• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariota Dropping...

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know that he's dropping, but I do know that he has a ton of weaknesses in his game that pro people see and college people ignore. So we're getting more pro input than we've gotten before on the topic of Mariotta.

Honesty, he doesn't help us much anyway. He may be someone Chip can trust to run his offense for 10+ years and that has value, but he doesn't do half of the things that Foles did at the same point in their careers, in terms of next level QB stuff - anticipation throws, moving defenders with your eyes, blocking calls, finding secondary receivers, etc. Mariotta's weakness in the redzone is the same as Chip's. The pro game is much faster and he's doesn't deliver the ball consistently down field. He'll throw picks while he learns that part of the game, or he'll never develop. This team would benefit more by adding defenders and Olinemen.

Speedy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure if you had the name right or not. If I am not mistaken Cardale Jones was the 3rd stringer on the team. On top of that he has a total of 71 pass attempts for his entire college career. Not sure how he is drafted before the 6th round even if he does come out.

Unless of course I misread the entire thing and you meant a future first round QB.
You got it right, if he comes out (which would be his best move imo ₩ and he puts on a show vs Oregon. He will be a high 1st rounder. His size, speed, arm and potential is certainly 1st round worthy.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge game tonight and I'm feeling good about this. I know this kills you PSU fans. Suck it up and enjoy.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You got it right, if he comes out (which would be his best move imo ₩ and he puts on a show vs Oregon. He will be a high 1st rounder. His size, speed, arm and potential is certainly 1st round worthy.

This is what I am not understanding. How does a guy that does not win the starting job (or the backup) on his own college team become a high first rounder? Especially at QB.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is what I am not understanding. How does a guy that does not win the starting job (or the backup) on his own college team become a high first rounder? Especially at QB.

If he's got the skills...

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Huge game tonight and I'm feeling good about this. I know this kills you PSU fans. Suck it up and enjoy.

Tonight will be a wonderful night as Oregon drops 70 on O$U. :lol:

TheRobotDevil

Immortal
Hoopla Cash
$ 666.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brady Quinn was a total waste of a first round pick.

With USC playing Oregon and Notre Dame on a regular basis I've seen a lot of both qb's. Quinn and Marriota are two completely different quartebacks. I can't say I can put them in the same category. Marriota is a lot more skilled than Quinn was and a whole lot more mobile. He has a much higher ability to create plays because of his skill set. He actually reminds me more if Russell Wilson if he drops he will be a steal. I don't see him dropping though too many teams in need of a QB and he is the best in the draft Winston has skill when he wants to play but is a disaster. He's also used to playing on good teams and is used to winning. The way he played in the rise bowl was scary how will that translate if he's on a sub pat or bad team in the NFL level. There are some good qb's entering the draft but they don't have the resume marriota has. I still think he's the first QB drafted worst case 2nd I don't see him dropping too far. If he did Chip Kelly would be in all his glory he would have his missing piece.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he's got the skills...

Almost all QB's drafted in the first round has the skills. That does not mean they can play in the NFL. There were 56 QB's taken in the first round from 1990 to 2012. I show only 17 becoming at least good QB's. That means that first round QB's have a 70% bust rate.

So drafting a third string college QB in the first round because he has the skills and can make the throws would but just stupid IMO.

First Round QB's (not going to included 2013 and 2014 too early to tell on the QB's)

1990 - George, Ware
1991 - Mcgwire, Marinovich
1992 - Klingler, Maddox
1993 - Bledsoe, Mirer
1994 - Shuler, Dilfer
1995 - McNair Collins
1996 - None
1997 - Druckenmiller
1998 - Manning, Leaf
1999 - Couch, McNabb, Smith, Culpepper, McNown
2000 - Pennington
2001 - Vick
2002 - Carr, Harrington, Ramsey
2003 - Palmer, Leftwich, Boller, Grossman
2004 - Manning, Rivers, Roethlesberger, Losman
2005 - Smith, Rodgers, Campbell
2006 - Young, Leinert, Cutler
2007 - Russell, Quinn
2008 - Ryan, Flacco
2009 - Stafford, Sanchez, Freeman
2010 - Bradford, Tebow
2011 - Newton, Locker, Gabbert, Ponder
2012 - Luck, Griffin, Tannehill, Weeden

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they'd have the few games of tape on him, be able to talk to Urban Meyer about him, work him out themselves. If the only reason he's not a 1st round QB is because he was stuck behind two other 1st round QBs, well that would be a dumb reason NOT to take him.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean they'd have the few games of tape on him, be able to talk to Urban Meyer about him, work him out themselves. If the only reason he's not a 1st round QB is because he was stuck behind two other 1st round QBs, well that would be a dumb reason NOT to take him.

