• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions in ideal cap positiion to extend Levy, Ngata, Slay, and Ziggy

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He works his way into being a starter I can see that $2.3. I don't see that for rotational guy.

Apparently BQ has to upgrade every position to be successful. At least that's what I read the other day. So not sure Wilson will meet those standards, he's just mid a level guy.

huh. I guess I've missed a few pages over the last couple of weeks. good to know though. I guess mid-level guys who showed they could play better than others who were starting (Reid and at times even Ngata) aren't deserving of 2.3M per year.

I should have probably gone on to subscribe to PFF and made sure from a statistical standpoint that I was leaning in the right direction with any assessment on CJ Wilson.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see Riley Reiff's work as being warranted to an increase of 8+M this year either should he stay at that pay scale for 5th year option.. (It's nearly a 5M raise from last year's pay)

I stare at that $8 million cap hit a lot and wonder what Quinn does there? At least we know Mayhew won't be giving him a extension at that rate.

Might have to bite the bullet if he gets a LT this off season and see what Reiff gives you elsewhere on the OL for a future cheaper contract more in his value range.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At least we know Mayhew won't be giving him a extension at that rate.

very true.

However, what does scare me is that someone like Philly's LT, Lane Johnson, gets an extension above 10M per year and imo he sure as hell wasn't deserving of that much. It's also Philly's problem extending Johnson but that initially sets the market. It's crazy scary.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Let the bitchfest begin...
I liked Fred Flintstone just fine when he was firing and cutting people.

Didn't make it a day past that.

I was looking forward to thinking this franchise could stop sucking eternal balls too.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really wish Quinn had got a couple guys extended prior to this free agency period a bunch of average players got bullshit contracts driving the price up for everyone. I can't imagine Ansah taking less than Vernon or Slay taking less than Jenkins.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Imo, hope BQ extends him and Sam Martin as they should be relatively easy. Riddick is listed on the roster as a RB for a reason (less money paid to them) but he has a claim to being more receiver with all those targets and receptions over the last two years. He's too important for this offense to lose next year (same for Martin)

Slay's extension should follow as those prices for CB's were fairly high this year. I would hate to wait and have that go up or he decides to hit FA next year.

Might be same for Reiff as above comment.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Extend him early? How about we decide if he is even going to be on the roster after this year?

So our o-line going into 2017 if you have your way ???, ???, Swanson, Tomlinson, ???. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and extend players no team has pro bowlers at every position. Reiff and Warford both need to be extended we have no depth on the oline if we lose them were headed for 0-16 again or something close.

Last edited:

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I ever decide I have the time to run this team, you better get used to winning. I mean it. We'll be winning all the time. Believe me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not at this time, imo. He needs to complete this year without injuries and return to 2013 level of play. Scheme may help him to return to 2013 level of play but having calf strains and high ankle sprains, which are likely to happen to any player, are becoming the norm for him and have had a negative effect to his playing ability. He had these issues at Kentucky also. It's not that difficult to get a RT. Let him test the FA market so some other team can pay him 5M+ per year.

Extend him early? How about we decide if he is even going to be on the roster after this year?

agree here.

So our o-line going into 2017 if you have your way ???, ???, Swanson, Tomlinson, ???. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and extend players no team has pro bowlers at every position. Reiff and Warford both need to be extended we have no depth on the oline if we lose them were headed for 0-16 again or something close.

Reiff should be extended without question, imo. He's not the gawd awful LT that most want to believe. However, this past year he was rated 16th LT in the league. Maybe he improves with Prince as OL coach and reverts back to 2014 level of play. Reiff sure as hell isn't deserving of anything over 10-11M per as that's Joe Thomas and Tyron Smith money (and Cordy Glenn and Trent Williams are over-paid, imo and Reiff isn't at their level yet).

Slay needs to be extended first, imo, then you can work on Reiff, Riddick, Sam Martin which all four will come after the draft. (according to BQ all extensions will come after the draft)

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I won't be surprised to see two late round picks (5th-6th) for OL that were CFB versatile at C/G and G/OT.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reiff should be extended without question, imo. He's not the gawd awful LT that most want to believe. However, this past year he was rated 16th LT in the league. Maybe he improves with Prince as OL coach and reverts back to 2014 level of play. Reiff sure as hell isn't deserving of anything over 10-11M per as that's Joe Thomas and Tyron Smith money (and Cordy Glenn and Trent Williams are over-paid, imo and Reiff isn't at their level yet).

Trent Williams is the best Otackle in the NFL he deserves whatever he is getting paid. 10-11m was Joe Thomas/Smith money years ago when they were signed both would command a lot more in the current market. that said i think Reiff would be looking at 8-9 million a year if we got him signed in the current market. As far as their play goes both Warford and Reiff were excellent players when Linehan was running the offense if the current regime is to stupid to match the scheme to the players they're the ones that need to go not our only decent offensive linemen.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Slay needs to be extended first, imo, then you can work on Reiff, Riddick, Sam Martin which all four will come after the draft. (according to BQ all extensions will come after the draft)

You always pay your stud CB. Its the 1 position on Defense that can justify huge money. CBs are on an island most of the time. The rest of the positions is more team oriented. I am OK with paying 1 DE as well. That's it though. On offense you pay your QB and 1 WR. Maybe 1 tackle. that's it. With the way the NFL is structured now, teams can bring in rookies for 4 to 5 years and then tag for a 1 yr or 2 if necessary and then let some other team spend huge money for a long term deal on a 28 year old. Go back to the draft and do it again and again.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
CBs are on an island most of the time. The rest of the positions is more team oriented.

They are just as team oriented as the rest of the defenders a bad pass rush can mean the difference between a CB having to lock down his receiver for 3 seconds or 7 seconds. All the truly great corners over the years had a matching great pass rush.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If I ever decide I have the time to run this team, you better get used to winning. I mean it. We'll be winning all the time. Believe me.
After that "Believe Me" at the end, I've decided I'll be voting for you come November.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trent Williams is the best Otackle in the NFL he deserves whatever he is getting paid

you win on that one.

that said i think Reiff would be looking at 8-9 million a year if we got him signed in the current market.

good luck thinking that Reiff is only going to get 8-9M when Castanzo and Solder both extended last Sept. 2015 and they both are in the 10M per yr range for avg. Reiff is no worse than Castanzo and most likely Solder too.

Osmele just got paid 11.7M per as a LG.