• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lucas's Power 5 Conference Rankings - Week 3

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I don't know if you can leave Houston out, even with one loss. The rest of the Group 5s had better go undefeated to have a chance.

From the ACC Clemson and Louisville can go. Florida State is toast.

B1G Ohio State not convinced on anyone else at this time

Big 12 Baylor or West Virginia? Not happening. I even think that if Baylor went undefeated they might be slighted just to send a message. Which is what should happen. Don't reward cheating. The NCAA has done nothing, the CFP Selection Committee can show some common sense and decency.

PAC 12 Stanford not convinced on anyone else at this time. Don't bring up Washington. When you beat Rutgers, Idaho(being kicked out of Sun Belt, going FCS), and Portland State(FCS), not impressed at all.

SEC Alabama maybe Georgia. Florida looks impressive until you see who they have played. And their QB is out.

For me there are just six teams, Alabama, Clemson, Houston, Louisville, Ohio State, and Stanford.

The rest are battling for bowl games and recruits.
If you have Clemson in there, you've gotta have Washington, michigan and Michigan State. What has Clemson done this year outside of barely beat Auburn and nearly lose to Troy at home? Washington's schedule hasn't been difficult but they've been thoroughly dominant, Sparty has a ranked win and michigan has at least beaten all FBS teams (unlike Clemson).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you had no business losing to Michigan State last year, but in college football, anything can happen.

A lot of 'tough' games left for Ohio State. @ Wisconsin, @ Penn State, Nebraska, @ MSU, Michigan.
This is true, we definitely didn't. However, a game like that was bound to happen to OSU last year with how we were playing. This year's team has so much more confidence it seems. Our schedule is definitely not easy, though I'm not sure I would count Penn State in with that group. They are sputtering bad.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is true, we definitely didn't. However, a game like that was bound to happen to OSU last year with how we were playing. This year's team has so much more confidence it seems. Our schedule is definitely not easy, though I'm not sure I would count Penn State in with that group. They are sputtering bad.

They are, but it's on the road, and everyone is gunning for OSU in that conference, so you're likely to get everyone's A game.

7Samurai13

Funniest SH member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a really interesting scenario there. If michigan beats Ohio State and wins the conference, I could possibly see OSU getting the #4 seed with wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State on their record (3/4 of those on the road). However, if OSU beats michigan, I'm not sure michigan will have the resume to get in. Their OOC hurt them this year.
In this scenario, Michigan would have a win over 2/3 loss Michigan State and 2-4 loss Wisconsin. The game against Iowa lost a lot of it's luster with them losing to North Dakota State.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a really interesting scenario there. If michigan beats Ohio State and wins the conference, I could possibly see OSU getting the #4 seed with wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State on their record (3/4 of those on the road). However, if OSU beats michigan, I'm not sure michigan will have the resume to get in. Their OOC hurt them this year.

If Oklahoma continues to lose games in the season, why would Ohio State get into the playoff with one loss? Wouldn't their record be pretty much the same as Michigan's, who you say would be hurt by their OOC?

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B10 nutswingers may be worse than the SEC nutswingers. We shall have to wait and see

With how many years of a constant barrage of SEC superiority thrown in our face and plastered all over every single fucking article you read, and every single segment you watch regardless of the network, it's gonna be hard for some people not to give the double bird salute for a little while.

Don't worry, the narrative will be "this is just a down year for the SEC"

Still, I think we have a couple seriously overrated teams right now. Michigan is not a top 5 team. Wisconsin didn't even play like a top 50 team on saturday. Iowa was fraudulent.

The only team that looks fully equipped to take on all comers from the SEC right now is Ohio State.

But to the people who even try to say we're "nutswinging" on this board, I say

giphy.gif

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oklahoma continues to lose games in the season, why would Ohio State get into the playoff with one loss? Wouldn't their record be pretty much the same as Michigan's, who you say would be hurt by their OOC?
Well, I'm not assuming Oklahoma will continue to lose games, as most people aren't either. Secondly, no matter how badly you're trying to swing it, nobody ever in their right minds would equate a comeback win at home vs. Colorado as being remotely close to a blowout win on the road vs. Oklahoma in terms of being impressive.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, I'm not assuming Oklahoma will continue to lose games, as most people aren't either. Secondly, no matter how badly you're trying to swing it, nobody ever in their right minds would equate a comeback win at home vs. Colorado as being remotely close to a blowout win on the road vs. Oklahoma in terms of being impressive.

