• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Looks like GM DiPoto it is.....

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he signs Ichiro in the off season, then we know who is still calling the shots.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i wouldn't say I'm ecstatic but I like hiring. Then again knowing the organization I don't think there was a guy out there that would have made me ecstatic. If they were gonna go with experience I definitely preferred Dipoto over guys like Towers, Williams, Odowd, etc.

Agree that Lincoln is the wild card. He is getting up there in age so like Chuckles he could walk away soon. Or be hard headed enough to stay as long as he can.

I guess the first question is Lloyd. Does he get retained?? I tend to lean no. Given the Scosicia situation I figure Dipoto would want to pick his own guy.

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I have found in my 37 years of watching baseball is that unproven, which he still is, will take any GM job offered to stay relevant in the game.

He was hired by one of the biggest market teams in the majors almost immediately after quitting mid-season with another big market team. That's how respected he is in the baseball world. The M's have one of the biggest jokes of a front office and ownership group in MLB. 14 years without a playoff berth, and they're the constant. I doubt anybody would blame him for walking away from the M's after a year if Howie and Mather don't give him the support he needs to do a true rebuild, and then stay out of his way.

I'm still surprised Dipoto didn't set his sights on a higher position than GM for a bigger club, or even go for a position with MLB.

johnfree63

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think there's a good chance Dipoto might keep McClendon.

1. You only get to hire so many managers as a GM. Keeping McClendon prolongs your tenure.
2. McClendon isn't in the same position as Scocia. He'll have to listen to Dipoto or he'll be the one axed.
3. Players for whatever reason seem to like him

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
McClendon's status:
Kind of tough to bring in a new GM and then expect him to spend his first six weeks looking for a new manager when there is so much else that needs to be done. If he is planning on firing Lloyd, then I hope he is a major, major multi-tasker. If he fires lloyd and then his new hire doesn't work out and is let go after a couple years, then DiPoto will have gone through two managers in his first two years. For these two reasons, I think Lloyd gets another year here even though he may not be a philisophical match with DiPoto.

DiPoto's immediate impact:
Don't expect it to happen over night. Ketel Marte was the last of the available immediate help in the farm system. There won't be much else of use comping up from the farm for a while. Meanwhile, the impact FAs position players available this winter don't look very promising so I wouldn't expect any help there either. There are plenty of good pitchers availabe and that is always nice to have, but we have had good pitching in the past and it didn't get us to the promised land.

And by the time DiPoto has a chance to build up a solid nucleas, the big guns (Cruz, Cano, Hernandez) will be past their prime. Dipoto has inherited a steaming pile of manure. I think we are going to have to be patient for awhile (again, for the 13th consecutive year) or go bandwagon some other team for a couple years.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple more things on why I like the move.

1. The Angels had one of the worst farm system in the league prior to Dipoto coming in. In 3-4 years they have vastly improved, while still not top 10 it's improvement. The M's are in the same situation.

2. Let's be clear that Pujols and Hamilton were not a Dipoto move, they were strictly Arte Moreno and the ownership.

Given the circumstances, time will tell.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Couple more things on why I like the move.

1. The Angels had one of the worst farm system in the league prior to Dipoto coming in. In 3-4 years they have vastly improved, while still not top 10 it's improvement. The M's are in the same situation.

2. Let's be clear that Pujols and Hamilton were not a Dipoto move, they were strictly Arte Moreno and the ownership.

Given the circumstances, time will tell.

DiPoto had his share of bad contracts too - Joe Blanton, Tommy Hansen, along with striking out on getting Zach Grienke re-signed.

And he signed both CJ Wilson and re-signed Jered Weaver. Both of those contracts have produced mixed results. Whether the signings are ultimately thought of as winners will depend alot on what they get out of those pitchers in 2016, the last year each of them are signed. To date they have averaged a combined 27-17 rrecord per year while earning $32.5 million per year, with Weaver's numbers being slightly better than Wilson but also earning more money. Weaver tops out at 84mph these days so I think we know what the final verdict will be on his contract. CJ Wilson looks pretty used up too but I will reserve judgement until I see what he has left next year.

