• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2021 off-season FA. Something for nothing or nothing at all ?

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Old School TE - Charlie Sanders type - is long gone but I do agree with you on your statement of 1-dimensional TE.
I wouldnt be disappointed if we got a deal on Trey Burton either. I just dont want to overpay because of the lack quality out there.

Mebert

Not Mebert's Alt
Hoopla Cash
$ 22,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldnt be disappointed if we got a deal on Trey Burton either. I just dont want to overpay because of the lack quality out there.
I am even ok with an overpay for a single year, just no multiyear overpays.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

meh.
just a guy, imo
wouldn't bother me one way or another

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like the Lions are trying to trade Crosby.
Report: Lions looking to trade right tackle Tyrell Crosby

Not sure if it is a good idea but he only has 1 year left and we aint contending for anything this year so why not get something.

So long as Holmes receives, at a minimum, a 4th round or better pick in 2022 then I view this possible trade as a good thing.

Losing Crosby could leave them in somewhat of a bind however, Fraley must have some input as to whether Nelson is a viable swing tackle option should an injury occur to either Decker or Sewell. Unfortunately Vaitai is another option as well even though none of us would be excited to see that happen.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So long as Holmes receives, at a minimum, a 4th round or better pick in 2022 then I view this possible trade as a good thing.

Losing Crosby could leave them in somewhat of a bind however, Fraley must have some input as to whether Nelson is a viable swing tackle option should an injury occur to either Decker or Sewell. Unfortunately Vaitai is another option as well even though none of us would be excited to see that happen.
I am on the Nelson Bandwagon. I liked what I saw from him last year. Seems like a Campbell kind of guy too. As far as Vaitai is concerned I will be OK with him if he becomes a decent G, but you are correct in that I dont want to see him at OT again.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The following article describes, to some degree, how the usage of players will come to light in the new scheme.

Wash started with defensive end Trey Flowers, who will be playing in a much different scheme than he had played in with the Patriots and under Matt Patricia. Normally in a down defensive end role, it sure sounds like Flowers will be playing a little more outside linebacker than he’s used to.

“We’re going to be a 3-4 out of base where he’s playing the outside linebacker spot,” Wash said bluntly. “And with them, obviously, it’s important that we’ll be able to get after the passer with those guys in our base package. Once we go to our sub and our dime package, then he’s going to be playing the defensive end spot.”

Considering many teams play more snaps in subpackages than their base formation, it may not be a huge change for Flowers, but it will be a change. Last year, he played outside linebacker in just nine snaps, per PFF. The year before, it was 27 snaps. In 2018, it was 61.

Regardless of the adaptation, Wash is confident he’ll fit right into their new scheme. An outside linebacker in this scheme needs to be able to do three things, per Wash: rush the passer, set the edge, and be “serviceable” in coverage. Despite not having much experience in the final category there, Wash believes Flowers will elevate his game based on his athletic skills.

“He’s got a great skillset for what we’re trying to do,” Wash said.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Onward to Onwuzurike and McNeil. The former will be playing DE in 3-4 base but moved inside in sub-packages.

McNeil, obviously, will be at NG but I could see him getting some very limited reps as a 5 or 4i tech here and there once he's up to speed with NFL play. The Giants have former Clemson NT, Dexter Lawrence, playing end most of his reps as that 5/4i tech.

Conversation then moved to the rookie pairing the Lions drafted on Day 2: defensive tackles Levi Onwuzurike and Alim McNeill. Wash said the Friday those two were drafted was “like Christmas” for him. Again, he broke down exactly what their expectations were for each player.

On Onwuzurike:

“Levi will play defensive end, and then on sub and dime packages, he’ll move inside.
“I really like Levi’s length to be able to set the edge and build a wall inside.”
On McNeill—who he calls “Mac”:

“He’s going to end up playing nose guard.”
“Mac is a young man who’s very athletic for his size at 327 (pounds).

