Hawks will struggle w/o ML, What do doomsayers say if Gore was gone?

I'm Guessing 9er fans would say losing Gore would be no big deal since they have so much RB depth.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It would hurt if Gore was gone but Lynch is more important to Seattle than Gore is to SF at this point in their careers. And Gore has like 600 more touches so he's gonna wear down at some point. Lynch likely has more left in his tank....and Skittles.

darken65

Warped Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,199.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is about Lynch KNOWING he will not see the 9 mil in two years (after this year).
He is making less this upcoming year (5 Mil) and knows if the Hawks have CAP space this year they could add a few (2) million onto this upcoming season and he will gladly accept and (well, unless he has a huge year, ***disclaimer) walk away next year.

Doom sayers say Hawks will struggle w/o ML, What do doomsayers say if Gore was gone?

I'm Guessing 9er fans would say losing Gore would be no big deal since they have so much RB depth.
Gore will be an UFA after this season. The 9ers have been working on this and have done well for RBs to replace him. IMO Gore will not be a 9er after this new season. I'm not happy about it but that is the way it goes in the NFL. Lynch still has until 2016 before he can hit the UFA market. Cap hit is almost the same but the dead money is none for Gore this season and 3 mil for Lynch...1.5 for 2015. Bottom line is that ML is being paid well and has a big cap hit for your team. Tell him to buck up or retire.

joshuar56

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lynch will make 5 mil this year in base salary, and 5.5 next year. Seattle has already paid the 1.5 mil in signing bonus this year and next so they can't get that back by cutting him. He has 500k in game bonuses this year, and 2 mil in game bonuses next year, both of which are guaranteed. So really they are only saving 5.5 next year if they cut him, vs the 5 million this year. Not 5 to 9.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2

Hawks will struggle if Michael can't come close to Lynch's effectiveness.

The difference between Gore and Lynch and why losing Gore isn't as big of a deal as losing Lynch is age.

Lynch isn't going to get any better but he hasn't hit that point where his skills are in a dramatic decline. Gore is on his last legs and can't handle the carries of a workhorse back anymore. Right now Gore is getting by on the fact that he has arguably the best vision in the league and can squeeze through and hit holes for yardage that a lot of backs wouldn't have gotten (being a stud pass blocker helps as well).

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pete Carroll on Marshawn Lynch: It?s called a contract for a reason | ProFootballTalk

This one made me laugh and Pete just had his "Above Reproach" moment here.

I'm totally sure you were planning on completely honoring his contract and paying Lynch 9 million next season and not going to cut him Pete.

I agree. Pete usually is pretty slick when dealing with the media, but I would guess he wishes he hadn't mentioned those words. I cringed when I read it originally.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lynch will make 5 mil this year in base salary, and 5.5 next year. Seattle has already paid the 1.5 mil in signing bonus this year and next so they can't get that back by cutting him. He has 500k in game bonuses this year, and 2 mil in game bonuses next year, both of which are guaranteed. So really they are only saving 5.5 next year if they cut him, vs the 5 million this year. Not 5 to 9.
Foolish to think Seattle would consider a cut. They are in the drivers seat on this deal. If Marshawn holds out, he misses everything and we then miss ML.It is ML's choice to hold out. The Seahawks are good on their end so no need to cut ML. He doesn't show, he doesn't get paid.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hawks will struggle if Michael can't come close to Lynch's effectiveness.

The difference between Gore and Lynch and why losing Gore isn't as big of a deal as losing Lynch is age.

Lynch isn't going to get any better but he hasn't hit that point where his skills are in a dramatic decline. Gore is on his last legs and can't handle the carries of a workhorse back anymore. Right now Gore is getting by on the fact that he has arguably the best vision in the league and can squeeze through and hit holes for yardage that a lot of backs wouldn't have gotten (being a stud pass blocker helps as well).

I don't think we would struggle.. Were a team built on defense and Wilson is more than capable of working the offense... Turbin and Michael's are both capable backs... Michael's seems to have the more raw potential... As far as Gore he's still got a little in the tank but that breakaway speed is gone.. He's not gonna produce like he has in the past... My feeling is Lynch will be back though... He's just playing his cards and it's not very smart on his part... He's losing like 30,000 every day of camp and I think some of his singing bonus will also be penalized...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

I started responding to this about ten hours ago but walked away and forgot to post. A few thoughts on this. First, I don't think any serious 49ers fan would say that losing Gore would be no big deal. He's still a very good all-around back, and he's the heart and soul of the team, especially on offense.