Okay. Here's a quote from Sooner4Life: "Is this how older fans stop giving a shit? Is it that the team not meeting expectations while getting your hopes up? This was suppose to be arguably the best team in the nation pre-season. I'm not sure I can take watching this dumpster fire thats's full of 4*s top to bottom that will play in the NFL, any more this season. The odds are they will somehow get lit up against Texas, TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma State. Ohio State is a great team but it was like OU was the Iowa State of the matchup, wasnt close at all."

So, some people who are not Michigan fans apparently disagree with you about Oklahoma's chances of avoiding more losses.

Brasky

Till We Can't Be Beat. WON'T. BE. BEAT.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody sleepin' on Nebraska when this is the rest of their schedule leading up to @ Wisconsin and @ Ohio St:

@Northwestern (AKA home away from home. We are Chicago's CFB team)
Illinois
BYE
@Indiana
Purdue

Will be heavily favored in every game for the next month+

Mike Riley teams historically and almost without fail get better and better as the season goes on. What does that mean? I don't know. Nobody knows.

One thing I DO know: Nebraska has the best talent in the B1G west. ESPECIALLY at the skill positions. Sure, LSU was also much more talented than Wiscy, but they had a tackling dummy for a quarterback and an OC who couldn't coach his way out of a paper bag.

Last edited:

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay. Here's a quote from Sooner4Life: "Is this how older fans stop giving a shit? Is it that the team not meeting expectations while getting your hopes up? This was suppose to be arguably the best team in the nation pre-season. I'm not sure I can take watching this dumpster fire thats's full of 4*s top to bottom that will play in the NFL, any more this season. The odds are they will somehow get lit up against Texas, TCU, Baylor and Oklahoma State. Ohio State is a great team but it was like OU was the Iowa State of the matchup, wasnt close at all."

So, some people who are not Michigan fans apparently disagree with you about Oklahoma's chances of avoiding more losses.
So taking the quote of a random OU fan from a message board shortly after a huge home loss now makes OSU's win no better than michigan barely escaping a bad Colorado team at home? This is why my scenario is as it is. Unless Oklahoma goes 4-8 or 5-7 (which would be best case scenario for Colorado), the two OOC slates are nowhere near comparable.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Remember 2014? Ohio State lost to a VT team that finished the regular season @ 6-6. So if OU would lose more games why would that hurt Ohio State's chances of getting into the Playoff?

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember 2014? Ohio State lost to a VT team that finished the regular season @ 6-6. So if OU would lose more games why would that hurt Ohio State's chances of getting into the Playoff?
She's trying to get people to think escaping Colorado at home is as impressive as beating Oklahoma on the road.

Wamu

whats-a-matta-u?
Hoopla Cash
$ 420.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
She's trying to get people to think escaping Colorado at home is as impressive as beating Oklahoma on the road.

That's insane. But I can understand why a meeeechegan fan would try to argue that nonsense. The previous 2 years CU went 6-19. This year their only W's are against a very bad CSU team & tiny Idaho State. The Buffs are getting better but by no means are they anything close to a good team.

umichgradfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So taking the quote of a random OU fan from a message board shortly after a huge home loss now makes OSU's win no better than michigan barely escaping a bad Colorado team at home? This is why my scenario is as it is. Unless Oklahoma goes 4-8 or 5-7 (which would be best case scenario for Colorado), the two OOC slates are nowhere near comparable.

