• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariner offense ranked 15th?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. Seattle was 21st in runs, 23rd in average, and top 5 in HRs. Top 15 in at bats.

Cano shouldn't have the season he did again... Cruz will shift to DH which is a definite upgrade over Morrison and we get essentially Aoki as a replacement who wont generate the power but he'll definitely pick up the average where Lomo was TERRIBLE. Lind is IMO better than Trumbo and strikes out less. His OBP has generally always been higher.

Lastly, ANYTHING over Zunino is an upgrade. I think Zunino hit for the WORST average (which involved a ton of Ks) out of anyone with over a considerable amount of at bats (basically starting) last season. I remember looking at ESPN pretty late in the season and out of games played (a decent amount anyway) Zunino was far and away the worst. Great defense granted, but still. Even the paltry .188 that Iannetta hit, still better. Oh OBP for Iannetta vs. Zunino? Yah .293 vs. .230. Night and day.

Seagar/Marte/Smith/Martin are probably a wash (in either change or staying the same).

So pretty much every position stayed the same or upgraded. Cruz is expected to drop a bit (just age) but Cano should even that out considering how terrible he played in the first half which seems legit based on his stomach bug. Guy finished the 2nd half of the season with MVP like stats, 15HRs and .331 average in 17 games... uhh yah.

15 may be a little high, but no reason Ms shouldn't be in the teens.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of like how the Mariners were a Vegas favorite to win the world series last year. I love the M's but this franchise has a long way to go. It seems whenever the pitching was great the hitting would disappear and vice-versa. Cano needs to be consistent all year long in order for them to even contend. It seems when the season is over he finally shows up.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of like how the Mariners were a Vegas favorite to win the world series last year. I love the M's but this franchise has a long way to go. It seems whenever the pitching was great the hitting would disappear and vice-versa. Cano needs to be consistent all year long in order for them to even contend. It seems when the season is over he finally shows up.

Uh, getting ranked 15th (middle of the pack) for offense is nothing like being the favorites to win the World Series lol. Think everyone that has a clue about baseball thought that was the biggest joke of last season by far.

Guywithtoaster

Don't bane the dillies!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,515.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Uh, getting ranked 15th (middle of the pack) for offense is nothing like being the favorites to win the World Series lol. Think everyone that has a clue about baseball thought that was the biggest joke of last season by far.

For the mariners to be ranked 15th in offense is a major improvement. obviously rankings mean squat before the season starts. I think plenty of us watching the team last season were hoping they would play like a 15th ranked offense when it mattered.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lind is a really great addition to your team. Aoki should help. Cano almost has to have a better year. Cruz is a monster. Seager is a major plus. I think estimating them to potentially have the 15th ranked offense has plenty of justification.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For the mariners to be ranked 15th in offense is a major improvement. obviously rankings mean squat before the season starts. I think plenty of us watching the team last season were hoping they would play like a 15th ranked offense when it mattered.

I guess... I dunno. I still thought our offense was 'OKAY' given we had the Strikeout Kid in the lineup and Cano blew chunks (quite literally) the first half the season.

Our bullpen going from #2 to bottom 10 (#22) was the bigger issue.

Again, Zunino gone, Lind > Trumbo, Cruz >>>>>>>>> Lomo, Aoki not a bad replacement for Cruz for average, Cano 2015 2nd half >>>>>>>>>> Cano 2015 1st half....

I think there's reason to believe that the #23 ranked average and #5 ranked HRs is middle of the road offensively.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our relief pitching is our weakness... Once a strength over a year ago is our glaring weakness. .. Thx, Z

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think our relief pitching is our weakness... Once a strength over a year ago is our glaring weakness. .. Thx, Z

Bullpens are one of the easiest, and cheapest, things to fix in baseball. If ours sucks again this year, it will be one Dipoto. Z didn't help, but Dipoto didn't fix either.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bullpen is definitely questionable. I'm intrigued by Zych but other then that not a ton to sink my teeth into. Too many guys that you are just crossing your fingers on to hope they bounce back.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
15th would be fine but that means pitching needs to be top 5 for any chance. Build the frickin team to win at Safeco Field first then worry about adding pieces to win road games. Baby steps but you play 81 in one ballpark, which was Jacks biggest problem IMO you need a defense to play at Safeco, not a bunch of converted guys plugging in a position.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pre-season projections are always pretty funny.

