• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions OFFICIAL 2015 NFL draft thread.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know. What GM wouldn't give away next year's 3rd round pick to gain a mid-4th this year? I mean, you'd have to be foolish not to!

:L
But we're already going to have a 3rd round comp pick next year due to losing Suh. Here's more info on our current status of potential picks next year. After reading it, losing that 3rd to trade up into the 4th isn't that bad imo. Research is a wonderful thing.

".....and that's before the compensatory picks have been handed out, where Detroit is expected to strike it big.

Comp picks are handed out based on net losses in unrestricted free agency. The Lions have lost Suh, Nick Fairley, Corey Hilliard, Kellen Davis and Jed Collins, while signing no qualifying unrestricted free agents.

Detroit has consciously avoided signing unrestricted free agents this offseason specifically to enhance its considerations in the comp bidding process. Its biggest acquisitions this offseason have been Ngata, which was a trade, and defensive tackle Tyrunn Walker, who was a restricted free agent. So neither counts against them.

Overthecap.com, which is typically accurate with its comp pick projections, currently has the Lions adding a third-rounder for Suh and a fifth-rounder for Fairley. If that holds, they would have eight picks in the first five rounds of the 2016 draft, and 10 overall.

Comp picks cannot be traded. But knowing they are coming, along with the fifth-rounder acquired from Denver, gives the Lions a lot of ammo to acquire the players they like either in trades or the draft, both this year and the next."

Losing that 3rd next year takes us to 7 picks in the first 5 rounds potentially. Not too shabby.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how many other picks there are. The more the merrier. Especially top-3-round picks. You don't trade a 3rd for a 4th.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed he was there guy possibly all along. Might have pulled the trigger at 23 for him??

So with thinking he was there guy why was moving back and getting depth or a starter and two picks a bad move? Then uses one of those picks to get another need in the third.

This is just my opinion. Very happy it was Laken. I stopped looking at him thinking he was going to be gone in top 5 of second round. So I don't see a reach for him when 10 spots is not a reach. I do view the Wright pick a reach. For where he was taken. Not a reach if he was the guy they wanted. With hindsight available now, trading back up for Jarrett or Bennett was also a reach after it unfolded.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unlikely.

You guys that are into bashing every move Mayhew makes would be doing the exact same thing with all of Belichick's picks, Super Bowl wins notwithstanding. You're just wired to think you know better, even though you (we) don't have 1/10th of the tools, information, or access to properly analyze these players that NFL teams have...

I don't bash every move he makes. He is decent in free agency. His drafting is similar to Millen's

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can almost say with no doubt had they moved up for Jarrett it would have been viewed differently.
Now anyone can say... "Nope not me." I still wouldn't believe some here.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't care how many other picks there are. The more the merrier. Especially top-3-round picks. You don't trade a 3rd for a 4th.
Well you should. The Lions knew they were gonna have a bunch of picks next year, so they used one of them to trade up for a guy they wanted. I'd rather them do that than miss on said guy.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't bash every move he makes. He is decent in free agency. His drafting is similar to Millen's
While it may seem like I do, the fact is that I don't. It's a simple matter of him making so many more glaring errors than the things he does right that makes it seem that way.

With his staggering lack of qualifications for the job it shouldn't come as a surprise that he has a record consisting of far more losses as a GM than he does wins as a GM. It's that simple.

As for this draft, way too early to say anything other than their were some guys out there I would have liked to see us get and some good risk vs reward opportunities that we passed on as well IMO. Which means nothing at this point since none of these picks have played a down yet.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A closer look: Defensive tackle Gabe Wright
Defensive coordinator Teryl Austin’s take: “He falls in the mold in what we like our defensive tackles to do. That is to penetrate, attack, get off blocks and make plays. He did a really good job of those things. He is a good player, a good kid, and we are really glad to have him.”

Detroit Lions trade up, draft defensive tackle Gabe Wright
Wright started seven of the 13 games he played in last season and finished with 24 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and one sack. He had 20 career tackles for loss and nine sacks.

A very durable player, he played in 52 games total at a number of different positions along Auburn’s defensive line.

The Lions needed to add depth and talent to that group of interior lineman despite trading for Haloti Ngata and signing Tyrunn Walker in free agency. The defensive tackle position is rotated the most in a game and the Lions needed more talent and depth there.

“I like the fact he has a quick first step,” Lions defensive coordinator Teryl Austin said. “He is very strong and powerful. He has good hands and can disengage then get off and finish.

“That is one thing we look for in our defensive lineman is the ability to penetrate. We are not a stand on the line and read team. When we evaluate our guys as coaches that’s one of the things we look for.”