Maybe, if Dipoto doesn't sign one of these guys Arte may have ultimately been more willing to out-bid the Dodgers for Grienke.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll preface this with I didn't hear the whole conference just clips of a little bit Lincoln said...he's a tool. A.Trying to come off like a good guy because he doesn't give himself a bonus when they don't have a winning season. B. Encourages him to keep Lloyd but will stand behind him if he fires Lloyd. WTF has Lloyd done to get the backing of management? Lloyd cost the Mariners the second wildcard last year and the team tanked this year, Lincoln and Mather makes it sound as though Bobby Cox is the manager and deserves the respect of going out on his own terms.

phredmojo

Steak is for Taxpayers
Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll preface this with I didn't hear the whole conference just clips of a little bit Lincoln said...he's a tool. A.Trying to come off like a good guy because he doesn't give himself a bonus when they don't have a winning season. B. Encourages him to keep Lloyd but will stand behind him if he fires Lloyd. WTF has Lloyd done to get the backing of management? Lloyd cost the Mariners the second wildcard last year and the team tanked this year, Lincoln and Mather makes it sound as though Bobby Cox is the manager and deserves the respect of going out on his own terms.

because for liberal soccer mom selfie fans, diversity and fitting in is all that matters. not baseball and certainly not winning.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reactions To And Effects Of Mariners’ Hiring Of Jerry Dipoto
By Steve Adams [September 29, 2015 at 11:06pm CDT]
Jerry Dipoto was officially named the ninth general manager in Mariners history today, and the former D-Backs/Angels GM addressed the media in a press conference at Safeco Field (some video highlights via MLB.com and 710 ESPN).

A few of the more meaningful quotes from the presser as well as some reactions to Seattle’s decision…

