• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Melky gone, big splash time.

Walker-Taylor-Marlette-Maurer

For

Hamels-Byrd-Howard (Half his pay remaining)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh, oh yes.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sodo Mojo crazy trade idea:

The Washington Nationals send OF Bryce Harper, SS Ian Desmond, and SP Jordan Zimmermann to the Seattle Mariners for SP Taijuan Walker, SS Brad Miller, 3B D.J. Peterson, SS/2B Ketel Marte, and SP J.A. Happ.

Why not? Time to go all in.

Thisnamewasntaken

Formerly from ESPN
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sodo Mojo crazy trade idea:

The Washington Nationals send OF Bryce Harper, SS Ian Desmond, and SP Jordan Zimmermann to the Seattle Mariners for SP Taijuan Walker, SS Brad Miller, 3B D.J. Peterson, SS/2B Ketel Marte, and SP J.A. Happ.

Why not? Time to go all in.

Lol why not?

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article put out today at USSM and I came across this little tidbit in the main article. I found it interesting and wondered what two transactions this could be referring to?

What if the Mariners successfully convinced Josh Hamilton to sign with them instead of the Angels? What if the Mariners successfully convinced Prince Fielder to sign with them instead of the Tigers? Last winter, the Mariners offered Nick Franklin and more for a mediocre short-term starting pitcher. When the deal was accepted, the Mariners pulled it off the table. Recently, the Mariners declined a trade proposal that, in the short-term, I think would’ve made them probably the best team in the majors. It would’ve set them up to be something of a 2015 juggernaut. It was turned down, but it didn’t have to be turned down, and the proposal wasn’t absurd. So many things, and more, that come close to happening, that just don’t happen. We hear about a few of them. We don’t hear about most of them.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was reading an article put out today at USSM and I came across this little tidbit in the main article. I found it interesting and wondered what two transactions this could be referring to?

What if the Mariners successfully convinced Josh Hamilton to sign with them instead of the Angels? What if the Mariners successfully convinced Prince Fielder to sign with them instead of the Tigers? Last winter, the Mariners offered Nick Franklin and more for a mediocre short-term starting pitcher. When the deal was accepted, the Mariners pulled it off the table. Recently, the Mariners declined a trade proposal that, in the short-term, I think would’ve made them probably the best team in the majors. It would’ve set them up to be something of a 2015 juggernaut. It was turned down, but it didn’t have to be turned down, and the proposal wasn’t absurd. So many things, and more, that come close to happening, that just don’t happen. We hear about a few of them. We don’t hear about most of them.

I wish Bavasi would have pulled a deal or two off of the table :L

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper was a player I was going to suggest trying to make a move for due to his contract dispute with the Nationals.

I'd do that deal proposed in a heartbeat although I don't think the Nationals would go for it. Considering that Zimmermann, Desmond and Harper all need (or in Harper's case want) new contracts, the Mariners would have to do it with the mentality that they'd extend those guys for the trade not to be just a 1 year move.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bryce Harper was a player I was going to suggest trying to make a move for due to his contract dispute with the Nationals.

I'd do that deal proposed in a heartbeat although I don't think the Nationals would go for it. Considering that Zimmermann, Desmond and Harper all need (or in Harper's case want) new contracts, the Mariners would have to do it with the mentality that they'd extend those guys for the trade not to be just a 1 year move.

And maybe those three were the big trade we turned down. 2 temps fits the one year thing he talks about.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm as negative as anybody, but the cruz signing makes me think that the m's general attitude is "win now." as incompetent as z has been, i can't imagine that he would sign cruz and then leave a giant gap in the OF with a trade. the most incompetent and GM/front office in the world wouldn't do those 2 moves within a couple of weeks of each other unless it was part of something bigger.

other than cabrera or some bizarro-world trade, there's just nothing else out there to fix the OF problem, so we'll find out soon enough, i guess.

hoping beyond hope that z/nintendo don't prove me wrong.

