• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Lions 2020 FA thread

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vaitai isn't going to be an OG. Brandon Brooks is Eagles RG and a pro-bowl one at that.

Vaitai replaced LT Jason Peters every time he was injured.

Johnson was always their RT.

Philly drafted former Washington State LT Andre Dillard at #22 overall last year. That's how much Philly thought of Vaitai.

Thats because they are unsure of Peters future. It has nothing to do with Vaitai.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Breaking down new Lions contracts: Halapoulivaati Vaitai, Jamie Collins, Chase Daniel

While this seems like a lot to pay for a backup quarterback who has started just five games in his 10-year career, this has two-year deal written all over it.

2020: $2 million cap hit — $5 million dead cap
2021: $5.3 million cap hit — $3 million dead cap
2022: $5.75 million cap hit — $750,000 dead cap

Maybe I am overthinking it but no way if I am a GM. Am I giving some scrub ass bitch like Chase Daniel a nickel. I think they had the right idea last year.
We are basically fucked if Staff goes down. Why not draft a tools guy in the later rounds, not pay him anything and let him develop. If Staff goes down and the guy comes out and plays well. You are sitting on draft capital.
Signing Daniels is just pissing money into the wind IMO. You aren't winning a super bowl if he comes in. If he comes in and plays good. No team is offering any draft capital to you for him either. ZERO upside.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Detroit Lions signing DT Danny Shelton to 2-year deal

Though his first year in New England was modest, with just one start and 21 tackles in 13 game appearances, he really came into his own in 2019. Shelton started 14 of 16 games, racked up 61 tackles, 3.0 sacks and a respectable PFF grade of 71.6 (35th of 121 qualifying interior defenders).

At 26 years old, Shelton is a nice, younger option for the Lions at nose tackle, and he’s an obvious scheme fit with his success in New England. At just $4 million per year average, he’s also considerably cheaper than if the Lions had gone for a top-tier free agent nose tackle like D.J. Reader, who signed with the Bengals for an average of $13.25 million per year.

This is a low cost, high upside signing. Best one so far.
Still gives me a chuckle that we are basically NE's scrapyard though.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Philly drafted former Washington State LT Andre Dillard at #22 overall last year. That's how much Philly thought of Vaitai.

That's because they are unsure of Peters future. It has nothing to do with Vaitai.

It has everything to do with Vaitai.

Peter's missed 9 regular season games and the 3 post-season games in Philly's run to the Super-Bowl in 2017. Vaitai and not Johnson was the replacement at Peter's LT spot.

Philly GM Howie Rosen is one of the more accredited GM's in the NFL and him knowing what he had seen in Vaitai's starts must have led to him spending a 1st round pick, #22 overall, in the 2019 draft.

If Vaitai was the answer at LT then I highly doubt Rosen would've spent his first round pick on CFB LT.

Lane Johnson is known, by his own admission in an interview, that he's more comfortable and better suited for RT. Johnson has already received 2 contract extensions with one in 2016 and the last in November of 2019.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe I am overthinking it but no way if I am a GM. Am I giving some scrub ass bitch like Chase Daniel a nickel. I think they had the right idea last year.
We are basically fucked if Staff goes down. Why not draft a tools guy in the later rounds, not pay him anything and let him develop. If Staff goes down and the guy comes out and plays well. You are sitting on draft capital.
Signing Daniels is just pissing money into the wind IMO. You aren't winning a super bowl if he comes in. If he comes in and plays good. No team is offering any draft capital to you for him either. ZERO upside.

I understand where you're coming from.

I just gave up on letting all their moves get to me.

Driskel received 2 years and 5M from Denver so there is that part of the equation.

I'd rather they not spend any damn draft pick on a qb that's a tools guy either. BQ tried that in back to back years with Rudock and Kaya and failed both times. I don't see the advantage in wasting another pick on a hopeful qb.

BQ can waste one of those late round picks on some other position.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is a low cost, high upside signing. Best one so far.
Still gives me a chuckle that we are basically NE's scrapyard though.

agree.

I like the trade for S Harmon too simply for the reason of helping Walker and Harris to prosper in this scheme.

I don't know what draft pick they gave up but it's not going to matter, imo.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It has everything to do with Vaitai.

Peter's missed 9 regular season games and the 3 post-season games in Philly's run to the Super-Bowl in 2017. Vaitai and not Johnson was the replacement at Peter's LT spot.

Philly GM Howie Rosen is one of the more accredited GM's in the NFL and him knowing what he had seen in Vaitai's starts must have led to him spending a 1st round pick, #22 overall, in the 2019 draft.

If Vaitai was the answer at LT then I highly doubt Rosen would've spent his first round pick on CFB LT.

Lane Johnson is known, by his own admission in an interview, that he's more comfortable and better suited for RT. Johnson has already received 2 contract extensions with one in 2016 and the last in November of 2019.

Johnson was always a starter. They figured Peters was leaving so they drafted another potential stud. Dillard was my favorite tackle in the draft. Vaitai is serviceable with upside but not going to be elite. He can replace Wagner.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I just read an article on Chase Daniels. He has made $35 million in the NFL and has only played like 500 snaps:pound:

They broke down his pay per snap and he has earned $67,000 per snap in the NFL, this includes end of the game kneel downs.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions signed CB Desmond Trufant, formerly of the Falcons, to a two-year, $21 million contract.

Detroit has steadily been revamping its defense, as Trufant joins Danny Shelton, Jamie Collins, Duron Harmon, and Nick Williams as new additions for the Lions. Trufant's best days are definitely behind him at 30 years old later this year, but he can still get the job done even if he's no longer a true No. 1 cover man. The Lions could try to continue to shop top cover man Darius Slay after Trufant's arrival.

Stomp

Lions Homer
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Last edited:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Johnson was always a starter.

and Vaitai became a starter by default due to Peter's injuries and not by his play which is why they drafted Dillard.

just admit I was correct in that Rosen drafted Dillard because he was a better risk option than to have Vaitai.

C'mon, you old fart.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dillard was my favorite tackle in the draft.

I second that thought and even over Bama's former LT Jonah Williams who was injured in training camp.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Vaitai is serviceable with upside but not going to be elite. He can replace Wagner.

So, on paper, Vaitai will at least play equally to Wagner and hopefully better.

got it.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Report: Devon Kennard signing 3-year deal with Cardinals

Kennard is from Phoenix, Arizona, so it will be a nice homecoming for the 28-year-old veteran.

For reference, the Lions gave him a three-year, $17.25 million deal ($8.5M guaranteed) two years ago.

BB_72: good for Kennard. Class act but BQ should've kept him through pre-season and then try trade or at worse release him.