• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota to the Redskins per Clayton

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly...Mariota could turn out to be a far better player...we don't know, but we have enough history now to know that, he's probably not going to come in and light it up as a rookie or even next year. The safe play here is to trade if an offer is presented, or take the players @ 1.5 and 2.6...two picks in the top 40.

Yep & whoever is suggesting that the only other option for the Redskins is an offensive lineman really doesn't know much about the Redskins nor how to build an NFL team. This team has plenty of needs to include O-line, D-line & safety. I realize that they just picked up some D-lineman but you can't have enough & a strong D goes a long way.

You have to understand that the Redskins are likely at the beginning stages of a 2-3 year rebuild so not everything is being done for the upcoming season. If they don't draft MM & if RG3 & Cousins don't pan out - so what? They can address the QB position next offseason & again why not give both of the current QBs one more shot - what do you have to lose?

In terms of RG3 leaving if say he has a good offseason - ain't happeing - they will tag him in that case & I would believe that he would want to stay regardless. I believe this one is pretty much in the hands of the Redskins barring the unexpected. As others have alluded to elsewhere - there is more to a team than simply a QB.

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oi. Let's see, I played noseguard, center, & guard in H.S. So now I understand that there must be at least 3 other positions besides QB. Or Franchise QB.

Some people can't seem to read between the lines. I think Washington is ready to turn the page on RG lll. He has bad knees and a running style. Maybe good for 4-8 games per year. Maybe not. The injuries could keep getting worse. They usually don't get better with age. It's kind of over for him. Sorry. Can anybody really argue with this?

We all know Kirk Cousins isn't a Franchise QB; and we should know that RG lll isn't either. Right?

So now we have to act like- just draft a nose tackle at #5; then we can be a good team?

Uhh, sorry, I'd rather take that Franchise QB that we don't have, who may not even fall to 5! But if he did we'd have to take him. You may not get a chance for the Franchise QB next year, or for yearS.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oi. Let's see, I played noseguard, center, & guard in H.S. So now I understand that there must be at least 3 other positions besides QB. Or Franchise QB.

Some people can't seem to read between the lines. I think Washington is ready to turn the page on RG lll. He has bad knees and a running style. Maybe good for 4-8 games per year. Maybe not. The injuries could keep getting worse. They usually don't get better with age. It's kind of over for him. Sorry. Can anybody really argue with this?

We all know Kirk Cousins isn't a Franchise QB; and we should know that RG lll isn't either. Right?

So now we have to act like- just draft a nose tackle at #5; then we can be a good team?

Uhh, sorry, I'd rather take that Franchise QB that we don't have, who may not even fall to 5! But if he did we'd have to take him. You may not get a chance for the Franchise QB next year, or for yearS.

Doesn't matter whether they are ready to turn the page on either guy. The team has lots of holes & must address all of them - not just QB. And no - nobody is suggesting drafting a NT or OG or even QB will make them a good team. The pt is that they most likely won't be that good of a team next season. The goal is to be a consistently contending team in 2-3 years. Anything beyond that is a bonus.

The Redskins need to move away from the mindset that any one player - including QB - is the magical key to turning this team around. Also - as much as people don't want to believe it - drafting these college system QBs is a crapshoot. It doesn't matter if MM is not like RG3 - the pt is that it is a gamble drafting him & the Redskins are not in a position to be making those type of moves. In the end I think it doesn't matter since SM won't be drafting this guy.

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take even a great noseguard or a iffy O tackle at 5. I don't think the Redskins will. They could do that in the 2nd round. Tennessee could take Marcus Mariota. Tampa Bay might even take him at #1 instead of Jacrook Weasleton.

SoCalWizFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't take even a great noseguard or a iffy O tackle at 5. I don't think the Redskins will. They could do that in the 2nd round. Tennessee could take Marcus Mariota. Tampa Bay might even take him at #1 instead of Jacrook Weasleton.

I appreciate your philosophy, but it probably doesn't match the mindset of the current Redskins FO. The big spash, QB pick is more indicative of the old Vinny/Snyder/etc philosophy. The current FO headed up by SM is more interested in building a team over the long term which means addressing all positions - not just the QB position. Prepare to be disappointed.

ducky

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I appreciate your philosophy, but it probably doesn't match the mindset of the current Redskins FO. The big spash, QB pick is more indicative of the old Vinny/Snyder/etc philosophy. The current FO headed up by SM is more interested in building a team over the long term which means addressing all positions - not just the QB position. Prepare to be disappointed.

I agree. I think the whole Redskins like MM is just smoke that all teams put out there this time of year.

My guess is that they are looking at the draft knowing that if MM is on the board when they pick that it means that they missed out on Fowler, Beasley and Williams and really want one of those three and put out this information in an attempt to make sure that MM goes in front of them.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This would be another dumb move by Wash. This is a lost organization.