• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Losing Howard hurts

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wheres @BsGenius i was hoping for some witty retort to the facts. I'm firmly on team #rb'sdontmatter. However, some are more talented than others, and give an extra oomph. This being the case for at worst 2 of 3 years.

Montgomery is a better runner than Howard. I would watch the games instead of peering at stat lines and you should be able to see that.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This Bears fan infighting in this thread is lolz

Dude, for years...

This board just eats each other alive. It's kind of nuts how dysfunctional this board is.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wheres @BsGenius i was hoping for some witty retort to the facts. I'm firmly on team #rb'sdontmatter. However, some are more talented than others, and give an extra oomph. This being the case for at worst 2 of 3 years.

Sorry. I only respond to comments worth responding to. And your comment didn't warrant the genius's response since your argument is precisely what I already refuted. But you're too dumb to notice.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, for years...

This board just eats each other alive. It's kind of nuts how dysfunctional this board is.
It's Chicago fans. Look at Cubs fans for example. No world series wins in over 100 years. Theo and Jed come in, hire Joe Maddon, make some great picks and such and manage to break through in 2016. All we see the years following are "what is wrong with this team", Joe Maddon needs to go, Theo and Jed need to go, and so on. It's REALLY hard to win a championship in any sport let alone win multiples in a row. Jordan and the Bulls were an anomaly, just like the Patriots and Brady are as well. And even then, that's only one team out of 30 or so in a given sport. The rest are scratching and clawing and won't see championships.

Chicago fans, by and large, are extremely fickle and unrealistic. Ever since i grew up and realized it's just some games to watch and enjoy no matter the result, it's so much less stressful to be a fan. I really want to see the Bears win but i'm not going to let their failure to meet sky-high expectations ruin my day or my life.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sorry. I only respond to comments worth responding to. And your comment didn't warrant the genius's response since your argument is precisely what I already refuted. But you're too dumb to notice.
So you are a complete idiot. Check.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery is a better runner than Howard. I would watch the games instead of peering at stat lines and you should be able to see that.
Montgomery was a better college runner than Howard. Yes. Not yet as a pro.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worst team boards on the Hoop...Redskins>>Bears.

It's close tho. Redskins have been awful for decades...Bears...well, we have BS.

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Montgomery was a better college runner than Howard. Yes. Not yet as a pro.
Not the numbers, sure. But watch them both run. Montgomery has had very little room to run so far as our run blocking has been rather atrocious, constantly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. The eye test says Montgomery is the better runner however.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not the numbers, sure. But watch them both run. Montgomery has had very little room to run so far as our run blocking has been rather atrocious, constantly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. The eye test says Montgomery is the better runner however.
Montgomery is a stud, but nothing is guaranteed.

Howard, despite not being shifty, just produces. Their are different types of backs. Certainly Earl Campbell was a great back, but he definitely will never be compared to Barry Sanders either.

Both got it done tho.

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's Chicago fans. Look at Cubs fans for example. No world series wins in over 100 years. Theo and Jed come in, hire Joe Maddon, make some great picks and such and manage to break through in 2016. All we see the years following are "what is wrong with this team", Joe Maddon needs to go, Theo and Jed need to go, and so on. It's REALLY hard to win a championship in any sport let alone win multiples in a row. Jordan and the Bulls were an anomaly, just like the Patriots and Brady are as well. And even then, that's only one team out of 30 or so in a given sport. The rest are scratching and clawing and won't see championships.

Chicago fans, by and large, are extremely fickle and unrealistic. Ever since i grew up and realized it's just some games to watch and enjoy no matter the result, it's so much less stressful to be a fan. I really want to see the Bears win but i'm not going to let their failure to meet sky-high expectations ruin my day or my life.

I'm sorry...I couldn't hear all this over the sound of the 15 straight Super Bowl championships we're gonna win starting right now....or else Nagy's ass gets fired.

SteelersPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.44
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i agree. i 100% agree. I was a HUGE proponent of montgomery dating back to BEFORE the start of LAST college football season. I still am. Dudes good. But howards run blocking those first two years i dont think was stellar as well, and he got something out of it, i think he adjusted quicker. I would be curious what advanced metrics say about the run blocking when comparing the two.

@richig07 and @Nelly dont get me wrong. Im fully a montgomery support, couldnt believe he went round 3.

Im merely stating that howard didnt have crap either, and got something out of it, and transitioned quickly to be a premier RB in the purest sense for at least his first 2 of 3 years. He didnt suck.
Montgomery is a stud, but nothing is guaranteed.

