• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marc Trestman era

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But T-man had him in 2002. Just wondering what's your point?

I don't remember?
Oh wait... I think it had to do with someone suggesting that when Trestman was an OC, his offenses tailed off statistically. So I brought up that Trestman at least got the most out of the offensive talent that he had to work with - which is how Charlie Garner came up.

Garner was in Oakland in 2002 (yes, I did get the year wrong), but he was 29 at the time (the age I got right), which is near the end of Garner's career.

Nice catch on the year.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although i`m very excited (again) about this upcoming season with changes on the o-line and a new te,I have a few concerns.

Now that we have a new coach,my concern is:
"If this guy is so good with offense,why in the hell didn`t another team decide to hire him in the NFL after all those years in the CFL"? I mean if he`s that good at developing qbs? Why not hire him in the best football league ever.The NFL?

another concern is Cutler...........I hate his little childish ways.Like what he did to Tice the day on the bench.Getting up and walking away from him while he wants to erectify the situation.
Or his ineptness to show up in a lot if games.(especially vs GB).

Anyone remember the fumble vs.Detroit last season when the playoffs were on the line? He just totally dropped that ball.
And this was after he chewed on Webb`s ass the play before for a false start.............Webb,tice and rest of the offense should`ve ripped him a new ass.
With the line we have now,there had better be a huge upgrade at this position or its time to run his ass outta town.

The defense is another concern.
I know we have DJ williams and bostic to take U`s place ,but,can McClellan be that guy they had drafted no.1 two drafts ago.I`m highly doubting it.

And will we miss Nick Roach?

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Although i`m very excited (again) about this upcoming season with changes on the o-line and a new te,I have a few concerns.

Now that we have a new coach,my concern is:
"If this guy is so good with offense,why in the hell didn`t another team decide to hire him in the NFL after all those years in the CFL"? I mean if he`s that good at developing qbs? Why not hire him in the best football league ever.The NFL?

another concern is Cutler...........I hate his little childish ways.Like what he did to Tice the day on the bench.Getting up and walking away from him while he wants to erectify the situation.
Or his ineptness to show up in a lot if games.(especially vs GB).

Anyone remember the fumble vs.Detroit last season when the playoffs were on the line? He just totally dropped that ball.
And this was after he chewed on Webb`s ass the play before for a false start.............Webb,tice and rest of the offense should`ve ripped him a new ass.
With the line we have now,there had better be a huge upgrade at this position or its time to run his ass outta town.

The defense is another concern.
I know we have DJ williams and bostic to take U`s place ,but,can McClellan be that guy they had drafted no.1 two drafts ago.I`m highly doubting it.

And will we miss Nick Roach?

People need to stop worrying about him being in the CFL. To me if he was able to coach players with less football IQ and less talented then they are in the NFL to 2 Grey Cups, than I think he will have no problem coaching these better, smarter, stronger players to victory. Trestmans concepts and parts of the schemes he used back in 2002 are still being used in the NFL today, so there is a reason he is still very well known.

When talking about Cutler and his attitude I think of two things right now. The first one it is his contract year and he finally has a coach that wants to work with him and make him better, so does he want to blow that by yelling, pushing, ignoring the players and coaches. Secondly, he just got married and recently had the baby and I would hope that makes him a little bit more mature on the field knowing hes the image for his family.

McClellan seems to be very unpredictable, but he did show up at training camp more lean and less body fat so it seems like he is really working at it. I like the way Corey Wooten plays and think he will continue to improve but McClellan should get a lot more chances to prove himself this year.

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Pride,its like this,so what Trestman won 2 Grey Cups with less iq players.......How about signing an Arena football coach then.hell,those players must have less iqs than CFL players correct?

So if Trestman is this so-called qb guru,then why didn`t anyother team decide to sign him then?
Why did the bills(I think) let him go to the CFL?

I`d rather much had an NFL ready coach now than one that has not been in the NFL fopr what like 12 years?

Don`t get me wrong,I got a bad feeling,but I`m trying to be very optimistic about this...........

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well Pride,its like this,so what Trestman won 2 Grey Cups with less iq players.......How about signing an Arena football coach then.hell,those players must have less iqs than CFL players correct?

So if Trestman is this so-called qb guru,then why didn`t anyother team decide to sign him then?

I`d rather much had an NFL ready coach now than one that has not been in the NFL fopr what like 12 years?

Don`t get me wrong,I got a bad feeling,but I`m trying to be very optimistic about this...........

Yes because most Arena Football coaches have years and years of NFL OC and position coach experience....The CFL and NFL are the closest to resemble one another and you could use your CFL system in the NFL and still have success (beside the motioning), you just have to execute it. Trestman could have been OC for many different teams during that 10 year drought if he wanted to but he wanted to be a HC somewhere and no one was giving him the opportunity to do that at the time and he moved on to the CFL to HC. Football is Football and if your winning championships then you are doing something right and better than then other teams in the league.

