• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Crazy Draft Idea

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure this is needed, or even if it is a good idea, but it came to me, so I wanted to throw it out there for discussion…

There are currently 30 teams, 12 of which make the playoffs.

Those 12 teams are placed in the draft, at the end, first based on how far they made it in the playoffs, second by wins, then by normal tie-breakers. I think this is how it is currently done. No need for change here.

But for the 18 non-playoff teams…

They are ranked 1-18 based on record, followed by current tie-breakers.

So here is where it gets kinda weird…

The bottom 10 teams get picks 1-10. But picks 11-15 will be lottery “bonus” picks, determined by a weighted lottery, based on WINS (better teams have a better chance). No team can get more than 1 bonus pick.

This still gives the bottom teams the ELITE picks to help get them off of the bottom of the league, but it encourages eliminated teams to try to win in order to get the bonus pick. Picks 11-15 are still good enough to offer incentive to win, but it doesn’t corrupt the idea of the inverted draft order to lift the bottom teams.

I am still open to some kind of lottery for the top of the draft as well to prevent tanking. I think tanking is gross and should be avoided at all costs. But this idea is not dependent on there being a top pick lottery or not.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
teams 1-18 should have to settle the draft order via a Counter-Strike tournament

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not sure this is needed, or even if it is a good idea, but it came to me, so I wanted to throw it out there for discussion…

There are currently 30 teams, 12 of which make the playoffs.

Those 12 teams are placed in the draft, at the end, first based on how far they made it in the playoffs, second by wins, then by normal tie-breakers. I think this is how it is currently done. No need for change here.

But for the 18 non-playoff teams…

They are ranked 1-18 based on record, followed by current tie-breakers.

So here is where it gets kinda weird…

The bottom 10 teams get picks 1-10. But picks 11-15 will be lottery “bonus” picks, determined by a weighted lottery, based on WINS (better teams have a better chance). No team can get more than 1 bonus pick.

This still gives the bottom teams the ELITE picks to help get them off of the bottom of the league, but it encourages eliminated teams to try to win in order to get the bonus pick. Picks 11-15 are still good enough to offer incentive to win, but it doesn’t corrupt the idea of the inverted draft order to lift the bottom teams.

I am still open to some kind of lottery for the top of the draft as well to prevent tanking. I think tanking is gross and should be avoided at all costs. But this idea is not dependent on there being a top pick lottery or not.

idk... I have always wanted a draft that benefits mid tier teams... as it really helps them compete with the big boys... but I think that really only works in fantasy... in real life, the draft is the only way for small market teams to ever get decent, or even good... I would not deprive them of their picks...

which is why I hate lotteries... in all sports... I know they are intended to prevent tanking... but that's not all that they do... they also hold the bad teams back for longer because they just get unlucky in lottery... we see this in basketball all the time... but fuck basketball, it sucks...

the only thing about baseball, is until the draft actually matters, it doesn't matter... top players don't even get picked first, because teams are afraid about signing them.. and for how much...

but back to your point... is tanking even a problem in baseball?? well it is, but its a different type of tanking... its not like football or basketball tanking, where teams go out and try to lose... its all front office tanking...

the problem with baseball is that the system is broken... it has always been broken... but a lottery would not fix it... not even close...

I have said in other threads that I think the way to fix this is to contract minor league teams... and make a more direct path from the draft to the majors...