• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Kings at New York Rangers 11/17/13 | 7:00pm

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What a performance by the backup goaltender. But that was far too close for this old man's heart.

Ox

pete6835

Buuuuuurp!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To bad we didn't keep Bernier, at least we still have Quick for trade bait:whistle:

Who is this Quick guy, and why are they paying him $7 mil ? ? ? ? :noidea:

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who is this Quick guy, and why are they paying him $7 mil ? ? ? ? :noidea:

Really ?? :L

I will remind you who he is :10:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oplAJI-ScdM]Jonathan Quick wins the conn smythe trophy 2012 (MVP) Stanley Cup Finals - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't rest on their laurels though. Gotta get ready for Tampa Bay who in spite of losing Stamkos is playing very, very well. And we all know how tough that first home game can be after a rough road trip.

Ox

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't rest on their laurels though. Gotta get ready for Tampa Bay who in spite of losing Stamkos is playing very, very well. And we all know how tough that first home game can be after a rough road trip.

Ox

This

KickSave

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think LALakersboy picks up on sarcasm too easily lol

Look at Scrivens!! Hell yeah and got him at a great price

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that Bernier trade is looking like a steal right now.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow, that Bernier trade is looking like a steal right now.

I think what helps(tonight he faced 37 shots but in general) is that Ben Scrivens isn't playing in a system where they're giving up 40+ shots every night, that certainly helps a goalie and doesn't get him tired in the long run - the Leafs system is horrible for goaltenders in the long run - I know some goalies like to see more shots but facing 35-40 shots every game? That adds up in the long run - system has helped Ben Scrivens but he's played awesome too

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Good start to the second though. Another goal by Toffoli. How can Lombardi send this kid back to Manchester after the injured players return?

I don't know either. He has 4g and 4a in seven games played, what else does he have prove that he does not belong on the big club?

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know either. He has 4g and 4a in seven games played, what else does he have prove that he does not belong on the big club?

This guy on twitter, I'm not sure if you guys know him, his name is Dennis Bernstein(his twitter handle is DennisTFP), he keeps saying when everyone gets healthy, Tyler Toffoli should go back to the AHL because he won't be able to play in the top 6 - that's bullshit, if he's producing, you keep him up - they can't break up the Manchester line anyways - the Kings need to have the most productive players playing, it's just like when Slava Voynov came up a few seasons ago and was playing well - they weren't going to keep Jack Johnson, especially if it meant getting a scorer like Jeff Carter

Some of the dead weight, like Colin Fraser, will be gone at some point and it will allow them to keep these young kids in the lineup - there should be a transition period where the Kings will have lines like this

23-11-14
74-10-77
70-57-73
17/71-28-21

One of Dan Carcillo or Jordan Nolan will rotate in that 12th/13th forward spot

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The Kings are in a tough spot with Toffoli. He's playing well and is cheap at $717K (his ELC) but when Carter comes back the Kings will have a problem. Toffoli has shown he can play a T6 role, but once Carter comes back he will assume his spot on the second line which bumps Toffoli.

King amazingly is playing well on the first line with Williams and Kopitar, and I don't think Sutter will tinker with that which means Toffoli is now relegated to B6 ice time and duties. I don't think that's fair to him but finances and roster spots dictate otherwise.

They won't be putting a close to $6 million scorer in Carter in the B6 so even moving guys like Fraser, even Clifford, does nothing to keep Toffoli in the T6. His only hope is to see King's play decline a bit, giving him a shot at the first line or maybe moving Carter up if that happens and taking his spot permanently on the second line. The problems of not only developing a good player but having a good team as well.

This is where I believe the signing of Brown to a long term extension was a mistake. All things the same (Toffoli looking like he belongs, Brown looking like a bag of concrete) it would have been much easier to send Brown off as a pending UFA and Toffoli is now a permanent member of the team than how it stands currently.

Brown's play has been awful and even if they were interested in moving him, his contract leave very limited trading partners.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Kings are in a tough spot with Toffoli. He's playing well and is cheap at $717K (his ELC) but when Carter comes back the Kings will have a problem. Toffoli has shown he can play a T6 role, but once Carter comes back he will assume his spot on the second line which bumps Toffoli.

King amazingly is playing well on the first line with Williams and Kopitar, and I don't think Sutter will tinker with that which means Toffoli is now relegated to B6 ice time and duties. I don't think that's fair to him but finances and roster spots dictate otherwise.

They won't be putting a close to $6 million scorer in Carter in the B6 so even moving guys like Fraser, even Clifford, does nothing to keep Toffoli in the T6. His only hope is to see King's play decline a bit, giving him a shot at the first line or maybe moving Carter up if that happens and taking his spot permanently on the second line.

