• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners Trade deadline 2013

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what are some of the trades you can see the Mariners doing coming up on the trade deadline?

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Raul Ibanez is probably the main bargaining chip for the M's at this point. I think he can fetch in some valuable players from a contender.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who even knows.

It's Z, though, and he's probably worried about his job, so I'm scared about what he might do.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ibanez is sure to draw some interest from teams looking for lefty power (as he hits another homerun while I type this). I don't know what we could get for him, but I'm sure Zduriencik is taking calls where Ibanez's name is the first name mentioned. I'm sure Morales is drawing some interest as well, particularly considering his numbers with runners in scoring position, but if the M's are interested in extending him, I don't if trading him now would help that happen. I wouldn't be surprised if some teams were looking at our bullpen and finding a thing or two that they like there too. It's really hard to guess who we could get for those guys.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oliver Perez.

Ibanez should be a no-go. He's 41, and we wouldn't get much in return for him, no matter how many home runs he hits. He cannot possibly get better. There is no upside for him short or long term for another team.

The main reason to keep him is that he's a tremendous clubhouse leader and and a guy the kids can look up to and get advice from...something they've been without for the past several years in which they've had BRENDAN RYAN, and MIGUEL OLIVO as the leaders in the clubhouse. He also came up with the M's organization, and I'd expect he would want very much to retire here. Those of us who saw him playing with Tacoma back in the 90s and then with the M's understand that.

Dealing Raul would be moronic.

I see potential in dealing someone like Oliver Perez and perhaps Paxton or Maurer, but think Z would f it up.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oliver Perez.

Ibanez should be a no-go. He's 41, and we wouldn't get much in return for him, no matter how many home runs he hits. He cannot possibly get better. There is no upside for him short or long term for another team.

The main reason to keep him is that he's a tremendous clubhouse leader and and a guy the kids can look up to and get advice from...something they've been without for the past several years in which they've had BRENDAN RYAN, and MIGUEL OLIVO as the leaders in the clubhouse. He also came up with the M's organization, and I'd expect he would want very much to retire here. Those of us who saw him playing with Tacoma back in the 90s and then with the M's understand that.

Dealing Raul would be moronic.

I see potential in dealing someone like Oliver Perez and perhaps Paxton or Maurer, but think Z would f it up.

I don't think it's moronic to deal Raul. Trades between non-contending teams and contending teams happen all the time. A player like Ibanez is very valuable to a contending team with needs from any kind of injuries that could happen between now and the deadline. They also won't hesitate on giving the M's something valuable. Same can be said for Morales.

I also think some kind of move will be made for Ryan as well, he's still a defensive asset, but at the end of the day he doesn't have much value anymore. I kinda expect him to be DFA by then if not traded.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think it's moronic to deal Raul. Trades between non-contending teams and contending teams happen all the time. A player like Ibanez is very valuable to a contending team with needs from any kind of injuries that could happen between now and the deadline. They also won't hesitate on giving the M's something valuable. Same can be said for Morales.

I also think some kind of move will be made for Ryan as well, he's still a defensive asset, but at the end of the day he doesn't have much value anymore. I kinda expect him to be DFA by then if not traded.

Agree to disagree on Ibanez. Trading him for shit makes no sense to me, and all we'd get is shit. If Z and company are going to keep rushing kids up, they need some sort of stability in the clubhouse. Ibanez and Morales are the closest we've come to that in 5 years. Before them, it was Ryan, Olivo, and Ichiro, who obviously had little on his mind besides leaving.

I'm indifferent to Ryan. Would be nice to keep him as a utility guy. Not sure whether or not any team would want him as anything but a utility guy. If so, trade him most definitely. If not, why bother?

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we would fetch much for Raul. He is hitting really well but we do have to remember he is 41. Any team that trades for him would have no guarantee he's going to keep his current level of production. He could drop off any day now. I've been waiting for it to happen since I made the thread expressing my pleasure with how well he has been hitting, and that was at 12 home runs.

Trading for Raul would be a gamble for any team looking to acquire him. He could keep up his current level of production (What are the odds of that?) or he could drop off and be the player he was with the Yankees last year, which is far more reasonable.

I was obviously wrong when we signed him, I figured he wouldn't even crack 15 HRs this season. So my guess is pretty useless when it comes to Raul. All I know is that it has been a pleasant surprise and I can't see any team willing to give up something decent for him. It's not like Raul is keeping some young kid on the bench, no rush on trading him.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure we would fetch much for Raul. He is hitting really well but we do have to remember he is 41. Any team that trades for him would have no guarantee he's going to keep his current level of production. He could drop off any day now. I've been waiting for it to happen since I made the thread expressing my pleasure with how well he has been hitting, and that was at 12 home runs.

Trading for Raul would be a gamble for any team looking to acquire him. He could keep up his current level of production (What are the odds of that?) or he could drop off and be the player he was with the Yankees last year, which is far more reasonable.

I was obviously wrong when we signed him, I figured he wouldn't even crack 15 HRs this season. So my guess is pretty useless when it comes to Raul. All I know is that it has been a pleasant surprise and I can't see any team willing to give up something decent for him. It's not like Raul is keeping some young kid on the bench, no rush on trading him.