Now, having said that, the loss of Gore (at least prior to losing Hunter) wouldn't be nearly as big for the Niners as the loss of Lynch would be for the Hawks. Gore possesses tremendous intangibles at this point, but he's no longer elite at running the football. He still has very good vision and footwork, but if you plugged an average back in behind our OL, I don't think you'd see too much drop-off in terms of yardage, TDs, etc. The same is not at all true of Lynch, who is probably one of the two best backs in the league right now. More importantly, he's arguably the best in the league at making something out of nothing. Lynch routinely got hit at or before the LOS and produced a positive gain. Put any back other than Lynch and maybe AD behind Seattle's OL last year, and I don't think they win the division or make the playoffs. Lynch is the most physical back in the league right now hands down.

the Niners also have (or had before yesterday; now it's probably more debatable) more depth at the position. Hunter is better than Turbin, and the Niners have more depth with James, Hyde, and Lattimore. I know Hawks fans jizz every time they hear Michael's name, but until he produces on an NFL field, he's just potential (and yes, I realize the same could be said of Hyde and Lattimore, but both those guys were better than Michael in college).

There's no reason to believe that Lynch won't play this season, but I think there's a strong argument that he was the most important player on the Hawks' offense last year, and he's loss would absolutely be felt.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I don't think we would struggle.. Were a team built on defense and Wilson is more than capable of working the offense... Turbin and Michael's are both capable backs... Michael's seems to have the more raw potential... As far as Gore he's still got a little in the tank but that breakaway speed is gone.. He's not gonna produce like he has in the past... My feeling is Lynch will be back though... He's just playing his cards and it's not very smart on his part... He's losing like 30,000 every day of camp and I think some of his singing bonus will also be penalized...

It's all relative. The Hawks are likely still a playoff team without Lynch, but the offense would almost certainly take a step back. I don't think they win the division last year without Lynch running the ball, unless Michael proves far more physical than I'm anticipating - not that I'm anticipating him to be dainty out there, but Lynch is incredibly physical. Probably a moot point, though.

Rvnight18

True story
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
I don't think we would struggle.. Were a team built on defense and Wilson is more than capable of working the offense... Turbin and Michael's are both capable backs... Micheal's seems to have the more raw potential... As far as Gore he's still got a little in the tank but that breakaway speed is gone.. He's not gonna produce like he has in the past... My feeling is Lynch will be back though... He's just playing his cards and it's not very smart on his part... He's losing like 30,000 every day of camp and I think some of his singing bonus will also be penalized...

First you HOPE they are capable. Second "capable" is way different that what Lynch provides. Being just "capable" makes you a way less talented offense. If you think losing Lynch can be over come and you would still be just as good, you are kidding yourself. Lynch makes that offense run. Not Wilson.

People said that last year about Gore. Does he have top end speed? No he never did. But he still had over 1,100 yards rushing and a 4.1 yard per average. The 30 year wall for RBs is widely known. Running backs seem to lose a step and can't do what they use too. Gore while he has slowed down, never was a burner. He is a patient, great vision, and gets through holes quick. He sets up his blockers extremely well. I think this will help Gore prolong his career. He won't be the RB he used to be, but he won't hit a cliff like others.

Wedgie

My 8yr old me would love 59yo me.
Hoopla Cash
$ 5.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People keep talking about just Michael and Lynch, but Turbin is the guy who also should be in discussion.

He excels at getting short yardage too, and physically is very similar to Lynch, with similar running style.

Personally, I do think it would suck to not have Lynch play this year, but mostly for the reason that as a person, he is so frickin unique, as well as a one man wrecking crew.

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First you HOPE they are capable. Second "capable" is way different that what Lynch provides. Being just "capable" makes you a way less talented offense. If you think losing Lynch can be over come and you would still be just as good, you are kidding yourself. Lynch makes that offense run. Not Wilson.

People said that last year about Gore. Does he have top end speed? No he never did. But he still had over 1,100 yards rushing and a 4.1 yard per average. The 30 year wall for RBs is widely known. Running backs seem to lose a step and can't do what they use too. Gore while he has slowed down, never was a burner. He is a patient, great vision, and gets through holes quick. He sets up his blockers extremely well. I think this will help Gore prolong his career. He won't be the RB he used to be, but he won't hit a cliff like others.

