• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lucas's Power 5 Conference Rankings - Week 3

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lucas’s Week 3 P5 Conference Rankings

After another great week of college football, we definitely saw some conferences so their dominance, and we had one conference that may have just gotten out of having a team make the playoffs. So, below is my updated list of the Power 5 Conferences, based purely on their likelihood of getting 1 (maybe 2) teams into this year’s College Football Playoffs.

So here is the list.

1. B1G TEN

It was a great day for the big dogs in the B1G TEN. You had the marquee game where Ohio State absolutely dominated last year's BIGXII’s playoffs representative in Oklahoma. In another huge national game, you had Michigan State go into South Bend, IN, and defeat a very talented Notre Dame team. You also had Michigan fight off an underrated Colorado team, and Wisconsin avoid the embarrassment of the weak against the new Georgia State Panthers.

I have the B1G TEN with 4 possible contenders for the CFB playoffs, especially since Iowa feel off after losing against the #1 team in the nation...in the FCS. I still don’t think Wisconsin is good enough to make a run, but this conference definitely looks to have 3 teams that could make a run at the National Championship this year.

2. ACC

Well, in a week when you had one of the preseason ACC favorites loss in FSU, you also had a team step up and make a strong case for deserving the #1 ranking in the nation. Louisville absolutely dominated the Seminoles, and Lamar Jackson made a strong case for his Heisman push, and this being in the same conference as another great team and QB, in Clemson & Watkins.

The ACC is definitely a conference that fields 2 powerhouses, that either could make a run at the playoffs, and if preseason rankings didn’t exist, I think you’d be seeing Louisville top the charts in the AP Poll.

3. SEC

Without really understanding what is going on in the SEC East with UGA, Florida, & Tennessee, the conference is really looking like it belongs to Alabama...again. LSU may have been able to find a QB, but with Fournette’s injury concerns, and really looking like a one trick pony, I just don’t know who can overtake Alabama as the SEC team to make it to the playoffs.

We are still early in the season, but UGA has looked really rocky since beating UNC to start off the year, UT has struggled...against everyone, and that’s saying something since they really haven’t played anyone that will really finish off with a ‘strong’ season. Florida is looking better, but regardless of whomever comes out of the East, they will likely lose hope once in the SEC Championship again against Saban’s Alabama. Realistically, I think this is a one horse race.

4. PAC-12

The PAC-12 is looking like it’ll come down to 2 teams in Stanford & Washington. Both teams have looked strong early on, and Stanford has already defeated their rivals in USC. The conference, which in the past has eaten itself alive and thus didn’t send a representative to the playoffs last year. The worst thing that could happen would be the likes of teams that are talented, but not great (Arizona State, USC, Cal, and Utah) knocking off one, or both of the two big dogs this year, and thus likely opening the door for an independent to get in for the first time.

5. BIG XII

Yikes, it was an awful day for the conference. The top ranked team, Texas, lost to California. The preseason pick to win the conference, Oklahoma, got humiliated against Ohio State, and you have a Baylor program that is surrounded with negative press and suffered a max exodus of talent, leaving them a bit short on the talent level. TCU already has a loss, and this conference still does not have a championship game, thus leaving all teams with 12 games, instead of the 13 that the other conference champions have.

With only 2 teams in the top 25, I’m really not sure what scenario gets a team in this conference into the CFB playoffs.

What do you think?

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Granted you guys aren't great, but I still think you've got a talented team. Still think the win at ND is bigger than it may look like it was on paper.

fishinabarrel

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
B10 nutswingers may be worse than the SEC nutswingers. We shall have to wait and see

nathans8823

Well-Known Notre Dame Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 203.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Granted you guys aren't great, but I still think you've got a talented team. Still think the win at ND is bigger than it may look like it was on paper.
I mean we would have a talented team IF we had a different Defensive Coordinator

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Talented team and poor coaches are different though. Just look at USC..

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lucas Good analysis IMHO. This year may be the year a conference could get two teams in the CFP...but things would have to fall just right.

Most conferences have teams not really good enough to win the championship but good enough to fuck up someone else's season with a win or two.

Reactions: Eco

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@Lucas Good analysis IMHO. This year may be the year a conference could get two teams in the CFP...but things would have to fall just right.

Most conferences have teams not really good enough to win the championship but good enough to fuck up someone else's season with a win or two.

