• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like Kap got a deal

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm sure it's not intended this way but it sounds like a backhanded compliment.

[MEDIA=twitter]474307874688999424[/MEDIA]

Kap is a class act. He knows Alex was a big help.

Everyone knows I am an Alex Smith fan, but it was the way Kaepernick handled the QB switch with class and my belief that he would be respectful like this that made it easy to embrace him beyond just being a Niner and his play on the field.

One might say it is easy to be classy when you are the starter, but I remember Troy Smith pounding his chest and taking the Bye Week off after one start and I was wanting to wait out his stay. Not root against him or for injury of for any other team, but rather just wait for him to be gone. He shouldn't hang his head or anything, it just seemed to much. I know Kaepernick will be here a long time, but if he weren't I would not be waiting for him to go.

I like having someone to root for for beyond football reasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He can be cocky at times but I believe being a QB in this league And the 49ers one to boot you need to be a little bit. Love the way Kap goes about the game and how hard he works at it, a true leader

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a pretty good deal and I think now he will come into this next season more determined than he has ever been before. Time will tell, go niners!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Yes, and the abysmal 4th down offsides, let's half assed rush the qb and half assed defend the td pass play.

And let's let Baldwin get behind the double-coverage of both our safeties when Wilson is running around in the backfield. Those three plays and the return (on which I felt there was pretty blatant holding on Dahl) were the only lapses for the D, but they were huge.

ChrisPozz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The full Kaepernick contract details | ProFootballTalk

Some of the highlights if you're one of those people that won't read an entire article:

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

---------------

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

----------

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

--------------

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

-----------------

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

Last edited by a moderator:

SeattleNinersFan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Breaking news from Matt Barrows:

"Insiders with knowledge of the situation are reporting that in response to the San Francisco 49ers inking 4th year QB Colin Kaepernick to a 6 year $126 million extension that will keep him with the team through 2020, website #SportsHoopla has inked longtime Niners board member TobyTyler to a 6 year $0 extension where he will continue to be the chief voice of complaints about Colin Kaepernick's hats, headphones, and "wannabe thug" attitude off the field, pending Toby's ability to keep an internet connection in his household.

With the team trending up recently, Niner faithful really needed someone who can rain on the team's parade and take credit for having already predicted anything that goes wrong during the Niners 2014 season. A rival NFC executive was quoted as saying, "This is a good pickup, in my opinion, due to Toby's veteran experience and mastery of the famous "wet blanket" system."

:drum:

Fucking awesome!

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

-AC-

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1

As one source put it, Kaepernick can feel good about the deal because he has a lot more guaranteed money today than he had yesterday. But the same source also added that the 49ers are nevertheless “thrilled” with the contract, which allows them to control Kaepernick’s rights for seven years and to move on after any of the next six seasons, if they ultimately decide that Kaepernick is more like the guy who struggled at times during the 2013 regular season and less like the guy who found the gas pedal in the playoffs.

If they keep him, the average payout will be low in comparison to other franchise quarterbacks, and the difference will become glaring as other franchise quarterbacks get new deals under a salary cap that is expected to continue to spike.

Baalke working his magic...

shouldakepowens

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Some of the highlights if you're one of those people that won't read an entire article:

For 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, and part of 2018, the base salaries are guaranteed only for injury. On April 1 of each year, the guarantees convert from injury only to fully guaranteed. That gives the 49ers the ability to decide, in any given year, to move on from Kaepernick. And with the deadline for the conversion of the guarantee coming on April 1, the 49ers can squat on his rights until several weeks after the start of free agency, making it harder for him to get paid elsewhere.

---------------

In each year from 2015 through 2020, however, there’s a catch. A big one. The total payout potentially de-escalates by $2 million per year, with up to $12 million potentially going away.

Kaepernick can halt the de-escalation by taking, in any year of the deal, 80 percent of the snaps and if: (1) the 49ers appear in the Super Bowl; or (2) Kaepernick is named a first-team or second-team All-Pro. If he satisfies the requirement in 2014, the full $12 million remains. If he fails in 2014 but succeeds in 2015, $10 million stays. If he does it for the first time in 2016, $8 million remains. If he does it for the first time in 2017, $6 million stays — and so on until 2019, when if he satisfies the requirement that year for the first time $2 million stays in the deal for 2010.