The problems of not only developing a good player but having a good team as well.

As I said in my last post, you make the Manchester Line as the 3rd line, they will still get plenty of opportunities and this team needs to score some goals

It will give them more options on the PP too - they can use three different PP lines instead of two - the top three lines are all PP worthy

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said in my last post, you make the Manchester Line as the 3rd line, they will still get plenty of opportunities and this team needs to score some goals

It will give them more options on the PP too - they can use three different PP lines instead of two - the top three lines are all PP worthy

The organization is not going to change their fundamental theology to accommodate three kids who have had some early success but have no long term body of work to say this is how it's going to be. Wishful thinking but not realistic.

All four lines bang but the Kings top 2 lines are the scoring lines. The third line is essentially a checking line with some skill (Stoll for example) and the fourth line is out there to disrupt and check only mainly.

I don't want to see him go down any more than you do but once the injured guys come back the party is pretty much over.

Real tough spot for Toffoli, he has too much skill to waste on the B6 lines but because of who the Kings have up top there will be no room for him once Carter comes back.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The organization is not going to change their fundamental theology to accommodate three kids who have had some early success but have no long term body of work to say this is how it's going to be. Wishful thinking but not realistic.

All four lines bang but the Kings top 2 lines are the scoring lines. The third line is essentially a checking line with some skill (Stoll for example) and the fourth line is out there to disrupt and check only mainly.

I don't want to see him go down any more than you do but once the injured guys come back the party is pretty much over.

Real tough spot for Toffoli, he has too much skill to waste on the B6 lines but because of who the Kings have up top there will be no room for him once Carter comes back.

I get that and the organization has done well the last few years with that theory, but sometimes you have to make some adjustments and realize that these guys are for real and you have to let these guys play - Kings need those big guns like Dustin Brown to step up - I'm somewhat afraid that if they send those kids down, this team is going to have some trouble scoring goals and in a tough Western Conference, that might hurt the Kings - Dustin Brown has one point in the last 3 weeks I think - he HAS to step up and so do some of these other guys, but I really think having these kids up will make the team better

It's not about accommodating these young kids just because they've played well for a week or two but the Kings value chemistry and these kids have it, nobody is perfect but they've shown an ability to know where each other are and that definitely is important

I don't want the Kings to rest on their laurels and send these guys down just because of their "philosophy", konwing that these kids could legitimately make a huge difference to this teams offense - that is one whole line we're talking about, not just one player - I could see it if we were talking one player, but that WHOLE line looks good together and I think you have to keep them together - you have to adjust on the fly, teams like Chicago have let the younger kids play and see what they have - the Kings don't need to completely adjust their philosophy, but sometimes you get handed certain things that aren't meant to say no to, you have to take it and run with it and I feel like these kids are in that stage right now

blk4x499

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

They won't be putting a close to $6 million scorer in Carter in the B6 so even moving guys like Fraser, even Clifford, does nothing to keep Toffoli in the T6. His only hope is to see King's play decline a bit, giving him a shot at the first line or maybe moving Carter up if that happens and taking his spot permanently on the second line. The problems of not only developing a good player but having a good team as well.

This is where I believe the signing of Brown to a long term extension was a mistake. All things the same (Toffoli looking like he belongs, Brown looking like a bag of concrete) it would have been much easier to send Brown off as a pending UFA and Toffoli is now a permanent member of the team than how it stands currently.

Brown's play has been awful and even if they were interested in moving him, his contract leave very limited trading partners.

Tough spot to be in for sure. King no dountably is playing his best hocker in his career, but...You give Toffoli his minutes, he will out produce King. I would move King down to the 3rd, Carter up the first and keep Toffoli on the second. Richards and Toffoli are playing well together. Brown, Stoll and King would make a heck of a 3rd line.

Fox4Kings

Hoopla Cash
$ 600.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's no way Toffoli gets sent down. I'd be willing to bet anyone that feels otherwise. I think he's fine on the 3rd line with Stoll and whoever. He will still get PP time with the second unit so I don't think he gets lost there. He's essentially getting 3rd line minutes even now without Carter, so I really don't see much changing.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carter returning shouldn't automatically take Toffoli's spot. For one, Carter plays LW and Toffoli RW. Right now Richards is centering King on LW and Toffoli on RW. Carter bumps King. Sutter could move King back up with Kopitar and Williams but more it would be down to the 3rd line with Stoll and whoever. Brown has looked much better of late after being put back up with Kopitar and Williams after the short stint on the 3rd line. Interesting situation to say the least.

No way all 3 youngsters stay up with the big club though. Toffoli could very well stay up and have 2 forwards as healthy scratches once everyone is back from injuries but Vey and Pearson are destined to go back to Manchester and either wait for another callup later or next year's training camp.

Ox