• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lundqvist extension, 7 years 8.5mil per year

dash

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy bacon
Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TSNBobMcKenzie: Henrik Lundqvist will earn $11M, incl an $8M signing bonus, in Year 1 of his extension with NYR. He will receive $5.5M in final year (7th).

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Now watch every goalie mentioned on this thread ask for $8.5 million per year once their contracts are up.

That's an exaggeration but a valid point. All parties involved look at other players deals to determine another players worth.

As for this deal, I'll be honest. I have no problem with it. Lundquist may not be the best but I think he is in the conversation. The moderate success the Rangers have had recently was mainly due to him. I think they had to resign him, and think he could have gotten more this summer so I figure it's market value. I also think some of the examples of better goalies mentioned in this thread have better teams and defenses in front of them.

I can't wait until the complaints about how much the Habs overpay for PK later this season, whether it be 3 million a year or 8.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's an exaggeration but a valid point. All parties involved look at other players deals to determine another players worth.

As for this deal, I'll be honest. I have no problem with it. Lundquist may not be the best but I think he is in the conversation. The moderate success the Rangers have had recently was mainly due to him. I think they had to resign him, and think he could have gotten more this summer so I figure it's market value. I also think some of the examples of better goalies mentioned in this thread have better teams and defenses in front of them.

I can't wait until the complaints about how much the Habs overpay for PK later this season, whether it be 3 million a year or 8.

Yeah, not $8.5 million, but $8.5 million is the new $7 million, & $7 million is the new $5 million, and so on.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, not $8.5 million, but $8.5 million is the new $7 million, & $7 million is the new $5 million, and so on.

Sather is gambling that the cap is going to go up and it's likely a pretty good gamble. However, how fast and how much the cap is going to go up is still tough to determine and one of the variables is the strength of the Canadian dollar. All that doesn't change the fact that Henrik could have signed a deal for $1 to 1.5 million less per season. Maybe that additional money helps bring in an additional guy or retain a guy that helps you win a Stanley Cup. Perhaps it doesn't make a big difference at all.

In my opinion, it looks like a pretty big overpayment. This looks like the kind of dollars that Calgary or Edmonton would have to spend to attract a guy like Henrik, not the type of money that a large desired market like New York should have to spend.

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thank goodness we don't have to worry about another lockout until 2022. I can't wait to see what goalies will be making by then.

Vadered

Future Flyer Cup-Winner
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,135.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Guys just like them HAVE been winning playoff series and Cups recently. I think that was the point several were making above. Here are the last five Cup champs with the goalie and age when they won...

2008-2009 - Fleury, 24
2009-2010 - Niemi, 26
2010-2011 - Thomas, 37
2011-2012 - Quick, 26
2012-2013 - Crawford, 28

Only Thomas in that group has a Vezina, and even his is an unusual story of a workman/struggling goalie who's game suddenly blossomed. So those Cup-winning teams have a variety of mediocre to very good goalies who got hot at the right time. It's a mixed bag. But what they all had were top notch forwards and D-men that are perennial all-stars.

The reason is simple. The best goalie in the league stops 94% of the shots at them and the worst stops around 90%. So from the worst to best you only have about a 4% difference. Whereas when you are talking about top forwards - a $7-8 million forward is going to score 30-70% more than most $4 million forwards. And their performance is going to be more consistent from year-to-year as well.

So the formula shift is simple - why spend big money on the goalie, a position that is wildly unpredictable and only marginally different from top to bottom, when you can spend big money on forwards and d-men, positions that are largely predictable and significantly different from top to bottom.

The comparison I bolded is incorrect. A 94% goalie only stops 4% more shots per game, true, but that's the same thing as saying he allows 40% fewer goals. If your team gives up 25 shots a game, that's one fewer goal per game, which is quite arguably worth a huge chunk of the cap.

The rest of yur point, however, I find to be accurate. Goaltending is wildly inconsistent, and tends to be more about who is hot in the playoffs than who is better.

dash

Hoopla Cash
$ 71.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is a dapper dude...

v8h26a.jpg

bt08

Hoopla Cash
$ 788.85
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey if Ranger fans like the deal, thats what matters. The guys one of the games best and got his pay day, you can't let a goalie like that walk..period..end of story

mattola

Scotchy Scotch Scotch!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey if Ranger fans like the deal, thats what matters. The guys one of the games best and got his pay day, you can't let a goalie like that walk..period..end of story

I guess it matters when down the line we have another lockout and can refer to over payment of players that led us to it.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess it matters when down the line we have another lockout and can refer to over payment of players that led us to it.

I still blame Bobby Holik for the one two work stoppages ago.

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still blame Bobby Holik for the one two work stoppages ago.

For pulling a pen out faster than anyone in history?

If I remember correctly the story was that other teams were offering him between 4 and 5 million and the Rangers opened with the 9 million offer.

forty_three

It’s Raining Falafel
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
For pulling a pen out faster than anyone in history?

If I remember correctly the story was that other teams were offering him between 4 and 5 million and the Rangers opened with the 9 million offer.

Well, yeah. I blame the Rangers too.

But I always blame the Rangers.

That was the benchmark contract for why the stoppage happened. Like Kovalchuk and Pronger were the ones this last time. Hence, I blame him.

stealth

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He wasnt going to walk from NY to begin with and since he already has plenty of tenure in the league, Im sure there wouldnt be that many takers for his services since we are now seeing young new goalies playing at Hanks caliber already

Comeds

Unreliable Narrator.
Hoopla Cash
$ 754.60
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that may be one of the weirder contacts ever. J Jonah Sather outdid himself with that one, Holik was a strange looking man, I can blame him too.

DragonfromTO

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He wasnt going to walk from NY to begin with and since he already has plenty of tenure in the league, Im sure there wouldnt be that many takers for his services since we are now seeing young new goalies playing at Hanks caliber already

I know he likes living in NYC but don't you think that Brooklyn team with a huge hole in net could have been an interesting idea for him?