It’s a convoluted way to pump up the base value of the deal artificially, allowing Kaepernick and his agents to claim that the deal is better than it will be, unless he satisfies the requirements to stop the de-escalator this year.

----------

The contract also includes, starting in 2015, a whopping $2 million per year in per-game roster bonuses, an amount that one source characterized as “massive” in comparison to similar deals. It means that, for every game Kaepernick misses due to injury after the 2014 season, he loses $125,000.

--------------

The contract also requires Kaepernick to purchase, with after-tax dollars, a disability policy that pays the 49ers $20 million if he suffers a career-ending injury.

-----------------

I can never think of the guys name Marthe? But i never worry about out contacts anymore.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is the PERFECT realistic contract. While the lowest you can without losing him (or confusing the locker room with your belief in him) is the goal, no one was getting the 12-16 numbers or lower. Those who say it's too much commitment, it's not. Man, this is a great deal.

MHSL82

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.92
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz, I was curious that if he were to have a career ending injury, would all of those "guaranteed only for injury" years be guaranteed (on each April 1) or just the first? I'm guessing all? Knock on wood.

whysies

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I never dreamed the deal would be that team friendly. I take back any fears I had, that has all been alleviated. This front office is amazing.

Can't help but think Kap really screwed himself by signing this deal. Or maybe he really does love the team and wants to prove he's worth the contract.

Love it.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a very good contract for SF. They basically have cap locked up on a year-to-year deal through 2020 at or below market value. At any point between 2015 & 2020, they can cut him & only take a cap hit on the signing bonus.

Davis_Mike

You can never have too many knives.
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pozz, I was curious that if he were to have a career ending injury, would all of those "guaranteed only for injury" years be guaranteed (on each April 1) or just the first? I'm guessing all? Knock on wood.

Yes. But I think insurance pays a large portion of that. At least I think they do. And it also hits the salary cap as well.

clyde_carbon

Unfkwthble
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Man, I miss the good old days when people use to bitch about the Yorks being so damn cheap.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is a good deal for us and a good deal for Kap, he still got $13mil in a signing bonus, and as long as he stays healthy and productive he will get majority of that $60 mil. The 49ers just covered their ass and said if he doesn't take 80% of the snaps or misses a game he will lose $125,000 each game he misses. But he will def get that $400,000 in the workout bonuses. Like I said when the deal was 1st signed, our FO is the best in the NFL and KAP showed he is more of a team player then some thought. CK is also banking on himself staying healthy and being named to some All Pro teams and taking this team to the SB. Because he will get more of that $ if we get to the SB each year. I love the deal for both sides, now lets sign Crabs to a smaller but similar deal.

Badger8843

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Love this part from ESPN: He will turn 27 in November. He has just 29 career starts. He is still learning the game. He is not in his prime yet. The reality is, quarterbacks get paid in the NFL. Believe me, every NFL team wants to have to pay its quarterback big. If not, it means the team doesn't have its answer at the position. If a quarterback is good, he is going to get paid. Kaepernick has reached that point.

If you don’t think Kaepernick has arrived, please think again. He is 21-8 in his NFL starts and has already won three road playoff games. He has been to the NFC Championship Game two times as a starter -- and to the Super Bowl.

CalamityX11

49ersDevilsYanksNets
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Far from Kap related, I don't like how these QBs gets paid like won 5 SBs... but that is the NFL and the price of keeping a QB.

Back to Niners, its done, I'm a bit shocked its that high but what can you do. He's locked in and maybe he'll ask for a new contract by next june since that's the new Niners way lol....

lets get a ring!

Crimsoncrew

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
I was saying let's wait to see the full contract, but I'm still surprised at how team friendly it actually is. Those pro bowl/super bowl de-escalators are a big one. As is the fact that the guarantees are only for injury. If he earns the full amount of the contract, he will certainly have earned it.