• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

lol, Lyerla, coke head.... "UO offered me car and house"

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay - I know what you mean, but I disagree. There is a difference between students and faculty/coaches/administrators. But I am uncomfortable with a definition of "School" that excludes the students as part of the definition. Thus, if students are taking stuff, then the school is involved because the students are part of the school.

I'm not naive enough to believe that these $100 handshakes are happening everywhere. In fact, SB Nation published a very interesting story on the subject over the summer entitles "Mee the Bagman". And perhaps I am too polyanna-ish in my wish that the practice would stop. But I also believe that this is exactly the kind of action that makes athletes feel that they are not answerable to rules (or laws) and thus enables some really bad behavior.

In principle, I agree 100%. I also think schools should be doing everything they can to prevent/stop the practice. However, the fact is, it's impossible to stop. I read that Bagman article when it first came out, found it very interesting and whether it's 100% factual or not, it shows how difficult it is for the schools to catch.

Part of the problem, imo, is some of the rules themselves.

I've posted this before. Not sure if you've seen it.

Petros Papadakis is a former USC tailback and team captain. His father, John Papadakis (a former USC linebacker), used to own a Greek restaurant called Papadakis Taverna. It became a favorite hangout of USC players. Because of the connection to the program, USC compliance checked it out and checked with the NCAA on potential violations.

What was determined by USC compliance based on what the NCAA said was that it was fine for the players to eat there as long as they paid the same price for their meals as any other customer. Petros could eat free because it was his families restaurant. Seems easy right?

According to Petros though, there were actually still potential violations. What was apparently unclear was that if Petros ordered an appetizer that he wanted to share with the table (pretty common occurrence in most restaurants) was it a violation since he wasn't being charged? According to Petros, "you literally had guys sitting at the table and trying to determine if eating a chicken wing was an NCAA violation or not".

I agree that we can't have the wild wild west happening, but I also think the NCAA needs to take a good long look at their compliance rules and even more important, how they choose to enforce those rules.

WhiteMamba

John: 8:36
Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agree. Worried about him. I really hope he finds the answer he needs soon. What a waste.

C'mon Colt. Rooting for you to find what is important in life.

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It is over for him. NFL doesn't want this crap. No college degree....

A love of the "g life" and a taste for dangerous drugs.

*praying

WhiteMamba

Hoopla Cash
$ 61.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wow.

Trying to get drug money for interview. Talking to the columnist/radio host Canzano high as he was arrested shortly after requesting 1st $5,000, then saying now it will cost $10k but will settle for $7,500.

Sheesh Colt is a ticking time bomb.

Canzano: Colt Lyerla story turns sad; hours before arrest, he tried to cut a deal for an interview | OregonLive.com

nddulac

Doh! mer
Hoopla Cash
$ 47,787.30
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
However, the fact is, it's impossible to stop.
Agreed. To me what is telling about a program is twofold: how much effort they put into prevention, and how they respond when a problem is exposed. But as you say, placing responsibility for the health of a program into the hands of kids who may or may not feel any responsibility - or for that matter even know what that word means - means that there will be problems.

Part of the problem, imo, is some of the rules themselves.
Similar situation faced by USC when Matt Leinart's father paid for Matt's apartment, which he shared with another player who was staying rent-free. In my opinion, that was treated as it should have been - identified and corrected.

But enough of the Kumbaya "we agree" fest.

My feeling on what inspired this thread remains unchanged. Oregon can not afford to ignore the allegations of Lyerla, label him as a malcontent and hope it all blows over. They have too much at stake to not take a serious look. They need to not merely look with the intent of minimizing the damage either - they have to actually look and deal with it. I figure that irrespective of the veracity of the accusations, the booster will be identified and ostracized, albeit perhaps not publicly. If not, we'll be hearing about this sort of thing again soon - either because kids are being offered things they shouldn't be, or because kid believe they can have their "Jerry Springer" moment by falsely pointing a finger.

trojanfan12

R.I.P. Robotic Dreams. Fight On!
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,709.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed. To me what is telling about a program is twofold: how much effort they put into prevention, and how they respond when a problem is exposed. But as you say, placing responsibility for the health of a program into the hands of kids who may or may not feel any responsibility - or for that matter even know what that word means - means that there will be problems.

Similar situation faced by USC when Matt Leinart's father paid for Matt's apartment, which he shared with another player who was staying rent-free. In my opinion, that was treated as it should have been - identified and corrected.

But enough of the Kumbaya "we agree" fest.

My feeling on what inspired this thread remains unchanged. Oregon can not afford to ignore the allegations of Lyerla, label him as a malcontent and hope it all blows over. They have too much at stake to not take a serious look. They need to not merely look with the intent of minimizing the damage either - they have to actually look and deal with it. I figure that irrespective of the veracity of the accusations, the booster will be identified and ostracized, albeit perhaps not publicly. If not, we'll be hearing about this sort of thing again soon - either because kids are being offered things they shouldn't be, or because kid believe they can have their "Jerry Springer" moment by falsely pointing a finger.

I agree 100% that Oregon needs to take a look (sorry about continuing the "Kumbaya" lol). Every accusation that is made against a program needs to be taken seriously until it's proven that it's false.

It's been said that part of the reason USC was hammered so hard was because Mike Garrett's attitude towards the NCAA gave the appearance that USC didn't take compliance seriously. That alone should be a lesson to other schools that even accusations that are most likely made up crap, need to be taken seriously.

FSUmanager

FeartheSpear
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just wow.

Trying to get drug money for interview. Talking to the columnist/radio host Canzano high as he was arrested shortly after requesting 1st $5,000, then saying now it will cost $10k but will settle for $7,500.

Sheesh Colt is a ticking time bomb.

Canzano: Colt Lyerla story turns sad; hours before arrest, he tried to cut a deal for an interview | OregonLive.com

Read the article. Seems to me he is fubar and beyond help. The young man had it made and his piss poor decisions have lead him to where he is. No amount of olive branches and well wishes will help someone who is not willing to help themselves. Seems like he does not want to help himself.