• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Magic

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not reading the National Inquirer, tomodach! I am reading several sources including most of the main-streamers like Woj, Bleacher Report, Sportswire, Lake Show Life, SB Nation and an occasional Yahoo Sports. Everyone is categorizing the ClipJoint as THE LA basketball team. Most have 90-day memories and would do that these days.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not reading the National Inquirer, tomodach! I am reading several sources including most of the main-streamers like Woj, Bleacher Report, Sportswire, Lake Show Life, SB Nation and an occasional Yahoo Sports. Everyone is categorizing the ClipJoint as THE LA basketball team. Most have 90-day memorieas and would do that these days.

You know as well as I do, there are numerous Laker haters out there Before we got LBJ, what did they say? No superstar wants to come to the LAKERS. If we had not gotten LBJ, the media would have blasted the Lakers again for not getting a superstar. We have a down year mostly due to injuries, and the Monday morning QB's are saying the Lakers made a mistake getting LBJ. I laugh at all the noise. When you have been the envy of the NBA for numerous years, you have alot of haters dancing on your grave any chance they can get. For example, Winhurst on ESPN is still butt hurt over LBJ leaving Cleveland and takes shots at LBJ daily. 0 credibility with him and all the others. Don't feed into the negative nonsense. The Lakers future is not as bleak as the media makes it out to be. If we are in this same situation next year and the Clippers win the title, then they will be the tempary kings of LA. BUT THE LAKERS ARE STILL THE SHOW in LA!!!

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tomodach you are starting to sound like TJF12. Lol.

I get your passion and frustration. We all want the Lakers to win. I am sorry, when you say the words Clippers and good, I get physically ill thinking about that possibility. And I can't bring myself to congratulate them for anything lol You bring a possible harsh reality to the Lakers situation. I just don't want to see it.

Last edited:

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading Russell ( a current all star player who is the engine driving the Nets in the playoffs ) to draft an oft injured Ball who can't shoot was a bad move. Yes, it netted them Kuzma, but they probably could've got him at 30 and just not got Hart ( who fell off the map this season ).

They didn't trade him to get Lonzo, they traded him to get Lebron. They had the #2 pick regardless of what they did with Russell. Towards the end of the season, Luke had played Russell at the 2 a lot more and he was starting to thrive. With Lonzo's passing and D-Lo's scoring, they'd have made a good duo.

But to get Lebron, they had to unload Mozgov and the cost of that was D-Lo.

Yes, you can argue they probably would've lost Zu to FA, but you don't know that for sure ( especially if he was getting PT the rest of the season- which they needed BTW and weren't getting from the two guys they traded for ).

I really don't get people acting like Zu was such a big loss. He is a backup/spot starter quality center and nothing more. 10 years ago, he would have been a solid starting center at worst and an all star at best. In today's league...he's a backup. People complained all season about the Lakers not having any shooters, they do this trade to try to address that and people complain because they gave up a backup center.

I'm ok with the way he left, because, like he said, had he sat down with Jeannie, she would've talked him into staying. And having a guy who doesn't really have his heart in it, isn't what this franchise needs.

I think his heart was in it and he really did want to bring the Lakers back. But, I think he had a lot of success with his early moves (creating cap space for 2 max level guys, drafting fairly well and signing Lebron), everybody was celebrating him and he thought it was always going to be easy and fun like that.

Then, when he started getting eviscerated for some of the other moves and the injuries and drama started up, he learned just how difficult the job really is and he wasn't interested in that part.

PEOPLESCHICKEN

Dysfunctional Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are talking with Lue??? I must have missed the press release where Lerbrawn was named President of basketball Ops

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You know as well as I do, there are numerous Laker haters out there Before we got LBJ, what did they say? No superstar wants to come to the LAKERS. If we had not gotten LBJ, the media would have blasted the Lakers again for not getting a superstar. We have a down year mostly due to injuries, and the Monday morning QB's are saying the Lakers made a mistake getting LBJ. I laugh at all the noise. When you have been the envy of the NBA for numerous years, you have alot of haters dancing on your grave any chance they can get. For example, Winhurst on ESPN is still butt hurt over LBJ leaving Cleveland and takes shots at LBJ daily. 0 credibility with him and all the others. Don't feed into the negative nonsense. The Lakers future is not as bleak as the media makes it out to be. If we are in this same situation next year and the Clippers win the title, then they will be the tempary kings of LA. BUT THE LAKERS ARE STILL THE SHOW in LA!!!

You mentioned the Lakers being the envy of the league for years & all the haters. Well I've been an offical Lakers Hater card carrier since the 80's. And as far as the down year they had this year I say if it's broke don't fix it.:heh:

Celtics in seven!

