• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marc Trestman era

wood20ks

Staff member
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,227.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don`t get me wrong here 63...........But I`m hoping the best for Trestman.
I just hope the NFL has not passed him by since he was here last.
I do not care what he did back then,its what can you do for me now.Time will tell.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not care what he did back then,its what can you do for me now.Time will tell.

The fact is his offense still works in the NFL today, he is a winning coach and he knows how to get players prepared for every Sunday. He comes with much more then I just listed but based on those things you should already consider Trestman an upgrade compared to Lovie. Everything he has done so far in less than a week has been more productive than what Lovie has done throughout 9 years in this organization.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some where ( believe WCG ), the Bears were running the read option in practice. Thats about as up to date as you can get . Also read some where T-man watched all the NFL games he could while in Canada, to stay updated on current trends. Like Pride said, alot of teams use the old WC O. But I'm sure he's implementing new stuff to his playbook all the time.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read some where ( believe WCG ), the Bears were running the read option in practice. Thats about as up to date as you can get . Also read some where T-man watched all the NFL games he could while in Canada, to stay updated on current trends. Like Pride said, alot of teams use the old WC O. But I'm sure he's implementing new stuff to his playbook all the time.

63Bears anyone who thinks Trestman was completely away from the NFL for 10 years is idiotic. Yes he stopped coaching for a little while and yes he went over to Canada but you are exactly correct he watched and studied a ton of NFL games/film to stay current with the NFL in case he ever got his shot. I look at Jim Harbough as a very good example that NFL HC experience is not needed. He is still very new to the NFL yet has done a phenomenal job with his team even though he was a college coach for how long? He is using parts of Trestmans old system and it shows if you have a good teacher and system (Trestman) than you could go along ways without that HC experience.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trestman has TONS of an NFL experience, and it was really only a matter of time that he became an NFL head coach.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trestman has TONS of an NFL experience, and it was really only a matter of time that he became an NFL head coach.

Frankly, I'm surprised it's taken this long.

I know Trestman has plenty of NFL experience but the people who dont believe in him or the non Bears fans keep saying him being out of the league for 10 years and going into the CFL is something you have to worry about. Its not like you just randomly lose all the intelligence you have on the NFL, especially with a guy like Trestman who is a very very smart man too.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE=DaBearsShowPride;3356071]63Bears anyone who thinks Trestman was completely away from the NFL for 10 years is idiotic. Yes he stopped coaching for a little while and yes he went over to Canada but you are exactly correct he watched and studied a ton of NFL games/film to stay current with the NFL in case he ever got his shot. I look at Jim Harbough as a very good example that NFL HC experience is not needed. He is still very new to the NFL yet has done a phenomenal job with his team even though he was a college coach for how long? He is using parts of Trestmans old system and it shows if you have a good teacher and system (Trestman) than you could go along ways without that HC experience.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree w/ most of your statement. But I try to stay away from the name calling. Never believed in it , untill someone fired the first shot. Just degrades your post IMHO. I come here to get others opinions , and try to take some thing positive away. And maybe my insight will clear things up for them. Not here to bash anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
[QUOTE=DaBearsShowPride;3356071]63Bears anyone who thinks Trestman was completely away from the NFL for 10 years is idiotic. Yes he stopped coaching for a little while and yes he went over to Canada but you are exactly correct he watched and studied a ton of NFL games/film to stay current with the NFL in case he ever got his shot. I look at Jim Harbough as a very good example that NFL HC experience is not needed. He is still very new to the NFL yet has done a phenomenal job with his team even though he was a college coach for how long? He is using parts of Trestmans old system and it shows if you have a good teacher and system (Trestman) than you could go along ways without that HC experience.

I tend to agree w/ most of your statement. But I try to stay away from the name calling. Never believed in it , untill someone fired the first shot. Just degrades your post IMHO. I come here to get others opinions , and try to take some thing positive away. And maybe my insight will clear things up for them. Not here to bash anybody.[/QUOTE]

Im not here to bash anyone either as you could see from my other posts. The fact is if you love to do something and are very good at it, its not like its going to suddenly remove from your brain 10 years later.

C

cubzzzfanincali

we know nothing about him as a head coach. Nothing. I'm neither excited nor bummed at the moment. Let's see how the season rolls out. The only thing we can judge him for is that he seems to have gotten Emery to agree to a "don't extend anybody for any reason rule". That's a huge gamble, one that might suck royally in the long run, or look brilliant in a few months.

Right now we know nothing. Stay tuned.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My arguement is that you give no credit to T-man for directing the leagues best O at the time.
When Gruden was there they weren't #1 & Gannon was not the MVP. I think T-man had something to do with that.
I don't doubt that Tampa knew what was coming.
Take this year for example. Tucker ( our new DC ) had to learn Lovies terminology for the D. Just makes the transition easier. But if Lovie was coaching vs us , don't you think he'd know what's coming.

