• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS 2014 FREE AGENTS THREAD (all positons)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you see that GB's Sam Shields received a 4 year 39 mil contract ?

Ya, the price for players is going up, up and away. The Lions are either going to have to let Pettigrew go or pay him Pitta money, which imo would be insanity.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya, the price for players is going up, up and away. The Lions are either going to have to let Pettigrew go or pay him Pitta money, which imo would be insanity.

Let Petti go, IMO.

Rookie Mike Williams should be more than capable as an in-line blocker with some chip/release downfield. I will not say matter of fact that Williams will ever be equal to Petti but the probable cost to keep Petti " may appear " to be too much.

There doesn't seem to be but one all-around TE in this years draft that could match what Petti provided and that is Austin Seferian-Jenkins. He has question marks with the foot injury, DUI, production level tapered off in this past year but as I read an article yesterday, Scouts/Pro personnel tend to look at how a prospect projects to the NFL as much as his collegiate production.

A quote from Scout Matt Miller,
for any talent evaluators (young, old or aspiring), my lesson would be to never forget that the NFL draft is as much about projection as it is about production. Maybe more projection, even. That 6'4", 230-pound wide receiver who dropped a few big passes for your favorite college team may be someone the NFL loves because they feel coaches can refine his technique and make him a star.

Expanding on that thought: It's so important to have a good understanding of schemes and assignments when grading a player.

And one more note coming off of that last one: Stats are overrated. Talent does equal production in most cases, but production in college doesn't equal NFL talent or NFL production. The most important factor in an evaluation is talent, not production. Just ask Timmy Chang (the former Hawaii quarterback) if you don't believe me.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In addition to the Jets, Rams, Giants, Redskins, and Vikings, free agent CB Alterraun Verner has drawn interest from the Steelers and Lions.

The Steelers probably aren't a likely landing spot due to their salary cap constraints. The Lions could make it work, but signing Verner would likely be accompanied by LCB Chris Houston's release. While there's no question Verner has a red-hot free agent market, Detroit and Pittsburgh both seem like long-shot landing spots. Verner is going to command $10 million-plus per year.

In a heartbeat!!!!

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions inquire about TJ Ward

Detroit Lions inquire about Browns' T.J. Ward - NFL.com

Ward could slide into what was Delmas' role in Detroit, alongside 2013 signee Glover Quin (five-year, $25 million contract). Ward is better at filling the box against the run than in coverage. Pro Football Focus graded him its third overall safety for 2013. However, the 27-year-old can be exposed in the passing game. :gaah:

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best FA Fits

:wtf2:
Jermichael Finley to Detroit

The Lions have been looking for a second banana to Calvin Johnson for a while. Perhaps it doesn't have to be a wide receiver. Finley has to pass medical tests after his neck surgery last year, but he's expected to return to the league. That makes him a fine candidate for a one-year deal with a lot of incentives. Taking a shot with Finley makes a lot more sense than locking up Brandon Pettigrew long-term.
-- Gregg Rosenthal

uuhhhhhmmmmm, that's a HELL to the Fuckin' NO

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shit is about to get real.

The Baltimore Sun reports the Cardinals are expected to sign free agent LT Jared Veldheer to a contract worth $7 million to $7.5 million per year.

The Baltimore Sun reports the Raiders are expected to sign free agent T/G Rodger Saffold "for roughly $8 million per year."

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bill Polian has Willie Young as the 3rd best DE? Good for Willie, I'll still like him when he's playing somewhere else.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got problems on the line if he signs elsewhere.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We've got problems on the line if he signs elsewhere.

Absolutely. But what kind of raise would he be looking at? The lone late round pan out wont be looking to be paid like a 7th rounder if he's honestly the 3rd best option on the market. (Willie is probably my favorite player, but something's got to give. His other line mates are takin' up his share of the kitty already.)

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BIG f'ing day fans.

Hearing Bell is close to a long term deal......

TJ Ward and James Jones may be serious targets for the Lions.........

I'd be happy with a trifecta like that.

Willie Young is a slow adult. Keep him on a 1 year deal for minimum money or let him go. I hear he wants to test FA anyways.

Other predictions -

Pettigrass gets snagged up by someone else.

