• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't. but i looked up what the padres gave up, and it wasn't equivalent to a walker imo.

our farm is certainly thin.

Which is why Jack should be on the unemployment line not the general manager of a major league franchise. He gives the excuse of why his tenure has been so shitty because he has spent so much time rebuilding the farm system but basically any deal he would make would be gutting the system.

It doesn't matter what the Padres offered or what Walker is really worth he has backed himself into a corner by speaking poorly of Walker and allowing his loud mouth manager to flat out rip the guy.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't. but i looked up what the padres gave up, and it wasn't equivalent to a walker imo.

our farm is certainly thin.

love that i got neg repped for this, of all the things i've said

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, Upton's name was mentioned by Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune earlier this week: "It seems the Braves are no longer demanding that Taijuan Walker be included in any such swap... That could be a game-changer."

------------------------

So Jack couldn't get it done even if Walker was off the table? Jack is so funny that way. :L

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5h 5 hours ago [/ame]

There was no deal, Hart says, that was going to bring back a young major-league-ready player, so he went for best prospect package.[URL="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Braves?src=hash"]#Braves
0 replies 27 retweets 15 favorites

This makes me think we didnt even offer Elias and/or Miller/Taylor which is unfortunate. I wouldnt have done Walker but it seems like we had the pieces to get it done without giving up to much. Not only is there a hole in RF but Ackley again as of now, has no competition and is essentially handed a starting job despite another mediocre year. It must be tough on Z to give up on him because that was his pick. Oh well just rambling at this point I suppose.

Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
5h 5 hours ago

There was no deal, Hart says, that was going to bring back a young major-league-ready player, so he went for best prospect package.#Braves.
0 replies 27 retweets 15 favorites

This makes me think we didnt even offer Elias and/or Miller/Taylor which is unfortunate. I wouldnt have done Walker but it seems like we had the pieces to get it done without giving up to much. Not only is there a hole in RF but Ackley again as of now, has no competition and is essentially handed a starting job despite another mediocre year. It must be tough on Z to give up on him because that was his pick. Oh well just rambling at this point I suppose.

rambing? not at all.

we'll never find out for sure, but i really wish we could find out if the m's were ever in on this.

Last edited by a moderator:

ehwq

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aoki+Rasmus are probably the top two free agent OF's left but you never know they could make a big trade to get ANYONE...don't worry just yet.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Which is why Jack should be on the unemployment line not the general manager of a major league franchise. He gives the excuse of why his tenure has been so shitty because he has spent so much time rebuilding the farm system but basically any deal he would make would be gutting the system.

It doesn't matter what the Padres offered or what Walker is really worth he has backed himself into a corner by speaking poorly of Walker and allowing his loud mouth manager to flat out rip the guy.

To be fair the farm system is now thin cause anyone with talent is already called up......mostly too early which doesnt help, he can be blamed for their lack of performance though.

Ackley, seager, zunino, walker, paxton, miller, franklin, pineda, were all thought pretty highly of when in the mi ors

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, Upton's name was mentioned by Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune earlier this week: "It seems the Braves are no longer demanding that Taijuan Walker be included in any such swap... That could be a game-changer."

------------------------

So Jack couldn't get it done even if Walker was off the table? Jack is so funny that way. :L

Or atl liked the pads players better then our not walker offer......

Or z didnt want to trade anything for a one and done clubhouse question mark......anyone a little iffy on upton....for a guy so young and talened atl is now the second team to trade him away.....a little odd no
?

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Or z didnt want to trade anything for a one and done clubhouse question mark......anyone a little iffy on upton....for a guy so young and talened atl is now the second team to trade him away.....a little odd no
?

You're probably over-thinking here...John Hart made it known Atlanta's payroll was higher than execs wanted in 2014, so it was expected they were going to look to reduce their 2015 payroll, where Upton was owed $14.5M.
Atlanta Braves Payroll, according to John Hart

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.anyone a little iffy on upton....for a guy so young and talened atl is now the second team to trade him away.....a little odd no
?

No. When teams stop trading for a guy, that is when I would worry. Both teams traded him for different needs at the respective times. Atlanta is rebuilding so why night get more than a sandwich pick for him?

Could have, but that may explain why they are needing to rebuild. If we offered Elias or Taylor and parts, then they blew it. Who is to say, but what I do know is we still don't have a real OF for the last 5 years. 3 positions, not 1 real OF in 5 years. That is just a wow!

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. When teams stop trading for a guy, that is when I would worry. Both teams traded him for different needs at the respective times. Atlanta is rebuilding so why night get more than a sandwich pick for him?

