• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Marc Trestman era

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Over the last decade, the Bears offense needed work. And while we went through a smattering of offensive coordinators (Shoop, Shea, Turner, Martz, and Tice), nothing seemed to help the offense.

Many times, when a new coach takes over an NFL team, the offense of that team becomes rather conservative.

But the rumor about Trestman is that he is an offensive guru. If you check out his Wikipedia page, he's tutored some notable QB's and has directly assisted them to reach some pretty respectable statistics.

So SHOULD we expect Trestman to overhaul the Bears' offense? Check out some of these statements from Wikipedia:

In 1998 he was with the Arizona Cardinals as quarterbacks coach and offensive coordinator. That year quarterback Jake Plummer threw for 3,737 yards, and the Cardinals made the playoffs for the first time since 1982 and won their first post season game in 51 years.

He next went to the Oakland Raiders in 2001 as the quarterbacks coach. In 2002 he was promoted to offensive coordinator and the Raiders led the NFL in total offense with 389.8 yards per game and passing yards with 279.7 per game. Under Trestman's guidance, Raiders QB Rich Gannon won the 2002 NFL MVP award as the Raiders reached Super Bowl XXXVII, losing to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

As far as Tresman's involvement in the CFL, I realize that it is not the NFL. But his resume in the CFL is still rather impressive:

In the five years as the Alouettes' coach, they finished in first place 4 times. They made the playoffs all 5 seasons. They went to the Grey Cup (Championship) 3 times and won twice. He's the only coach to win the Grey Cup in back-to-back seasons. His winning percentage was .656. (By comparison, Lovie's winning percentage was .563.) He was also nominated for coach of the year twice, and won the award once.

So do I personally feel that the Bears offense will improve DRAMATICALLY under Trestman? Homerism hopes that it will. But based on Trestman's history, it just might be a reality!

Ahhhdamnit!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kyle Long is a way better pick than anyone in CHI is actually giving him credit for.

Are there any Bears fans here?

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears should be fielding pretty much the same D, and by the grace of God, should be vastly improved on offense this year.

I had my doubts about our new GM at first, but after getting Marshall for next to nothing, bringing in Bennett and Bushrod in FA this year. I like what he's done in FA since getting here.....jury's still out on the drafting.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I loved getting Bostic/Greene/Washington. Our D just got younger and meaner. They'll be able to play in spot duty/special teams to get the flow and speed of the NFL game and be able to hit the ground running in 2014.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truely hope the offense gets going in a new direction. One that starts with keep Jay on his feet. Trestman has committed to fixing the o line more than Lovie ever did. Thats the first thing i liked about trestman. Hope it works out, cant wait till training camp starts.

herky

YEAH JEETS!!!!!!111
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
herky, I heard the same comments from Harbaugh on the radio show too. It's one thing when a guy gets asked a question and he reverts to the same ole politically correct cliche responses. But this was sincere, real, appreciation and praise for Trestman. Even Waddle and Silvy noticed the tone in Harbaugh's words were not just some canned response.

On a related note, I play fantasy football with a guy from Nova Scotia, and he's followed Tresman also in the CFL, and this guy has no doubts that Tresman's offense on the Bears will move the ball effectively.

They haven't taken a regular season snap yet, but I'm feeling really good about the offense. Haven't even "felt" that for a few years. Or ever.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I truely hope the offense gets going in a new direction. One that starts with keep Jay on his feet. Trestman has committed to fixing the o line more than Lovie ever did. Thats the first thing i liked about trestman. Hope it works out, cant wait till training camp starts.

Bears had a good line around the super bowl run, so I wouldn't blame Lovie, entirely.

I think the current woes stemmed more from Martz's system, and more importantly, Mike Tice's ego.

Dude thinks he can take anybody and make em' a LT. Everyone was always a project with that guy. His reputation as an offensive line guru, proceeded him, and I think it got the best of him, and went to his head.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anybody hear the Kreutz comments, that Tice sabotaged Mike Martz, repeatedly while he was the OC?

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm not sure if i'm happy to have trestman or happy lovie smith play not to lose is gone.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We need to get the crew over here Brian. Get this board moving. I like the set up here. Just need traffic.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i agree i checked out the packersoard a few of the good posters on that side joined this site.
but we need traffic for sure

running bear828

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I am here. lol for better or worse. I used to be badmamajama828. I cant wait for the training camp to start also. Since I live here in Bourbonnais area I just need to wake up early to get a good seat in the bleachers. Cant wait!!!

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good to see ya. How do you like the set up so far? It seems real good to me, just needs more traffic. Can't wait to start talking Bears football again.

Smart

Asshat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm very excited for the Trestman era. I just wish we'd fired Lovie after 2009 so he didn't get to ruin all of the Urlacher-Briggs-Tillman prime. Lovie was a lot like Bielema at Wisconsin. He was a good molder of teams who hired several good assistants, but he had an unspectacular football mind. The difference is that Bielema never fired Paul Chryst.

If you fire the defensive coordinator of the best defense in the league following a 13-3 Super Bowl season and the defense becomes mediocre while you miss the playoffs three straight years, you deserve to be fired. I still can't believe they brought him back.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bears should be fielding pretty much the same D, and by the grace of God, should be vastly improved on offense this year.

I had my doubts about our new GM at first, but after getting Marshall for next to nothing, bringing in Bennett and Bushrod in FA this year. I like what he's done in FA since getting here.....jury's still out on the drafting.
Missing Urlacher, Roach, D J Moore, atleast 3 D-linemen, Rod Marinelly, Lovie Smith. I doubt we'll fielding the same D.
I do like what Phil has done for our O.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Missing Urlacher, Roach, D J Moore, atleast 3 D-linemen, Rod Marinelly, Lovie Smith. I doubt we'll fielding the same D.
I do like what Phil has done for our O.

He rode the pine last year.

Tucker's D is very similar to what Lovie ran. The only real loss on the d-line was Izzy, and Wooton certainly looks to have stepped his game up enough to replace him, as he was splitting time last year with him.

The loss of Urlacher bugs me, but we brought in some serviceable fill ins, hell the LB core may actually seem a little faster out there.