We're on the same page in pretty much every way. I was skeptical with signing him, but have since been pleasantly surprised by his contribution to the team, and I'm not just talking about HR's.

He won't yield much in a trade, imo, and is extremely valuable for the team this year and possibly next year.

Griffey has talked time and again about the importance of veteran influences in the clubhouse and how they helped shape him as a player, whether it be his Edgar or Bone. The same is true with Arod talking about Griffey and Edgar and Bone while he was in his first years in MLB.

The M's kids are being rushed up at light speed, and they have literally no such influences, and haven't for years. I'd do everything possible to hold onto Raul and Morales. Morales won't fetch a whole lot either because of his ankle. The M's will be in control if they give him anything approaching a decent qualifying offer.

The one thing that the M's have in abundance is pitching prospect talent, and bullpen guys already at the MLB like Perez. I just pray that Z doesn't mess it up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We're on the same page in pretty much every way. I was skeptical with signing him, but have since been pleasantly surprised by his contribution to the team, and I'm not just talking about HR's.

He won't yield much in a trade, imo, and is extremely valuable for the team this year and possibly next year.

Griffey has talked time and again about the importance of veteran influences in the clubhouse and how they helped shape him as a player, whether it be his Edgar or Bone. The same is true with Arod talking about Griffey and Edgar and Bone while he was in his first years in MLB.

The M's kids are being rushed up at light speed, and they have literally no such influences, and haven't for years. I'd do everything possible to hold onto Raul and Morales. Morales won't fetch a whole lot either because of his ankle. The M's will be in control if they give him anything approaching a decent qualifying offer.

The one thing that the M's have in abundance is pitching prospect talent, and bullpen guys already at the MLB like Perez. I just pray that Z doesn't mess it up.

I actually disagree about Kendrys Morales. I feel like of all the players the Mariners could realistically trade he is likely one of the most valuable. He moves about as fast as a cow but he's a good middle of the order hitter. He had an MVP caliber season in 2009 so the upside is obviously there, plus he is in his prime at 30 years old.

I wouldn't trade Morales though, mostly because I believe there is the chance the Mariners can re-sign him. He will likely get a big deal in free agency but I don't want to see the Mariners let Morales walk. He's one of the best hitters on this team and he needs to be retained.

The Mariners don't have anyone remotely close in the system or in our lineup to replace the production Morales could bring us in the future. I think that he will be a hot commodity around the trade deadline, I'm just not sure if he gets moved or not. If Morales gets traded or not depends on if the Mariners realistically think they can/will re-sign him or not.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually disagree about Kendrys Morales. I feel like of all the players the Mariners could realistically trade he is likely one of the most valuable. He moves about as fast as a cow but he's a good middle of the order hitter. He had an MVP caliber season in 2009 so the upside is obviously there, plus he is in his prime at 30 years old.

I wouldn't trade Morales though, mostly because I believe there is the chance the Mariners can re-sign him. He will likely get a big deal in free agency but I don't want to see the Mariners let Morales walk. He's one of the best hitters on this team and he needs to be retained.

The Mariners don't have anyone remotely close in the system or in our lineup to replace the production Morales could bring us in the future. I think that he will be a hot commodity around the trade deadline, I'm just not sure if he gets moved or not. If Morales gets traded or not depends on if the Mariners realistically think they can/will re-sign him or not.

With the ankle, Morales is only valuable on the DH market, and he hasn't shown himself to be a great DH.

If they can get something good for him, then I'm all for getting rid of him. I just can't imagine teams giving up much for a guy with his numbers and about zero potential as a position player.

We'll see soon enough.

All I know is that Morales isn't in a position to NOT accept a lowball QO from the M's. Ruining his ankle precluded a big FA deal, and his current numbers aren't good enough to fetch a whole lot when he hits FA.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the ankle, Morales is only valuable on the DH market, and he hasn't shown himself to be a great DH.

If they can get something good for him, then I'm all for getting rid of him. I just can't imagine teams giving up much for a guy with his numbers and about zero potential as a position player.

We'll see soon enough.

All I know is that Morales isn't in a position to NOT accept a lowball QO from the M's. Ruining his ankle precluded a big FA deal, and his current numbers aren't good enough to fetch a whole lot when he hits FA.

I'm sure there are plenty of teams willing to pay for a 30 year old who can hit .270-.290 with 20-30 HRs and 100 RBIs.

I doubt the ankle is really a big deal. He is hitting well now and has continued to hit well. The long-term concern might be there but I'm sure that is not the only concern with someone of his "conditioning"

Boras is his agent and he will likely write a novel citing the fact that Morales is (arguably) the best hitter in the Mariners lineup right now.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure there are plenty of teams willing to pay for a 30 year old who can
Boras is his agent and he will likely write a novel citing the fact that Morales is (arguably) the best hitter in the Mariners lineup right now.

Which will induce giggles from competent GMs.

He's played 2 complete seasons in 6 years in the majors, runs like Montero, and can't field a position.

