• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread March Madness thread

antone112

who gives a fuck
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,290.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow FSU just gave up. Wtf were they thinking?
fzrtozl.jpg

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly can't remember the last time a team just gave up with 10 seconds left like that in a game as close as that. A 3 + a foul gets you the tying points and Michigan has been notoriously bad at free throws this year. It was unlikely, but two misses plus a fouled made three are certainly within the realm of possibility. Hell, even two quick scores could have done it.

MAIZEandBLUE09

Well-Known, and Feared, Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jim Harbaugh losing sleep over this. You know he can't stand sharing the spotlight with someone else at UM.
I don't think so. If anything I think this helps Michigan's perception as a whole and probably helps football recruiting. Kids aren't watching other football schools right now, they're watching Michigan play in the final 4. It's that kind of stuff that makes people start to root for a school and potentially sway opinion when they're deciding on what offer to accept down the line.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think what happened at the end of the Michigan vs Florida State game is that the defender tried to trap Duncan Robinson realizing that he is the only good free throw shooter Michigan has. But then he realized that there wasn't enough time left on the clock to do that and when Robinson broke his press anyway, they were all flustered and realized that now it's only a few seconds left with no one in position.

No excuses for that though.

pumpkinhead33793

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I actually think Michigan has a better team than in 2013. Just not as many flashy stars. But they play much better team basketball and defense.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why? Because it shouldn't be a dialogue. Should they have fouled? Obviously. Point being is that they didn't have timeouts and the players on the floor had to manage it themselves. They gave up because they figured that it was unwinnable at that point. DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT'S WHAT COST THEM THE GAME? They had a great run and they didn't quit. Inbounds went to last guy you wanted it to go to and they shrugged their shoulders. Nothing but some false dialogues that a jackass like Kenny Smith would want to push.

Nobody is claiming it cost them the game. But the fact that you appear to be the only one to have this opinion speaks volumes to me. As mentioned UVA was down 4 with 3 seconds left, Michigan is a terrible free throw shooting team and this is the NCAA Tournament, not the place to curl up in the fetal position and accept defeat. I can't remember a team ever doing this with a trip to the Final Four on the line, and again there's a reason for that.

I just knew Leonard Hamilton would finally show that he is Leonard Hamilton. His reaction to a very legit question says it all about that guy.

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nobody is claiming it cost them the game. But the fact that you appear to be the only one to have this opinion speaks volumes to me. As mentioned UVA was down 4 with 3 seconds left, Michigan is a terrible free throw shooting team and this is the NCAA Tournament, not the place to curl up in the fetal position and accept defeat. I can't remember a team ever doing this with a trip to the Final Four on the line, and again there's a reason for that.

I just knew Leonard Hamilton would finally show that he is Leonard Hamilton. His reaction to a very legit question says it all about that guy.

I agree with gohusk. This conversation is stupid, florida state had no chance. What, you think that, assuming they foul right away and the michigan player misses the 1st free throw, that michigan is going to be dumb enough to foul a guy on a desperation 3 point heave, with most likely less than 5 seconds left at that point? Game was over

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with gohusk. This conversation is stupid, florida state had no chance. What, you think that, assuming they foul right away and the michigan player misses the 1st free throw, that michigan is going to be dumb enough to foul a guy on a desperation 3 point heave, with most likely less than 5 seconds left at that point? Game was over

Tell that to Louisville when they played UVA.

Again the Elite Eight is no place to lie down. Obviously it was a real long shot but it was insane not to even try and just give up. What kind of message does that send?

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tell that to Louisville when they played UVA.

Again the Elite Eight is no place to lie down. Obviously it was a real long shot but it was insane not to even try and just give up. What kind of message does that send?

You keep citing that ONE game. Ok, great, how many more of those glimmering examples of a team blowing a 4 pt lead with under 10 seconds left you got? Thr game was over, people are just looking for a reason to pile on at this point

phantomfoul88

"Send Lawyers, Guns, and Money"
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think so. If anything I think this helps Michigan's perception as a whole and probably helps football recruiting. Kids aren't watching other football schools right now, they're watching Michigan play in the final 4. It's that kind of stuff that makes people start to root for a school and potentially sway opinion when they're deciding on what offer to accept down the line.

You're probably right, I just saw he congratulated the team on Twitter.

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You keep citing that ONE game. Ok, great, how many more of those glimmering examples of a team blowing a 4 pt lead with under 10 seconds left you got? Thr game was over, people are just looking for a reason to pile on at this point
It happens a lot more than you think. It was beyond stupid. College teams struggle breaking presses down the stretch too

DJ Fieri

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 28,789.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
According to Way Back Machine, odds weren't even offered on them back in November.

Some teams they were offered for...

Georgia Tech 500-1
Northwestern 125-1
Auburn 66-1
Purdue 40-1
Louisiville 20-1
Villanova 18-1
Arizona 9-2

Talking about odds right before March Madness began.

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Let's not pretend that was the only time a miracle comeback has happened, it's just the most recent example. There is no doubt it was a thousand to one shot. But he had nothing to lose by trying. What kind of message is the coach sending to his team when he tells them on the biggest stage of their lives to simply lie down and accept defeat instead of fighting until the end when they still had an (outside) chance?

Then of course his reaction to a perfectly legitimate question was really uncalled for and that's why he is being criticized so much.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kentucky was playing really well at the end of the year. It isn't shocking that they struggled at times as they were quite possibly the youngest team ever, but as usual Calipari had them gelling by the end of the season. They looked like a top 10 and maybe a top 5 team in the SEC tourney and the first weekend of the dance. It also isn't surprising that they flopped as that could have happened at any point.
I still wonder if any of the starters attend class in the second semester. Think they know or care about the words to the Alma Mater?

Darrell Green Fan

The Voice of Reason
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It happens a lot more than you think. It was beyond stupid. College teams struggle breaking presses down the stretch too

This Michigan team struggled to get the ball in bounds the entire game, when the pressure was much lower than it would have been in the final seconds. They also suck at free throw shooting. To claim this was a done deal is just not the case.

Ron G

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here is an observation. The announcers continuously pointed out (and rightfully so) the "Game of Change". That was the Loyola game vs. Mississippi St in 1963 and the first time a team in the final four started four black players. Missing however, was an observation that in an era where close to 80% of big time college teams are African American that Loyola starts 4 white guys and one African American. Is the game changing?
No it is not, but I did notice a distinct lack of tattoos on the Loyola players (just a few).

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

No, it doesnt happen a lot more than I think

Ojb81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's not pretend that was the only time a miracle comeback has happened, it's just the most recent example. There is no doubt it was a thousand to one shot. But he had nothing to lose by trying. What kind of message is the coach sending to his team when he tells them on the biggest stage of their lives to simply lie down and accept defeat instead of fighting until the end when they still had an (outside) chance?

Then of course his reaction to a perfectly legitimate question was really uncalled for and that's why he is being criticized so much.

Oh I agree about his post-game nonsense, that wasnt called for, he shouldve just been honest and said what those of us with sense knew, that the game was over