• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lol, Lyerla, coke head.... "UO offered me car and house"

WizardHawk

Release the Kraken - Fuck the Canucks
Hoopla Cash
$ 8,800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The late night drank explanations by Mamba are among my favorite parts of any such story as this.

:suds:

I mean that's restaurant quality right there.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The late night drank explanations by Mamba are among my favorite parts of any such story as this.

:suds:

I mean that's restaurant quality right there.

:humble:

I wish Eugene was a bigger city. And I am not trying to rustle or demean UW.

But universities in huge cities probably are able to hide questionable bennys easier.

You know what I mean? In Eugene the Ducks are it. Backup kickers are recognized for ffs

In Seattle you have Hawks, Mariners, Macklemore and his crew, lots of AA's with money.

Players could get away with more I would think. Not accusing y'all, just thinking with fingers.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In Tuscaloosa I imagine that dude in the Hum V or whatever it was would stick out like a sore thumb.

In Atlanta, not so much...

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt Lyerla isn't a credible source and he should be ashamed of himself coming out with allegations like this without any evidence.

That being said, I don't doubt it happened. It happens at every major college football program in some form or another, including UW.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Colt Lyerla isn't a credible source and he should be ashamed of himself coming out with allegations like this without any evidence.

That being said, I don't doubt it happened. It happens at every major college football program in some form or another, including UW.

Leave it to the lawyer to say what took me 18 posts 500 words each to sum up my stance in two sentences.

I am the one ashamed... :burt:

Last edited by a moderator:

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still root for the kid.

It is tragic.

He not only isn't credible, but also takes no accountability.

He needs to own his actions and become a man.

Dads, this is what can happen if you don't raise your kids the right way, or in Colts case just not GAF about his son.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ meant as a compliment to be clear SF234

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To be good and or healthy you do it because everyone else is..
I know that I am an idealist sicko. So be it. but I still beleive that college athletics can be about college students participating in extracurricular activities. (Absurd when so much money is involved - I get that.)

But the real problem with these programs buying up young talent is the lack of will to make sure the leave with something in hand. Some would say that the players should be paid for their play. I'm not in that camp. I believe that the players should have their feet held to the academic fire and should be educated. Education is the deliverable these institutions deliver best.

So great. You bring these kids in to play for the honor of your school and to entertain a bunch of drunken bastards like us. And then when the kids are of no further use, you kick them to the curb and say, "Thanks for playing." Some make it to the next level, but most do not and never had a chance to, the kids deserve to walk out with something to show for it all.

When pay them, you reduce them to the level of whores. You get your jollies out of watching them play, and the pay ends when your jollies end. But if you give them an education, the hope is at least, that they have something lasting that can enrich their lives well beyond playing football. I'm in the camp that this is what the goals of these programs should be.

So when you see a story like this kid (who is obviously a self-entitled idiot and mental zero) you have to wonder - are we enabling this sort of thing? Where does our culpability end?

And I know - a lot of people will read a diatribe like this and say, "Oh he's just some holier-than-thou douche" and to an extent be correct. After all, I love this game just as much as the next guy - and more even than most. But goddamnit - I hate to see programs just chew people up and spit them out because winning is so important. Or because we have to make more money off of their exploits than the next guy.

Personally, I like the narrative about recruits making a forty year decisions rather than a four year one. I don't beleive that one school is inherently better than another academically or makes that 40 year decision better. But I do believe that schools owe it to the kids they recruit, to make sure they are doing things right and getting their educations. And that is the saddest part of these sorts of situations - that the welfares of the kids are lost to the important of glorifying or protecting the institution. And that is just not okay by me.

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't say this to give the kid a pass, btw. An adult has to take ownership of his or her life, no matter how tough (or easy) she or he has had it. I firmly believe that. But - i believe that college football (or basketball or whatever) needs to do a better job of holding young men and women accountable, and empowering them with the meaningful deliverables that college can give them.

LucklessPadresFan

Creedence Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't say this to give the kid a pass, btw. An adult has to take ownership of his or her life, no matter how tough (or easy) she or he has had it. I firmly believe that. But - i believe that college football (or basketball or whatever) needs to do a better job of holding young men and women accountable, and empowering them with the meaningful deliverables that college can give them.

Call me naive, but I would think a free ride at a top university with a chance at a pro career would be an empowering incentive to keep your sheeet together.

yeodonie

Small Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Colt have a Chrysler 300?

Story says he and his Mom lived on $600 a month. I'm no math jenieyus but me thinks that doesn't add up

Time for another investigation.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know that I am an idealist sicko. So be it. but I still beleive that college athletics can be about college students participating in extracurricular activities. (Absurd when so much money is involved - I get that.)

But the real problem with these programs buying up young talent is the lack of will to make sure the leave with something in hand. Some would say that the players should be paid for their play. I'm not in that camp. I believe that the players should have their feet held to the academic fire and should be educated. Education is the deliverable these institutions deliver best.

So great. You bring these kids in to play for the honor of your school and to entertain a bunch of drunken bastards like us. And then when the kids are of no further use, you kick them to the curb and say, "Thanks for playing." Some make it to the next level, but most do not and never had a chance to, the kids deserve to walk out with something to show for it all.

When pay them, you reduce them to the level of whores. You get your jollies out of watching them play, and the pay ends when your jollies end. But if you give them an education, the hope is at least, that they have something lasting that can enrich their lives well beyond playing football. I'm in the camp that this is what the goals of these programs should be.

So when you see a story like this kid (who is obviously a self-entitled idiot and mental zero) you have to wonder - are we enabling this sort of thing? Where does our culpability end?

And I know - a lot of people will read a diatribe like this and say, "Oh he's just some holier-than-thou douche" and to an extent be correct. After all, I love this game just as much as the next guy - and more even than most. But goddamnit - I hate to see programs just chew people up and spit them out because winning is so important. Or because we have to make more money off of their exploits than the next guy.

Personally, I like the narrative about recruits making a forty year decisions rather than a four year one. I don't beleive that one school is inherently better than another academically or makes that 40 year decision better. But I do believe that schools owe it to the kids they recruit, to make sure they are doing things right and getting their educations. And that is the saddest part of these sorts of situations - that the welfares of the kids are lost to the important of glorifying or protecting the institution. And that is just not okay by me.

This post is full of bullshit and myths.

Programs are not buying players in the manner you think on any regular basis. Maybe a few select players at best could warrant anyone wanting to pay them to come to schools. Most of what goes on really falls under the label of "hook ups". Why is that? Because it's not going to be anything that really drives a recruit to a certain school over other factors. So a recruit comes to town and someone slips the a bit of cash to have a good time. It's a hookup and I'm sure it doesn't hurt, but it's not going to be the reason a recruit chooses a school.

If that kind of stuff is what was attracting the recruits, then the top schools that make the best revenue wouldn't be spending millions and millions of dollars trying to build the most attractive facilities, bringing in the best staff available and all the other benefits the school can provide legitmately. You think Saban recruits so well because the recruits get paid on the side? He recruits so well because kids know he is a great coach, that he runs a successful program and that they will be taught and get every opportunity to grow and be successful. And it's the same across all the top programs across the country from Texas to Oklahoma to Oregon. They all have their strengths and weaknesses, but it's that and not some booster given a kid some cash that brings them to a university.

Most of the time I think the boosters who do that kind of stuff do it for themselves. So they can pretend as many of you do that they are the ones who made whatever happen. But really, it's the legitimate things that brings kids to schools.

You say you love this game, and yet at the same time just up and accept every bit of trash people throw around without putting in very much real thought. Does it happen? Sure. But trying to make that it's the norm really only cheapens the great opportunities that do exist and the real things schools have to offer. It's such bullshit and 90% of the time just fan driven hate because they don't want to admit that just maybe another program is doing better than theirs.

--------Kids getting dumped....

Again this is more bullshit that you have blindly accepted or don't give a crap about enough to follow further. It's extremely rare that any kid is actually being screwed over by anyone. For starters, it's a free scholarship and opportunity to begin with. But once kids get to a school the vast majority of them actually graduate with a college degree. Kids who end up hurt and can't continue their careers are given medical scholarships and they leave with a college degree.

Some kids are more focused on football and if they get passed on the depth chart they transfer to another school. Too which people like to scream "oversigning, oversigning" for the number of people replaced and it's supposed to be bad. Guess what? It's not. The turnover actually gives more kids the opportunities those kids had. Another kid is able to come in and take a spot. The kids who decide to transfer still get their education as well. Furthermore, such things much like a free market, reward those who do best and work at improving, while the kids that cause problems and don't do what they need end up gone. Even the practice of grey shirting people complain about is up to the kid themselves, nobody forces them to do it. They choose to because they believe the opportunity is the best for them.

Is it about the kids and screwing the kids over? Fuck no. It's about the coaches/fan of other schools getting pissed off because the other teams out recruited them, and they see that over signed kid as someone who might would have ended up with them. Basically butt hurt because another school got more talent.

