• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like GM DiPoto it is.....

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with everything that NW and others have said about trepidation with Dipoto or any GM this incompetent organization chooses to hire.

I'm not on cloud 9 or anything. I just don't think Dipoto is the type of guy who would come here unless he got word from Howie and Mather that they'd stay out of all things baseball related, open the coffers to him as much as reasonably needed, and give him broad hiring and firing powers at all levels without having to okay every decision with them.

If they lied to him, I hope he walks away after a year.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors say we are interested in dusty baker.
Is that a joke/troll job? I hope so. That rumor has been around or almost as long as th Mariners have. Baker is ancient and he ruins young arms because he hs an old school mentality about pitch counts and pitcher development. His hit list is a long and impressive one with Kerry Wood and Mark Prior at the top.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Interesting to hear him discuss the stadium as a factor to team success. I don't think I ever hears Z say the stadium was anything more than a place to play.

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am far from excited about this hiring... 5 years from now, we'll still be complaining about the same things, imo...

I won't get excited unless they build this team for small ball and pitching...

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny hearing the Baker rumor because he was the first name to pop n my mind when Dipoto was hired. Not sure why, but he is a name manager so I thought of him. Do I want him? No. He is a pitcher killer. If I had to pick a guy I want that is available, I would say...not really sure right now who I would want. Maybe Dave Martinez from Cubs or some up and coming type like him. Maddon loves the guy and I am a Maddon fan so I trust him on this.

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am far from excited about this hiring... 5 years from now, we'll still be complaining about the same things, imo...

I won't get excited unless they build this team for small ball and pitching...

Did you hear the part about Dipoto being an analytical guy who factors the stadium into his decision making, and that he's worried about the strikeout rate throughout the system and sees the pitching staff as the piece to build first?

Basically it sounds like he's all for "small ball and pitching."

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I won't get excited unless they fire howard lincoln and lloyd mcclendon...

I fixed that for you.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto could have a tough time with Lloyd McClendon, whom one Mariners person described as even more old-school than Mike Scioscia, and Heyman hears that former Rangers bench coach/Angels front office assistant Tim Bogar could get a look.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"At the end of the day, when the young players enter your system, they have to know what you're trying to achieve categorically in every way," Dipoto said. "Whether it's running the bases, it's a hitting approach in the batter's box, it's how you're going to approach throwing strikes, it's how you teach them to use the analysis that you're providing."

"You want the player to behave in such a way when he's 18, 19 and 20, that when he gets to the major leagues and he's in his 26-, 28-year-old seasons, that he knows what Red Sox baseball is about. We will do the same thing here. They will know what Mariners baseball is about," he said.

"I know that of all the things that we will do, that begins now. That requires a quick change," he said. "That's going to be philosophically the area that is probably most disruptive to the people that have been with the Mariners in the past, but that will happen quickly."

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Dipoto says he is not planning a full-scale rebuild, and therefore is not looking to trade core players like Kyle Seager, Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz or Felix Hernandez. “The greater likelihood is, we’ll focus on those four guys, and Taijuan Walker, as the core we’re trying to build around,” says Dipoto. “And we’ll have to be more creative in finding ways to augment that group, rather than using that group to build a new program.”
  • Dipoto hasn’t yet seen rookie shortstop Ketel Marte play live much, but he sounds open to the possibility that Marte could play the position full-time.
  • The GM reiterates that re-signing Hisashi Iwakuma will be a priority, as was previously reported this week.
  • Dipoto says he would be happy with Tom Wilhelmsen as the Mariners’ closer next year, but adds that another possibility is that he could also acquire another reliever to close and use Wilhelmsen as a setup man.
  • Dipoto praises hitting coach Edgar Martinez but has not yet committed to Martinez remaining in that position 2016.
  • The GM is aware that the Mariners could get a protected top-ten pick in next year’s draft if they do poorly this weekend, but he says he hasn’t discussed that topic with manager Lloyd McClendon. “It’s something that as a team-planner, an organization builder, I’m aware of the value that’s associated with that,” Dipoto says. “But as a former player, and understanding how it works out there, I try to turn the volume down in my head. Because these guys have to go out and compete.”

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Hisashi Iwakuma looked at yesterday’s start as a normal appearance, writes Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune. Iwakuma, a free agent after the season, says he prefers to remain in Seattle, but he is seeking a multi-year deal. Mariners officials would also like to re-sign him, calling it a priority. Iwakuma had another solid season despite making just 20 starts. He posted a 3.54 ERA with 7.70 K/9 and 1.46 BB/9.
  • Newly installed Mariners GM Jerry Dipoto has a busy offseason ahead of him, writes Dutton. The club’s farm system has failed to produce a top talent in recent seasons. For that reason (and others), industry insiders expect Dipoto to lure Angels assistant GM Scott Servais away L.A. Dipoto also has to make a quick decision about manager Lloyd McClendon and build depth. Lengthening the rotation is a stated goal so an extension for Iwakuma appears likely.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Per CBS

. Mariners

New GM Dipoto correctly praised manager Lloyd McClendon as a great person, and said he will use the next several days to evaluate the manager. But it would shock folks if McClendon is retained. As one Mariners person put, "If he thinks Mike Scioscia is old-school, that is nothing compared to Lloyd." McClendon is in position where he'd have to listen (unlike Scioscia), but unless Dipoto doesn't have the right guy available, it seems like a long shot. Word is, Tim Bogar could be near the top of a potential list. Dipoto hired Bogar for an Angels post after Bogar was passed over in Texas. He's seen as new school, solid and tough. Joe McEwing and Alex Cora, who are both terrific, also are seen as possibilities. Bud Black would seem to be a guy who's adapted nicely to the new school, but one of Black's best friends in baseball is Mike Scioscia.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More from CBS

Seattle Mariners News
With the Mariners making clear that they favored a candidate with GM experience, once the final threesome of ex-Angels GM Jerry Dipoto, the Yankees' Eppler and Blue Jays exec Dana Brown was set, it was pretty clear the job was Dipoto's to lose since he not only was a successful GM in LA/Anaheim but also had been interim GM in Arizona. The one issue Mariners people had to deal with, according to sources, was Dipoto's decision to quit the Angels GM job, but that was said to be a small hurdle as most around baseball understand the job between Scioscia and Arte Moreno isn't the easiest one around. While Brown didn't get the job, he was said to have made a very favorable impression ... Dipoto mentioned his interest in having an athletic outfield in big Safeco Field, and that makes sense, but it also raises the question of whether Mark Trumbo (who Dipoto traded when in LAA) could be on the move again. Trumbo could also move to first base, his best position ... After his brutal first half, Robinson Cano wound up having close to his typical season. He became the sixth second baseman ever to post six 20-homer seasons, and he did this one at Safeco. Cano, who is hobbled, has a .332 average and .928 OPS in the second half after a terrible first half.