• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lionstop speaks: Off-season prediction pt 1

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Am I the only poster on this board who thinks Gordon is considerably better than Coleman?

No. I actually think Gordon may be the top while Coleman is just a little bit behind him. I like everything about these two.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No. I actually think Gordon may be the top while Coleman is just a little bit behind him. I like everything about these two.

It's crazy how much Gordon reminds me of Joquie Bell but with more burst/long speed.

Coleman reminds me of the old running back for the Titans Chris Brown. A talented player but runs to upright.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
By the way,

DT's are looking pretty weak this year. Really hoping we re-sign Suh.

The Danny Shelton train is out of control though. #5 on Daniel Jeremiah's big board. In no way shape or form is that dude on Suh/Mccoy level or is the draft really this weak in 2015?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelton has a non-stop motor. He's relentless in gap plugging, line penetration, shedding/ripping blocks, getting to qb/rb in the backfield. He's not Suh but he's very similar to last years Aaron Donald. I'm pretty sure most everyone on this board, minus that guy who roots for the college bronco's, would have liked to see Donald drafted last year.

and we now have zero 1st rd DT's on this roster.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Guess you are forgetting about Caraun Reid. Dude is smart. That has to count for something.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^

seems as though Caraun Reid was a 2014 5th round draft pick and a Princeton Graduate, we'll now have to upgrade his faux drafting as 3rd round grade. He was _______________________________________
this ___________________________________________________________________________ short of 1st round draft

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shelton has a non-stop motor. He's relentless in gap plugging, line penetration, shedding/ripping blocks, getting to qb/rb in the backfield. He's not Suh but he's very similar to last years Aaron Donald. I'm pretty sure most everyone on this board, minus that guy who roots for the college bronco's, would have liked to see Donald drafted last year.

I have also never seen a DT who makes so many tackles downfield and outside the hash marks. Dude covers a lot of ground. He is a better version of Fairly if you ask me. Lower center of gravity too. Suh plays a different style. What a combo those 2 would make. I would still resign Mosely too. Fairly can hit the road, but I would bring him back for the right price especially if either Suh or Mosely get away.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Shelton plays... kid is straight up monster... and the more I watch of Tex U DT Malcom Brown, the more I like. but not as much as Shelton...

If Suh isn't re-signed, I would seriously consider going after Shelton... but that's just me. There's only 5 DT's in this draft that I think are good... Two that are really good Shelton/Brown....JMO

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I love how Shelton plays... kid is straight up monster... and the more I watch of Tex U DT Malcom Brown, the more I like. but not as much as Shelton...

If Suh isn't re-signed, I would seriously consider going after Shelton... but that's just me. There's only 5 DT's in this draft that I think are good... Two that are really good Shelton/Brown....JMO

Agreed on Brown too. I like him almost as much. Mentioned him in another thread ( or earlier in this one I don't remember) and that I am seeing some mocks that have him going to us at #23.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm seeing him (Brown) drop in prospect rankings and Iowa's Carl Davis moving up, of course Davis' moving up is coincidently due to his Senior Bowl practices/game day performance, the latter not all the great, IMO.

Shelton and Brown, once again, are the only DT's that excite me and seem like a fit as LION for their scheme

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We place a lot of blame on the Lions offensive line for the offenses problems...lack of running game, Stafford's sacks, and general offensive mediocrity.

I would not exempt Bell or Bush either. Bush has durability issues and gas in the tank question mark, while Bell is the classic overachiever. Great effort and really gets the most out of his ability but is a second tier back.

The Lions run game/offense may upgrade by having a good young back that can stretch defenses. IMO Jahvid Best had that ability but an egg shell skull ruined his career. But even Best was a specialty type back and not an every down guy.

In this draft the best all purple back would have been Gurley if he hadn't got himself injured. Coleman actually looks to be a better every down guy than Gordon. Gordon is an inch taller and a few pounds lighter. Honestly most of the top backs look a little light to be a durable every down back, minus Gurley but his injury is a concern.

I would rather wait to see if one of the top 4 backs fall to the Lions in the second round than go for a guy like Coleman or Gordon that may not be durable enough to be an every down guy. That would again include Gurley due to injury.

If the Lions could get Abdullah in the second I would be just as happy. I just don't see a sure all purpose back in the top 5 this year.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion

let me put it this way, should the Lions re-sign/extend Suh, then sign C Rodney Hudson or maybe Denver's LG Orlando Franklin.... I wouldn't be upset 1 bit should the Lions draft

1st rd.. #23 DT Malcom Brown
2nd rd. #54 CB Kevin Johnson or Quinten Rollins or Marcus Peters (latter was kicked off U-Was but he has mega talent and some of the best technique while in coverage and a hammer vs the run)
3rd rd. #88 RB David Johnson

My preference at #23 is still RB Tevin Coleman so long as the Lions sign C Rodney Hudson...

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Bell is an overachiever. Linehan had to pass a million times to get some numbers out of Bush and Bell. IMO, Bell actually lacks most of the qualities of good RBs. He can break tackles but thats about it.

I actually think Gordon, Coleman and Gurley are all all-purpose guys. These guys carried the load for their respective teams.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My preference is Gordon or Coleman in the first and CB Peterson in the second.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Old Lion

let me put it this way, should the Lions re-sign/extend Suh, then sign C Rodney Hudson or maybe Denver's LG Orlando Franklin.... I wouldn't be upset 1 bit should the Lions draft

1st rd.. #23 DT Malcom Brown
2nd rd. #54 CB Kevin Johnson or Quinten Rollins or Marcus Peters (latter was kicked off U-Was but he has mega talent and some of the best technique while in coverage and a hammer vs the run)
3rd rd. #88 RB David Johnson

My preference at #23 is still RB Tevin Coleman so long as the Lions sign C Rodney Hudson...

