• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lucas's Power 5 Conference Rankings - Week 3

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lewis and Peppers played last year and Michigan got run out of their own stadium...

I think OSU's offense is even more explosive this year.

They got beat because the QB had all day in the pocket, which I attribute as much to OSU talent as I do Michigan injuries - not saying Michigan would have won if they were 100% healthy but the score would have been considerably closer.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, by this "logic" and your defense of them, Oklahoma is a "good" team who just played like crap against Ohio State (and Houston).

It seems that rankings mean very little to you unless it makes meeeechegan look better. Both Ohio State & Houston are currently in the top 6 in the country. Now tell me where's CU ranked since you insist they're a better team than they really are.

Last edited:

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Michigan fan puts no stock in preseason rankings, but I bet you do. Hang on, Sloopy.

:L

Don't try to speak for me. Show me 1 comment where I said preseason rankings mean anything. Nice try though.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It actually has nothing to do with michigan whatsoever, you're getting worked up based on your lack of reasoning and understanding. My logic is exactly that - logic. Oklahoma is perennially good and just went to the CFP last year. Colorado is perennially awful and has averaged a 2-10 record for the last 5 years. Beating Oklahoma badly in Norman is significantly more impressive than needing a comeback at home to beat Colorado.

This is extremely sound reasoning, I'm very sorry you can't follow.

I'm willing to let the season unfold to see who's right if Liufau is able to come back for Colorado. Are you?

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They got beat because the QB had all day in the pocket, which I attribute as much to OSU talent as I do Michigan injuries - not saying Michigan would have won if they were 100% healthy but the score would have been considerably closer.

Michigan also didn't have Rashan Gary, the #1 overall recruited player in the country, last year either.

When Michigan and OSU play you can pretty much throw out the record books due to the intensity of the rivalry and mutual loathing...

B_dub

Hoopla Cash
$ 547.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas’s Week 3 P5 Conference Rankings

After another great week of college football, we definitely saw some conferences so their dominance, and we had one conference that may have just gotten out of having a team make the playoffs. So, below is my updated list of the Power 5 Conferences, based purely on their likelihood of getting 1 (maybe 2) teams into this year’s College Football Playoffs.

So here is the list.

1. B1G TEN

It was a great day for the big dogs in the B1G TEN. You had the marquee game where Ohio State absolutely dominated last year's BIGXII’s playoffs representative in Oklahoma. In another huge national game, you had Michigan State go into South Bend, IN, and defeat a very talented Notre Dame team. You also had Michigan fight off an underrated Colorado team, and Wisconsin avoid the embarrassment of the weak against the new Georgia State Panthers.

I have the B1G TEN with 4 possible contenders for the CFB playoffs, especially since Iowa feel off after losing against the #1 team in the nation...in the FCS. I still don’t think Wisconsin is good enough to make a run, but this conference definitely looks to have 3 teams that could make a run at the National Championship this year.

2. ACC

Well, in a week when you had one of the preseason ACC favorites loss in FSU, you also had a team step up and make a strong case for deserving the #1 ranking in the nation. Louisville absolutely dominated the Seminoles, and Lamar Jackson made a strong case for his Heisman push, and this being in the same conference as another great team and QB, in Clemson & Watkins.

The ACC is definitely a conference that fields 2 powerhouses, that either could make a run at the playoffs, and if preseason rankings didn’t exist, I think you’d be seeing Louisville top the charts in the AP Poll.

3. SEC

Without really understanding what is going on in the SEC East with UGA, Florida, & Tennessee, the conference is really looking like it belongs to Alabama...again. LSU may have been able to find a QB, but with Fournette’s injury concerns, and really looking like a one trick pony, I just don’t know who can overtake Alabama as the SEC team to make it to the playoffs.

We are still early in the season, but UGA has looked really rocky since beating UNC to start off the year, UT has struggled...against everyone, and that’s saying something since they really haven’t played anyone that will really finish off with a ‘strong’ season. Florida is looking better, but regardless of whomever comes out of the East, they will likely lose hope once in the SEC Championship again against Saban’s Alabama. Realistically, I think this is a one horse race.

4. PAC-12

The PAC-12 is looking like it’ll come down to 2 teams in Stanford & Washington. Both teams have looked strong early on, and Stanford has already defeated their rivals in USC. The conference, which in the past has eaten itself alive and thus didn’t send a representative to the playoffs last year. The worst thing that could happen would be the likes of teams that are talented, but not great (Arizona State, USC, Cal, and Utah) knocking off one, or both of the two big dogs this year, and thus likely opening the door for an independent to get in for the first time.

