• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lowell Cohn gives 49er draft a C+

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Crap! I accidentally clicked on the link before I realized who wrote it. :(

As far as drafting a CB, I'm glad they didn't fore a CB pick. The really weren't many good options at CB other than Slay at 31, and Reid will help a lot more as a rook than Slay would have.

Jikkle

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
He does make a point about not drafting a CB which is legit but not drafting a CB shouldn't drop it down to a C+.

We did get value on our picks and did fill need areas so it's not like we were reaching left and right on players and picking guys that left most scratching their heads.

erckm510

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the point about the Niners needing a CB at all. The pass rush was much more important then drafting a freaking slot CB. The secondary performed for the most part fine. They gave up a bunch of big plays which is what everyone remembers. They shut down Rodgers, Ryan and Flacco in the 2nd halves of all their games.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think if Smith and Smith recover fully from their surgeries and Tank is able to come on towards the second half of the season to make the dline more fresh and Reid is as good as advertised it will mask whatever deficiencies we have at cornerback. With 3-4 3rd round picks next year we can address it then.

I_am_1z

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Skip Bayless of beatwriting

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A few pundits were down on our draft results overrall...

as far as addressing CB, do they ignore the fact we signed Aso in FA? Am I the only one looking at that as an upgrade?

SFAnthem

Brain dead Hacker
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't buy the point about the Niners needing a CB at all. The pass rush was much more important then drafting a freaking slot CB. The secondary performed for the most part fine. They gave up a bunch of big plays which is what everyone remembers. They shut down Rodgers, Ryan and Flacco in the 2nd halves of all their games.

This is how I see it, too.

The secondary only became an issue when the pass rush slowed down. Of course, these two aspects go hand in hand but it was the injuries and overall wearing down of the d-line that left the niners secondary exposed.

Hangman

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,152.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I give his writing a F-----

I wonder how he got a job writing about a team he obviously likes to fail

kennyt12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We fixed a major need which was D-line. With the picks we have next year we can fix our DB problem and hopefully draft another WR.

You can't fix everything in one year but Balke sure did do his best to take care of our d-line.

MrChangoT97

Dr. Pepper is the bomb
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who carez what he writes/says. I will judge for myself once I watch the pre-season.

Kinzu

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What issue do we have at corner? Brown, Rodgers, Nnamdi, and Culliver are better than most teams 4 corners.

The team with DB issues is the Atlanta Falcons and people still think they are Super Bowl team. If they make the playoffs next year it will be on the strength of that offense, because defensively they got much worst this off-season.

We lost Goldson and that's it. Sadly we have not replaced Whitner though. Hopefully Reid and can step in fast and Nnamid shows everyone it was never problem but the Eagles lousy Defensive talent that made him look bad. We also made some major upgrades in this draft to our already pretty good pass rush.

And Cohn is a moron. The majority of the sites I have seen have us as one of the best grades in the draft. They believe Carradine, Lattimore, Patton, and Lemonier were all steals at the time they were picked. They bring up the odds all of them panning out to be great players is not likely, but it's very likely at least 2 of them do which makes it a good draft and 3 of them would make it an outstanding draft for a team already in the Super Bowl hunt.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

totally agree the pass rush comes first, so no problem with how it turned out.
was hoping for a later pick on a coverage CB, but oh well.........can't draft for everything even with 11 picks.

that said i do see his point, just that he's exaggerating as usual.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
What issue do we have at corner? Brown, Rodgers, Nnamdi, and Culliver are better than most teams 4 corners.

The team with DB issues is the Atlanta Falcons and people still think they are Super Bowl team. If they make the playoffs next year it will be on the strength of that offense, because defensively they got much worst this off-season.

We lost Goldson and that's it. Sadly we have not replaced Whitner though. Hopefully Reid and can step in fast and Nnamid shows everyone it was never problem but the Eagles lousy Defensive talent that made him look bad. We also made some major upgrades in this draft to our already pretty good pass rush.

And Cohn is a moron. The majority of the sites I have seen have us as one of the best grades in the draft. They believe Carradine, Lattimore, Patton, and Lemonier were all steals at the time they were picked. They bring up the odds all of them panning out to be great players is not likely, but it's very likely at least 2 of them do which makes it a good draft and 3 of them would make it an outstanding draft for a team already in the Super Bowl hunt.

we should be fine on the outside, but its the 'slot' guys that hurt? past examples were Harvin, Amendola, and Cruz, and now Tavon Austin.

Berkeley_Blues

Retired Experience Junkie
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
COHN probably would have downgraded the Niners for reaching to pick Kaepernick 2 years ago too.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny bc everything I have seen we were giving an A or B+

maniax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
This dude is an idiot.

He wanted us to draft CBs that are not better than the CBs on our team, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds?

Anyone with any sense knows the problem we had in the playoffs last year was our D line got worn down and we had two injured guys out there (the Smiths), Ahmad Brooks wasn't 100%, and our depth was gone (Haralson).

We need quality D line and linebacker depth. That I felt was our #1 need.

We added 5 dudes: Tank, Lemonier, Dial, Dorsey, Okoye (subtract 2: Soap and RJF).
I think we are WAY deeper now. Some of these guys will be our future starters.