Exactly what I am hoping for. I will go 1 further with an O-Line and LB in the 4th. I do not really know Peters, but I will take your word for it. Hoping one of the other 2 are there in the 2nd. Rollins seems to be moving up though so might be down to the other 2. Be interesting if we select one of them and the other is still available at 88. Might want to go back to back and then trade up for the RB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marcus Peters, the not so good, then the good

Peter's allegedly choked assistant coach.... had two previous suspensions (couple games 1 time)

Washington Denies Report That Marcus Peters Choked an Assistant Coach | Bleacher Report

UW Huskies call report that Marcus Peters choked coach ?bull****? | CollegeFootballTalk

Marcus Peters, CB, Washington, NFL Draft - CBSSports.com - NFLDraftScout.com

Kiper's take on CB Peters (ranked #24 overall-NR previous top 25)

Analysis: A highly instinctive cover corner, what you see on tape is a player who can "run the route" for the receiver and put himself in position to make plays because he can hang with receivers but also get his head around and locate the ball. Peters is a willing tackler and a competitive guy who doesn't back down against good competition. But he was also a live wire on the sideline last season and ended up booted off the team at Washington. Coachability is obviously a concern.

McShay's take on CB Peter's (ranked #18 overall-previous)

Analysis: Peters was dismissed from the Washington program earlier this season after having been held out of games on more than one occasion for behavioral issues. Obviously, NFL teams are going to want to take a closer look at the reasons for his dismissal. But in terms of his talent, he has prototypical size for the cornerback position to go with above-average top-end speed. He gets into trouble in coverage on occasion because of a lack of proper footwork and technique, but makes up for it with good athleticism and fluidity, and he's effective in press technique because of his physicality.

NFL.com Jeremiah's (ranked #31 overall)

Peters has good size, play speed and ball skills for the cornerback position. He is better in press coverage than when he lines up in off coverage. He flashes a quick two-hand jam to re-route wide receivers, and he has plenty of speed to carry vertical routes. He is fluid when he opens his hips and he maintains leverage. From off coverage, he is a little sticky out of his plant and he is late to key/read patterns. He is a catch tackler in run support. He had some off-field issues at Washington and he was dismissed from the team. Overall, he has starter ability, but there are some questions that need to be answered in the spring.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
1. Eddie Goldman DT (If Suh Leaves)
2. Abdullah RB
3. Grasu C

1.Trae Wayans CB (Suh Signs)
2.Abdullah
3. Grasu C

My thought is Swanson plays center or guard and Grasu starts prepping at center/guard for later in the season or next year and is depth.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Scout's Inc., CB Marcus Peters

Production22011: Redshirt 2012: (13/8)  44-8-3 2013: (13/12)  55-9-5 Career: 5.5 TFL, 1 sack, 1 FF, 1 FR, 1 BK

Height-Weight-Speed....2...Possesses prototypical size for a cornerback prospect. Appears to have an athletic frame on tape with quality muscle tone. Estimated top-end speed is above average

Durability....1....Durability does not appear to be an issue. He has appeared in all 26 games through his first two seasons, with 20 starts.

Intangibles.....3...Grew up in a football family and loves the game. A fiery competitor that is extremely vocal on the field with opponents. Father Michael was a long-time assistant coach at his high school (McClymonds) before recently being named the head coach. Family has close ties with Seattle RB Marshawn Lynch, who grew up in the same town in Oakland, and Marcus considers him a 'cousin.' Suspended for the first quarter of the Fight Hunger Bowl vs. BYU in 2013 for what was described as an academic issue. Still has some maturing to do off the field, but not a malicious individual.

1 = Exceptional.......2 = Above average......3 = Average......4 = Below average........5 = Marginal

Instincts/Recognition....2........Above-average eyes and field presence. Does a nice job of maintaining quality spatial proximity in zone coverage. Flashes the ability to read routes and anticipate breaks. Quick diagnosis stepping up in run support.

Cover Skills....2...Above-average athleticism, balance and fluidity. Does have some tightness in ankles when planting to drive forward on the ball. However, lack of proper footwork and technique is the main culprit when he gets into trouble. Closing burst is more than adequate. Physical and very effective in press technique. Will clutch and grab downfield at times, and will need to make the proper adjustment to NFL rules.

Ball Skills...1...Quality playmaking instincts in this area. Locates the ball and tracks it well. Plays strong in contested situations, and does a nice job of jostling to maintain positioning. Times his leaps well, and shows good body control and hands when playing the ball. Flashes ability to create with the ball in his hands, but not a difference maker.

Run Support...2...Active and willing in this area. Doesn't necessarily throw his body on the line, but will set the edge when necessary. Does a nice job of playing with his eyes when taking on blocks to stay alive in the play. Does a nice job of limiting yards after the catch. Angles can be cleaned up a bit, and he will tackle high on occasion. Constantly looking to strip the ball when given the opportunity.

1 = Exceptional.......2 = Above average......3 = Average........4 = Below average.......5 = Marginal

Last edited by a moderator:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lionstop1 said:
My preference is Gordon or Coleman in the first and CB Peterson in the second.

[quote-Lionstop1] My preference is Coleman in the first and CB Peters (the alleged choker) in the second. [/quote]

:fify:

BB_72.....this is beginning to become a regular occurrence for me of late