• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions OFFICIAL 2015 NFL draft thread.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can almost say with no doubt had they moved up for Jarrett it would have been viewed differently.
Now anyone can say... "Nope not me." I still wouldn't believe some here.

Exactly. Thats because it wouldve been the fan's choice.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clements and his boys haven't seen the playoffs since 2008

100% true statement. One that was not involved in my original post. Only RT.

Oh and by the way. Since many here argue that Mayhew is not attached past history. These guys were not there in 2008 or 09,10,11,12. In any facet of position. Now if you want to say since 2013. Go ahead that has substance.

They did clean house and start over. Let's let this play out and revisit later. All opinions on both our parts here.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Exactly. Thats because it wouldve been the fan's choice.

Ohh LS1 don't get me wrong, I would of been one myself. Let's see what Gabe does first then critique it. I remember thinking getting Fairley was a steal at 13. After seeing what he did... Not so much.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fairley was a steal at 13

All i remember about that picks is Lions fans bitching to high hell because DT wasn't a need and Robert Quinn and Prince Amukamara were on the board both needs and values.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All i remember about that picks is Lions fans bitching to high hell because DT wasn't a need and Robert Quinn and Prince Amukamara were on the board both needs and values.
See how that works? The bitching never ends. Lol

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reckless draft-pick management. It's no wonder there are always so many holes on this team.

Is there a team in the NFL that does not have holes and needs to fill each year. For Petes sake the Pats had huge voids at CB and DT and OL this draft.

Many kept saying DT/CB/OL/RB for the Lions and they got filled this year. I was not huge on the pick of a FB as Zenner just may suite that role. However FB was a need. It just was not done in the manner many felt it should have been done in.

Zenner goes on and becomes a FB/RB for them than it looks wasted. Could you predict Zenner was not going to be drafted?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
See how that works? The bitching never ends. Lol

It wasn't like this when Fontes was running the Team , but he got us to playoffs 4 times won 2 division titles and even got to a NFC title game. Mayhew starts winning and people will stop complaining for the most part...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know. What GM wouldn't give away next year's 3rd round pick to gain a mid-4th this year? I mean, you'd have to be foolish not to!

:L
I went over this exact same thing with Thndr on that pick... basically you don't understand the concept of a big board for every team if you think just because a guy was picked in the 4th that he couldn't have been a 3rd round prospect on most team's boards. All it takes is one guy rated high than him who is available to keep pushing him down. Usually when you see a team trade up like that it means they had the guy rated quite a bit higher and they want to grab him before someone else, who also had him rated higher, takes him first.

It's not nearly (not even close, in fact) as simple and black-and-white as you're trying to make it seem. You're being all sarcastic, and pretty douchey, what with the face-palm and all, but the joke is on you here because you're the one demonstrating the lack of understanding of what's really going on in the draft, imo...

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he understands the concept he just doesn't trust a big board Mayhew put together

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there a team in the NFL that does not have holes and needs to fill each year. For Petes sake the Pats had huge voids at CB and DT and OL this draft.

Many kept saying DT/CB/OL/RB for the Lions and they got filled this year. I was not huge on the pick of a FB as Zenner just may suite that role. However FB was a need. It just was not done in the manner many felt it should have been done in.

Zenner goes on and becomes a FB/RB for them than it looks wasted. Could you predict Zenner was not going to be drafted?
Zenner is not a fullback. I know he was listed as a RB/FB on a few draft sites, but that's just lazy, irresponsible journalism. He's not a FB-type RB. He's dynamic and explosive, and, to be honest, I think the only reason those sites went with the hybrid designation is because he's white, and there's very few (two, that I can think of right now) white RBs in the NFL. There's more FB/RB hybrid types who are white, but very few white pure RBs.

Watch him play a bit and you'll quickly see that he's a runner, not a lead blocker...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he understands the concept he just doesn't trust a big board Mayhew put together
Based on the comment of giving up a 3rd rounder for a "4th round player", it is pretty clear that he doesn't get it. It's easier to try to make everything black-and-white... making sense of the gray area takes far more critical thinking...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's not nearly (not even close, in fact) as simple and black-and-white as you're trying to make it seem.