You could do what you want and think what you want but you should be happy we have a good team and only got better since last year. Be thankful you are not a Browns or Bills fan and see no hope in winning. The fact is Trestman has been a winner and has helped out many successful qbs in this league now and in the past.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear Emory hired T man to show he is smarter then everyone else. I too have major concerns on the T man hiring. But I am also happy to have a guy that knows offense. I would rather have had him as a OC but it's time to stand behind our team and hope Emory is smarter then everyone else. I do believe T man has earned his shot as a NFL HC. I'm more worried about Emory then T man.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I fear Emory hired T man to show he is smarter then everyone else. I too have major concerns on the T man hiring. But I am also happy to have a guy that knows offense. I would rather have had him as a OC but it's time to stand behind our team and hope Emory is smarter then everyone else. I do believe T man has earned his shot as a NFL HC. I'm more worried about Emory then T man.

When Emery interviewed Trestman he said something like it was one of the most impressive interviews he has been a part of. He is a very smart man who picked damn good coaches to be around him. Trestman, Kromer and Cavanaugh were all together in Oakland so they are familiar and know each others styles. Mel Tucker is a more aggressive (Little Bit) Lovie Smith as far as scheme goes and you still have Hoke with those DB's. Joe DeCamillis not only interviewed for the HC job and didnt get it but he chose to join this staff and he is very experienced and has done a good job in Dallas. Maybe not this year but 2-3 years down the road, this team is going to be booming.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

T-man left the NFL , because he wanted to be a head coach. I'm sure someone wanted him as an OC, when he left . he was rumored the hottest OC around. He just didn't want to OC any more. So he packed his bags and went to college.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Grudens offense you mean? It was basically the same offense he installed. Maybe a wrinkle or two but otherwise his offense.
Gruden was in Tampa. Trestman was running the show in 2002. Was Gruden still calling the plays from Tampa? Was Gruden still game planning for the Raiders in Tampa? C'mon give me a break. If anything they kept Gruden's' terminology to make the change easier. But T-man learned the West Coast under Walsh.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
T-man left the NFL , because he wanted to be a head coach. I'm sure someone wanted him as an OC, when he left . he was rumored the hottest OC around. He just didn't want to OC any more. So he packed his bags and went to college.
Just add, it has been reported Lovie contacted T-man for the OC spot . And T-man turned him down.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden was in Tampa. Trestman was running the show in 2002. Was Gruden still calling the plays from Tampa? Was Gruden still game planning for the Raiders in Tampa? C'mon give me a break. If anything they kept Gruden's' terminology to make the change easier. But T-man learned the West Coast under Walsh.

Gruden was Head Coach/playcaller and Bill Callahan was the O coordinator in 2001. If it was not the same offense, how did Tampa read EVERY SINGLE PLAY BEING RUN BY THE RAIDERS IN THE SUPER BOWL IN 2002??????????

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And"T-Man" didn't coach with the Niners until the mid 90s so how exactly did he learn the west coast from Bill Walsh?

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gruden was Head Coach/playcaller and Bill Callahan was the O coordinator in 2001. If it was not the same offense, how did Tampa read EVERY SINGLE PLAY BEING RUN BY THE RAIDERS IN THE SUPER BOWL IN 2002??????????
Just curious how it can be the same O . W/ 2 different guys calling the shots.
Like I said earlier they probably kept Grudens' terminology ( who'd a thunk they'd meet in the SB ) , And Gruden picked up on it.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just curious how it can be the same O . W/ 2 different guys calling the shots.
Like I said earlier they probably kept Grudens' terminology ( who'd a thunk they'd meet in the SB ) , And Gruden picked up on it.

Go back and watch any NFL Films piece on that game w/ Gruden, Sapp, and Lynch mic'd up. All they talk about is how they know whats coming. Theres a part where they are laughing about how easy it is because they know the exact play coming when Gannon is making line calls and audibles. Gruden in the Americas Game special talks about how that week before the game was easy to prepare for because they were running his offense.
So how could they have known all of that if it wasn't the same offense with basically the same terminologyy? And the real question would be, why didn't they switchup the calls knowing full well Gruden could easily pick that stuff up?

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go back and watch any NFL Films piece on that game w/ Gruden, Sapp, and Lynch mic'd up. All they talk about is how they know whats coming. Theres a part where they are laughing about how easy it is because they know the exact play coming when Gannon is making line calls and audibles. Gruden in the Americas Game special talks about how that week before the game was easy to prepare for because they were running his offense.
So how could they have known all of that if it wasn't the same offense with basically the same terminologyy? And the real question would be, why didn't they switchup the calls knowing full well Gruden could easily pick that stuff up?

Doesnt really matter, it was all in the past and Trestman is in the league and Gruden is out.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My arguement is that you give no credit to T-man for directing the leagues best O at the time.
When Gruden was there they weren't #1 & Gannon was not the MVP. I think T-man had something to do with that.
I don't doubt that Tampa knew what was coming.
Take this year for example. Tucker ( our new DC ) had to learn Lovies terminology for the D. Just makes the transition easier. But if Lovie was coaching vs us , don't you think he'd know what's coming.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's a good thing you guys don't have Montreal on the schedule this season. (Just playing around, I know, NFL teams don't even scrimmage against the CFL)