• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lionstop speaks: Off-season prediction pt 1

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB Melvin Gordon Junior 6' 5/8" 207 lbs. Scout's Inc. Grade 90

Production...3...2011: (3/0)  Rushing  20-98-4.9-1 Receiving: N/A 2012: (14/4)  Rushing  62-621-10.0-3 Receiving  2-65-32.5-1 2013: (13/4)  Rushing  206-1,609-7.8-12 Receiving  1-10-10.0-0 Career KORs: 8-174-21.7-0

Height-Weight-Speed...1...On taller and leaner side but built well with good size potential and above average top-end speed.

Durability...2...Missed most of the 2011 season with a groin injury and granted a medical redshirt.

Intangibles...2...Father.. is Melvin Gordon. Team-oriented player that loves game and committed to getting better. Served as teacher's assistant in high school and volunteered serving food at a homeless shelter. Coached youth football. Majoring in life science communication. Academic All Big 10 in 2012.

1 = Exceptional.....2 = Above average.....3 = Average.....4 = Below average.....5 = Marginal

Competitiveness...2..Fearless runner that doesn't gear down or brace for contact. Plays with emotion and swagger. Willing to step up and take on bigger defenders in pass pro. Ball security is an issue at times. Doesn't always carry ball high and tight. Can extend it away from frame trying to make defenders in space.

Vision/Patience...2...Anticipation isn't outstanding and misses occasional seam, but that is an exception and not the norm. Quickly locates seams between tackles. Reads second level and has good feel for cutback lanes. Above average patience following lead blockers and makes right cut based on their body position.

Agility/Acceleration...1...Violent jump cuts. Can press inside then bounce outside. Can make defender miss in hole and make first defender miss in space. Loses too much momentum at times though and doesn't string together ankle breaking moves on same play. Homerun hitter that reaches considerable top-end speed quickly. A threat to go the distance every time he touches the ball.

Power/Balance...3...Explosive enough to run through contact when defenders fail to wrap up. Builds so much momentum that he falls forward at the end of runs. Can lower shoulder and finish. Runs with a narrow base, makes it too easy to cut legs out from under him. High-cut runner that has problems keeping feet under him and can stumble or lose balance.

Passing Game...4...Potential to make substantial strides with more opportunities, but limited production up to this point is obvious concern. Big-play threat after catch. Burst to quickly separate from man.. Reportedly put in extra work running routes and catching balls in spring 2014. Not for lack of effort, but developing pass blocker with plenty of room for improvement in terms of awareness and technique. Doesn't sink well and gives too much ground.

1 = Exceptional.....2 = Above average.....3 = Average.....4 = Below average.....5 = Marginal

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
RB Tevin Coleman Junior 6' 0" 210 lbs. Scount's Inc., Grade 84

Production.....2012: (12/2) Rushing: 51-225-4.4-1¬Receiving: 10-49-4.9-0 2013: (9/9)  Rushing: 131-958-7.3-12¬Receiving: 19-193-10.2-0 2014: (12/12)  Rushing: 270-2,036-7.5-15¬Receiving: 25-141-5.6-0 Career: KORs  30-124-690-23.0-1

Height-Weight-Speed...1...Prototypical height with adequate bulk and very good top-end speed.

Durability...3...Missed final three games of the 2013 season with an ankle injury. Played in every game but missed final 20 minutes of the first half against Missouri game with cramps in 2014.

Intangibles...1...Son of Wister and Adlevia Coleman, who are both from Liberia. Religious. Born three months early and doctors told family he had a 20 percent chance of living. Parents nicknamed him the Rock. Humble and quick to credit others for success. Coaches love him. Stays in touch with pee-wee and high school coaches. General studies major.

Competitiveness...2...Runs hard and doesn't shy away from contact along sidelines. Willing to sacrifice body in pass pro and shows adequate aggressiveness. Ball security can improve but not a red flag. Always carries ball in left hand and ball tends to drift away from body in space.

Vision/Patience...2...Above-average vision. Will miss an occasional crease but more exception than rule. Doesn't leave many yards on the field. Patiently sets up blocks. Recognizes and exploits cutback lanes. Gets shoulders turned upfield as soon as he hits crease. Outstanding blend of patience and aggressiveness on perimeter runs. Knows when he has the angle. Also knows when to hesitate and let pursuing linebackers blow past.

Agility/Acceleration...2...Above-average burst to and through the hole. Home-run threat who can turn on jets and run away from pursuit when he hits daylight. Slippery, shifty runner. Doesn't take a lot of clean shots and can make defenders miss in small spaces, but he's not an ankle-breaker in the open field.