M's in the driver's seat with this one. Like I said, I'm all for trading him for anything of value. I just don't think most GMs are that stupid. We'll see.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which will induce giggles from competent GMs.

He's played 2 complete seasons in 6 years in the majors, runs like Montero, and can't field a position.

M's in the driver's seat with this one. Like I said, I'm all for trading him for anything of value. I just don't think most GMs are that stupid. We'll see.

But what can he do? Hit. That's what he will get paid to do. Unless he has some sort of serious injury he will get at least $40m this offseason.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But what can he do? Hit. That's what he will get paid to do. Unless he has some sort of serious injury he will get at least $40m this offseason.

I have decided that I like you.

We'll see soon enough about Morales.

dude82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I could see Boras asking for a 4 years/$40 contract from a team and I can see a team being willing to give it to him. I'm not sure if that team will be the Mariners, but some team will. He's been half decent at first base when he's played there, but obviously they're trying to make it so that he doesn't have to play there too often. Obviously because of the leg he can't play there everyday, but he wouldn't be the first 1B/DH combo player to make that kind of money.

The thing that might be the deciding factor in whether the M's will be the team that gives him the contract that he/Boras wants is that he can hit at Safeco Field and the Mariners should like that about him enough to give him a contract good enough to keep him. This year, he's had almost the same number of at-bats at home as on the road and his splits in terms of H, XBH, R, HR, RBI, SO and BB are pretty damn even so far. Where the gap tends to widen one way or the other is when you look at BA (he's hitting nearly 40 points higher at home), OBP% (24 points higher at home) and SLG% (30 points higher on the road). Those are some pretty big swings in those final 3 categories, but they do seem to indicate that he likes hitting at Safeco Field and can, to use a baseball cliche, "see the ball well" here. His career numbers at Safeco Field also seem to indicate that. He's got a .296/.350/.489 career line at Safeco Field and while I'd like to see that SLG% come up some, the M's should be falling all over themselves to keep a hitter that can actually hit at Safeco Field.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey everyone, I'm another outcast from the ESPN boards just hoping to carry on the conversation about the M's.

To the OP's question, I don't really see the M's doing any significant trades this year because I don't think the higher ups will allow Jack Z and his staff to make trades since they're on the Hot Seat.

If I'm wrong about that though, I think the best you could hope for is a other teams Top 10 prospect (probably their 4th or 5th best prospect) and a relief arm for Morales. I don't see Iwakuma or Raul going anywhere.

mcnabb7542

Resident Fake Asian!
Hoopla Cash
$ 3.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cezero;3208446 Griffey has talked time and again about the importance of veteran influences in the clubhouse and how they helped shape him as a player said:
I think this is the best option, you keep what you have, let these younger players keep learning from some very good role models in the clubhouse, they havent had that before. You see if Ack and Saunders can find there bats again, you keep running Miller out there at shortstop, ( his batting cant be worse the Ryan) Then you get the younger pitchers healthy and move them up, let them get there feet wet.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let me start by saying Z hasnt given me any confidence that he can hit on a deadline deal that will help us down the road. See Cliff Lee, Doug Fister, Eric Bedard, etc.

That being said for all pending free agents we may be better suited to hold on to them make a qualifying offer and either resign them or get a draft pick. Plus I dont see anyone on our team particulary worth anyones top prospects.

That being said I can see the following guys possibly getting traded.

Oliver Perez-I see him as the most likely one traded. Lefty relievers tend to have value in deadline deals and hes had a great 1st half.

Joe Saunders- He wont get much but can be 4-5 starter on a team needing to fill in the back end of the rotation. Plus being a lefty gives him some value.

Morales-Impact bat for someone for sure. The fact that he's a rent a player, a Boras client in the final year of his deal I think hurts his value. I dont think we get an offer worth dealing him for but their probably be lots of teams asking. Im sure the Yankees would love to have him.

Morse-Been injury plagued most of the year. An impact bat when healthy but he hasnt been healthy and is also in a walk year so I dont think we get a great return for him. I'd rather just hang on to him.

Ibanez- Here's an interesting one. I could see most teams being interested in him. I think it comes down his own preference since he's towards the end of his career and his family lives over here. I think the only way he gets dealt is if ok's the deal 1st.

Other then that unless they decide to trade Iwakuma which I hope they dont and shouldnt there isnt much else to look at.

I think it will it be a quiet deadline and with our recent trade success or lack there of, thats fine by me.

TheDman875

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just off the top of my head, possible buyers (with solid to decent farm systems) for Ibanez, Morales, Perez, etc.:

Arizona (Ranked #10) - They need more power in their lineup and Goldschmidt is the only guy so far.

Boston (Ranked #4) - Possible to get Carp back here for a full time OF? Doubt it, but they do have Napoli to play 1st if that were to happen. Throw Smoak in the deal perhaps.

New York Yankees (Ranked #12) - Cashman could be desperate as the Yankees are sitting 6 games out right now.

Cincinnati (Ranked #16) - They could really use a bat in LF.

Either way, there are a nice handful of teams that I'm sure would part with some nice chips for their playoff push and Seattle has some nice bait to dangle out there.

Last edited by a moderator: