• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: Los Angeles Kings at New York Rangers 11/17/13 | 7:00pm

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
third_jersey_logo.jpg
vs.
144.gif

at

MSG.jpg

Game Time: 7:00pm EST/4:00pm PST - FS-West​

KINGS (13-6-1) at RANGERS (10-9-0)

TV: FS-W, MSG

Last 10: Los Angeles 7-2-1; New York 7-3-0

Season series: The New York Rangers defeated the Los Angeles Kings 3-1 on Oct. 7 for their only win during the five-game western start to a season-opening nine-game road trip. This is the final meeting of 2013-14.

Big story: The Kings used goaltender Ben Scrivens back-to-back in place of Jonathan Quick, who was injured in overtime of the first game of this four-game road trip that ends here.

Scrivens allowed two goals to the New York Islanders in a 3-2 win Thursday before shutting out the New Jersey Devils 2-0 on Friday.

"You have to flush that now," Scrivens told FOX Sports West after the game Friday. "We have to start focusing on and preparing for the Rangers, that's our next challenge. You never want to rest on your laurels or your accomplishments. That's always the challenge, 'What have you done for me lately?' These past two games are great that we got the win, but they're meaningless to dwell on. We have to keep focusing ahead now."

Team Scope:

Kings: Scrivens is likely to get almost all of the work in net while Quick takes the 4-6 weeks expected to recover from a grade-2 groin strain.

Friday, Scrivens faced 12 Devils shots in the first period after seeing seven against the Islanders on Thursday.

"You can't look at it one way or the other," Scrivens said Friday of the workload. "You have to just face what comes at you, because if [I say] I need 'X' number of shots in the first, and when you don't get it, now you've mentally put yourself behind the eight-ball.

"So you're better off, I think, to just go out there, if you get 25, you get 25, if you get two, you get two, but you have to play them all honestly and try and play them all the same and your mentality towards it and towards your preparation shouldn't change."

The Kings spent their day off in Manhattan.

Rangers: New York avoided losing two in a row for the first time since getting back home Oct. 28, defeating the Montreal Canadiens 1-0 at Bell Centre on Saturday.

The Rangers are 3-1-0 in the first game of a back-to-back, 2-1-0 so far in the second.

"The first one is always an important one to get," forward Dominic Moore told NHL Network. "I thought we did a lot of good things tonight. Obviously, we didn't give up much, credit [goalie] Cam Talbot when we did."

The Rangers have a pair of three-game winning streaks which have helped them get over .500, now for a second time.

"We had not the start we wanted, obviously I think even we underestimated how tough that start was, being on the road for those first three weeks," Moore said. "But credit to the coaching staff for staying even-keeled throughout that, and just focusing on improvement, and as a team we're just continuing to focus on getting better every day. ... Big picture, it's a long season, if we keep doing that, we'll do some good things."

Henrik Lundqvist will be in goal after Talbot made 22 saves against Montreal.

Who's hot: Kings forward Tyler Toffoli had at least a point in all five games since being called up Nov. 2 before failing to get any Friday. Forward Anze Kopitar has eight points in the past seven games and 14 in the past 12. Forward Justin Williams has 13 in the past 12. … Rangers forward Derek Stepan has nine points in his past nine games. Forward Brad Richards has eight in that time.

Injury report: Kings forward Jarret Stoll (upper body) returned to play Friday for the first time since Nov. 2. Defensemen Matt Greene (undisclosed) and forwards Jeff Carter (broken foot) and Kyle Clifford (head) are out. … Rangers forward Rick Nash (concussion), out since Oct. 8, skated for the eighth straight day and with the team for the third time in as many days. He is aiming to return to the lineup Tuesday or Thursday. Forward Taylor Pyatt (concussion) is on injured reserve.

Los Angeles Kings at New York Rangers - 11/17/2013

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope the boys lay some payback. That Opening Night loss was awful, the Kings looked completely out of synch and NY ran all over them.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope the boys lay some payback. That Opening Night loss was awful, the Kings looked completely out of synch and NY ran all over them.

Agreed, they need to come out better in this game than they did that game

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It will be huge if we can get this win tonight before heading home, Let's get it done boys :suds:

GO KINGS GO!! :yahoo::yahoo:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Los Angeles Projected Lines

Dustin Brown – Anze Kopitar – Justin Williams
Dwight King – Mike Richards – Tyler Toffoli
Daniel Carcillo – Jarret Stoll – Matt Frattin
Tanner Pearson – Linden Vey – Trevor Lewis

Jake Muzzin – Drew Doughty
Robyn Regehr – Slava Voynov
Willie Mitchell – Alec Martinez

Ben Scrivens
Martin Jones

New York Projected Lines

Chris Kreider – Derek Stepan – Mats Zuccarello
Carl Hagelin – Brad Richards – Ryan Callahan
Brian Boyle – Derick Brassard – Derek Dorsett
J.T. Miller – Dominic Moore – Benoit Pouliot

Dan Girardi – Ryan McDonagh
Anton Stralman – Marc Staal
John Moore – Justin Falk

Henrik Lundqvist
Cam Talbot

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go Kings Go!!!

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Both Teams feeling each other out...we need to get some shot's on goal though

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoreless after one period of play - good first period for both teams

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scoreless after one period of play - good first period for both teams

What game were you watching? Getting outshot 11-6 and spending very little time in front of Lundqvist isn't what I'd call a good period for the Kings.

Ox

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What game were you watching? Getting outshot 11-6 and spending very little time in front of Lundqvist isn't what I'd call a good period for the Kings.

Ox

Kings played well early on and the Rangers played well later on in the period, but it was a solid first period for both teams overall - they were feeling each other but both goalies were good, especially Ben

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting matchup here. 2 of the best goalies in the game, 2 biggest cities in America. Good game for the NHL and hockey in general.

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With one exception Doobee. Quick is injured and back in LA. I don't think I'd put Scrivens up in Lundqvist's class yet.

Ox

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Very interesting matchup here. 2 of the best goalies in the game, 2 biggest cities in America. Good game for the NHL and hockey in general.

The way Ben Scrivens has played lately, that might be true :)

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kings played well early on and the Rangers played well later on in the period, but it was a solid first period for both teams overall - they were feeling each other but both goalies were good, especially Ben

Yeah for the first couple of minutes the Kings played well. After that it was pretty much all Rangers and Scrivens. The only feeling out the Rangers were doing was how could they beat Scrivens. He's the only reason this game is still scoreless. But that's my opinion and not that of a hockey expert.

Ox

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah for the first couple of minutes the Kings played well. After that it was pretty much all Rangers and Scrivens. The only feeling out the Rangers were doing was how could they beat Scrivens. He's the only reason this game is still scoreless. But that's my opinion and not that of a hockey expert.

Ox

:agree:

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Top Titty!!! 1-0 Kings!!

oxnardkingsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start to the second though. Another goal by Toffoli. How can Lombardi send this kid back to Manchester after the injured players return?

LALakersboy24.7

I am the Lizard King
Hoopla Cash
$ 206.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good start to the second though. Another goal by Toffoli. How can Lombardi send this kid back to Manchester after the injured players return?

These young guys that we have are real special, they make our team more talented & skilled