KEY QUESTIONS: Mayhew's take on the 2015 Draft
How aggressive were the Lions in trading up in the fourth round?

It turns out very aggressive. Mayhew and his staff talked about drafting defensive tackle Gabe Wright in the third round, so when he was still available in the fourth round, they were very aggressive in trying to secure his services.

“We were calling at the beginning of the round,” Mayhew said.

We just kept calling and made the offer to several teams. Several teams seemed interested, but then when they were on the clock they had a player who they wanted. So, we finally found a match and made a move and we were able to draft Gabe (Wright).”

It also helped that Mayhew expects to get a third-round compensatory pick for Ndamukong Suh, so parting ways with their third-rounder in 2016 wasn't too hard.

BB_72; If Mayhew and the coaches wanted DT Grady Jarrett, IMO only, they'd have made a move for him. Many posters in here, myself included, thought Jarrett was a fit. He obviously wasn't a fit in their eyes.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am sure Suh's contract will hamper them. They have almost 21 million in dead coming off the books this season. Next year only have 2.8 for Wheeler. ( now granted that may go up if they are forced to cut guys and create room) So almost 18 million extra space to absorb Suh's hit of 25 next year. It shows 155 million next year and that is with RT getting the $16.1 5th year option. So you resign him and that hit can be lowered a lot.

Big difference between how Lewand structured deals and how Clements and his boss are. They also do not have two other huge contracts on the books. It might not be as bad or as hard as some are thinking.
Clements and his boys haven't seen the playoffs since 2008

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well you should. The Lions knew they were gonna have a bunch of picks next year, so they used one of them to trade up for a guy they wanted. I'd rather them do that than miss on said guy.

Reckless draft-pick management. It's no wonder there are always so many holes on this team.

Coach_Ed_LPW

Coach of the Year
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't wait until you have to rock dreads. You're gonna look like a bush walking around.
The Phins are the 4th best team in their division! Shine it up Q-ball

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was one of the draft picks he gave up to get Haloti Ngata. At any rate, this marks his first draft that he didn't take a WR. If Mayhew is around next year he'll probably draft 2 WR's to make up for the loss this year.

He might need to. Did you happen to notice that Ted Thompson did that even though they have guys already?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I know. What GM wouldn't give away next year's 3rd round pick to gain a mid-4th this year? I mean, you'd have to be foolish not to!

:L

Most would complain about who got selected with that pick anyway so why does it matter?

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
DT Grady Jarrett, IMO only, they'd have made a move for him. Many posters in here, myself included, thought Jarrett was a fit. He obviously wasn't a fit in their eyes.

Him and Bennett weren't on a lot of teams radars because they were slightly undersized i doubt they even gave them a look.

Most would complain about who got selected with that pick anyway so why does it matter?

He's had far greater success hitting in the 3rd than in the 4th rounds

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reckless draft-pick management. It's no wonder there are always so many holes on this team.

So lets see here. If the Lions like Wright and think they can get the most outof him, why on earth would they hang on to pick that is not only extra but is also for a situation that cannot be predicted at the moment. There is nothing wrong with building a roster with future picks. Isnt everyone crying for d-line help?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He traded for the player not the pick.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You do realize Gabe Wright was a 1st round pick if came out last year as an underclassman? He had an unimpressive Sr year because OCs found a glitch in his technique and exploited it to neutralize him. Hopefully that gets taken care of. Jarrett was my favorite too, but I had Wright on my radar for the 5th if we did not secure a DT in the early rounds. I am not bothered by it anymore.

I do trust Austin without question. Plus they Lions did most everything I was looking for. They cant always take the exact player that I want and I accept that.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It seemed he was there guy possibly all along. Might have pulled the trigger at 23 for him??

So with thinking he was there guy why was moving back and getting depth or a starter and two picks a bad move? Then uses one of those picks to get another need in the third.

This is just my opinion. Very happy it was Laken. I stopped looking at him thinking he was going to be gone in top 5 of second round. So I don't see a reach for him when 10 spots is not a reach. I do view the Wright pick a reach. For where he was taken. Not a reach if he was the guy they wanted. With hindsight available now, trading back up for Jarrett or Bennett was also a reach after it unfolded.

I tend to think that Mayhew and company had some players identified that they wanted and they were going to get those guys. If you step away from the media rankings, what the analysts say and the made up fan's BPA and consider that the Lions may havewanted to accomplish certain things, it can be understood better.

I personally think its good to see them put something together that looks like a plan and the willingness to move up and down to get who they like.