• Bob Dutton of the Tacoma News Tribune breaks down Dipoto’s timeline for his initial wave of priorities. Dipoto wouldn’t commit one way or another in regard to manager Lloyd McClendon’s future but said the two planned to take the time to get to know each other in the coming weeks. “I wouldn’t say bringing in my own guy is critically important,” said Dipoto when asked about McClendon’s job status. “To have someone that I believe in, that I trust, who trusts me and believe in what I’m doing, is terrifically important.” Of course, his relationship with a manager probably holds extra importance to Dipoto, whose resignation with the Angels reportedly stemmed largely from issues with manager Mike Scioscia.
  • Regarding possible front office changes (also via Dutton), Dipoto said he did expect new recruits from outside the organization to come join him in Seattle. However, he also had positive things to say about many of the existing baseball ops staffers. “I’m also 100 percent sure that many of the people you see here today are going to be key figures as we move forward,” said Dipoto.
  • Team president Kevin Mather said the Mariners began with a list of about 40 candidates that was pared down to 10 — six of whom were interviewed. According to Dutton, the finalists for the position were Dipoto, Yankees assistant GM Billy Eppler and Jeff Kingston, the Mariners’ assistant GM who had been serving as GM on an interim basis since the firing of Jack Zduriencik.
  • Dipoto spoke highly of the foundation of the current Mariners — Felix Hernandez, Robinson Cano, Nelson Cruz, Kyle Seager as well as up-and-coming talent like Brad Miller, Ketel Marte, Chris Taylor and Mike Zunino — and he offered a particularly glowing review of another well-regarded young player. “…And a guy I think has the chance to shoot the moon in Taijuan Walker,” said Dipoto.
  • Ryan Divish of the Seattle Times hears a bit differently when it comes to the team’s finalists, writing that it was Blue Jays special assistant Dana Brown who was the third finalist, not Kingston. Divish also talks about the frank assessment of the organization that Dipoto gave Mather in the interview, noting that Dipoto mentioned a lack of depth on the 25- and 40-man rosters, minimal athleticism throughout the organization and defense that doesn’t line up with the team’s spacious home park.
  • Divish also provides a transcript of a Q&A with Mariners CEO Howard Lincoln, who notably said that the team’s payroll won’t be going down from its current $130MM mark in spite of the losing season. Lincoln said ownership will provide Dipoto with as many resources as possible, and he added that, as he’s done in previous seasons, he’s taken a personal “financial hit” as a result. Asked specifically if that meant he’s cutting his own annual salary, Lincoln replied, “I’m taking a significant financial hit and have in the past when we’ve had losing seasons. When we’ve had winning seasons, that’s the opposite.” He also added that he has no plans to retire in the near future, and he’d like to have a World Series trip or at least some playoff seasons behind him before he does.
  • As 710 ESPN’s Shannon Drayer writes, Dipoto expressed that pitching may be a bigger need for the Mariners than offense, which he admitted is strange given the previous narrative surrounding the team. Dipoto did state that it’s “critical” to lengthen the bottom of the lineup, but he offered high praise for Miller and Seth Smith, specifically, when discussing some of the perhaps unheralded assets in the team’s present lineup.
  • “Dipoto exudes passion and oozes competence,” writes Larry Stone of the Seattle Times, “and his likability factor is off the charts.” However, Stone remains somehwhat skeptical, noting that predecessors Bill Bavasi and Jack Zduriencik have promised change and come up short in that regard. Stone notes that Dipoto’s transparency into his strong belief in both scouting and analytics was encouraging, as was the new GM’s candid admission that he was “a little disheartened” by seeing the lofty strikeout rates throughout the minor league system. “You’ve got a lot of guys striking out a lot,” said Dipoto. “Now, it’s a lot of very talented players with a lot of upside potential to tap into. That’s only going to happen if we can somehow develop more contact. I think that’s important. That’s going to be Step No. 1.” Though he came away impressed, Stone notes that “winning” the press conference is far easier than turning around a struggling organization.
  • Red Sox president of baseball operations Dave Dombrowski had hoped to be able to retain Dipoto, he told WEEI.com’s Rob Bradford. However, Dombrowski characterized the chances of keeping Dipoto as a “long shot” once he began interviewing with the Mariners, seemingly offering high praise and respect for the veteran executive’s front office acumen. As Bradford writes, Dipoto’s time with the Sox was limited, but it left a mark. “His basic task was to review our personnel in the organization and then report on them, which he did,” Dombrowski explained. “He did a great job, had a very thorough assessment of our talent, and gave me the information. He also, when he was around, contributed to other ways in talking about general baseball.” Also of importance, Dombrowski said, was the ability to receive internal assessments from pre-existing Red Sox baseball operations members as well as what was essentially an external review of the talent from a well-respected peer.

Cloud

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I heard from Dipoto today, sound like a very baseball oriented person. He was said to be given full autonomy but time will tell.

Also, I'm confident now that Lloyd will be gone as he said he wants to hire the "best manager." -- I don't think he sees that in McClendon.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what I heard from Dipoto today, sound like a very baseball oriented person. He was said to be given full autonomy but time will tell.

Also, I'm confident now that Lloyd will be gone as he said he wants to hire the "best manager." -- I don't think he sees that in McClendon.
I like what I heard from him too, however I am not surprised that he said the right things or that he comes across as likable, I am more interested to see what he actually does.

In regards to McClendon I think he is gone, I think he should be gone, although I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if he stayed on for another season. From the little time we have heard from Dipoto it doesn't seem their styles match up.

Tapey

Hooplas biggest Cardinals homer.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors say we are interested in dusty baker.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing the organization needs is to cut ties with yes men and not fire them or force them to quit because they give a different opinion like Jack did. There is no such thing as perfect and every person hired from the organization should have a voice no matter how small that voice may be. A GM doesn't see everything throughout the organization so he needs guys in the farm system who tell the truth not just say yes Jack this guy you drafted is ready for the big leagues now instead of saying no you retard he hasn't even got a full years worth of AB's in thr minors.

Mariners_44

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumors say we are interested in dusty baker.
I wanted Dusty the year he went to Chicago, but instead we got Bob Melvin. Not sure what he could do now, but can't get much worse.