I am not trying to discredit him. I like Trestman. Always have. Going back to my young days I remember him being the "next big thing" in coaching when he was the O Coordinator w/Cleveland. Not sure if you know this or not, but he interviewed for the Green Bay job in 92. I loved that and was rooting for him, of course until Mike Holmgren's name came up then it was all Mike all the time.
But you seem to be giving him more credit for the Raiders offense then he is probably do. By your statement, you make it sound like he took a piss poor offense and made them #1 in the league. They were #4 in 2001, Gruden's last year there. They had great success there with Gruden. Callahan was the O Coordinator under Gruden and then became HC. He has to be given just as much if not more credit then Trestman.
I get it, as a Bears fan you are excited to finally have an offensive minded coach. I would be too. But don't try selling me a cow that hasn't produced milk. You still have only two PROVEN talents on offense, Forte and Marshall. You still until proven otherwise have a QB that is trigger happy, unproven line, and a WR that last year had the same problems he had in college, conditioning and injuries. If they finally step up, then good for you, but you cannot sell something that has not done anything just because you have a 60 year old coach that for one reason or another has not been given a job for over 25 years.

LoftonPack80

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Ok. I am not seeing how he taught him the offense. Trestman seems to even go out of his way to make the point that he wasn't a student or friend of Walsh.
Did he have him as a guy he could ask questions and run ideas by? Yes. but did he study under him and learn his philosophy? No. He already had his own system. He was at that time already considered one of the best offensive minds in football. Him taking the SF job was like Shanahan before him a case of "Heres the keys to the porsche. You can add some engine modifications but don't screw around too much and don't crash it." That system was so self substaining at that point. Add in the fact most of those guys there really didn't need much coaching. Seriously, at that point what was Trestman going to tell Rice or Young that they didn't already know?

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not trying to discredit him. I like Trestman. Always have. Going back to my young days I remember him being the "next big thing" in coaching when he was the O Coordinator w/Cleveland. Not sure if you know this or not, but he interviewed for the Green Bay job in 92. I loved that and was rooting for him, of course until Mike Holmgren's name came up then it was all Mike all the time.
But you seem to be giving him more credit for the Raiders offense then he is probably do. By your statement, you make it sound like he took a piss poor offense and made them #1 in the league. They were #4 in 2001, Gruden's last year there. They had great success there with Gruden. Callahan was the O Coordinator under Gruden and then became HC. He has to be given just as much if not more credit then Trestman.
I get it, as a Bears fan you are excited to finally have an offensive minded coach. I would be too. But don't try selling me a cow that hasn't produced milk. You still have only two PROVEN talents on offense, Forte and Marshall. You still until proven otherwise have a QB that is trigger happy, unproven line, and a WR that last year had the same problems he had in college, conditioning and injuries. If they finally step up, then good for you, but you cannot sell something that has not done anything just because you have a 60 year old coach that for one reason or another has not been given a job for over 25 years.

I see where you are coming from but the things Trestman did different from that 2001 season compared to his 2002 season were very noticeable and in a great way. The fact is he is UNPROVEN as a HC but very much proven as an offensive minded coach. He is going to get this offensive unit clicking no matter how inexperienced he is as a HC. Yes it might take him a few years to get up to HC speed to be like a Bill Bellicheck but no matter where he is he will get the offense rolling compared to what it was.

C

cubzzzfanincali

interesting to see what the mods are banning, but good lesson learned. Anyway, DaBears, all I was trying to point out is that the Bears have a totally different receiver scheme this year. Totally different. Night-and-day. The Bear receivers are not being given very much flexibility - at all - to adjust their routes. There is of course a philosophy behind that, some teams embrace it, some don't, but that's just the way it is this year.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
interesting to see what the mods are banning, but good lesson learned. Anyway, DaBears, all I was trying to point out is that the Bears have a totally different receiver scheme this year. Totally different. Night-and-day. The Bear receivers are not being given very much flexibility - at all - to adjust their routes. There is of course a philosophy behind that, some teams embrace it, some don't, but that's just the way it is this year.

Have you ever played football before? You just explained Tice's offense right there with no flexibility, no adjusting of the routes, no good route combinations, etc. Tretmans system allows the WR's to get open, has plenty of flexibility in it and every single play there are WR's with secondary route in case they need to break out of their first route.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ok. I am not seeing how he taught him the offense. Trestman seems to even go out of his way to make the point that he wasn't a student or friend of Walsh.
Did he have him as a guy he could ask questions and run ideas by? Yes. but did he study under him and learn his philosophy? No. He already had his own system. He was at that time already considered one of the best offensive minds in football. Him taking the SF job was like Shanahan before him a case of "Heres the keys to the porsche. You can add some engine modifications but don't screw around too much and don't crash it." That system was so self substaining at that point. Add in the fact most of those guys there really didn't need much coaching. Seriously, at that point what was Trestman going to tell Rice or Young that they didn't already know?