Could have, but that may explain why they are needing to rebuild. If we offered Elias or Taylor and parts, then they blew it. Who is to say, but what I do know is we still don't have a real OF for the last 5 years. 3 positions, not 1 real OF in 5 years. That is just a wow!

Im sure youre right...i thought it was odd zona traded him initially though, and now atl. But you are right atl is in rebuild mode.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be fair the farm system is now thin cause anyone with talent is already called up......mostly too early which doesnt help, he can be blamed for their lack of performance though.

Ackley, seager, zunino, walker, paxton, miller, franklin, pineda, were all thought pretty highly of when in the mi ors

Outside of Zunino and Seager, who really has been rushed through the system to the major league level? Other guys didn't get their minor league AB's but they were outperforming everyone else in the system including the majors except Carp outperformed Smoak.

Jack's entire tenure has been concentrating on the farm system yet has nobody ready to step in to help the big club or even be able to make 2 deals that doesn't cripple the farm system. He is just an inept GM and there aren't any other words.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside of Zunino and Seager, who really has been rushed through the system to the major league level? Other guys didn't get their minor league AB's but they were outperforming everyone else in the system including the majors except Carp outperformed Smoak.

Jack's entire tenure has been concentrating on the farm system yet has nobody ready to step in to help the big club or even be able to make 2 deals that doesn't cripple the farm system. He is just an inept GM and there aren't any other words.

While i dont disagree,,,,he has the team primed for a playoff run like we havnt seen since 01-02

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While i dont disagree,,,,he has the team primed for a playoff run like we havnt seen since 01-02

The problem with looking back to last year's "playoff run" it took a couple of things that are nearly guaranteed to not happen again. It took the AL east being horrendous, Mariners historical pitching, and the collapse of the teams shooting for the 2 wild cards last year to even give the Mariners a taste of a playoff chase. Lloyd couldn't handle the chase last year so I'm not sure how he is going to manage this season when the obstacles are going to be tougher.

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The problem with looking back to last year's "playoff run" it took a couple of things that are nearly guaranteed to not happen again. It took the AL east being horrendous, Mariners historical pitching, and the collapse of the teams shooting for the 2 wild cards last year to even give the Mariners a taste of a playoff chase. Lloyd couldn't handle the chase last year so I'm not sure how he is going to manage this season when the obstacles are going to be tougher.

Dude your going out of the way to be negative......the al east? Wtf do they have to do with us? All we need to do is improve a few games, the two wild card spots are gonna be around 89-92 wins. I dont care if the uniforms are orioles black, royals blue or pin stripes. Will boston and ny be better? Maybe.....but then kc and oakland look to be losing ground.......

There are less great teams, its a race to the 90 win mark. Once there let the chips fall...

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude your going out of the way to be negative......the al east? Wtf do they have to do with us? All we need to do is improve a few games, the two wild card spots are gonna be around 89-92 wins. I dont care if the uniforms are orioles black, royals blue or pin stripes. Will boston and ny be better? Maybe.....but then kc and oakland look to be losing ground.......

There are less great teams, its a race to the 90 win mark. Once there let the chips fall...

I'm not trying to be negative it's being realistic. This team has zero chance of winning the AL west so having the AL east (a division that has teams that only get better at the deadline if they are in it) being down or up is to paramount to the Mariners. With the Yankees and Red Sox being good and in it that makes the Mariners have to be the 2nd best team in the west which to this point doesn't seem possible, sure the A's did a dumpster fire but the Astros are going to improve as well as the Rangers cannot possibly be devastated with injuries again.

The team's goal should always be winning the division title, it's just hard for me as a fan to be satisfied with the offseason or the GM that constructs a team that's goal is the 2nd WC spot.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
+ i think our rotation will do better this year than last
+ now we have a dh

neutral about our infield. 1B may be an issue, but I'm okay with what we have going on at SS this year.

- the odds of the pen having back to back historically great seasons are pretty slim. pen success from individuals is ephemeral enough. and we still need lefty middle/long relief help.
- the entire outfield is a disaster no matter how you look at it.

I'm not sure why people are so confident that all this team needs to think about is winning a couple of more games so they maybe/hopefully can nab a wildcard. I see KC staying competitive, and lots of other teams in the AL are going to be better next year. Plus the whole "we were 1 game away from taking the 2nd wilcard" thing is a really awful way of deciding how you're going to articulate and improve a team, and if that's Zintendo's point of view, then that's sad.

Again, I'd be extremely happy with this offseason if our perennial outfield weakness had been addressed in any way. Getting rid of Saunders and replacing him with Ruggles and some other platooner yet to be named (like maybe Miller from what I saw some M's beat guys saying)? That's just bad.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Jack's GM strategy...:hope: