• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Los Angeles Lakers 2019-2020 Season Thread

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have attempted to get Kyle Lowry which along with keeping Caruso and Horton-Tucker would be a step in the right direction in the backcourt. Selecting Butler in the draft with the 22nd pick would be a good addition as well. Keeping Drummond and Gasol would be a good start in the frontcourt but they need a true center who can play defense along with shooting similar to what Howard did.
Al Horford is a big who they could get. Plays defense, rebounds, passes and can still score 13-15ppg. Plus, he has 3 point range.

Let Drummond walk, he's not suited to this team.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boogie and Nerlens Noel are also available, MJ. Yea, Drummond is iffy at best. He was promised to be the starter and that was stupid on the Lakers part because they went downhill when Gasol came off the bench.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 12,201.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al Horford is a big who they could get. Plays defense, rebounds, passes and can still score 13-15ppg. Plus, he has 3 point range.

Let Drummond walk, he's not suited to this team.
Al isn't a "sexy" acquisition, but he'd be very good. He had some really good games for the Thunder before they shut him down and played the kids.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like that idea alot TJF12. I think Lonzo would love to come back to LA and play for the Lakers with AD and perhaps LeBron.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I saw the headlines but didn't have a chance to read the article yet, TJF12. Lonzo's game has improved especially in the three-point shooting department and he is playing better D. I think Vogel would like him back as well.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great Article TJF12. Of the three, Ellington and Ball would be the most favorable. I think Williams is done and we don't need anymore players on the downside of their career.

Here is another article with some possibilities as many of these choices are or will be FAs.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even with all the injuries, the Lakers managed to retain the fourth best overall defense this year. What changed from the bubble championship year is our horrible perimeter shooting and of course injuries.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find the situation with the Lakers to be pretty interesting. In the off-season, they made several changes and, on paper, had managed to significantly improve a defending champ. That's not easy to do when you consider salary caps and other teams not exactly being interested in trades that will help the team get better.

If you just look at the result of the season, those "upgrades" did not work and the team actually got worse. But...

When you consider that both Lebron and AD were out for long stretches and most of it at the same time, they never got to play together long enough to get everyone on the same page. When healthy, this team was 23-7 and a repeat was seen as almost a foregone conclusion. In the playoffs, with AD healthy and Lebron playing, but not 100%, they still took a 2-1 lead on the Suns.

So, do you make "wholesale changes", make some tweaks (they could still use consistent outside shooting and rim protector might be nice) or just run it back? I think an argument can be made for all 3.

Personally, I'm in favor of "tweaks" that make sense, like the aforementioned consistent outside shooting and a rim protector.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well maybe tweaks for one more run but the championship run(s) window is closing for LeBron. Not so much for AD. Maybe one more year together than send LeBron to MIami for some major roster changes back in LA.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I find the situation with the Lakers to be pretty interesting. In the off-season, they made several changes and, on paper, had managed to significantly improve a defending champ. That's not easy to do when you consider salary caps and other teams not exactly being interested in trades that will help the team get better.

If you just look at the result of the season, those "upgrades" did not work and the team actually got worse. But...

When you consider that both Lebron and AD were out for long stretches and most of it at the same time, they never got to play together long enough to get everyone on the same page. When healthy, this team was 23-7 and a repeat was seen as almost a foregone conclusion. In the playoffs, with AD healthy and Lebron playing, but not 100%, they still took a 2-1 lead on the Suns.

So, do you make "wholesale changes", make some tweaks (they could still use consistent outside shooting and rim protector might be nice) or just run it back? I think an argument can be made for all 3.

Personally, I'm in favor of "tweaks" that make sense, like the aforementioned consistent outside shooting and a rim protector.

Agreed, tough to get roles set and familiar when the lineups had to keep shifting. Some changes will likely be forced upon them if players walk (Harrell, for example). Schroder is talking like he wants back, but we'll see what the Lakers offer is. Also, Lebron's window is getting pretty short, so they may opt to try a big move and fill in behind it.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lakers have attempted to get Kyle Lowry which along with keeping Caruso and Horton-Tucker would be a step in the right direction in the backcourt. Selecting Butler in the draft with the 22nd pick would be a good addition as well. Keeping Drummond and Gasol would be a good start in the frontcourt but they need a true center who can play defense along with shooting similar to what Howard did.

Howard himself will available again this summer. Of course, he's likely to panic again if he doesn't get a phone call early the first day of free agency, so you have to act quick lol.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, tough to get roles set and familiar when the lineups had to keep shifting. Some changes will likely be forced upon them if players walk (Harrell, for example). Schroder is talking like he wants back, but we'll see what the Lakers offer is. Also, Lebron's window is getting pretty short, so they may opt to try a big move and fill in behind it.

Trying to make a big move could be interesting. Not sure what they could pull off though. Seems like it would have to be someone willing to try to force their way to the Lakers.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses Moody is projected to be our pick at 22 and some have the Lakers taking Butler. I think the Lakers seriously need to consider a true Center but the pickings appear to be thin this year.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Moses Moody is projected to be our pick at 22 and some have the Lakers taking Butler. I think the Lakers seriously need to consider a true Center but the pickings appear to be thin this year.

I've also seen a couple where they are projected to take Chris Duarte from Oregon, who would be perfect. A literal 3 and D wing.

Problem with him is I've seen him projected anywhere from #14 or #15 to #23.

So it seems that while there's a chance he could still be there...he probably won't be.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that 3 and D wing is a big hole in the Lakers offense/defense. WE need to get younger as the Suns are proving to just about everybody.

trojanfan12

Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, that 3 and D wing is a big hole in the Lakers offense/defense. WE need to get younger as the Suns are proving to just about everybody.

I'm not too concerned about the Suns to be honest. Not that that they aren't good, but look at their path.

They got the Lakers with 60% of Lebron and no AD.

They got the Nuggets without Jamaal Murray.

And they got the Clippers without Kawhi.

If Lebron is still at 60%, but the Lakers have a healthy AD, the Suns don't get out of the first round.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is probably true but the Suns are now without Paul who was an integral part of their play this year. The Suns now have players who may have been considered on the side of pedestrian stepping-up and playing quite well unlike a tired and disjointed Lakers team that just looked out of sorts all year.