• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Make me Laugh. Try to explain SOS - Strength of Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am going to assume for a moment you want an honest, serious discussion. No one argues that on field results don't matter. Everyone thinks that on field results matter. It is for that reason that your school has been lauded the past few years.

But, in an imperfect system where you can only have 4, for now, teams playing for the national championship, you have to look beyond the record. Obviously, one has to look at how that record was achieved, and against what talent it was achieve. The SOS formulas are an imperfect attempt at that, which is why they are just part of a larger set of metrics that are considered. You don't need a formula to see that your perfect record 2 years ago was accomplished against far inferior competition. Not your fault, you won every game you could win. But in determining the best 4 teams to play for the championship, where a large field tournament is not possible, one has to weigh the level of talent that each team played, even if it is imperfect.

I am going to ask you a serious question ... do you honestly believe that your team goes undefeated playing an P5 schedule in the P5? With your lack of talented depth, playing tougher teams week in and week out, it's far more likely you lose several games. Hell, Bama, Clemson and other of the best P5 rarely go undefeated because over 12 games against really good teams you lose players and you have to have depth your team simply did not have. Never mind a comparison of the talent level at the top.

So, within the imperfect system we currently have, you simply don't play enough good teams each year to get into the top 4. It really is that simple.

The math of UCF's 2017 season is much better than the perception. Based on winning percentages going one, two, three generations deep, UCF finished in the top four in all three. Their math beats that of 2009 and 2010 TCU which finished in poll/BCS top four. UCF is one of only two undefeated non power teams over the past 40 seasons to own at least three AP top 25 wins. Yet, perception treated them like they were 1998 Tulane and 2007 Hawaii.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, Alabama is 0-1 vs UCF.

beard-nod-gif.gif

#UCFacts

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The math of UCF's 2017 season is much better than the perception. Based on winning percentages going one, two, three generations deep, UCF finished in the top four in all three. Their math beats that of 2009 and 2010 TCU which finished in poll/BCS top four. UCF is one of only two undefeated non power teams over the past 40 seasons to own at least three AP top 25 wins. Yet, perception treated them like they were 1998 Tulane and 2007 Hawaii.

giphy.gif

#UCFacts

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another excellent post.

But I UCFear that it will go over our TB Bamer's head, again. The main issue that people reject UCFacts that are not inline with their preconceived perceptions (*Note the Size Myth mentioned ITT). They will continue to cherry pick stats that support their bias. Or make up "new SOS" like W% + OW% +OOOOOW% / D efficiency ^passing % * bullshit just support their bias bigotry.

We have an uphill battle on trying to get cfb fans to accept that on the field results are what matter. That Champions should be rewarded by winning rather than bias pundits opinions or how much $$$ is brought in.

#UCFacts
so in your mind, an undefeated FCS school is better than an 11-1 Alabama because Alabama lost a game?

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FCS and FBS are different divisions, noob.

If you don’t know that, you don’t belong in this thread much less this board.

#UCFacts
But the level of competition shouldn’t matter. Undefeated is better than one loss regardless of who they play is your argument.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
After years of going to practices, seeing 4*s get run over by 2*s, I have rejected all recruiting rankings. That is for another thread.

Grouping teams by a group of conference is equally UCFoolish. Saying 2-10 Arakansas is good team simply by association is UCFoolish. Most ESP5N Cartels teams are bad and have no hope of winning anything. That is for another thread.

You have been brainwashed by the ESP5N Cartel. Sadly you are just regurgitating their talking points.

Yes, I know UCF was the best team in the Nation in 2017. Nobody proved on the field to be better than us. Don't like that logic. Have the postseason determine who is the best on the UCField.

#UCFacts
I can't take anyone seriously who (1) puts UCF in front of ever word starting with F, and (2) accuses those they are having discussions with as being "brainwashed" or "regurgitating others talking points."

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Imperfect is a nice way to say Corrupt.

A large field tournament IS possible. The World Cup does it with 211 Teams all in way different quality - more variance than FBS. Way more discrepancy between teams. Also FCS and D3 has legi Playoffs with a large field. Also every State's HS football at every level has legit Playoffs for all division.