Power/Balance...3...Rarely tackled for loss thanks in large part to burst. Runs through and out of would-be arm tackles. Consistently lowers shoulder and flashes ability to deliver solid initial blow on contact. Consistently falls forward at the end of runs. Above-average balance and tough to knock off course when gets hit high. However, he is high-cut and runs high when he isn't taking on defenders in a phone booth, so defenders can cut his legs out from under him. Doesn't have the powerbase to carry defenders for many extra yards.

Passing Game..3...Does a good job of extending and catching away from frame without breaking stride, but hands are a little inconsistent. Doesn't run sophisticated routes but has the quickness to separate and does an adequate job of improvising when quarterback gets flushed out of the pocket. Greater threat after the catch than statistics suggest. Good awareness in pass pro. Flashes ability to shoot hands inside and deliver a strong punch. Still has plenty of room to improve from a technique standpoint. Sets high and can give too much ground. Doesn't always shuffle and stay square. Can do better job of attacking thigh pad as a cut-blocker.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kiper's Top 10 RB's

Running backs

1. *Melvin Gordon III, Wisconsin
2. *Todd Gurley, Georgia
3. *Tevin Coleman, Indiana
4. *Duke Johnson, Miami (Fla.)
5. Ameer Abdullah, Nebraska
6. *T.J. Yeldon, Alabama
7. Jeremy Langford, Michigan St.
8. David Cobb, Minnesota
9. *Javorius "Buck" Allen, USC
10. *Matt Jones, Florida
The only change in the top five is I now have Johnson ahead of Abdullah. While Abdullah performed well enough at the Senior Bowl in Mobile, Alabama, I think ball security issues are going to dog him into the draft. The addition to this group who wasn't here before is Cobb, who also had a good Senior Bowl week. A crucial question is whether Gurley will have a chance to work out for teams as he works his way back from the ACL tear.

Kiper's #11 ranked overall---------RB Melvin Gordon
Analysis: I'm just glad he's healthy after a senior year with a ton of carries. Gordon is an easy accelerator, and he cuts with explosiveness and little wasted motion. He will miss a hole here and there in search of a bigger lane, but he has good vision, isn't afraid of contact between the tackles or on the edge and has breakaway speed when he gets in space. I think he breaks the two-year streak of no running backs being taken in the first round. Video highlights
video.png
... Previous Ranked #9

McShay's #15 ranked overall-------RB Melvin Gordon
Analysis: Gordon has very good patience and vision. He did a great job this season of waiting for creases to open and then exploding through them with great acceleration off his plant foot. He also has good lateral agility to make defenders miss in small creases, and he has good, but not elite, top-end speed (he isn't a Jamaal Charles-level burner). He has shown improvement in the passing game. Video highlights
video.png
......Previous Ranked #15

McShay's #23 Ranked overall-----------RB Todd Gurley..... 6'0 230 lbs
Analysis: Gurley's torn ACL will have an impact on his draft stock, and the progress he shows in his recovery and how he checks out with the medical staffs of the NFL teams will be determining factors in where he gets drafted. But there's still a chance a team drafting at the end of the first round could take him. He's a risk from a durability standpoint, but he's a rare talent who could become an exceptional back at the next level -- a hard, downhill runner who complements his tremendous power with breakaway speed..... Previous Ranked #27........2014 Stats.....911 yds....7.4.YPC.....9..tds

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See, I think Gordon is the top back by a small margin. Coleman will really have to impress teams to take that spot. For Detroit, I think they would (unfortunately) want Gurley the most out of the group. He has that size, power, speed combo I think Caldwell would want.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If not fo the injury, I think Gurley is no doubt the best of the group, imo...

Naughtymax

Internet MMA God
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion

let me put it this way, should the Lions re-sign/extend Suh, then sign C Rodney Hudson or maybe Denver's LG Orlando Franklin.... I wouldn't be upset 1 bit should the Lions draft

1st rd.. #23 DT Malcom Brown
2nd rd. #54 CB Kevin Johnson or Quinten Rollins or Marcus Peters (latter was kicked off U-Was but he has mega talent and some of the best technique while in coverage and a hammer vs the run)
3rd rd. #88 RB David Johnson

My preference at #23 is still RB Tevin Coleman so long as the Lions sign C Rodney Hudson...

If Peters is available at 54 pull the trigger. Same with DHB at WR among top-10-talent, bottom-10-character guys.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
putting the best players at there best spots on the line

While I can live with a RB I have decided that we have the cart ahead of the horse here, pun intended. RB is a bad pick if we can't open some big holes for him.

Thinking about L'al Collins as possibly my guy this year. Easy kick inside to G or RT. More important is the possible versatility it offers us to find the best guys at the best spots. Same theory as my wanting Zach Miller last year.