----enabling this?

The only people enabling this crap are people like you who constantly blame the system and say the system is so bad without really knowing and leading these kids to think dumb things. But even then - no not really.

Look they are teens and young people. They are going to screw up. They are going to blame everyone else, and all that other crap regardless of football. If anything, I'd wager a bet that football actually has the opposite effect on them overall although I have not researched that. But I know in the military the majority of people who are serving are in that same age bracket, and the amount of trouble and bad decisions are way more common than you see in football programs.

This false perception is really just confirmation bias. These things get highlighted and gives the false perception that it happens more often than it does, without relation to the actual number of kids in each program. There are over 10,000 kids on scholarship at just FBS schools, and yet the list of problems is actually pretty low in ratio. If a single school with approx. 85 scholarship kids had 4 incidents in a year, it's generally heavy, and yet that is less than 5% of the total players just for that team.

Sorry, the kid fucked up and it's no fault but his own. He was not given less opportunity to succeed, he was given more opportunity than anyone in society could really ever ask for and he blew it.

TLDR: Try thinking about the things you believe to be true before accepting them.

4down20

Quit checking me out.
Hoopla Cash
$ 394.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didn't Colt have a Chrysler 300?

Story says he and his Mom lived on $600 a month. I'm no math jenieyus but me thinks that doesn't add up

Time for another investigation.

It is not hard for any player to qualify for financial aid and buy their own car.

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

Since his mom lives on such a low number, it means he is eligible for grants. The school can also provide him with housing allowance, to which his mom could live with him if needed.

On top of that he can also get student loans for more money.

People need to quit thinking a new car is some big deal for players, it's not. It's just another myth people blindly accept.

socaljim242

Phantom Marine
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gotta chuckle a little with the "he has no credibility thing". If he was honorable he wouldn't have been in so much trouble and the people who do this ( shady boosters)would have never thought he could be bought. You don't get snitches from the ranks of the goody two shoes. Not saying this is all true but tha'ts a weak argument. I imagine many players get offered things and some take the $100 $200 and go have some fun . To be honest I don't care much about that . But then you have your Reggies who just got greedy and that can't happen.

TexasExes98

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is not hard for any player to qualify for financial aid and buy their own car.

Football Players Receive $17,000 Annually in Cash, all within NCAA Rules « HolyTurf

Since his mom lives on such a low number, it means he is eligible for grants. The school can also provide him with housing allowance, to which his mom could live with him if needed.

On top of that he can also get student loans for more money.

People need to quit thinking a new car is some big deal for players, it's not. It's just another myth people blindly accept.

You and I rarely agree on anything, but we both agree on this issue. I even did my own research on this article and it's all there for the taking for any athlete who qualifies. $17K a year in cash. Not sure why they don't take advantage of this more often. I do know it's a shit load of paperwork for the parents, but who cares?

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Call me naive, but I would think a free ride at a top university with a chance at a pro career would be an empowering incentive to keep your sheeet together.
I agree completely - the kid pissed away an amazing opportunity at getting a college education and he deserved to be cut loose due to his choices and his actions. But, as should be clear, the kid didn't see the opportunity before him as a chance to get a college education - he saw the chance to get a house and a car. That's where the enabling comes in.

ckhokie

Supporting Member Level 69
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Another. Do you believe this doesn't go on at VT?

$500 handshakes post game? No doubt. Offering houses and cars? I'd be shurprised. I don't think our donor base is anything comparable to Bama or Oregon.

Who knows? I could be wrong. At least there isn't smoke constantly circling around VT. The same can't be said about Bama or Oregon, which is why these allegations don't come as much of a shock to me or seem out of line.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm inclined to agree with 4d20. :faint:

Seriously though, it's basically about what is "preventable" vs. "what is not preventable". It's also about a schools "due diligence".

A school can be as diligent as they want in making sure that their players aren't taking any improper benefits, but short of turning the facilities into a prison and never letting them out in public, there is no way to prevent certain things from happening.

If someone wants to hand a kid a couple of hundred dollars in a handshake or some business restaurant owner wants to give a player a nice dinner and only charge him for the soda, there isn't much a program can do about it. Like 4d20, I don't really have a problem with this as long as schools aren't using it as a recruiting tool.

If some booster wants to give the kids family something off campus. Again, not much a school can do about it.

The only thing a school can really do is make sure no one directly related to their program is offering or giving anything extra to a kid and honestly and openly investigate any allegations.