Howard, despite not being shifty, just produces. Their are different types of backs. Certainly Earl Campbell was a great back, but he definitely will never be compared to Barry Sanders either.

Both got it done tho.
yep, exactly

genius.

genius

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
no i agree. i 100% agree. I was a HUGE proponent of montgomery dating back to BEFORE the start of LAST college football season. I still am. Dudes good. But howards run blocking those first two years i dont think was stellar as well, and he got something out of it, i think he adjusted quicker. I would be curious what advanced metrics say about the run blocking when comparing the two.

@richig07 and @Nelly dont get me wrong. Im fully a montgomery support, couldnt believe he went round 3.

Im merely stating that howard didnt have crap either, and got something out of it, and transitioned quickly to be a premier RB in the purest sense for at least his first 2 of 3 years. He didnt suck.

yep, exactly

genius.

genius

The Jordan Howard thing going on in this board is just weird. There's a million sh*tty players you could b*tch about that have come and gone on the Bears, and we're having some sort of hard-on for knocking one of the actually good ones. Howard didn't fit Nagy's O. We moved on and found a decent replacement, and for that we should be thankful. The big fear was moving on and finding a dud. That didn't happen. So shouldn't it be peaches and cream? Nope...Of course not... so this conversation is still even happening. Most probable (like 99.9%) reason is "I must be right on the internet."

Nelly

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Howard didn't fit Nagy's O.
At this point, it might be fair to ask if it was all Howard's fault or not. We keep saying that he wasn't a fit but he was traded to another Reid disciple's team who runs a similar system and he's found success there.

Howard really struggled to run the ball early in the season last year and now Montgomery is struggling to run the ball early this season. The constant here is the Bears, the O line and the coaching. Maybe it's the run blocking, maybe it's gameplan, maybe it's that we don't do a good job setting to the factors that contribute to a successful running game here in Chicago? It's definitely some combination of those.

I'm leaning much more to the run blocking. Daniels isn't a road grader, Whitehair is solid, Long sucks now and Leno was never a big run blocking guy. The only one with a reputation as a mauler is Massie, otherwise, the line is more geared toward pass blocking. We also don't have any tight ends that could be considered great blockers and we don't have a full back either. All that said, it looks like Montgomery is doing a pretty good job trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad, turning 1 yard losses into 2 yard gains rather consistently but that's not good enough as a team.

Last edited:

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At this point, it might be fair to ask if it was all Howard's fault or not. We keep saying that he wasn't a fit but he was traded to another Reid disciple's team who runs a similar system and he's found success there.

Howard really struggled to run the ball early in the season last year and now Montgomery is struggling to run the ball early this season. The constant here is the Bears, the O line and the coaching. Maybe it's the run blocking, maybe it's gameplan, maybe it's that we don't do a good job setting to the factors that contribute to a successful running game here in Chicago? It's definitely some combination of those.

I'm leaning much more to the run blocking. Daniels isn't a road grader, Whitehair is solid, Long sucks now and Leno was never a big run blocking guy. The only one with a reputation as a mauler is Massie, otherwise, the line is more geared toward pass blocking. We also don't have any tight ends that could be considered great blockers and we don't have a full back either. All that said, it looks like Montgomery is doing a pretty good job trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad, turning 1 yard losses into 2 yard gains rather consistently but that's not good enough as a team.

For sure Nagy is going to have to own up to some accountability if the run game (and the offense as a whole) does not get going. And there's no doubt that he was at the forefront of moving on from Howard.

Montgomery was a hit if we just give him a chance and shore up all the other goddamn issues on offense.

Of course, I do have bias. I much prefer a dual threat (but can still handle a decent workload) type back (a la Ladainian Tomlinson)...so Montgomery is way more in my wheelhouse than Howard.

This move was going to happen. You could see it coming all last year and into the offseason. We should celebrate that Howard's replacement is good. It could have been another Salaam/Enis disaster. And yes, thinking Montgomery is a hit could be seen as premature-and that is definitely fair-but you can see how goddamn close the dude is to just breaking one out in a lot of runs. It's just a matter of time before he hits...continually. My body is ready.

BsGenius

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have him on ignore, so my bad.

Smart. Make sure you stick with it. Never relent.

Because otherwise the genius devours idiots.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Smart. Make sure you stick with it. Never relent.

Because otherwise the genius devours idiots.

3cewm5.jpg