Still would love to see Hudson in a Lions jersey to go with the pick of Collins. RB is deep thus year and guys like Demarco Murray and where he was selected we be plentiful

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Max, you do realize that there were allegations towards Dorial Green-Beckham as having over a pound of Ganja in the trunk of a vehicle he was riding in (I can't recall if the vehicle was owed by him). He also got away with another possession of cheech a year earlier or so. He also sat out this past year as an on field player at Oklahoma after transferring from Missouri.

The only reason I'm bringing this up is due to previous occurrences by LeShoure, Fairley, OL Culbreath and yet during last years draft FSU OLB/SS Tevin Smith was right there, in the 4h rd., for us to draft and the Lions passed on him. Maybe WCF Jr. has given Mayhew, the no-go on players who are known to hit a blunt. IDK

I did notice your comment regarding bottom 10 character :nod:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's a great pick, Dr.Evil-er, La'el Collins.... Collins started out his Sophomore year as a LG the switched to LT for his Junior/Senior seasons...

and Collins has started to drop in some rankings... but it's way too early yet.

I'm also going to add into this equation that Stanford's OT Andres Peat should be another kid who possibly drops also. He has the athletic build for LT but the kid really needs to hone his technique for the NFL level LT and should have gone back to school for another year. He should be another college LT who belongs inside for now

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if anyone on our board is interested in a particular player that has a current draft profile listed in espn insider, I will gladly post it.

If you'd rather not have draft profiles from "Scout's Inc. insider" posted, like the ones regarding Gordon and Coleman, I'll refrain from doing such.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doesn't Green-Beckham remind anyone of a skinnier Mike Williams out of USC?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BTW, if anyone on our board is interested in a particular player that has a current draft profile listed in espn insider, I will gladly post it.

If you'd rather not have draft profiles from "Scout's Inc. insider" posted, like the ones regarding Gordon and Coleman, I'll refrain from doing such.

How about Trae Waynes from Michigan State? That guy looks pretty beastly.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CB Trae Waynes Junior 6' 1" 182 lbs. Scout's Inc., Grade

Kiper's #22 Ranked overall
Analysis: What Waynes lacks in size and strength, he makes up for with his easy movement and ability to cover in space. I had dropped him some because he had an inconsistent stretch, but when he was at his best, he was simply shutting people down. He has good length and can really cover, and now he simply needs to get stronger and be more physical in run support. Video highlights
video.png
... previous ranked #21

McShay's #20 Ranked overall
Analysis: Waynes has good length and speed for the cornerback position, and is at his best in a press-man or Cover 2 role. He has above-average field awareness and can track the ball well and maintain good position in coverage. He's also willing to come up in run support and is a sure open-field tackler.... previous ranked #26

Cornerbacks

1. *Trae Waynes, Michigan St.
2. *Marcus Peters, Washington
3. *Jalen Collins, LSU
3. Kevin Johnson, Wake Forest
5. *P.J. Williams, Florida St.
6. **Jacoby Glenn, Central Florida
7. Kevin White, TCU
8. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu, Oregon
9. Ladarius Gunter, Miami (Fla.)
10. Quinten Rollins, Miami (Ohio)
One player you no longer see here is Will Redmond, who will be returning to Mississippi State. He was certainly among the top five corners in this draft going into the draft process. The biggest riser is Collins, who has a ton of talent. Most now know that Peters was booted from the team at Washington, and that will obviously be something he'll have to address during the interview phase. As for the seniors, Kevin White had a great week in Mobile and boosted his profile.

Trae Waynes
Production...3...2011: Redshirt 2012: (9/0)  5 tackles2013: (14/14)  50-5-3

Height-Weight-Speed...2...Look to have above-average height and length but could continue to add bulk to frame. Estimated top-end speed is also slightly above-average.

Durability...3...Had a lingering shoulder injury heading into his senior year of high school. Then suffered a season ending broken fibula and ankle, and tore three ligaments in his knee during his senior year in high school. This forced Waynes to redshirt during his true freshman year. However, he has remained durable throughout his first three seasons.

Intangibles...2...Comes from a two parent supportive home. Both parents were former collegiate track stars. High school teammates and very close friends with Wisconsin RB Melvin Gordon. Highly competitive kid. Respectful and accountable. Strong work ethic.

Instincts/Recognition...2...Above-average field awareness. Shows strong eyes in zone coverage. Locates and marks targets well. Flashes ability to come off of primary assignment to make a play on the ball. Average anticipation and route recognition skills in man coverage. Quick diagnose and react against the run.

Cover Skills...3...Above-average fluidity and balance with movement skills. Makes an easy flip to turn and run with receiver downfield. Possesses good size, long speed and overall range. At his best in a press man or cover-2 role. Good mirror skills in trail technique. Has some tightness in ankles with transition out of breaks. Average short-area closing burst. Will have issues with smaller and quicker receivers in man coverage.

