• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions in ideal cap positiion to extend Levy, Ngata, Slay, and Ziggy

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Quinn has extension decisions to make on 2013 draft class

Kinda forgot about Warford he deserves an offer too

Warford had one good season and two, injury plagued; So So seasons. Would like to see another year out of all of them before handing out extensions. BQ at least has a nice, young core to work with and all the dead money of Suh and CJ coming off the books. If he can nail the draft this year. He could set up a lot of good years for Lions fans.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warford had one good season and two, injury plagued; So So seasons. Would like to see another year out of all of them before handing out extensions. BQ at least has a nice, young core to work with and all the dead money of Suh and CJ coming off the books. If he can nail the draft this year. He could set up a lot of good years for Lions fans.

If we wait and he has another great season his price goes through the roof(also he becomes an URFA) and we likely can't afford him especially with all the other players that are in there final year if we wait hes likely gone and the Lions are looking for a guard yet again. Signing players after down years is the best time to get a great price.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we wait and he has another great season his price goes through the roof(also he becomes an URFA) and we likely can't afford him especially with all the other players that are in there final year if we wait hes likely gone and the Lions are looking for a guard yet again. Signing players after down years is the best time to get a great price.

That makes sense. Could be a big problem too if Tomlinson does not get his head out of his ass. I would need to wait until early in the season after JBC straightens these guys out in the offseason to make a judgement.

Also, the problem is what if Warford's agent looks at it from his end and thinks he can get twice as much by waiting and having a good year. I would imagine his agent would balk at any contract talks unless he knows his client sucks. Then he would just take what he could get.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with the buy low theory but I've seen more bad than good with Warford (1 good and 2 bad seasons). With Slay and Ansah, we've seen multiple good years or at least they are trending up, year after year. I'd feel much more comfortable with the Leo's giving them millions of dollars guaranteed.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's a G not named John Hannah. I'm not going to sweat this one.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warlord is damaged goods. Let him walk. BQ can replace him with a number of guys either via FA or the draft. Problem us Lions fans have is were so used to losing, we get an 11 win season and think "OMG, we gotta keep all these guys!" There are better guys out there then we have. Way better.

Anshan and Slay are the only two we really must keep. The rest can test reality in FA.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Warlord is damaged goods. Let him walk. BQ can replace him with a number of guys either via FA or the draft. Problem us Lions fans have is were so used to losing, we get an 11 win season and think "OMG, we gotta keep all these guys!" There are better guys out there then we have. Way better.

Anshan and Slay are the only two we really must keep. The rest can test reality in FA.

And Ansah is not close to his contract running out. 2 more years before we have to resign him. Not like he can have much better stats then this year. If he does then he deserves to be paid even more.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Notable FA imo
Manny Ramirez
Tahir Whitehead
IAQ
Don Mulhbach

Notable players in there final year
Darius Slay
Theo Riddick
Larry Warford
Riley Reiff
Devin Taylor
Ziggy(have a 5th year option that will likely be optioned)

Last edited:

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible notable cuts/retirement

Tulloch 6 million in savings
CJ Wilson 2.3 million in savings(Drawing a blank on this guy not really sure who he is)
Pettigrew 2.65 million in savings
Calvin Johnson 11 million in savings

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the cuts and Calvin retiring, Lions could have 50 mil to spend. Probably minus 10 for extending Slay though. Nice to finally be in a good position without having to mortgage the future

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Possible notable cuts/retirement

Tulloch 6 million in savings
CJ Wilson 2.3 million in savings(Drawing a blank on this guy not really sure who he is)
Pettigrew 2.65 million in savings
Calvin Johnson 11 million in savings

That Wilson guy is the DT/DE who I get mixed up with the Wilson that played CB. He played decent in late season action. Not enough to warrant that much money IMO. I have cut this kid ten times in my head thinking he was the CB.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That Wilson guy is the DT/DE who I get mixed up with the Wilson that played CB. He played decent in late season action. Not enough to warrant that much money IMO. I have cut this kid ten times in my head thinking he was the CB.

you're a mixed bag of Herbert Clark Hoover and FDR on this one, imo.

I'd take DT CJ Wilson all day long at 2.3M versus bringing back Ngata at any price.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Should Pettigrew get cut, you'll have to factor in an injury settlement for his ACL tear and being on IR. You won't get that full 2.65M savings

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
and you talk about Old Lion and me being cheap-skates.....

you're on extremely thin Ice.

Old Lion and myself praised that kid a bunch. He made $1 mill last year and I don't see his body of work warranting that big a raise. The Lions have two young kids making that are already rotational kids.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you're a mixed bag of Herbert Clark Hoover and FDR on this one, imo.

I'd take DT CJ Wilson all day long at 2.3M versus bringing back Ngata at any price.

I had Ngata even thought about bringing him back in over a month. I'm still looking at young infusion of rookies.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions have two young kids making that are already rotational kids

Gabe Wright has no business even being considered as a rotational guy, imo. Also, my opinion is that DT Wilson will be much more than just a rotational guy. I'm wrong more than 70% of the time though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He made $1 mill last year and I don't see his body of work warranting that big a raise.

I don't see Riley Reiff's work as being warranted to an increase of 8+M this year either should he stay at that pay scale for 5th year option.. (It's nearly a 5M raise from last year's pay)

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gabe Wright has no business even being considered as a rotational guy, imo. Also, my opinion is that DT Wilson will be much more than just a rotational guy. I'm wrong more than 70% of the time though.

He works his way into being a starter I can see that $2.3. I don't see that for rotational guy.

Apparently BQ has to upgrade every position to be successful. At least that's what I read the other day. So not sure Wilson will meet those standards, he's just mid a level guy.