Thanks, I have a feeling that two conferences could get left out, which would open the door to Houston. The problem with Houston is 2 things, they basically have to destroy everyone, and then also play Louisville later in the season.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thanks, I have a feeling that two conferences could get left out, which would open the door to Houston. The problem with Houston is 2 things, they basically have to destroy everyone, and then also play Louisville later in the season.
If Oklahoma ends up at 9-3 or 10-2, and Louisville is unbeaten in ACC play but loses to Houston, I don't know how you can leave Houston out (provided they're unbeaten).

Deep Creek

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big 12 is basically out for all practical purposes...and deservedly so. The PAC 12 may cannibalize itself even if they are significantly deeper than some conferences. The best formula for a conference to get in seems to be have a few real good teams and then a bunch of dogs. Get a signature win without getting upset.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Oklahoma ends up at 9-3 or 10-2, and Louisville is unbeaten in ACC play but loses to Houston, I don't know how you can leave Houston out (provided they're unbeaten).

That's the thing, Houston cannot lose. But we also have a scenario that if the loser of OSU/Michigan has just one loss, while the other wins the conference undefeated, it wouldn't absolutely shock me to see two teams from the Big TEN get in.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's the thing, Houston cannot lose. But we also have a scenario that if the loser of OSU/Michigan has just one loss, while the other wins the conference undefeated, it wouldn't absolutely shock me to see two teams from the Big TEN get in.
That would be a really interesting scenario there. If michigan beats Ohio State and wins the conference, I could possibly see OSU getting the #4 seed with wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State on their record (3/4 of those on the road). However, if OSU beats michigan, I'm not sure michigan will have the resume to get in. Their OOC hurt them this year.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That would be a really interesting scenario there. If michigan beats Ohio State and wins the conference, I could possibly see OSU getting the #4 seed with wins over Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Nebraska and Michigan State on their record (3/4 of those on the road). However, if OSU beats michigan, I'm not sure michigan will have the resume to get in. Their OOC hurt them this year.

You're probably right. And we have a lot that could happen between then and now, but I agree if OSU has one loss they should still get in with their resume.

HuskerinBig10

Dad, World Traveler, Investor, college football
Hoopla Cash
$ 436.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I don't know if you can leave Houston out, even with one loss. The rest of the Group 5s had better go undefeated to have a chance.

From the ACC Clemson and Louisville can go. Florida State is toast.

B1G Ohio State not convinced on anyone else at this time

Big 12 Baylor or West Virginia? Not happening. I even think that if Baylor went undefeated they might be slighted just to send a message. Which is what should happen. Don't reward cheating. The NCAA has done nothing, the CFP Selection Committee can show some common sense and decency.

PAC 12 Stanford not convinced on anyone else at this time. Don't bring up Washington. When you beat Rutgers, Idaho(being kicked out of Sun Belt, going FCS), and Portland State(FCS), not impressed at all.

SEC Alabama maybe Georgia. Florida looks impressive until you see who they have played. And their QB is out.

For me there are just six teams, Alabama, Clemson, Houston, Louisville, Ohio State, and Stanford.

The rest are battling for bowl games and recruits.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Right now, I don't know if you can leave Houston out, even with one loss. The rest of the Group 5s had better go undefeated to have a chance.

From the ACC Clemson and Louisville can go. Florida State is toast.

B1G Ohio State not convinced on anyone else at this time

Big 12 Baylor or West Virginia? Not happening. I even think that if Baylor went undefeated they might be slighted just to send a message. Which is what should happen. Don't reward cheating. The NCAA has done nothing, the CFP Selection Committee can show some common sense and decency.

PAC 12 Stanford not convinced on anyone else at this time. Don't bring up Washington. When you beat Rutgers, Idaho(being kicked out of Sun Belt, going FCS), and Portland State(FCS), not impressed at all.

SEC Alabama maybe Georgia. Florida looks impressive until you see who they have played. And their QB is out.

For me there are just six teams, Alabama, Clemson, Houston, Louisville, Ohio State, and Stanford.

The rest are battling for bowl games and recruits.

Surely you have to add Michigan though. They've done nothing to say otherwise and Colorado is actually a good team.

Across The Field

Oaky Afterbirth
Hoopla Cash
$ 24,656.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You're probably right. And we have a lot that could happen between then and now, but I agree if OSU has one loss they should still get in with their resume.
Based on the first 3 weeks, I'm starting to wonder who that 1 loss will be against. The B1G looks really strong right now, but OSU is the unquestioned top dog. I'd love to see another unbeaten run, and what would likely be a regular season rematch with either Wisconsin or Nebraska in the B1G CCG.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you had no business losing to Michigan State last year, but in college football, anything can happen.

A lot of 'tough' games left for Ohio State. @ Wisconsin, @ Penn State, Nebraska, @ MSU, Michigan.