Ball Skills...2...Attacks the ball and has above-average size and length to contend. Tracks the ball well. Shows ability to turn, locate and play the ball in trail position. Does a nice job of jockeying and maintaining quality positioning in one-on-one downfield battles. Above-average hand eye coordination. Average playmaking instincts. Not a threat to create with the ball in his hand.

Run Support...2...Aggressive and willing to set the edge in this area. Is physical. Can continue to develop strength when shedding blocks. Will be a split second late discarding and finishing tackles at times. Also can clean up angles in pursuit. Very good overall tackler. Enters contact with quality leverage. Effective attacking the lower body and lassoing runners at the legs. Breaks down well to secure tackles in the open field.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I can live with a RB I have decided that we have the cart ahead of the horse here, pun intended. RB is a bad pick if we can't open some big holes for him.

Thinking about L'al Collins as possibly my guy this year. Easy kick inside to G or RT. More important is the possible versatility it offers us to find the best guys at the best spots. Same theory as my wanting Zach Miller last year.

Still would love to see Hudson in a Lions jersey to go with the pick of Collins. RB is deep thus year and guys like Demarco Murray and where he was selected we be plentiful

:yahoo:

Collins would be a very logical pick. Can play LG or RT, depending on our needs. Sign Hudson, put either him or Swanson at some combination of LG/Center, and Collins at RT. Let Waddle be the swing tackle...

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm going to weigh in here on the La'el Collins topic.

I've watched this kid an awful lot (I'm not a pro-scout so my thoughts are purely subjective). I'd much rather see Collins slide inside to LG than over to RT, reasons... 1) He has the physical traits of a OT but I see more Gosder Cherilous in him to a small degree. Collins has good footwork, punch, technique, vision but I truly believe he could have some problems with speed rushers from the outside as a Pro-OT. Where I think he could possibly excel at (maybe in 2-3 yrs at LG and possibly All-Pro/Pro-Bowl level) would be inside, covered up, at the LG position. I do not feel that way towards him at either OT spot, however, in a pinch he should be more than adequate to fill either OT as a shuffle-injury spot play (for however many games). He is a straight-up mauling, nasty disposition on-field, run blocking O-Lineman who does possess pretty decent pass-pro skills.

If this kid, Collins, were to be drafted and considering Waddle/Lucas are more suitable at RT, from a Physical Trait aspect (tP talked about this previously), I honestly believe you utilize the personnel properly by inserting Collins at LG (obviously he has to win that starting position). Waddle was struggling with injuries even in camp and I think that had an affect on his training and game day starts. Lucas just finished his 1st yr as a pro. What I would like to see from the staff this year is prep P.S. OL Mike Williams as a OT and to get a lot of reps at LG (Williams playing LG might be a more adequate position for him but yet still learning OT position also, he is 6'6" but only 306 and he only bench pressed 225 lbs. 11 times at his workout). IDK, thoughts ?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
this board might want to think about designating any posts regarding specific positions, i.e., DT, DE, OT, OG/OC, RB, WR-TE, CB, LB's, S as there own individual thread so as to not get them mixed up. It would be much easier to pull up an analysis (cbs, espn insider, nfl.com) when they're all in their respective groups.

just a suggestion

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Go ahead and do it Blue.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Give me whatever position is ranked the highest come the 23rd pick. If a RB is rated higher than a blocker, I'll take the RB. I take said player and build around that and not take one position over the other just because its presumed to be needed first.

Give me Suh, Hudson and a damn good RB and Im one happy Lions fan.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1 said:
Give me whatever position is ranked the highest come the 23rd pick. If a RB is rated higher than a blocker, I'll take the RB. I take said player and build around that and not take one position over the other just because its presumed to be needed first.

Give me Suh, Hudson and a damn good RB and Im one happy Lions fan.

:10:......... :agree: 1st and foremost in order.

Suh will solidify that D-Line instantaneously upon new contract. Will still need 2-3 other DT's.

Lionstop1, your selection of FA C Hudson, IMO, could be the 2nd most beneficial FA signing and especially a huge upgrade to this O-Line. I'd feel a lot better having Hudson at C than I would Swanson (his 4 yrs of NFL experience alone vs Swanson's 1 game). I'd still look for Swanson to battle it out at LG vs a draft pick or another lower tier level FA. Utilizing Swanson, as he was a 3rd round draft pick, is key (obviously he has to win his right to start, wherever that may be). Swanson played fairly well when called upon to start at RG for those 3-4 games and the 1 game at C.

Give me Suh and Hudson, then should COLEMAN (see Lionstop1, it's pretty easy to designate him) be the BPA (or that guy that played at wisky U) draft him.