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lakers are talking with Lue??? I must have missed the press release where Lerbrawn was named President of basketball Ops

The Lakers have interviewed Monty Williams and he is said to be the #1 choice. The problem is that if the Sixers don't make it to at least the ECF, Brown is likely to fired and Williams is likely to replace him.

The other candidates are Lue and, I believe, Juwan Howard.

We don't really know if Lue can coach or not. What we do know is that the Cavs went to 4 straight finals and won 1, Lebron will listen to him and he isn't afraid to call Lebron out for stuff. That alone would be a huge help.

As for President of Basketball Operations...it's been reported that the Lakers have their guy targeted and that he's the one okaying the coaching candidates. Apparently, they can't announce anything yet because his team is still in the playoffs.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They didn't trade him to get Lonzo, they traded him to get Lebron. They had the #2 pick regardless of what they did with Russell. Towards the end of the season, Luke had played Russell at the 2 a lot more and he was starting to thrive. With Lonzo's passing and D-Lo's scoring, they'd have made a good duo.

But to get Lebron, they had to unload Mozgov and the cost of that was D-Lo.

I really don't get people acting like Zu was such a big loss. He is a backup/spot starter quality center and nothing more. 10 years ago, he would have been a solid starting center at worst and an all star at best. In today's league...he's a backup. People complained all season about the Lakers not having any shooters, they do this trade to try to address that and people complain because they gave up a backup center.

I think his heart was in it and he really did want to bring the Lakers back. But, I think he had a lot of success with his early moves (creating cap space for 2 max level guys, drafting fairly well and signing Lebron), everybody was celebrating him and he thought it was always going to be easy and fun like that.

Then, when he started getting eviscerated for some of the other moves and the injuries and drama started up, he learned just how difficult the job really is and he wasn't interested in that part.

Wrong

The trade opened up cap space to get two max FA's. Without the trade, they still would've got LeBron ( just not room for a 2nd max guy which never materialized anyways ).

Then, they could've used the 2nd pick on a real stud like Tatum instead of overhyped, always injured and can't shoot Ball.

As for Zu, I'll take the greatest GM's opinion over yours.
Here was his reaction to the Zu trade

Shortly after the trade deadline, Clippers consultant Jerry West—who spent more than 40 years with the Lakers as a player, coach and executive—got together for dinner with old friends who also had former Laker ties, sources said. He couldn’t believe how Zubac fell into his lap. The Clippers, sources said, never even called the Lakers to inquire about Zubac. The Lakers made the offer and the Clippers gladly accepted. Sources said those at the dinner table shared a hearty laugh at the Lakers’ expense.

Why would the greatest GM in the game be laughing at the Lakers over the trade if it was just a trade swap of 2 backup players?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The trade opened up cap space to get two max FA's. Without the trade, they still would've got LeBron ( just not room for a 2nd max guy which never materialized anyways ).

Not wrong at all.

The belief at the time was that Lebron wasn't coming without another star player. That's part of why they needed the cap space for 2. Additionally, we don't know if Lebron still would have come if the Lakers didn't have cap space for a 2nd star.

Then, they could've used the 2nd pick on a real stud like Tatum instead of overhyped, always injured and can't shoot Ball.

At the time, Ball was considered the #2 pick by most and definitely in the top 3. Let's not pretend that taking him #2 was some kind of "reach". Philly could have taken Tatum as well, they took Fultz who, so far, is much closer to being a bust that Lonzo will ever be. Plus, the Lakers needed a point guard more than a small forward.

Why would the greatest GM in the game be laughing at the Lakers over the trade if it was just a trade swap of 2 backup players?

Because he didn't. That story was embellished a bit. Additionally, the Lakers needed a shooter more than a backup center (which is Zubac's future). Zubac has made no difference with the Clippers and he was going to make no difference with the Lakers. A shooter, on the other hand, could have.

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not wrong at all.

The belief at the time was that Lebron wasn't coming without another star player. That's part of why they needed the cap space for 2. Additionally, we don't know if Lebron still would have come if the Lakers didn't have cap space for a 2nd star.

At the time, Ball was considered the #2 pick by most and definitely in the top 3. Let's not pretend that taking him #2 was some kind of "reach". Philly could have taken Tatum as well, they took Fultz who, so far, is much closer to being a bust that Lonzo will ever be. Plus, the Lakers needed a point guard more than a small forward.

Because he didn't. That story was embellished a bit. Additionally, the Lakers needed a shooter more than a backup center (which is Zubac's future). Zubac has made no difference with the Clippers and he was going to make no difference with the Lakers. A shooter, on the other hand, could have.

i love revionist history lol. like you said Lonzo was top pg and Laker need. There was no reaching about it. I see this nonsense usually posted by haters that we reached on Zo.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG wasn't a need until the Lakers made the trade with the Nets.
Then it became a need.

