• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS 2014 FREE AGENTS THREAD (all positons)

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on Santonio Holmes (Homes?) on a one year deal? He might come cheap given our pass-first, WR-friendly offense could well help him land a bit better deal next offseason...

He could always replace ogilvy.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any thoughts on Santonio Holmes (Homes?) on a one year deal? He might come cheap given our pass-first, WR-friendly offense could well help him land a bit better deal next offseason...

I dont think he will be cheap but if he is, hell yeah.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dont think he will be cheap but if he is, hell yeah.

I think being unemployed this late in the offseason really kills any negotiating leverage he has. Maybe not on a veteran minimum deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody ends up signing him to a (roughly) $1.5 million one year deal with some performance escalators to give him the chance to earn more if he produces.

He hasn't had a particularly good season in years. He seems to have peaked with that crazy Super Bowl winning grab, although playing with a QB whose nickname (or at least one of them) is "Butt Fumble" makes it pretty hard to have a good season...

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If he wasn't asking too much, he wouldn't still be out there.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think being unemployed this late in the offseason really kills any negotiating leverage he has. Maybe not on a veteran minimum deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if somebody ends up signing him to a (roughly) $1.5 million one year deal with some performance escalators to give him the chance to earn more if he produces.

He hasn't had a particularly good season in years. He seems to have peaked with that crazy Super Bowl winning grab, although playing with a QB whose nickname (or at least one of them) is "Butt Fumble" makes it pretty hard to have a good season...

Where is the money coming from??? No Suh restucture and not much there.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They can clear that kind of $$ pretty easily. If they want a free agent like that and need to keep the cap space tight they'll structure it as a two year deal to push some of the bonus $$ to next year and basically pay the veteran minimum this season...

I'm not saying that will happen, though, not at all. Personally I don't think I'd touch Homes, he's always seemed over-rated to me.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sure they can cut a couple guys like Owens and clear up room. I am not a fan of the keep pushing shit back system. Small or large amounts. The restructures and pushing back is what creates issues for years down the road.

Like you said not a huge fan of his either.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions signed Reynolds, a Guard that started 12 games for Atlanta. He was benched following poor play and subsequently released in February. Likely competing for a backup spot behind Sims and Warford. If he can play well enough, maybe Meow gets his wish of Sims getting cut for cap relief.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not many remaining free agents of note left on the market, but I'm trying to drum up some conversation on the board here because its slow as sheet right now, so here's a few guys worth considering:

QB Josh Freeman-

Freeman is simply more talented and has more upside than any QBs on our roster not named Stafford. Install him as the #3 QB and work him back into a viable back-up and we'll be set for a long time at QB2. I don't think he has the composure to be a franchise guy like it looked like he might be for a hot minute there, but he's got the tools to be a top back-up and spot-starter.

This would actually be a pretty low-impact signing given that we'd be losing Kellen Moore... not exactly a gut-wrenching decision, imo. Very low risk scenario.

Jermichael Finley-

Here's where I'll go outside the box- we absolutely don't need another TE, especially one who isn't much of a blocker. But Finley is a talented pass catcher and I really don't see why teams don't simply just turn these "joker" type TEs into possession WRs? Most of them are on par speed-wise with bigger possession WRs- 4.5 to 4.6 range- yet they're 3 or 4 inches taller and 30 lbs heavier.

I'd plug Finley in as a big-bodied possession guy in the Marques Colston role and let him beat up smaller DBs or burn slower LBs. Might be a little too "out-there" for some tastes, but let me ask you this: would you rather have Kris Durham as our big possession WR, or Jermichael Finley? Both are an option.

Of course that all depends on his health and if he gets clearance to return to action.

Ed Reed-

Is he over the hill, or isn't he? He sure looked it early on with Houston, but played far better with the Jets over the second half of the season. Given Quin's ability to cover the slot (as a converted CB) Reed may be of some value to us in 3 safety packages. He's not the player he once was, but he showed that he can be a good center-fielder last year. Given his familiarity with the system he might make some sense in a one year cameo role for us.

Terrell Thomas-
He's been covered on his own thread we got going, but he's simply better than Cassius Vaughn, who looks poised to claim a roster spot with Houston now gone. Knee injuries de-railed his career, but he was one of the best up-and-coming young CBs in the league before that. He's still under 30, has good size, and is a full season of effective play removed from his last major injury. Get him in on a contract that gives us injury protection and it seems like a no-brainer move to be considering the shape of the back-end of our CB corps.

Who else you guys got that could still help us out? Might seem like a bunch of washed-up vets is all that's left, but Mathis was a late addition surprise last year around this time, so one never knows who could be a wise investment right now. Plus, most guys are just looking for a job right now, so the compensation should be pretty team-friendly...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions signed Reynolds, a Guard that started 12 games for Atlanta. He was benched following poor play and subsequently released in February.

Sounds great.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nope I am good. Willie Young would be a diff story.

What's the difference between Willie Young and a 2nd grader? A 2nd grader is smart enough to know that a whistle means stop.

That's not even a joke.