• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Maddux, Glavine, Thomas elected to HOF

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of shit head excuse they will give for not making Mariano Riveria a unanimous selection (he was on the same team as A-Rod)

Yes, he breathed the same air as Arod so some PEDS probably got into his body.

BrockForBroglio

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.89
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listening the MLB on XM, there were two voters that they singled out as to why Biggio didn't get in. I don't remember their names but one said he wouldn't vote for ANY player from The ERA, he didn't vote for Maddux either. The other writer said he only votes for 3 players every year because he doesn't want the induction ceremony to drag on. If this is the closed-mindedness of some writers, they need their right to vote taken away.

That said, I like the 3 inductees. Being Cardinal fan, Glavine and Maddux were nasty rivals almost every time they took the mound. Big Hurt was a guy who crusaded hard to get testing in MLB. I truly believe he was clean as I do with Thome. They were 2 guys who just worked hard to improve themselves.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
people are still pretending like these guys never used? too much...

Oh I definitely think most of them used. I never said Bagwell didn't use, I just haven't seen any evidence besides the years he played and the fact that he looks strong. He's on no lists, in no books, and there's no concrete evidence like a failed test. But no one has given me a reason to not think these players belong in the Hall of Fame. And the hypocritical part is no one who doesn't want them in, is campaigning for the removal of players who took amphetamines. If a player took amphetamines in the 70s, there wasn't a penalty. If they took it now, it's a 50 game suspension for PED use. If a player took steroids in the 90s, there wasn't a penalty. If they took it now, it's a 50 game suspension for PED use.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm in the "I don't give a shit who used what" camp.

I'm solidly in that camp too but don't get these guys that pretend like a fan is trash for talking about it. It wasn't rumors, it really happened. No one's making it up.

Blitzville

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope. Im sure there are dozens of HOFers who "juiced" in their day. Be it steroids, amphetamines, coke or what have you. (I like that at one point the spitball being allowed again was discussd by Commish Frick. And prior to that, those who were notorious spitballers were grandfathered in when the pitch was completely outlawed after WWI.). But anyone from the current era who got caught up in the witch hunt gets black balled.

It's not a witch hunt, in fact I'd say it's the exact opposite. Overwhelming evidence is dismissed as rumor.

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh I definitely think most of them used. I never said Bagwell didn't use, I just haven't seen any evidence besides the years he played and the fact that he looks strong. He's on no lists, in no books, and there's no concrete evidence like a failed test. But no one has given me a reason to not think these players belong in the Hall of Fame. And the hypocritical part is no one who doesn't want them in, is campaigning for the removal of players who took amphetamines. If a player took amphetamines in the 70s, there wasn't a penalty. If they took it now, it's a 50 game suspension for PED use. If a player took steroids in the 90s, there wasn't a penalty. If they took it now, it's a 50 game suspension for PED use.

And the reason people forget about these little facts is because a bunch of writers decided that they weren't okay with these big bad steroid users taking their childhood hero's records. You think it's a coincidence that the steroids stories broke after McGwire/Sosa/Bonds? You think the writers covering the A's didn't know about steroids in baseball in the late 80s? HA! Quite convenient that people started to care right when records began to fall. Bunch of sheep just followed along while these writers pioneered to clean up the game.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hall of fame is a joke just like mlb

soxfan1468927

Hoopla Cash
$ 7,185.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm solidly in that camp too but don't get these guys that pretend like a fan is trash for talking about it. It wasn't rumors, it really happened. No one's making it up.

In the case of Bagwell I think it's different though. Most everyone else was either in a book, on a list of failed testers, etc. All Bagwell has was a friendship with Ken Caminiti and his physique. That's less than most suspected players so I wouldn't be surprised either way with him.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not a witch hunt, in fact I'd say it's the exact opposite. Overwhelming evidence is dismissed as rumor.

What evidence? Like Hank Aaron admitting to taking PEDs, but nobody caring? (It wasn't "illegal" when Aaron did it, baseball wise. Same as most players who are currently being blackballed.)

gunnarthor

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what kind of shit head excuse they will give for not making Mariano Riveria a unanimous selection (he was on the same team as A-Rod)

How about he was a really shitty starting pitcher?

In all honesty, do you think he was as good a pitcher as Jack Morris? And I do think Mo is the greatest relief pitcher of all time but he is also a failed starter. If Morris was put into the bullpen instead, would he be in the HOF? Would Steib? Would any of the other hundreds of starters that were too good to go to the bullpen? So, yeah, I think Mo and Hoffman and Nathan are very overrated.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was a great day to be a braves fan.

Glavine is my all time favorite brave, and my favorite Glavine moment was game six of the 1995 WS after pitching the first inning Glavine told his team to just give him one run become the Indians wont be scoring any tonight....and he was right and pitched 8 inn. of shut out ball

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's like keeping Lou Gehrig out because he was a failed outfielder.

Brilliant.

except it isn't. There's a huge difference between a guy pitching 65-75 innings and one with 200+ innings per season.

$500 Million

Elitist Douche
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
except it isn't. There's a huge difference between a guy pitching 65-75 innings and one with 200+ innings per season.

Actually, you're right, maybe I should reconsider how good Mo really was.

Maybe he was nothing more than a crap starter who wandered out to the pen and got lucky a bunch of times in the playoffs.

:suds:

Upstater

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I guess I don't get is how a group of writers who never played the game can sit and have a say who is actually worthy enough of making it into the Hall of Fame. Flawed system. Can't really think of another way to do the voting because if you leave it up to fans it will be more of a popularity contest then it already is.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just think that this is one time where nobody should have even looked at stats for Maddux. Everyone should have voted him in. Some prick (or a handfull of them) that didnt get an interview and held a grudge must be sitting alone at home thinking he finally got his payback because Mad dog was not 100% inducted.

bravesfan

simpobissible=making the simple into impossible
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only knock that I ever had on Maddux was that he was average at best in the postseason, 11-14 with a 3.27 ERA

StanMarsh51

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The only knock that I ever had on Maddux was that he was average at best in the postseason, 11-14 with a 3.27 ERA

A 3.27 ERA in the playoffs certainly isn't average. His record is more of an indication of the run support he got.

From the 1996-1999 postseasons for instance, he had a 1.89 ERA combined...yet went 6-7

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
all 3 deserve it to the HOF... But i dont understand how Frank thomas got in over Mike Piazza... If mike piazza is linked to steroids, how can the big hurt not be... there is no evidence on either, except a small rumor for piazza...

Again all 3 are deserving, and congrats to all 3... I jsut dont understand the voters...

Well, for starters, Frank Thomas was a noticeably better hitter than Piazza. Thomas isn't linked to steroids, because he was the one outspoken slugger and the only guy with enough guts to actually speak to George Mitchell. It's pretty obvious he was clean.

Either way, both should have made it by a landslide.

ImSmartherThanYou

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He'll make it next year.

Doubt it. Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz join the ballot, along with Sheffield. It's another extremely crowded ballot. I think only Johnson and Biggio will get in.