Shaun Hill too.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess lamarr woodley wants to finish his career in his hometown? Don't really know how he'd find, unless we want him to play OLB or maybe DE in our 4-3 scheme.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess lamarr woodley wants to finish his career in his hometown? Don't really know how he'd find, unless we want him to play OLB or maybe DE in our 4-3 scheme.

Hadn't heard that one yet. He wouldn't seem to be a very good fit in a 4-3 (right around Avril's size- small DE), plus he's apparently lazy as shit and doesn't care that his lack of proper work habits are going to end up costing him a lot of $$ on the open market...

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
hoping for a big day today ward and maybe decker??? or if not decker i would take nicks on a cheap one year deal

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No thanks on Decker- I like him and all, but he's poised to land a bigger contract than we should be spending on a #2 WR.

That's my $.02 anyhow... maybe he signs way cheaper than we expect?

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just Say No to Nicks

hoping for a big day today ward and maybe decker??? or if not decker i would take nicks on a cheap one year deal

27. Wide receiver Hakeem Nicks -- Zero TDs last 18 games. Three TDs last 29 games. Major effort and on-field ability question marks. Once tilted coverage. Now a boom-or-bust signing. Due to poor recent film, Nicks may come surprisingly cheap. Nicks played his college ball at North Carolina, and Panthers GM Dave Gettleman knows him well as a former top Giants exec.

Free Agent Forecast: Panthers on one-year, $4 million deal.

Oft-injured and has never lived up to his hype, IMO. Above are projection/forecast where players land per Roto-World

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/46447/309/2014-free-agency-forecast

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rotot-World FA forecast

39. Free safety Chris Clemons -- Surprisingly met by cold market last offseason. Settled for one-year, $2.75 million deal to stay in Miami. Entering age-29 season. Not a ballhawk but top-10 cover safety in 2013 per PFF. Has drawn known interest from Jets. Would be excellent fit in Detroit, playing center field with Glover Quin in rover-safety role.

Free Agent Forecast: Lions on five-year, $20 million deal.

43. Wide receiver Golden Tate -- Stats deflated by Seattle's run-first scheme. Playmaker with ball in hands. Size limitations (5'10/202), miscast as No. 1 receiver with Seahawks. Ex-college running back. Could surge statistically on team that gave him more run-after-catch opportunities. Turns 26 in August.

Free Agent Forecast: Jets on three-year, $18 million deal.

47. Wide receiver James Jones -- Touchdowns dropped from 14 in 2012 to three despite only playing two fewer games. Did post career-high 817 yards. Strong, physical, well-built (6'1/208) receiver who can win 50-50 balls and runs well after the catch. Not an explosive playmaker. Has cut down dramatically on early-career drops. 30 in March. Seems very likely to leave Green Bay. Linked to Lions, Jets. San Jose State alum wants to play in California.

Free Agent Forecast: Chargers on four-year, $17.5 million deal.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was hoping for Andre Roberts as a Possible FA WR to the Lions

Redskins do 4-year, $16M deal with WR Roberts
5888.jpg

Redskins agreed to terms with WR Andre Roberts on a four-year, $16 million contract.

Roberts just turned 26 and played his college ball at nearby Citadel. He can play outside and in the slot. Roberts will slide in as the starter opposite Pierre Garcon, ending Santana Moss' run in Washington. The Skins will field a starting wideout tandem of sub-six-footers in 2014, as Roberts is 5-foot-11 and Garcon is a tick under 6-foot. Roberts could flirt with WR3 fantasy value in D.C., though we wouldn't anticipate consistency. Garcon is a target hog.
Source: [ame="[MEDIA=twitter]443388236006948865[/MEDIA]"]Mike Jones on Twitter [/ame]
Mar 11 - 10:12 AM

Last edited by a moderator:

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BIG f'ing day fans.

Hearing Bell is close to a long term deal......

TJ Ward and James Jones may be serious targets for the Lions.........

I'd be happy with a trifecta like that.

Willie Young is a slow adult. Keep him on a 1 year deal for minimum money or let him go. I hear he wants to test FA anyways.

I think you're under-valuing Willie. Why create another hole by letting him walk?