• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like Kap got a deal

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Even if it is 126 over 7 years. That's just over 18 a year. Seems like a good deal to me. He was going to get paid. Anything South of 20 seems like a win for the 9ers. What was the alternative, play out this year and pay even more next to keep him, or try and replace him with what?

Yeah, I agree. Those who are unhappy with this deal seem to be in denial of what the guy's market value is. I think some have said they would only pay him $8 - $10 million/year, which is totally unrealistic. Also, they seem to fail to see the big picture and what lay ahead if we didn't get this deal done now.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited by a moderator:

NinerSickness

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
@BWilliamsonESPN

Is it really a travesty that Kaepernick is getting $7 more million in guaranteed money than Jay Cutler? #49ers

I'm not the least bit concerned with the guaranteed money. Everyone knows Kaepernick is going to play out the entire contract, so essentially the whole thing is guaranteed.

Although this was plan B for me (plan A was trading him to Houston), this was inevitable. The amount of money seems right. The Niners didn't get a "deal," and Kaepernick didn't get overpaid. So it's a tattoo'd Super Bowl or bust for the next 6 years.

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is Super Bowl or Bust. I agree.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let's see how he does with more then 1 good WR. I would be 1 read too when I have some bum out there as my #2 WR as he did last year. When Crabtree came back, Kap was playing well. Again it's $18 mil a year the same that cutler and romo got, both won't sniff the SB or NFC title game

Agreed. This year he has the best group of reeivers of any team in the league in Crabtree, Davis, Boldin and Johnson. He also has Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde and an offensive line that people here seem to be gaga over so if he can't do it with that crew, he never will.

TobyTyler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2 big game melt down. What are you talking about. What 2 games are u talking. Seattle game where he was our offense or the super bowl where he would of been MVP if we won. Please tell me what 2 games. Seattle i will agree a little because of the Int but still he was the only one doing anything. I blame the play calling.

The two you mentioned. He melted down into complete panic mode at the end of both games. His miserable early performanc in the Super Bowl and his turnover-laden first three quarters in last years NFC Championship game not withstanding.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Agreed. This year he has the best group of reeivers of any team in the league in Crabtree, Davis, Boldin and Johnson. He also has Frank Gore and Carlos Hyde and an offensive line that people here seem to be gaga over so if he can't do it with that crew, he never will.

That's debatable. He's got a great TE and three very good WRs, but it's unclear that he's got an elite WR. Particularly for our team (read: general unwillingness to run three-WR sets), I'd much rather have two great guys than three very good ones. I think there's a strong argument that the Bears, Broncos, Falcons (with a healthy Jones), Lions, and Packers all have better receiving corps.

That said, Kaepernick has one of the strongest offensive casts in the league on paper. He's got to make it that way on the field.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If you can't think of even a single person, then I don't know what threads you have been reading.

Name names bro. I'm dead serious, I don't remember anyone being so extreme as to say that the entire team's failings fall on his shoulders.

You guys keep saying it happened cuz it happened, I'm just asking for proof.

Sick might have said something about Kap being the weak link on our team or something to that effect. I don't think that's totally indefensible given his performance last year on the whole, although there are some other big culprits (WR coach, Roman, sometimes the Oline, sometimes the secondary).

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, the argument seems to be "this was inevitable" or "this is the market." But if the whole damn league wants to jump off a bridge I don't think we should unquestionably follow them. Deep wants consistent 200 yards a game passing. Fuck that. If he's going to get paid this much, it better be a lot closer to 300 yards than 200 yards. If all we want/need is 200 yards, go sign a McCown type and throw the money we save at other positions.

I think Kap is fun to watch and I'm excited about his potential. But if he doesn't improve then this team is sunk. I'm really worried about tying our future to him but so it goes I guess.

bvanthielriceyoung

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
crappy-1.jpg

purguy12

Special Agent
Hoopla Cash
$ 15,044.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The two you mentioned. He melted down into complete panic mode at the end of both games. His miserable early performanc in the Super Bowl and his turnover-laden first three quarters in last years NFC Championship game not withstanding.