You just never know though about a player until he's given a chance... Michael's has amazing athleticism and has shown it ... Turbin isn't bad either but doesn't have the explosiveness of Michael's but more of a physical style.... And man I"ve seen enough of Gore over the years to know once he breaks it open he was GONE in years past... He's getting caught from behind now something that didn't happen before.... That's normal though once you get into your 30's because you lose your legs ... Lynch is gonna be back though so this is all speculation anyway....

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about Gore but I think the better comparison is Davis.

Davis and Lynch have very respectable contracts with multiple years left and they both obviously feel they deserve more. Both are key players for their offense and both likely realize the money pool is drying up as other players get paid or will get paid. They want that last big payoff as they enter the back end of their careers. Davis showed up when camp opened.....Lynch will likely show at some point but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gore hasn't said a peep and is in the last year of his contract. I think he rides off into the sunset if we win it all this year. He and Cowboy both retire in my estimation.....maybe Dawson as well.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone is talking about Gore but I think the better comparison is Davis.

Davis and Lynch have very respectable contracts with multiple years left and they both obviously feel they deserve more. Both are key players for their offense and both likely realize the money pool is drying up as other players get paid or will get paid. They want that last big payoff as they enter the back end of their careers. Davis showed up when camp opened.....Lynch will likely show at some point but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Gore hasn't said a peep and is in the last year of his contract. I think he rides off into the sunset if we win it all this year. He and Cowboy both retire in my estimation.....maybe Dawson as well.

Davis and Lynch. Kind of. It appears with Lynch this could be his last year. With Davis, he isn't there yet. I don't think he has the immediate need to get something done wth his contract.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You just never know though about a player until he's given a chance... Michael's has amazing athleticism and has shown it ... Turbin isn't bad either but doesn't have the explosiveness of Michael's but more of a physical style.... And man I"ve seen enough of Gore over the years to know once he breaks it open he was GONE in years past... He's getting caught from behind now something that didn't happen before.... That's normal though once you get into your 30's because you lose your legs ... Lynch is gonna be back though so this is all speculation anyway....

You clearly haven't seen much of Gore if you think he ever had breakaway speed

Getting caught from behind is/has always been his thing

boogiewithstu2007

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You clearly haven't seen much of Gore if you think he ever had breakaway speed

Getting caught from behind is/has always been his thing

NOT when he play's the Seahawks!! lol I've seen enough of his dam burn us for 90 yards aZZ! I noticed he hasn't been doing that when we've met up like he was before... Still elusive but just didn't have the same speed and was getting caught from behind more when he did find a hole.... Obviously you've watched him more than I have.... But he's been the one running back that's given us serious problems over the years... He's not quit the threat he once was... He's still a good back though...

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
People keep talking about just Michael and Lynch, but Turbin is the guy who also should be in discussion.

He excels at getting short yardage too, and physically is very similar to Lynch, with similar running style.

Personally, I do think it would suck to not have Lynch play this year, but mostly for the reason that as a person, he is so frickin unique, as well as a one man wrecking crew.

When has Turbin excelled at short yardage? On 3rd and short last year, he had four carries for two yards. And that was with a long of three yards. So far as I can tell, he converted only one of six third-down carries. He did convert his lone 4th down carry. In fact, he only converted 10 of his 90 carries. For that matter, in 2012, he had two carries on third and short for two yards. Looks like he converted one of those. On 3rd and 3-7, he had three carries for -4 yards and I don't think he converted any of those.

While Turbin and Lynch are built fairly similarly, I don't see much similarity in the way they play. Lynch is MUCH more physical than Turbin, who plays more like a change-of-pace back than a pounder.

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
NOT when he play's the Seahawks!! lol I've seen enough of his dam burn us for 90 yards aZZ! I noticed he hasn't been doing that when we've met up like he was before... Still elusive but just didn't have the same speed and was getting caught from behind more when he did find a hole.... Obviously you've watched him more than I have.... But he's been the one running back that's given us serious problems over the years... He's not quit the threat he once was... He's still a good back though...

Don't forget the Niners WRs/Vernon's excellent down-field blocking. That combined with Gore's vision is a lethal combo.