• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like Kap got a deal

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Brilliant. Maybe the new standard on how qb contracts are written.

I doubt it. Did you see what the estimates are of what it is going to take to sign Luck and Wilson? If true, gonna be a big chunk of change.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Dude's got off the field money as well. Anyone have an idea on his endorsement cash flow?

3, 2, 1........and cue Pozz.

In January, Bob Dorfman (Baker Street Advertising in San Francisco) estimated he's made between 1-3 million in endorsements so far.

tomikcon1971

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In January, Bob Dorfman (Baker Street Advertising in San Francisco) estimated he's made between 1-3 million in endorsements so far.

Death, taxes, and Pozz.....the only guarantees in life.

:)

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know its been talked about for days now but I love the confidence and team player Kap is to bet on himself each year. Basically saying I will prove my worth on the field and if I don't then you can cut me and pay me nothing but the $13 mil signing bonus. Not to mention gives our FO some wiggle room to re-sign players like Crabs or Iupati and Boone. When you got people like VD sitting out pouting like a school girl, nice to see our FRANCHISE QB and our LEADER act the part, despite what some on here thought about him going into this extension.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. Misread. Thought Patterson was asking what the estimates were, not commenting on them.

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oops. Misread. Thought Patterson was asking what the estimates were, not commenting on them.

LOL, thats ok. You saved me the trouble of posting a link. Funny bec some Seahawk fans were saying Wilson isn't about the money as if they talk to him personally and Kaepernick is all about the money. The article really doesn't prove anything, just speculation. But we will see what happens when the time comes.

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
LOL, thats ok. You saved me the trouble of posting a link. Funny bec some Seahawk fans were saying Wilson isn't about the money as if they talk to him personally and Kaepernick is all about the money. The article really doesn't prove anything, just speculation. But we will see what happens when the time comes.

It's hard to imagine Wilson signing a friendlier deal for the team. Curious to see what he gets. Hawks fans are 100% sold on Wilson. Very interested to see how he progresses as a QB, and what he seeks in a deal. I'd love to see him bleed them dry.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The full Kaepernick contract details | ProFootballTalk

Some of the highlights if you're one of those people that won't read an entire article:

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

---------------

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

----------

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

--------------

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

-----------------

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

I was saying let's wait to see the full contract, but I'm still surprised at how team friendly it actually is. Those pro bowl/super bowl de-escalators are a big one. As is the fact that the guarantees are only for injury. If he earns the full amount of the contract, he will certainly have earned it.

He has to make All-Pro, not Pro Bowl:
"Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro."

It's hard to imagine Wilson signing a friendlier deal for the team. Curious to see what he gets. Hawks fans are 100% sold on Wilson. Very interested to see how he progresses as a QB, and what he seeks in a deal. I'd love to see him bleed them dry.

Making sense of the Kaepernick ?de-escalators? | ProFootballTalk

The rest of the official NFLPA breakdown meshes with our initial report regarding the terms of the deal. While Kaepernick is getting plenty of money, it’s still a team-friendly deal that any team with a young franchise quarterback should be willing to give right now, since it provides the team with maximum flexibility at rates that soon will be well below the top of the market, and that commits the player for seven full years.

BoBlake

Hoopla Cash
$ 937.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some of his contract will be viewed as "backpay" for the Superbowl championship that they won last year. It will make his contract more expensive, but it will be worth it to the fans.

yossarian

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope Kaepernick reads ESPN and sees this:

What Tom Brady works on with Tom House - NFL Nation Blog - ESPN

He could really stand to benefit by forging a similar relationship.

Agreed, regarding Wilson and his contract, two morons on the sports radio here in Seattle were crowing after Kaepernick's contract because they thought it was so team friendly it was going to cause problems down the road with the team and Kaepernick. That's how unobjective some of the media here are; before the contract they were talking about how Kaep was going to demand the house and impede the team's ability to keep the team intact, then when Kaep specifically said he was gambling on himself and taking less so the team could get together they were saying it was bad for the 49ers because Kaep was going to wind up unhappy. So matter what the situation it always comes up roses for the Seahawks in Seahawk land.

supreme_clientele81

Supreme Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Pattersonca65

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed, regarding Wilson and his contract, two morons on the sports radio here in Seattle were crowing after Kaepernick's contract because they thought it was so team friendly it was going to cause problems down the road with the team and Kaepernick. That's how unobjective some of the media here are; before the contract they were talking about how Kaep was going to demand the house and impede the team's ability to keep the team intact, then when Kaep specifically said he was gambling on himself and taking less so the team could get together they were saying it was bad for the 49ers because Kaep was going to wind up unhappy. So matter what the situation it always comes up roses for the Seahawks in Seahawk land.

That is typical. I remember when the 49ers were winning SBs, everything was always rosy after a SB win. Look out though if things don't go as well. You will here the opposite sky is falling overreaction. The bar has been set really high now and so are the expectations

Last edited by a moderator:

DoobieKeebler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

While maybe I don't go so far as agreeing with the sentiments of those "Pump Up The Volume" wannabes up there in Mushroom-ville, I do think Kaepernick is gonna come to the front office in 4 years and say "See, guys? I'm actually pretty good. What'd you say about giving me a raise?"