Like I said maybe the seattle game but hard to call it a melt down when he was the offense and hard to call it a melt down when he almost made the biggest come back in the history of the NFL. U are reaching bro.

He was clutch against GB(2 games) and a nice game winning drive against Atlanta. Also played well against Car. This out ways his so so game against seattle(by the way P. Manning did far worse) and a super bowl loss where he played great.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Not the best but it's damn good. I would take. Healthy Julio and Roddy or Marshall and Jeffrey

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Name names bro. I'm dead serious, I don't remember anyone being so extreme as to say that the entire team's failings fall on his shoulders.

Sick might have said something about Kap being the weak link on our team or something to that effect. I don't think that's totally indefensible given his performance last year on the whole, although there are some other big culprits (WR coach, Roman, sometimes the Oline, sometimes the secondary).

You are being quite coy about this. I'm not going to bring up names and such. Too many of us got banned or close to it cuz of all the Kap related threads. I'm not opening that can of worms again. If you didn't think anyone was being extreme, then so be it.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyway, the argument seems to be "this was inevitable" or "this is the market." But if the whole damn league wants to jump off a bridge I don't think we should unquestionably follow them. Deep wants consistent 200 yards a game passing. Fuck that. If he's going to get paid this much, it better be a lot closer to 300 yards than 200 yards. If all we want/need is 200 yards, go sign a McCown type and throw the money we save at other positions.

I think Kap is fun to watch and I'm excited about his potential. But if he doesn't improve then this team is sunk. I'm really worried about tying our future to him but so it goes I guess.

Are you forgetting what he does with his legs or what about Seattle DB's saying how hard it is to prepare for Kap because of his arm and legs. If you don't have a bad ass QB in our division your done, Kap is a bad ass

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

I think you can go back to Sick's trade Kap thread to see plenty of doozies in where lines were drawn. I remember Sick's opening posts getting more thumbs up than I have ever seen on this board. As you mentioned there were those that tried to bring a level head to the conversation and bring up other aspects of the loss as to why the 49ers team was sitting at home watching the Super Bowl. But this board went into full on flashback mode to the Alex Smith/ESPN board days after the NFCC game...

Even in this very thread, someone mentioned Kap was the only QB in 49er history to lose a Super Bowl. The comment isn't a huge deal, but the Super Bowl was an incredible team loss from the coaching staff all the way down. But as I mentioned previously, when the team loses it all comes down to Kaepernick in some peoples eye's...

sjballer03

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00

Schematically speaking, it is much tougher for a defense to game plan for Kap than it is for McCown. It's not a matter of plug and chug like you are suggesting. Why are you so focused on yardage? As long as the INTs and fumbles are kept to a minimum, why does it matter how the ball moves? $/passing yard is a horrible way to determine how much a QB should get paid. I wonder if you realize that QB's with lots of passing yards do so because their defense is bad and/or they are often playing from behind. Neither is the case with the Niners.

As to your concerns for retaining talent, this contract doesn't not sink the team. The cap goes up to about $150 mil in 2016. There is plenty of room to work with and make sure other guys get extended.

Last edited by a moderator:

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

EVERYONE knows a team starts with the QB, if ANY QB does bad, the team will struggle. there is no guarantee ANY player plays up to his contract, but that's the system. as much as i was concerned tying him up for so much, did realize we had no choice.

we don't have to repeat all the options now, but we all know the others had 'cons'.

minimum 200 every game is a start, and is reasonable considering the reference point is ten (10) games UNDER. but 251 yards (closer to 300) isn't so far off in the NFL, maybe he does it?

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
EVERYONE knows a team starts with the QB, if ANY QB does bad, the team will struggle. there is no guarantee ANY player plays up to his contract, but that's the system. as much as i was concerned tying him up for so much, did realize we had no choice.

we don't have to repeat all the options now, but we all know the others had 'cons'.

minimum 200 every game is a start, and is reasonable considering the reference point is ten (10) games UNDER. but 251 yards (closer to 300) isn't so far off in the NFL, maybe he does it?

Not to mention you need a stud QB in our division and when cutler and romo are getting about the same money then it'd a good deal because Kap is better then both