We don't have to accept a Corrupt Postseason. This is what UCF is trying to change as the Champions of Change. Do we have your support?

#UCFacts
No. I favor the current system over your imaginary system that will never happen. I am a realist.

Also, to be honest, my school is a "have" while yours is a "have not." I choose to use my football privilege to maintain the status quo and to work to better it from within a system that favors my school. Tough luck for you. Again, just being honest.

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what logistical issues there are that prevent adopting rules. I'm not suggesting a complete overhaul of college football. That said, I take don't issue with the teams picked by the committee although I don't believe their choices are right or wrong. For example, whether they pick Oklahoma, Georgia, or Ohio State for the fourth spot does not concern me. The problem is no team advances because their results are worth more as a matter of rule. How we get the outcome we get is what matters to me and a committee picking any of those three teams based on flavor of the moment justifications is an awful way to determine playoff teams.
And, yet, the only way to do it under the current limitations that simply aren't going to change. TV revenue, bowls, schools that are "haves" aren't going to let the landscape be blown up. As I stated, it is imperfect, but the best we've had in the past 50+ years. I'll take that with all the good things that come with the current system.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are hopeless if you don’t understand the NCAA divisions, noob.

#UCFacts
I understand the divisions. There is a difference in average talent level between the two. The average FCS team is significantly lower than the average FBS team. Kind like the average talent level of a G5 team is significantly lower than the average P5 team.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I understand the divisions. There is a difference in average talent level between the two. The average FCS team is significantly lower than the average FBS team. Kind like the average talent level of a G5 team is significantly lower than the average P5 team.

You’re conflating defined different leagues with bias conjecture.

I hope that helps.

#UCFacts

CJH9972

Rivals' DTP2
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, yet, the only way to do it under the current limitations that simply aren't going to change. TV revenue, bowls, schools that are "haves" aren't going to let the landscape be blown up. As I stated, it is imperfect, but the best we've had in the past 50+ years. I'll take that with all the good things that come with the current system.

A committee is not the only way to do it and replacing it with actual rules does not blow up the landscape.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You’re conflating defined different leagues with bias conjecture.

I hope that helps.

#UCFacts
So you are not using your own biases assuming that G5 teams are equal to P5 teams?

LawDawg

Sic 'em Dawgs ... woof!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A committee is not the only way to do it and replacing it with actual rules does not blow up the landscape.
I believe that the committee process that mixes objective and subjective evaluation is the best way to do it, absent a large field tournament which I don't support and isn't realistic. It has worked well the past few years, IMO. This, from a UGa fan who could argue we should have been in the NC tourney last year, although I was fine that we were excluded and understood the rationale for it.

Rolltide94

Hoopla Cash
$ 119.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are hopeless if you don’t understand the NCAA divisions, noob.

#UCFacts

Agreed, UCF is in the G5 division, a lesser division, with delusions of grandeur.

There is a reason Alabama has had 29 players drafted in the last 3 years and UCF has 30 in the last 24...

Congrats on your 2017 Plaque from Things Remembered and your Josten rings though.

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The inherinate problem which America has been dealing with for a loooooong time is that people who benefit from a Corrupt system won't look crictically at the Corrupt system.

You're right. So schools have benefited from large TV $$$ from the consolidation of the ESP5N Cartel and the corrupt system. Yes that would absolutely would change if All FBS teams had equal access to Legit NC Playoff.

But just because everyone has access doesn't mean you'll get less. That is known as the Fix Pie Fallacy.

quote-most-economic-fallacies-derive-from-the-tendency-to-assume-that-there-is-a-fixed-pie-that-one-milton-friedman-66247.jpg

Access and Competition makes the Pie Bigger

#UCFacts

UCFhonors

Hoopla Cash
$ 494.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, UCF is in the G5 division, a lesser division, with delusions of grandeur.

There is a reason Alabama has had 29 players drafted in the last 3 years and UCF has 30 in the last 24...

Congrats on your 2017 Plaque from Things Remembered and your Josten rings though.

And Bama still can't produce Top QBs like UCF has in only 22 year of FBS football.

How many has Vandy and Arkansas and UK, and USCe produced?

BTW I'm calling BS on your stats

#UCFacts

Status
Not open for further replies.