5. BIG XII

Yikes, it was an awful day for the conference. The top ranked team, Texas, lost to California. The preseason pick to win the conference, Oklahoma, got humiliated against Ohio State, and you have a Baylor program that is surrounded with negative press and suffered a max exodus of talent, leaving them a bit short on the talent level. TCU already has a loss, and this conference still does not have a championship game, thus leaving all teams with 12 games, instead of the 13 that the other conference champions have.

With only 2 teams in the top 25, I’m really not sure what scenario gets a team in this conference into the CFB playoffs.

What do you think?
I think the Big 12 is still too high.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seems that ranking mean very little to you unless it makes meeeechegan look better. Both Ohio State & Houston are currently in the top 6 in the country. Now tell me where's CU ranked since you insist they're a better team than they really are.

First, I'm NOT insisting CU is good. From the beginning, I've said that with Liufau they may finish the season ranked and shake up the PAC-12. I also said they are a better team with Liufau than most people thought. If you going to jump into the argument with your Ohio State buddies, it's probably good to know what the argument is about.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm willing to let the season unfold to see who's right if Liufau is able to come back for Colorado. Are you?
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This entire thread was me speculating on what would happen based on how things sit right now. Based on how things are right now, and based on recent history, Ohio State's OOC performance is significantly more impressive than michigan's. Anything can happen obviously, and never once did I say this is ironclad and things will undoubtedly happen just as I say.

You're the one who came in getting upset because evidently I'm supposed to pimp Colorado and assume Oklahoma is going to completely crumble. Stop getting your panties in a bunch and take a step back. Nobody cares about your team's crappy OOC except for you, even if you are trying your hardest to polish that turd.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:L

Don't try to speak for me. Show me 1 comment where I said preseason rankings mean anything. Nice try though.

Show me where I said preseason rankings mean anything. So, take your own advice--don't speak for me.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, I'm NOT insisting CU is good. From the beginning, I've said that with Liufau they may finish the season ranked and shake up the PAC-12. I also said they are a better team with Liufau than most people thought. If you going to jump into the argument with your Ohio State buddies, it's probably good to know what the argument is about.

If I say meeeechegan is awesome will you shut the hell up about CU being better than they really are? Because that's what your rant is really about.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't tell if you're being serious or not. This entire thread was me speculating on what would happen based on how things sit right now. Based on how things are right now, and based on recent history, Ohio State's OOC performance is significantly more impressive than michigan's. Anything can happen obviously, and never once did I say this is ironclad and things will undoubtedly happen just as I say.

You're the one who came in getting upset because evidently I'm supposed to pimp Colorado and assume Oklahoma is going to completely crumble. Stop getting your panties in a bunch and take a step back. Nobody cares about your team's crappy OOC except for you, even if you are trying your hardest to polish that turd.

And, I also speculated on what could happen based on how things sit right now. You jumped on my comments as if I was somehow disrespecting your beloved Buckeyes. It seems as if you are the one with your panties in a bunch. I am glad to see you at least admit that "anything can happen." If things happen the way you say, I'm willing to admit that I had it wrong. How about you?

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that the two sides can't even have a rational conversation without resorting to name calling and accusations, guys it's the BIGGEST rivalry in college sports (certainly football) - can we discuss our opinions professionally and give the rivalry the respect it deserves? :noidea:

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I say meeeechegan is awesome will you shut the hell up about CU being better than they really are? Because that's what your rant is really about.

Even I don't think Michigan is "awesome" . . . YET. So, don't bother. And, don't tell me what MY rant is about--you don't know anything about me.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find it funny that the two sides can't even have a rational conversation without resorting to name calling and accusations, guys it's the BIGGEST rivalry in college sports (certainly football) - can we discuss our opinions professionally and give the rivalry the respect it deserves? :noidea:

That would be good if it were possible. And, for the record, I did not "name call" anyone.

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Michigan is not awesome.............yet - the Colorado game attested to that. I will sat though, that if Colorado had jumped out to a 14 pt. lead against Michigan with Rodriguez or Hoke at the helm, they'd still be partying in Boulder.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even I don't think Michigan is "awesome" . . . YET. So, don't bother. And, don't tell me what MY rant is about--you don't know anything about me.

jimharbaugh.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And, I also speculated on what could happen based on how things sit right now. You jumped on my comments as if I was somehow disrespecting your beloved Buckeyes. It seems as if you are the one with your panties in a bunch. I am glad to see you at least admit that "anything can happen." If things happen the way you say, I'm willing to admit that I had it wrong. How about you?
Again, I can't tell if you're being serious or not. If you were asked to speculate on what would happen if you put your hand in water, you'd say your hand would get wet. You wouldn't be considering the alternatives because they are foolish. Maybe this will help you understand how logic works in this scenario.