His shooting style was a HUGE question mark in how it would transition in the NBA. So far, that concern is still a concern. His inability to stay healthy has added fuel to the bust label.

Remember when Magic claimed he needed a "leader" at the PG position? Guess what? That is exactly what Russell has been for the Nets. An all star PG who is leading his team in the playoffs.

And all this talk about how the Lakers need shooters around LeBron. Well, Lonzo isn't one, but Russell is and would've been a better fit next to LeBron.

If the ultimate goal was to get LeBron, and everyone knows he needs shooters around him to be successful, then trading Russell and drafting Ball made no sense. You don't need a PG with a crappy shooting form whose court vision and passing will be negated by LeBron handling the ball makes no sense.

And, Tatum is already better than Ingram, so you can't say they couldn't use him. They would've been better off trading Ingram in the package and drafting Tatum.

Russell, Tatum, LeBron is better than Ball, Ingram, LeBron

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I read that story too ALR on Lake Show Life. It was about how the Icon was totally stunned that Zubac fell into his lap without even asking the Lakers FO and the ClipJoint FO including the Icon had a big laugh over the Lakers perceived incompetence and buffoonery that they would give up Zubac for Muscala.

BTW, the same website recently published an article indicating there is evidence afoot that Jeanie is running the Lakers with assistance from Linda Rambis is sort of a gal-pal arrangement. If there is any truth to the story, after reading it, I wanted to hurl. Seriously?

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
PG wasn't a need until the Lakers made the trade with the Nets.
Then it became a need.

Wrong!! (Did I do that right?)

Russell was playing point until towards the end of the season when Luke switched him to 2 guard. Clarkson then became the de facto point guard because he is a combo guard.

Lonzo is a pure, pass first point guard.

His shooting style was a HUGE question mark in how it would transition in the NBA. So far, that concern is still a concern. His inability to stay healthy has added fuel to the bust label.

Yes, it was. And yet he was still considered a top 3 pick and not a reach. What are not concerns are his elite vision, passing skills and above average defense.

If he doesn't improve his shooting, he will still have a long productive career in the NBA. He may not live up to his draft status, but he won't be a bust.

Remember when Magic claimed he needed a "leader" at the PG position? Guess what? That is exactly what Russell has been for the Nets. An all star PG who is leading his team in the playoffs.

Guess what? It's called a fresh start. He wasn't ever going to be a loeader with the Lakers because his teammates didn't trust him after what happened with Nick Young.

lol @all of the revisionist history.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i love revionist history lol. like you said Lonzo was top pg and Laker need. There was no reaching about it. I see this nonsense usually posted by haters that we reached on Zo.

Exactly. If a player is projected as say, a 6 to 10 pick and a team takes him at #2...that's a reach.

When a player is projected in the top 3, most have him as the #2 pick and the team with the #2 pick takes him...that's not a reach.

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wrong!! (Did I do that right?)

Russell was playing point until towards the end of the season when Luke switched him to 2 guard. Clarkson then became the de facto point guard because he is a combo guard.

Lonzo is a pure, pass first point guard.

Yes, it was. And yet he was still considered a top 3 pick and not a reach. What are not concerns are his elite vision, passing skills and above average defense.

If he doesn't improve his shooting, he will still have a long productive career in the NBA. He may not live up to his draft status, but he won't be a bust.

Guess what? It's called a fresh start. He wasn't ever going to be a loeader with the Lakers because his teammates didn't trust him after what happened with Nick Young.

lol @all of the revisionist history.

Wait! What?

So because Walton decided to experiment and play Russell at the 2, all of a sudden that means he's not a PG?

Tell me something? What position does he play with the Nets? That's right- PG

Magic played center in the NBA finals when Kareem got injured. That doesn't make him a center because they experimented with him there.

And, again, as I was stating before, Lonzo's court vision and passing is null and void with LeBron handling the ball. So, basically you have a PG whose best attributes are nullified on the court next to LeBron, who can't shoot well and plays above average defense.

That sounds like a player that needs a change of scenery, not Russell.

I respect your opinion TJ. We will just have to agree to disagree on this one

tomodach10

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yea, I read that story too ALR on Lake Show Life. It was about how the Icon was totally stunned that Zubac fell into his lap without even asking the Lakers FO and the ClipJoint FO including the Icon had a big laugh over the Lakers perceived incompetence and buffoonery that they would give up Zubac for Muscala.

BTW, the same website recently published an article indicating there is evidence afoot that Jeanie is running the Lakers with assistance from Linda Rambis is sort of a gal-pal arrangement. If there is any truth to the story, after reading it, I wanted to hurl. Seriously?
i saw that too. I could not believe it lol. Never should have happened.