Z's tenure and rebuilding effort adds up to Seager, Cano, and Cruz. That's it. I'm not talking about Walker or Paxton or anybody else's "potential". I'm talking about reality. And Z certainly wasn't the reason that Felix signed here long term.

The next couple of years are going to be the first real rebuilding (I hope) plan we've had in almost 15 years. Pitiful that's how long Bavasi/Z have been at the helm, but there it is. This team won't contend for anything for awhile, and it will be interesting to see where fingers get pointed with local and national media when there aren't instant results.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This team won't contend for anything for awhile, and it will be interesting to see where fingers get pointed with local and national media when there aren't instant results.

The sad thing is actually contending for a playoff spot shouldn't be as hard as this team has made it look. The addition of the 2nd Wildcard has given mediocre teams a chance. The fact that they have only sniffed a spot once in the 4 years makes it that much more depressing. Playing .500 ball around the trade deadline probably means contending, especially in the AL the last few years. You basically just need to be average to have a shot.

Not saying your wrong, just voicing my frustration i guess.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one of the big set backs of the 2nd WC team is that only a handful of teams are sellers at the deadline so when a team like the Mariners goes on a historical run pitching wise there weren't any sellers that would given the bat Seattle needed. That whole false sense of hope the second WC gave Mariners fans 2 years ago only led to devastation by most fans last year.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is one of the big set backs of the 2nd WC team is that only a handful of teams are sellers at the deadline so when a team like the Mariners goes on a historical run pitching wise there weren't any sellers that would given the bat Seattle needed. That whole false sense of hope the second WC gave Mariners fans 2 years ago only led to devastation by most fans last year.

I agree that the 2014 team was more or less fools gold. Lots of luck on the pitching side plus that was an 83 win team with the Angels gift wrapping them a few wins in the end when they were resting guys. You cant reasonably expect 86 or 88 wins to get in like the last two years. However on paper, the AL is a plethora of mediocre teams where as the NL is more haves and have nots.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that the 2014 team was more or less fools gold. Lots of luck on the pitching side plus that was an 83 win team with the Angels gift wrapping them a few wins in the end when they were resting guys. You cant reasonably expect 86 or 88 wins to get in like the last two years. However on paper, the AL is a plethora of mediocre teams where as the NL is more haves and have nots.

I can understand that sentiment, but I personally would rather the Mariners completely miss the playoffs than just be satisfied with being mediocre trying for the 2nd WC but never being anywhere good enough for a WS.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can understand that sentiment, but I personally would rather the Mariners completely miss the playoffs than just be satisfied with being mediocre trying for the 2nd WC but never being anywhere good enough for a WS.

I guess agree to disagree there. If you get in you have a shot. The World Series featured two wild card teams a couple of years ago. On the flip side the last time the M's did get in 15 years ago they were the favorite and fell on their face in the ALCS. Maybe all it takes is being mediocre for the 2nd Wildcard but the M's havent come close to being that outside of 1 year in recent memory.

Destroydacre

Throws stuff out windows
Hoopla Cash
$ 90.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Agreed, I think finishing this year at .500 would qualify as an overwhelming success. People can look at 2014 and say "yeah but..." my counter to that is that it took the best pitching performance in MLB in years for that to happen, a pitching performance that would have been record setting since the inception of the DH if they had kept up the numbers they had into August. And even then it only put them within striking distance of the second wildcard spot, a playoff position that didn't even exist until a couple years ago. And they still missed it. The pitching staff that year was world series caliber. Too bad they had a AA offense.