• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners 2014/2015 Offseason

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:suds:

Jack's GM strategy...:hope:

so true

and i just checked, it wasn't a beat guy who was talking about miller platooning OF.

it was your favorite, NW. the mouthpiece of the mariners: shannon drayer.

;)

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so true

and i just checked, it wasn't a beat guy who was talking about miller platooning OF.

;)

Ug! His bat as you know makes him an intriguing SS. His bat as you know makes his an average RF at best and if at his best.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so true

;)

She mentioned that he was trying right field in warm ups last year. I just don't understand the thinking if that is something they want to try. It just seems hard to imagine how much stress that is going to put on the pitching staff with their arms and Jackson/the CF having those two beside him.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus it is MLB baseball. How in the hell can you not get a real OF??????? Should be the easiest thing in the game to do.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus it is MLB baseball. How in the hell can you not get a real OF??????? Should be the easiest thing in the game to do.

Yea its maddening. I mean Ackley, Almonte and Romero are all converted infielders and now we really want to mess with Miller too. I dont think his defense is as bad as people think. He wont win a gold glove ever but he can play there.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it is always a good idea to take non-hitting infielders and making them outfielders because there just isn't enough trained outfielders around the game of baseball. - Jackism

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya it is always a good idea to take non-hitting infielders and making them outfielders because there just isn't enough trained outfielders around the game of baseball. - Jackism

Well it's not just the IF to OF, it's that you shouldn't ever take a middle infielder and stick him in a COF position. IMO that is the hardest transition in any sport especially in the majors with no experiment in the minors. Going Willie Bloomquist and going from SS to 3rd then to OF is the way to go if you want to transition IMO.

One thing I will always respect Ackley for is that he took becoming a 2B on serious (and IMO a detriment to his hitting) and became a gold glove caliber 2B, then made the transition to LF and even though he has looked like a clown plenty of times but he has at least surpassed Raul Ibanez in terms of fielding ability.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Gold Glove caliber 2B' is a bit of a stretch. He was average, but agree he gave it his all.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"Gold Glove caliber 2B' is a bit of a stretch. He was average, but agree he gave it his all.

I don't know the numbers but to me he was at least in the conversation of a gold Glover. In the minors he was a joke and most likely the worst fielding 2B in the organization but he turned himself into a at least solid fielder. Either way he looks lost a lot in the outfield and I feel Miller would look lost too and it would put too much pressure on the staff to experiment. Its not like they are sacrificing defense for all star offense.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Miller opinion and it just doesn't make sense at this to have to experiment over and over when OF has more true players at that position than any other. And like you said, it isn't like we are putting a Utley in his prime bat out there when sacrificing some defense might make sense.

As far as Ackley and the GG goes, I didn't think Cano deserved to be in the top 3 of that either. Ackley's 2B issues for me was footwork around the bases. He didn't have any. Cano could make a throw around his body in highlight fashion, but he doesn't have the ability to bend on balls in either direction that hug the ground like some true GG 2B can do. That is my opinion for what it's worth.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the Miller opinion and it just doesn't make sense at this to have to experiment over and over when OF has more true players at that position than any other. And like you said, it isn't like we are putting a Utley in his prime bat out there when sacrificing some defense might make sense.

As far as Ackley and the GG goes, I didn't think Cano deserved to be in the top 3 of that either. Ackley's 2B issues for me was footwork around the bases. He didn't have any. Cano could make a throw around his body in highlight fashion, but he doesn't have the ability to bend on balls in either direction that hug the ground like some true GG 2B can do. That is my opinion for what it's worth.

I guess we will have to agree to disagree, to me footwork is great and can turn a good fielder into a crappy one or vice versa but in his case I thought he developed amazing instincts which IMO is the toughest but important part of fielding. I'll agree he didn't have great footwork but from when I saw him trying to turn double plays and go back hand in Tacoma the improvement was night and day. So either way, that is something I can fully respect from the guy is how he has handled the two position changes and I think that is part of the problem with his hitting is that he is trying to work on his hitting, his confidence and then trying to become a major league fielder.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B6JTTq-CYAAIIxS.png:large

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from what i've read, montero's been working out for real, but who knows.

i still think that lomo IS a backup first baseman though, so it's still a really weak spot.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
really weak.