i'm okay with what we have at SS if and only if we get a good bat/OF. if that ends up being a big problem with our 2 kids duking it out there, it can be solved later. not as high on the triage list as, say, lefty middle/long relief. i still think that seeing seager get a $100 million contract is going to light a fire under some of our kids' asses, miller and taylor chief among them. would also like to see a little more rotation depth.

sorry to quote myself, but this offseason has represented a bit of a sea change for the way i look at jack z.

still waiting to find out if the m's were the club that offered melky an extra year and for how much, but just the fact that z rejected such a huge trade with the nats shows me that he's still working on getting a complete team on the field, and not just going through the motions.

again, hoping he continues to validate what i was thinking before the chicago/melky signing.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Does anyone actually see a blockbuster deal coming though, and if it does do any envision a scenario that the Mariners don't get the short end of the stick on it?

Good thing there is a ton of amazing prospects ready to step in since that's what Jack keeps throwing down peoples throat :L

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is an article on ESPN Insider now by Jim Bowden listing the top 5 trade partners for Atlanta and Upton. It has Seattle listed as #2.

2. Seattle Mariners

sea.gif
The Mariners' signing of outfielder/DH Nelson Cruz bolsters the middle of their lineup, but they're not done. They'd like to add one more bat, and GM Jack Zduriencik has always coveted Upton. In fact, he once agreed to a deal to get the Upton when the outfielder played for the Arizona Diamondbacks, but Upton nixed that deal with his limited no-trade clause. Upton likely feels differently about Seattle now and would accept a trade there if it happens.

In that original deal, Zduriencik actually included pitching prospect Taijuan Walker, but since Upton now has only one year remaining on his deal, he likely wouldn't include Walker this time. However, the Mariners do have several prospects the Braves like, and there are several ways the two teams can match up. The Braves would love to get 2B Ketel Marte, a fine switch-hitting second baseman who is capable of stealing 25-30 bases. They are also high on pitchers Edwin Diaz, and Ryan Yarbrough.

The Braves likely will start by asking for D.J. Peterson or even Gabe Guerrero, but the Mariners aren't likely to trade either for a one-year rental. I think the most likely scenario is …

Possible trade: Upton for infield prospect Ketel Marte and pitching prospect Edwin Diaz.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

According to a report on MLBTR, they turned down a trade of Zimmerman and Desmond for Walker and Miller. I understand why Jack turned it down but I think he going to have to accept a similar trade if they ever want to make a serious post season run.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to a report on MLBTR, they turned down a trade of Zimmerman and Desmond for Walker and Miller. I understand why Jack turned it down but I think he going to have to accept a similar trade if they ever want to make a serious post season run.

Thanks for finding it. With that said, I don't see this as a juggernaut making deal like article indicated. Now throw in Harper in a deal and then you have a earth changing deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Question regarding Nats offer:

What if we countered with Taylor and Elias for 1 year of Desmond and Zimmerman? Would you do it? I would in a heartbeat because of the two picks we would most likely get when they walk would replace what we gave up. Benefit for Nats is they rid themselves of $27M next year and get two controllable players. Win-win?

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

What if we countered with Taylor and Elias for 1 year of Desmond and Zimmerman? Would you do it? I would in a heartbeat because of the two picks we would most likely get when they walk would replace what we gave up. Benefit for Nats is they rid themselves of $27M next year and get two controllable players. Win-win?

Yea definitely would be down for switching out Miller with Taylor. I like Elias but getting a bonafide #2 starter would be amazing. I would jump on it but not sure they would do it but maybe. There are a lot of questions for them going forward. Harpers situation, Fister is a FA next year, Strasburg hits arbitration. Last year seemed like their year to make noise and it didnt pan out.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I truly feel the Mariners need to try and trade both Kuma and Elias now why their value is higher than I feel it will be once the season. I like both Taylor and Miller but neither are off limits IMO. Also IMO Jack has boxed himself so bad that Walkers value isn't as high as it should because the Mariners desperately need him in their rotation which makes any blockbuster deal revolve around Paxton not Walker.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

something like this is probably going to be necessary to get what we need.

i don't weigh the draft picks we'd get after they turn down our QO's all that heavily, but even outside of that, i think i wouldn't hate what you're saying too much.