It's called kicking the can down the road TPaul. Same thing they did with Suh's contract.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zenner is not a fullback. I know he was listed as a RB/FB on a few draft sites, but that's just lazy, irresponsible journalism. He's not a FB-type RB. He's dynamic and explosive, and, to be honest, I think the only reason those sites went with the hybrid designation is because he's white, and there's very few (two, that I can think of right now) white RBs in the NFL. There's more FB/RB hybrid types who are white, but very few white pure RBs.

Watch him play a bit and you'll quickly see that he's a runner, not a lead blocker...

I have watched him play. He can add a ten pounds and he already blocks well. I would prefer him over others because he would give the added wrinkle of not showing just run or pass as other FBs will.
I see FBs in the 5'10"-6' range and average about 240ish. So ten pounds put this kid on the bottom end of their size. Just my opinion him being used hybrid style.

The other thing is Lombardi really did not use mullet boy as a traditional FB last year IMO

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have watched him play. He can add a ten pounds and he already blocks well. I would prefer him over others because he would give the added wrinkle of not showing just run or pass as other FBs will.
I see FBs in the 5'10"-6' range and average about 240ish. So ten pounds put this kid on the bottom end of their size. Just my opinion him being used hybrid style.

The other thing is Lombardi really did not use mullet boy as a traditional FB last year IMO

Would love that with the vision and lead horse ability he showed in college he could turn in to Lorenzo Neal 2.0(top 5 all time favorite player of mine)

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's called kicking the can down the road TPaul. Same thing they did with Suh's contract.
Do tell? It's easy to put catchy labels that sound the part on stuff like this, but what do you mean when you say that its called kicking the can down the road?

How, exactly, is drafting this kid now any different than drafting a different player in the 3rd next year? Wright was in the mix for our pick in the 3rd round, and when he was available still in the 4th they used one of our two 3rd round picks next year to go up and get a guy they had rated as a 3rd round prospect.

What can is being kicked there? You know we get to keep Wright beyond this season, right? It's not like we gave up a draft pick for lesser value, but that seems to be exactly what some of you think because all you see is us trading a 3rd round pick for a 4th round selection...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You must have watched him play a lot more than I did to see him run-blocking then. I didn't see a bit of that, and since run blocking is a FBs primary responsibility, that's kind of important.

We drafted a FB, and have another FB on the roster the staff likes already. To me it doesn't make sense to try to change Zenner into something he isn't and to marginalize what he's best at to move him to a position where we don't have a big need, whereas at his natural position, RB, we do still have a need for depth. I vote we keep the square peg in the square hole, and use the round pegs we already have for the round hole..

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
100% true statement. One that was not involved in my original post. Only RT.

Oh and by the way. Since many here argue that Mayhew is not attached past history. These guys were not there in 2008 or 09,10,11,12. In any facet of position. Now if you want to say since 2013. Go ahead that has substance.

They did clean house and start over. Let's let this play out and revisit later. All opinions on both our parts here.
Well youre bragging about their cap skills. All they did since they took over was dump all their contracts and rebuild(during the new CBA era.) The organization as a whole was in cap hell before. Mayhew was trying to win for us. I give him credit for that. The cap situation was inherited. Signing Staff and Calvin was a must and he did it in market. I like those 2 guys...I don't think he had a choice.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree.

That's why Bell's aboot done in Detroit.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit could have I ne bad ass white dude running the ball for them. Lol

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do tell? It's easy to put catchy labels that sound the part on stuff like this, but what do you mean when you say that its called kicking the can down the road?

How, exactly, is drafting this kid now any different than drafting a different player in the 3rd next year? Wright was in the mix for our pick in the 3rd round, and when he was available still in the 4th they used one of our two 3rd round picks next year to go up and get a guy they had rated as a 3rd round prospect.

What can is being kicked there? You know we get to keep Wright beyond this season, right? It's not like we gave up a draft pick for lesser value, but that seems to be exactly what some of you think because all you see is us trading a 3rd round pick for a 4th round selection...
Would you support trading Gabe for someone drafted in the fifth? Abdullah for a someone in the third?

Imo Mayhew knows he needs to win again this year. Like Schwartz not playing young guys when we're already out of playoff contention. Self preservation kicks in over longterm franchise success. (I get it. I understand. this particular instance doesn't bother me as much as others during Mayhews reign. But it's in my notes.). If you don't win now, someone else will be trying to win later.

It's not just the Lions, it's everywhere, in life in general not just football.