70% of the QB's taken in the first round are busts and this is your reasoning? Privates workouts mean jack shit when it comes to actually evaluating if a QB can actually play in the NFL. Sorry Enut but that is just stupid.

Urban Meyer can't believe Tim Tebow is out of the NFL and you want someone to take is QB evaluation seriously?

Urban Meyer: 'I still don't get' why Tim Tebow is out of NFL - NFL.com

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
70% of the QB's taken in the first round are busts and this is your reasoning? Privates workouts mean jack shit when it comes to actually evaluating if a QB can actually play in the NFL. Sorry Enut but that is just stupid.

Urban Meyer can't believe Tim Tebow is out of the NFL and you want someone to take is QB evaluation seriously?

Urban Meyer: 'I still don't get' why Tim Tebow is out of NFL - NFL.com

Urban Meyer knows what the rest of us didn't get to see until the last 3 weeks. If he honestly has three 1st round talents at QB then the NFL people will find a way to come to that conclusion too.

Tebow was a 1st round QB.

There's probably a lot of college people that "still don't get" that. He can throw these bubble screens that Mariotta throws and is big enough to absorb hits.

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Urban Meyer knows what the rest of us didn't get to see until the last 3 weeks. If he honestly has three 1st round talents at QB then the NFL people will find a way to come to that conclusion too.

Tebow was a 1st round QB.

There's probably a lot of college people that "still don't get" that. He can throw these bubble screens that Mariotta throws and is big enough to absorb hits.

And he put two QB's in front of him. Urban Meyers is not going to say that one of his players is not NFL ready. My argument is that I think it is just ridiculous to say that this kid can all of a sudden become a high first round draft pick if he performs well against Oregon. His numbers do not suggest that he played all that well against Alabama. Barely completing 50% of his passes. He did very well against Wisconson and they have a good defense.

I am not saying that he would not be a good prospect but that is a mighty big if for a backup with a very small body of work to show for it. Reminds me of Akili Smith and how his strock risen after some big game performances but overall was not good at all.

I just can't see how anyone can this guy a first round grade

yes Tebow was a first round QB and had no business being one. He sucks and I don't think there was a single mock out there that had him going that high. Denver wasted a pick and if not for Peyton being released the Bronco's would really suffered for that mistake.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And he put two QB's in front of him. Urban Meyers is not going to say that one of his players is not NFL ready. My argument is that I think it is just ridiculous to say that this kid can all of a sudden become a high first round draft pick if he performs well against Oregon. His numbers do not suggest that he played all that well against Alabama. Barely completing 50% of his passes. He did very well against Wisconson and they have a good defense.

I am not saying that he would not be a good prospect but that is a mighty big if for a backup with a very small body of work to show for it. Reminds me of Akili Smith and how his strock risen after some big game performances but overall was not good at all.

yes Tebow was a first round QB and had no business being one. He sucks and I don't think there was a single mock out there that had him going that high. Denver wasted a pick and if not for Peyton being released the Bronco's would really suffered for that mistake.

Couldn't agree more. :clap: Mariota is the second coming of Akili Smith. And the more Oregon fans browbeat any of us for daring to speculate whether Mariota is a guaranteed first-ballot HOF'er, the more he strikes me as all hype, very little NFL substance. That said, I hope he slides past TB and a team sells the farm to the Titans to get him. :hope:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not saying he's a 1st rounder either, but him being stuck behind two other talents doesn't exclude him from being a very good prospect. Everyone will find out a lot tonight about him. If the talents there, him not destroying college football for 2-3 years doesn't mean that he might not be one of the top 32 prospects.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has the Eagles taking Hundley at #20........:noidea:

PhillyGreen

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What makes this mock even more ridiculous is that he has the Eagles taking Hudley with Trae Waynes still on the board.

Deano

Mental ninja
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rob Rang. A noted authority.

Wings

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cam Newton's college stats:
Passing yards: 2908
Rushing yards: 1486

Marcus Mariota college stats:
Passing yards: 10,463
Rushing yards: 2198

Like I said ...

I'm shocked at these stats. I know Newton ran a lot but the best things I remember from Newton at Auburn was his passing.