• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Tournament Thread March Madness thread

Hitman Hart

College Basketball's #1 Venue
Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lot of Frank Martin talk.

If UConn keeps Chillious and gets martin, that could be a nice little combo. Chill recruits and Martin can coach like a mofo.

Martin would be interesting. He only has one NCAAT appearance in six years at South Carolina, though.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, and my apologies, btw.

I think if y'all can't get Hurley, you should go for an older established, coach to get things turned around. Everyone tries to go for the young, trendy home run type of guy, and it doesn't always work out.

Mark Schmidt at St. Bonaventure was a name I thought of if they don't land Hurley. He's done a remarkable job at St. Bonaventure considering the absolute mess he took over. I wonder if a guy like Rick Stansbury would be somebody to consider at WKU? He can certainly recruit.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think I saw Pitt is offering Hurley 3 mil a season.

The rebuilding job at Pitt will be steep, which should scare away the hot candidates, such as Hurley. There's only a few schools in the country, in which the rebuilding job will not matter to potential coaching candidates, and Pitt isn't one of those jobs. Solid history, so I don't want to look like I'm dissing Pitt.

The Q

Hoop’s Villain, Reality’s Hero
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's the back up plan if they don't get him? There honestly isn't a lot of great candidates at the moment.

No one knows the answer to this question.

Many think it's Frank martin.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mark Schmidt at St. Bonaventure was a name I thought of if they don't land Hurley. He's done a remarkable job at St. Bonaventure considering the absolute mess he took over. I wonder if a guy like Rick Stansbury would be somebody to consider at WKU? He can certainly recruit.

Only five games over .500 in A-10 conference over an 11 year span. I'm not sure.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The rebuilding job at Pitt will be steep, which should scare away the hot candidates, such as Hurley. There's only a few schools in the country, in which the rebuilding job will not matter to potential coaching candidates, and Pitt isn't one of those jobs. Solid history, so I don't want to look like I'm dissing Pitt.

I always wondering man, you dont' even have to run the dead weight off.

You get a D1 program in a power conference (aka big re$ources) and basically get to build from scratch.

That should be appealing to some guys.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only five games over .500 in A-10 conference over an 11 year span. I'm not sure.

he's also a bit older for a guy not as established.

I'd be thrilled with a matta if his health can handle it.

For the young guys, I think Oats is the one I'd take first.

But man it's hard, the mid major crop is lacking this year if it's not hurley. So many others need another year or two to show what they really are.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I always wondering man, you dont' even have to run the dead weight off.

You get a D1 program in a power conference (aka big re$ources) and basically get to build from scratch.

That should be appealing to some guys.

3-4 million dollars is a shit ton of cash. That actually has caught me off guard.

I agree with that. You'll also get a waiting period from the AD and the fan base. That just doesn't appeal to a lot of coaches, though, because the good ones, they have options.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kelsey and Miller are solid mid-major candidates. The resumes on both of them are kinda thin, though. One NCAAT appearance each.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yeah, but a lot of that is due to the early part of his time there. The last 4 seasons he's 26 games over .500 in A-10 play. I just think he's solid. They don't really have a tradition rich program, so he's not working with a lot.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3-4 million dollars is a shit ton of cash. That actually has caught me off guard.

I agree with that. You'll also get a waiting period from the AD and the fan base. That just doesn't appeal to a lot of coaches, though, because the good ones, they have options.

Yeah, I argued that it made Pitt more attractive than it was with all last year's players staying.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but a lot of that is due to the early part of his time there. The last 4 seasons he's 26 games over .500 in A-10 play. I just think he's solid. They don't really have a tradition rich program, so he's not working with a lot.

Good post. Context is more important, and I'm not very educated about the Bonnies.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Kelsey and Miller are solid mid-major candidates. The resumes on both of them are kinda thin, though. One NCAAT appearance each.

Kelsey also had his umass incident last year.

He probably needs another year just to get away from that.

The Q

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Martin would be interesting. He only has one NCAAT appearance in six years at South Carolina, though.

True.

But a FF run.

And an e8 run at K-state.

the guy can coach. The quesiton is can he recruit.

i'd only want him if he kept Chilliious on staff.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True.

But a FF run.

And an e8 run at K-state.

the guy can coach. The quesiton is can he recruit.

i'd only want him if he kept Chilliious on staff.

Yeah, the FF run was big. However, they did it as a 7 seed. I'm all about good regular seasons + good tournament runs.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good post. Context is more important, and I'm not very educated about the Bonnies.

He took over a program that was still being affected by sanctions that were self imposed between 2003-2005 due a scandal at the end of the 2003 season. The scandal was one of the most bizarre scandals, not because of what it was(playing an ineligible player), but because the coach, AD and University President were all fired over it. And the chairman of the BOT ended up committing suicide. Anthony Solomon(current assistant at Dayton) was the coach between Van Breda Kolff and Schmidt, but he really couldn't get it turned around, and left practically nothing. St. Bonaventure isn't a easy place to win, let alone with what all happened in the early and mid 2000's. Plus he's familiar with the Northeast having been a head coach in that area for almost 20 years. Schmidt was actually an assistant at Xavier under Prosser.

Hitman Hart

Hoopla Cash
$ 301.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kelsey also had his umass incident last year.

He probably needs another year just to get away from that.

If Manning gets fired next year, then I'm all about Kelsey. Solid coach that has a lot of Skip Prosser in him. UMass debacle is a negative mark on him, but I doubt he'll do that to a school that he has heavy ties to.

Roy's retirement is coming up, and I'm wondering who UNC is going to target. Promote Davis? Hire Haase or McGrath? Maybe Wes Miller gets a look. You never know with them, which is why Wes may not be an option for other schools.

ericd7633

Hoopla Cash
$ 11,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Manning gets fired next year, then I'm all about Kelsey. Solid coach that has a lot of Skip Prosser in him. UMass debacle is a negative mark on him, but I doubt he'll do that to a school that he has heavy ties to.

Roy's retirement is coming up, and I'm wondering who UNC is going to target. Promote Davis? Hire Haase or McGrath? Maybe Wes Miller gets a look. You never know with them, which is why Wes may not be an option for other schools.

It will be interesting because Boeheim, K and Roy could all conceivably retire within the next 5 years. That will start a domino effect much like what happened at the end of the 2003 season with Roy leaving to go to UNC, Self going to Kansas, and Weber going to Illinois.