First, Michigan didn't "barely escape" Colorado (winning by 17 points) although the beginning of the game was grim, I'll agree. I mean, it isn't like Ohio State ever had to battle back from an early deficit. I also didn't say that the current situation makes Ohio State's win no better than Michigan's--I said that, if Oklahoma continues to lose games (as this Oklahoma fan thinks they might), Ohio State's win over them will be less convincing. I also said that if Liufau (Colorado's starting QB) is able to come back, Colorado may finish the season ranked. Get a grip. I realize that you love your Buckeyes and that you don't want to think about this possibility, but it is viable nonetheless. The season is in very early stages.

belcherboy

Hoopla Cash
$ 8,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IMO, if you lose the final week of the season, you are pretty much done...even if that is your only loss. In the Michigan vs. OSU scenario, assuming both go undefeated into the November matchup and/or the winner of that game only has one loss, the loser would not only have a loss on their record, but lose a shot at the B10 Championship Game. Unless the top 10 is littered with two loss teams, I just don't see much of a scenario where the loser of the Michigan vs. Ohio State sneaks in the backdoor of the playoffs. Even if that loser has only one loss. When it comes to rankings, WHEN you lose a game in the season is often times as important as WHO you lost to. IMO, that is what makes the late November match up of Michigan v Ohio State so great! (or at least hopefully it becomes great again)

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First, Michigan didn't "barely escape" Colorado (winning by 17 points) although the beginning of the game was grim, I'll agree. I mean, it isn't like Ohio State ever had to battle back from an early deficit. I also didn't say that the current situation makes Ohio State's win no better than Michigan's--I said that, if Oklahoma continues to lose games (as this Oklahoma fan thinks they might), Ohio State's win over them will be less convincing. I also said that if Liufau (Colorado's starting QB) is able to come back, Colorado may finish the season ranked. Get a grip. I realize that you love your Buckeyes and that you don't want to think about this possibility, but it is viable nonetheless. The season is in very early stages.
You're the one that came at me questioning my reasoning, getting all defensive because I brought up a very valid point. Sorry if you can't handle the truth.

Chasin' Utleys

Uber Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Colorado is not a bad team. If they didn't lose their starting QB this one would have gone down to the wire. Michigan haters will say Michigan is soft because they let Colorado get up by two touchdowns, Michigan proponents will say they showed mettle and resolve against a talented team.

Michigan won, but didn't cover the 17.5 pt. spread - Harbaugh also didn't score another TD which would have been Michigan's third 50+ game in a row, something they haven't done since 1903. Speight is a huge QB with some mobility, I expect him to improve as the season continues (and am comfortable with O'Korn coming off the bench....they will suffice until McCaffery arrives in Ann Arbor. Where I see a need is in our backfield, lots of guys playin' tough but no world-beaters in that backfield (unless Peppers is back there :wink:).

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, if you lose the final week of the season, you are pretty much done...even if that is your only loss. In the Michigan vs. OSU scenario, assuming both go undefeated into the November matchup and/or the winner of that game only has one loss, the loser would not only have a loss on their record, but lose a shot at the B10 Championship Game. Unless the top 10 is littered with two loss teams, I just don't see much of a scenario where the loser of the Michigan vs. Ohio State sneaks in the backdoor of the playoffs. Even if that loser has only one loss. When it comes to rankings, WHEN you lose a game in the season is often times as important as WHO you lost to. IMO, that is what makes the late November match up of Michigan v Ohio State so great! (or at least hopefully it becomes great again)
You're definitely not wrong, it would be very difficult. The reason I say it, though, is that even if OSU loses, we will still likely have 4 ranked wins on our record. If we keep winning impressively as we are, even 1 loss at the end of the year might not be enough for the CFP to keep us out. I think the Big 12 gets left out, and if Houston loses at all, they're out (which I think will happen vs. Louisville).

The ACC champ will get in (provided it's not some crazy upset team from the Coastal), The SEC champ (Alabama, let's be honest) will get in, the B1G champ would get in, and then you're looking at a scenario where the Pac 12 champ and OSU are the final choices. I'm personally not sold on Stanford or Washington as being better than OSU, and both could finish the year easily with a loss or two. The CFP is by no means obligated to take one of them of OSU if they believe OSU is one of the 4 best teams. That's the nice thing about having an objective committee to choose and not just going by the polls.