• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota to the Redskins per Clayton

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are overthinking it with all this trading around. A franchise QB falls to you and you've got issues, Redskins have issues, and you take him. No-Brainer! No relying on others or taking the best guard at 5. Gimme a break!

This is good news. You need a solid QB in NFL these days. SOLID. Don't have to give any picks to get him! Go with the flow!

If he falls I think you've perhaps got something there as a Skins org. Someone would trade for RG3 but you're prob. looking at a player package deal or a 3rd at BEST (draft picks are so valuable these days). You could always let RG3/Cousins man the helm this year too and plan to start Mariota in 2016 which IMO would be the smartest thing the Skins could do should they draft him.

That allows you to spend your 2-7th 2015 picks and 2016 1st-7th picks on pieces to build around Mariota. Boost the O-Line, grab some D help, etc. Let Mariota sit for a while. That all said, they'd need to sign a veteran ASAP to tutor/mentor Mariota because RG3/Cousins are not there and the Skins have nobody coach wise that is a QB coach. If Mike Shanahan was still there I'd sing a diff. tune, but he's not.

Mariota to Skins isn't TERRIBLE, but they have to be VERY smart about how they bring him along. Unfortunately, that's the one thing the Skins franchise has failed to show thus far. BUT, we'll see.... Snyder needs to dis-engaged himself from interfering with GMs/Coaches/Players.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I said in the other thread.

This sounds like a smokescreen to me. With the Jets a likely target to pick MM or trade down, the Redskins are trying to talk teams into a deal with them or MM well be gone by 5.

A good tactic whether they want MM or not.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you trade or cut some. The most desired, most key position. Can't go wrong!

This I disagree with. There are certain QBs that project well to the pros and Mariota isn't really there. He was a one option run QB in college and rarely experienced a huddle formation where you have to call the plays and get your offense on the same page. The hurry up method (which Oregon used non-stop) in the NFL rarely works... it only works for teams where the QB is already in a good demeanor to go back to the huddle instantly when necessary (see Pats).

QBs often require building pieces despite the importance of the position. Brady has won 3/4 Super Bowls on the back of defensive plays (including the last one where NE's D shut Seattle out in the 4th quarter - 2 3 and outs, and the final drive which required a miraculous tipped pass to even keep Seattle's hopes alive).

There are better prospects by position at #5 than Mariota. While it's not a terrible choice for the Skins, the organization has shown zero ability to groom QBs. There is no O-Line help there, but the Skins were bottom 10 D, not that great in sacks generated, and there is a # of available D-line/OLBs available which immediately bolster the defense.

Thumper

The "winners" won't let me post.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he falls I think you've perhaps got something there as a Skins org. Someone would trade for RG3 but you're prob. looking at a player package deal or a 3rd at BEST (draft picks are so valuable these days). You could always let RG3/Cousins man the helm this year too and plan to start Mariota in 2016 which IMO would be the smartest thing the Skins could do should they draft him.

That allows you to spend your 2-7th 2015 picks and 2016 1st-7th picks on pieces to build around Mariota. Boost the O-Line, grab some D help, etc. Let Mariota sit for a while. That all said, they'd need to sign a veteran ASAP to tutor/mentor Mariota because RG3/Cousins are not there and the Skins have nobody coach wise that is a QB coach. If Mike Shanahan was still there I'd sing a diff. tune, but he's not.

Mariota to Skins isn't TERRIBLE, but they have to be VERY smart about how they bring him along. Unfortunately, that's the one thing the Skins franchise has failed to show thus far. BUT, we'll see.... Snyder needs to dis-engaged himself from interfering with GMs/Coaches/Players.

Sharkonabicycle; Why don't you work for Sports Illustrated or ESPN or Sportsbleachers, or something?

You probably should be getting paid for what you write!

Very astute analysis!

That's all real. (I'm not being sarcastic, since you don't know me.)

Ritzarmy

RIP WLK Loving father, husband, & friend to ALL
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So you trade or cut some. The most desired, most key position. Can't go wrong!

I don't blame all the failures on the QB play the past 2 seasons. Both QBs were running for their life. Build up a nasty o-line so who ever is at QB can succeed.

