• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marcus Mariota's Impressive debut.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can put to rest the 'Mariota isn't NFL ready' line. He proved today he has the poise to handle a NFL defense, even if it was a bad one they are still better than anything he saw in college. That said, we'll have to see how he does once teams get some film on him and makes changes to confuse/neutralize him. If he can adjust his game then I think he'll go far in this league.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can put to rest the 'Mariota isn't NFL ready' line. He proved today he has the poise to handle a NFL defense, even if it was a bad one they are still better than anything he saw in college. That said, we'll have to see how he does once teams get some film on him and makes changes to confuse/neutralize him. If he can adjust his game then I think he'll go far in this league.
Naa to early, one game doesn't mean a whole lot. Nice start for his career though.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naa to early, one game doesn't mean a whole lot. Nice start for his career though.
Ok, but would you at least say he's as ready to face the NFL as any rookie qb is at this point?

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see a couple more games, but an impressive start for sure. I thought Winston would come out ahead on this, but we'll see.

Yes for those that recall, I'm more then happy to eat crow for predicting Mariota as a bust, but let's give it the season first in the very least. I called RG3 a bust too, and it took a season +.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok, but would you at least say he's as ready to face the NFL as any rookie qb is at this point?

How about I think he's the best rookie QB. I don't think any of them are actually ready for the NFL year one.

TDs3nOut

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope he continues to play well. Seems like both a gifted player and a quality person. Plus, I love for players who "arm chair GMs" label busts to succeed.

RaidaDave

Devourer of Souls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,331.25
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a very good start that showed that MM has great potential to be a very good quarterback. Watching him at Oregon the last 3 years, he never ceases to amaze me.

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How about I think he's the best rookie QB. I don't think any of them are actually ready for the NFL year one.
I agree with you here. I think all rookie qbs should sit and learn for a year or two. Unfortunately, the state the league is in atm doesn't allow for such development

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
13-16 209 yards, 13.1 yards per pass, 4 TDs, 0 INTs. Perfect QB rating of 158.3 Pretty sure nothing like this has ever happened before. And all of the damage was done in the first half. What an unbelievable way to start. I understand it's only one game, and I'm not anointing him anything yet, but you have to impressed at least.

I was clearly on board with Winston being the better prospect and time will tell ultimately, I also thought Mariota would struggle more as a rookie adjusting to SUN football...we'll have to see over the next 15 for that to play out also.

That said...I have to eat some crow today...didn't see the game, but the highlights were enough...idk if impressed would be my thought, the one long TD pass was terrible play by the Bucs S, getting sucked in on a QB run fake ( a LB is can understand)...and the others were good short passes...but 4 TDs is 4 TDs...happy for the kid and the Titans...if he continues on this path, he'll be ROTY and Mett will end up in CLE or HOU.

Rock Strongo

My mind spits with an enormous kickback.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wait til it snows...but yeah, hell f a debut.

DutchBird

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariota has looked good for one game against a team that played abysmal (and actually might be abysmal). This gives hope, but is far from a guarantee.

Allegedly even Bobby Hoying looked good in the beginning. And mind you, Nick Foles actually has some of his stuff in the Hall of Fame. So I get your enthousiasm - but he is not the saviour of the franchise just yet.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How bad are the bucs? Geez.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a nice game but lets be honest he was up against the worst D in the NFL. Before we praise the kid let him play a decent D first.

SJ76

I'll slap you with my member
Hoopla Cash
$ 31.28
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tennesee might be one of the most improved teams on both sides of the ball in the NFL. Tampa needs some Oline help and Jameis is a gun slinger, but Jameis has some serious weapons when Mike Evans comes back.

Both of these QBs are gonna be really good. Mariota didn't even really flash his 4.4 speed yesterday. The kid has a lot of game no doubt.

Maybe Tampa's D isn't the best, but for a rookie QB to go on the road and be that accurate with 4 TDs in the first half is pretty solid.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we can put to rest the 'Mariota isn't NFL ready' line.
There is so much that happens with QBs that we just can't project it all as fans. There wasn't a lot based on his Oregon film to suggest that he was a superstar QB from the neck up but its hard to judge guys from certain systems. Most people thought Cam Newton was going to be terrible because Auburn. Mariota got a bad rap from fans because RG3 and Kapernick kinda sputtered but I think that ignored the possibility that Mariota might actually be a better student then those guys.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean it is the Buccaneers lol. It was very impressive though but lets see how he plays next weekend.
Against Cleveland? Ok.

Let's see. He won't have a perfect qb rating. But I like his chances of looking good again

CCF151

Low flying fruit bat!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is so much that happens with QBs that we just can't project it all as fans. There wasn't a lot based on his Oregon film to suggest that he was a superstar QB from the neck up but its hard to judge guys from certain systems. Most people thought Cam Newton was going to be terrible because Auburn. Mariota got a bad rap from fans because RG3 and Kapernick kinda sputtered but I think that ignored the possibility that Mariota might actually be a better student then those guys.
That and Marcus is humble, more so than any other QB I can remember in recent history. The kid was raised the right way with respect, humility and hard work ethic, which is why I think he will go far if he can stay healthy. When he says something it isn't ever out of arrogance it's coming from confidence. In the 3 years he started for the Ducks I don't think I once saw him take credit for an amazing play, it was always about the team and how others around him helped him do what he did. I honestly respect the man that he is and wish nothing but the best for him.