• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Losing Howard hurts

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think how good those stats would be if we didn't wait until week 7 to give him the goddamned ball.

3g3tqe.jpg

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Think how good those stats would be if we didn't wait until week 7 to give him the goddamned ball.

Eh. There were two or three games where we really didn't "try". GB and NO were the only ones with single digit carries and we also used Mike Davis in the GB game. He had 13, 18 and 21 carries in weeks 2, 3 and 4.

We should have been running more. Just not immensely more where I think he would have like 700 yards or something.

More I-formation with Holtz as the FB, though. I'll take a double order of that. :)

flclfanman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. There were two or three games where we really didn't "try". GB and NO were the only ones with single digit carries and we also used Mike Davis in the GB game. He had 13, 18 and 21 carries in weeks 2, 3 and 4.

We should have been running more. Just not immensely more where I think he would have like 700 yards or something.

More I-formation with Holtz as the FB, though. I'll take a double order of that. :)

But that's too "pedestrian" for our "offensive guru" of a HC.

Apparently its better to run out of shotgun or just hocus-pocus trick plays to Tarik and Patterson.

Why be boring and effective when you can surprise everyone with garbage run designs? :rolleyes:

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But that's too "pedestrian" for our "offensive guru" of a HC.

Apparently its better to run out of shotgun or just hocus-pocus trick plays to Tarik and Patterson.

Why be boring and effective when you can surprise everyone with garbage run designs? :rolleyes:

Yeah, him trying to "trick" the opposition instead of beating them drives me nuts.

There's undoubtedly a time/place for misdirection in the run game. There IS a time to try and catch a defense off-guard... but god damn. Sometimes you have to trust that your guys up front can beat theirs.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, him trying to "trick" the opposition instead of beating them drives me nuts.
What's frustrating as hell is the shotgun formations on 2nd and 6 and so on. Or shotgun on 3rd and 2. That's basically no threat to run as we haven't done too well out of shotgun running the ball.

IMO, one reason Trubisky has struggled throwing the ball is because we're really tipping our plays a lot. If he was under center on a 2nd and 6 in single back or I formation, the defenses HAS to respect the run threat, which would allow a quick play action or a quick 3-5 step drop and hit a slant or out to either get the 1st or set up 3rd and short. And if you have 3rd and short, you can keep going under center for that run threat to keep the defense honest.

When we go shotgun, the defense loves it. Makes it easier to defend the run so they can cheat on the pass and make life more difficult for Mitch.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

There's undoubtedly a time/place for misdirection in the run game. There IS a time to try and catch a defense off-guard... but god damn. Sometimes you have to trust that your guys up front can beat theirs.

Nagy's offense seems to be based on having the defense dictate where the offense goes...Find the weakness/opening in the defense, attack it. It sounds good in theory...but I've never been a big fan of that as a first choice philosoply. Do what your players do well first. Force the defense to adjust to you. Then, attack some instances that are open if tendencies are shown.

It's arrogance, tbh. And having Mitch out there doing this kind of stuff has kaboshed him. He NEEDED to be a Peyton Manning-like intellect QB immediately for this to work consistently. He isn't...so it didn't. And so goes the 2019 Bears hopes and possibly beyond...

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's frustrating as hell is the shotgun formations on 2nd and 6 and so on. Or shotgun on 3rd and 2. That's basically no threat to run as we haven't done too well out of shotgun running the ball.

IMO, one reason Trubisky has struggled throwing the ball is because we're really tipping our plays a lot. If he was under center on a 2nd and 6 in single back or I formation, the defenses HAS to respect the run threat, which would allow a quick play action or a quick 3-5 step drop and hit a slant or out to either get the 1st or set up 3rd and short. And if you have 3rd and short, you can keep going under center for that run threat to keep the defense honest.

When we go shotgun, the defense loves it. Makes it easier to defend the run so they can cheat on the pass and make life more difficult for Mitch.

I saw a stat recently that we see more stacked boxes than any team in football. Teams never respect Mitch and the passing game. The only time we don't see that is 3rd and long situations. I want more power I-formation. However, I don't think more I-formation would draw an increased amount of defenders into the box. As I think that's impossible.

Mitch can get them out of the box by connecting on his throws beyond 15 yards, though.

beardown07

Upstanding Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw a stat recently that we see more stacked boxes than any team in football. Teams never respect Mitch and the passing game. The only time we don't see that is 3rd and long situations. I want more power I-formation. However, I don't think more I-formation would draw an increased amount of defenders into the box. As I think that's impossible.

Mitch can get them out of the box by connecting on his throws beyond 15 yards, though.

Mitch has his flaws, and I hate to be the guy to defend him, but o-line play has been pretty bad, coaching has been pretty bad, WRs have the most drops in the league, and the TE position has been complete and utter shit.

I'm not ready to bail on Mitch yet, and I don't think the Bears will be either.

Mitch will be the Bears QB next year.

I know that's an unpopular opinion.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mitch has his flaws, and I hate to be the guy to defend him, but o-line play has been pretty bad, coaching has been pretty bad, WRs have the most drops in the league, and the TE position has been complete and utter shit.

I'm not ready to bail on Mitch yet, and I don't think the Bears will be either.

Mitch will be the Bears QB next year.