If you read both pages of the article, You would have seen how T-man watched how Walsh trained his Os. And I bet there were many tapes to watch. And yes he had access to Walsh. So yes I will still say he learned the WC from Walsh.
I've heard both Rice & Young say T-man was the best play caller they've worked under. That was on ESPN.
Really don't know where your'e going with this.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

All I said is that it was T-mans O in 2002. You said it was Grudens. Who was right? As for the rest of your BS . We'll see how it all shakes down week 9.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Have you ever played football before? You just explained Tice's offense right there with no flexibility, no adjusting of the routes, no good route combinations, etc. Tretmans system allows the WR's to get open, has plenty of flexibility in it and every single play there are WR's with secondary route in case they need to break out of their first route.

Is it necessary for you to attempt - and fail - to denigrate me at the opening of your post.

Since you are clearly unaware, the new offense has made big news because Trestman is explicitly and clearly RESTRICTING the route adjustments this year. All the receivers have been talking about this. That to some extent is what you need to do in a West Coast type of offense. No, it doesn't mean that they never make adjustments whatsoever, ever...but relatively speaking, no. They are supposed to run their routes, more or less no matter what, and let the play concept unfold according to it's design, and trust that the other receivers are filling out their zones. It is a much simpler concept, so that the WRs don't have to take guesses about what the safeties are doing in response to other receivers. In other words, suited for what Hester probably could have actually thrived in. Of course, we are probably not about to find out.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is it necessary for you to attempt - and fail - to denigrate me at the opening of your post.

Since you are clearly unaware, the new offense has made big news because Trestman is explicitly and clearly RESTRICTING the route adjustments this year. All the receivers have been talking about this. That to some extent is what you need to do in a West Coast type of offense. No, it doesn't mean that they never make adjustments whatsoever, ever...but relatively speaking, no. They are supposed to run their routes, more or less no matter what, and let the play concept unfold according to it's design, and trust that the other receivers are filling out their zones. It is a much simpler concept, so that the WRs don't have to take guesses about what the safeties are doing in response to other receivers. In other words, suited for what Hester probably could have actually thrived in. Of course, we are probably not about to find out.

Its funny because I follow Bears news every single day and quite often and I have not once seen the WR's talking about how they are going to run their routes or what they are going to look like, you just made that up. You just gave an explanation of what every WR in any system has to do to be a productive player on the field. I wasnt trying to put you down at all, I was simply asking if you have ever played football because you are giving a general explanation for what ALL WR's have to do.

C

cubzzzfanincali

Its funny because I follow Bears news every single day and quite often and I have not once seen the WR's talking about how they are going to run their routes or what they are going to look like, you just made that up. You just gave an explanation of what every WR in any system has to do to be a productive player on the field. I wasnt trying to put you down at all, I was simply asking if you have ever played football because you are giving a general explanation for what ALL WR's have to do.

No, I did not make it up. I don't pretend to have read every single thing every Bears player has said. I don't know why you are. It's been said on several occasions.

No, dude, not every WR has to do the same thing in every system. They are quite different. Some WRs are expected to make significant adjustments on their routes, and some are told not to. This year, the Bears WRs are being instructed not to make those adjustments. I can't beat this dead horse any more than I already have.

Yes I played football when I was younger, but that was a very long time ago. And really it is totally beside the point. There are people who have played less football than me who are much better analysts, and people who have played more football than me who are worse analysts. Playing football does not necessarily correlate very well with being a student of the game. I don't think my experience with football taught me all that much, but then, I was done by the time college rolled around.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I did not make it up. I don't pretend to have read every single thing every Bears player has said. I don't know why you are. It's been said on several occasions.

No, dude, not every WR has to do the same thing in every system. They are quite different. Some WRs are expected to make significant adjustments on their routes, and some are told not to. This year, the Bears WRs are being instructed not to make those adjustments. I can't beat this dead horse any more than I already have.

Yes I played football when I was younger, but that was a very long time ago. And really it is totally beside the point. There are people who have played less football than me who are much better analysts, and people who have played more football than me who are worse analysts. Playing football does not necessarily correlate very well with being a student of the game. I don't think my experience with football taught me all that much, but then, I was done by the time college rolled around.

Can you please provide a link or source where the WRs talk about their route running and not making adjustments? Some Wrs on the field are going to be running a direct route while some are running adjustment routes. Do you really think none of the WR's have adjustment routes in case Cutler gets pressured and cant get the ball out right away? Sorry but the West Coast system doesnt consist of Wr's being instructed not to make those adjustments, it consists of shorter, quicker routes like slants, crossing patterns, curls, in and outs. And with any of those routes I just mentioned, adjustment comes with it.