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell can't read all of the alignments Schlitt has laid out and not even with glasses AND a frickin' magnifying glass to boot.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Put it all together with things we already know about Detroit’s defensive front, and it will probably look something like this:

Base 3-4 defense:

DL: Michael Brockers/Nick Williams — Alim McNeill/John Penisini — Levi Onwuzurike/Da’Shawn Hand
LBs: Romeo Okwara — Alex Anzalone — Jamie Collins Sr. — Trey Flowers

Sub/Dime packages:

DL: Romeo Okwara — Michael Brockers — Levi Onwuzurike/Da’Shawn Hand — Trey Flowers
LB: Jamie Collins Sr.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I sure as hell can't read all of the alignments Schlitt has laid out and not even with glasses AND a frickin' magnifying glass to boot.

I hope those are not the starters in the secondary. I dont want to see Harris starting at any position and Dunbar probably should start over Amani.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I hope those are not the starters in the secondary. I dont want to see Harris starting at any position and Dunbar probably should start over Amani.

WTF ?

Did you recently receive lasik surgery because your damn eyes are nearly as old as mine.

I couldn't read a damn one of those.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

YOU are 1 tricky MoFo

If I had opened up the tweet and then double clicked on it, it would've expanded to be readable.

Thanks for not informing me of the "How To" :pound:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like this. The offense, specifically TE's in this segment, will be built around what the coaches see in each player and then they'll develop a scheme.

new Lions tight ends coach Ben Johnson

“Until we get the guys here … I don’t know exactly skill-set wise what direction we’ll go,” Johnson said, explaining that he hasn’t seen newcomer Darren Fells on the field yet or seen T.J. Hockenson since January.

“We haven’t really finalized exactly what we’re going to do on offense,” Johnson later elaborated. “We’re going to see these players before we make good decisions on the direction we’re going to go in terms of scheme.”

This staff is open to adaptation. They’re not painting themselves into a corner with demands and strict guidelines on what a person at a given position must offer.

It’s a philosophical divergence from the way things have been done in the past in Detroit.

Johnson made it clear that nothing schematic is set yet.

“Right now, I don’t know exactly what this (offense) is going to look like,” he stated.

Good. Figuring out what the players do well and building the offense around that instead of asking the players to fit a rigid scheme is a smart step for the new-look Lions.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flowers has primarily played as an end in his NFL career, moving between a 5-tech and a 7-tech in the various “multiple” fronts deployed by ex-coach Matt Patricia in both New England and Detroit. In 2020, Flowers played all but 21 of his 307 snaps on defense on the line.

He does have some considerable, and successful, experience playing in a stand-up OLB role. In the “LEO” role in a 3-4 base defense, the position is responsible almost exclusively at attacking the quarterback from a stand-up role outside the defensive end. Flowers played that role in over 50 percent of his snaps in his final two seasons (2017-2018) in New England and scored the highest Pro Football Focus pass rush grades of his career in that role.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Four of PFF’s top 10 wide receivers play on the other teams in the division.

The list kicks off with Green Bay’s Davante Adams at the very top. He edges out Arizona’s DeAndre Hopkins for the No. 1 spot.

Allen Robinson stayed in Chicago this offseason and stays in the top five of the rankings at No. 4 overall.

The Minnesota Vikings landed two receivers in the top 10. Adam Theilen checks in at No. 9 and last year’s rookie phenom, Justin Jefferson, is one spot back at No. 10.

The abundance of top-end receiving talent puts the focus on the Lions pass defense, which must rebound after posting a league-worst PFF coverage grade of an abysmal 28.7 in 2020.

Old Lion

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Flowers has primarily played as an end in his NFL career, moving between a 5-tech and a 7-tech in the various “multiple” fronts deployed by ex-coach Matt Patricia in both New England and Detroit. In 2020, Flowers played all but 21 of his 307 snaps on defense on the line.

He does have some considerable, and successful, experience playing in a stand-up OLB role. In the “LEO” role in a 3-4 base defense, the position is responsible almost exclusively at attacking the quarterback from a stand-up role outside the defensive end. Flowers played that role in over 50 percent of his snaps in his final two seasons (2017-2018) in New England and scored the highest Pro Football Focus pass rush grades of his career in that role.

Time for him to earn his money. Hopefully he will be injured less too playing standup more.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Time for him to earn his money. Hopefully he will be injured less too playing standup more.

Most definitely.

It's quite possible, if healthy, this new scheme will utilize him in a much better way.

Hand and Bryant will have to step it up this year too. Hand is on his last year of contract and Bryant being injured both years off of draft mist likely puts him on the brink of being done in Detroit by the end of this year.