I know that's an unpopular opinion.

Something dramatic would have to happen over our last 7 games for Mitch to be our starter on opening day next season. And I'm not sure if I'm even rooting for that at this point, because it could be extending the pain of the entire situation.

Mitch WILL be on the roster in 2020...but I doubt he starts outside of an injury a la Chase Daniel.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something dramatic would have to happen over our last 7 games for Mitch to be our starter on opening day next season. And I'm not sure if I'm even rooting for that at this point, because it could be extending the pain of the entire situation.

Mitch WILL be on the roster in 2020...but I doubt he starts outside of an injury a la Chase Daniel.

Something dramatic would have to happen over our last 7 games for Mitch to be our starter on opening day next season.

Hmm. I would not say "dramatic". However, he is certainly playing for his job. Yes. Given our cap situation and lack of a first round pick, though. It's far from an impossibility (IMO) that Pace digs his feet in the ground to give his guy one more crack at it.

I actually think a VERY realistic scenario is a vet like Alex Smith, Mariota or Dalton being brought in for a "camp competition". I could even see them wanting to go with Mitch and then Mitch is benched by October 2020. This is not done yet, IMO.

Mitch WILL be on the roster in 2020

I would not rule out the idea of Mitch being apart of a trade if that's the route we go for a QB. That happens a lot when a team trades for a new starter. An example would be us including Orton in the deal for Cutler. I could see a team taking on Mitch as a "reclamation project" in a backup role.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't rule all of this stuff out.

Nelly

Respectin' hoes, nationwide
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something dramatic would have to happen over our last 7 games for Mitch to be our starter on opening day next season.

Hmm. I would not say "dramatic". However, he is certainly playing for his job. Yes. Given our cap situation and lack of a first round pick, though. It's far from an impossibility (IMO) that Pace digs his feet in the ground to give his guy one more crack at it.

I actually think a VERY realistic scenario is a vet like Alex Smith, Mariota or Dalton being brought in for a "camp competition". I could even see them wanting to go with Mitch and then Mitch is benched by October 2020. This is not done yet, IMO.

Mitch WILL be on the roster in 2020

I would not rule out the idea of Mitch being apart of a trade if that's the route we go for a QB. That happens a lot when a team trades for a new starter. An example would be us including Orton in the deal for Cutler. I could see a team taking on Mitch as a "reclamation project" in a backup role.

I'm just saying that I wouldn't rule all of this stuff out.
If i'm betting, i would put my money on Alex Smith.
  1. He shouldn't cost a whole lot considering what happened to his leg
  2. Considering the above, he's not a strong threat to take Mitch's job
  3. Considering the above, it makes it more likely that Pace will be able to give Mitch one more year to try to find "it"
Mitch is due $9 million next year. Probably not too attractive to a team that doesn't seem him as a potential legit starter.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I mean, name a first round QB who didn't cycle through a variation of this exact same laundry list of excuses. This stuff isn't new. This hot potato of the "blame game" around the QB so we can avoid admitting he stinks.

There's always something to point at man. There's always something that doesn't measure up.

I mean, Rex, Kyle, Jay... Oh boy, did I give them every benefit of the doubt and refuse to put the blame on them until it was absolutely undeniable that they weren't franchise guys. Hell, I defended Kyle up until the day he was traded for Cutler. That's all that is going on here with Mitch. We are doing the same thing.

I am done doing it. I don't have it in me anymore.

Every failed franchise QB had parts failing around him. Also, a HC failing. They usually go out together. Generally, the QB doesn't just pickup somewhere else and set the world on fire. Very rare to have happened, if it ever has. Steve Young is a valid example but that was a different time and a total anomaly.

On the flip-side, those TE's, this HC, this O-line, these WR's...??? They have a BAD QB too.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If i'm betting, i would put my money on Alex Smith.
  1. He shouldn't cost a whole lot considering what happened to his leg
  2. Considering the above, he's not a strong threat to take Mitch's job
  3. Considering the above, it makes it more likely that Pace will be able to give Mitch one more year to try to find "it"
Mitch is due $9 million next year. Probably not too attractive to a team that doesn't seem him as a potential legit starter.

I agree and I like it. He's a very underappreciated QB, IMO.

People view him as a "game manager" but he was much more than that in the end with SF and his last couple years with KC. Hell, he had Washington at 5-2 and leading the division last year. That's like Moses shit. lol

I disagree, though. I think he would absolutely be viewed as a threat to Mitch and that it would be a competition at camp.

Jiddy

Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree and I like it. He's a very underappreciated QB, IMO.

People view him as a "game manager" but he was much more than that in the end with SF and his last couple years with KC. Hell, he had Washington at 5-2 and leading the division last year. That's like Moses shit. lol

I disagree, though. I think he would absolutely be viewed as a threat to Mitch and that it would be a competition at camp.

Any quarterback we bring in will most assuredly be the frontrunner for the job. I can't actually think of one that would be worth signing that would be considered a backup to Trubisky. Daniel is out because f*ck paying that guy top backup money...or any money tbh. What foolishness. Our GM/Coach are being indirectly ridiculed by some of the results we're seeing at the backup QB position outside of Chicago.

God this season has sucked...Trubisky and Daniel both punting away game-deciding picks in must-have games really symbolizes it well.