Thumper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is what I said in the other thread.

Why would they not want him? I'm an RG lll guy; don't know how many are left!

I get it! He was the Savior, but... Keeps having knee problems... Could get worse. Fast!

He's a hit away! Maybe two! I'll be honest, I'm a Redskins fan no longer in 'Skins country so I wasn't even paying attention to the draft yet & heard nothing.

But I'm hearing all these teams want MM on sports talk radio, and then the Skins can get him? Cousins can be good but I don't think he's Franchise quality. Is RG lll Franchise Quality now? No. Probably not so...

I would argue that in Washington QB is a position of need. BPA at 5 will be MM.

HTTR!

Thumper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't blame all the failures on the QB play the past 2 seasons. Both QBs were running for their life. Build up a nasty o-line so who ever is at QB can succeed.

Nobody says don't build up the line! But it has to be done at pick #5 or we're screwed? Bull!

Other picks. F.A. Trades. C'mon, Man!

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would they not want him? I'm an RG lll guy; don't know how many are left!

I get it! He was the Savior, but... Keeps having knee problems... Could get worse. Fast!

He's a hit away! Maybe two! I'll be honest, I'm a Redskins fan no longer in 'Skins country so I wasn't even paying attention to the draft yet & heard nothing.

But I'm hearing all these teams want MM on sports talk radio, and then the Skins can get him? Cousins can be good but I don't think he's Franchise quality. Is RG lll Franchise Quality now? No. Probably not so...

I would argue that in Washington QB is a position of need. BPA at 5 will be MM.

HTTR!
They may not want him because they may not view him as highly as some people. They may see him as a system QB & Jay Gruden runs a west coast version. I Personally don't see him as a good fit in a tradition offense.
I am no fan of RG3 but why would you want to go down the same road again with MM. RG3 is a system QB. He got away with it for a season & then injuries & the NFL adapting to him ended his stellar play.

If you are desperate for a QB, I would trade down & take a risk on Hundley before drafting MM. At least you'll be getting a few more picks for taking the Hundley risk.

Unless you are sitting in a room with any GM & their scouting hearing the words "I want MM", I wouldn't take anything reported in the media between now & the draft as fact.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody says don't build up the line! But it has to be done at pick #5 or we're screwed? Bull!

Oh sorry I wasn't talking about taking a O-Lineman with our #5 pick. There is no value there. With our pick if we cant trade it then we take the BPA. If that's Mariota, Gregory, Ray, even one of the Wr's we should take BPA.

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Thumper you can't give out more then 1 Winner Award per forum. My God man this isn't little league where everyone deserves a trophy. :thumb:

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously? RGIII, Cousins and Mariota?

Ritzarmy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,145.45
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,521.05
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You mean none. None of them are real starters. RG(knees) and KC are good backups but not starters. Mariota shouldn't be selected because I don't see him doing any better then the other 2 especially behind that horrible o-line.

Cousins might be a career backup but RGIII just needs to get 100% healthy. He was supposed to miss this entire last season (reported when he was injured) and he ended up coming back too soon and never looked quite right.

SonnyCID

Conocido Miembro
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why don't the Redskins want him? Most important position on the field. RG lll is not durable. We all know he's a hit or two away. How can you not take The Guy if he drops to you. You don't just take an OL.

I like this possibility. RG lll would make a great back up. Excellent wildcat possibility.

HTTR!

Because he's all talent and no substance. Mariota is a big name in the draft because of his measurables, and Heisman. Not because of NFL qualities, like decision making, pocket presence or leadership. Hes Kaepernick with a little better touch, but less dooshy.

Uhsplit

Hoopla Cash
$ 805.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh jeez Skins... just stop. If they do it, they can kiss prob. 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 2016 2nd away. Goodbye more depth. That team was basically ranked bottom 1/3 in defense and has holes in the secondary. They were bottom 10 in sacks generated and 2nd overall in sacks allowed. I don't know how PFF ranks them top 16 in offensive line, because everyone outside of Trent Williams sucks.

Other than that what is your gut feeling?