• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS 2014 FREE AGENTS THREAD (all positons)

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont give up on houston just yet. Hes a low one high 2 cb guarding one receivers too often. If he was in the right position he would succeed.

Fair point. He may thrive as a true #2

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont give up on houston just yet. Hes a low one high 2 cb guarding one receivers too often. If he was in the right position he would succeed.
I agree with this. Let's see how he does in a new system. Regardless, his contract dictates that he likely will be a starting CB when the season opens.

I still think our #1 FA target should be Golden Tate. He is everything that the Lions want in a #2 WR. Great hands, good routes and won't rock the boat. I think Seattle wants him back but he could be enticed by playing with the best WR in the game. If the Lions can get Bush, Bell, CJ, Tate and a decent TE (not Pettigrew) on the field at the same time, the only thing that could stop the offense would be Stafford.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with this. Let's see how he does in a new system. Regardless, his contract dictates that he likely will be a starting CB when the season opens.

I still think our #1 FA target should be Golden Tate. He is everything that the Lions want in a #2 WR. Great hands, good routes and won't rock the boat. I think Seattle wants him back but he could be enticed by playing with the best WR in the game. If the Lions can get Bush, Bell, CJ, Tate and a decent TE (not Pettigrew) on the field at the same time, the only thing that could stop the offense would be Stafford.

Of course his contract dictates that. 4.8 mil cap hit being a starter or 5.2 mil cap hit cutting him. The highest priced player at his position is going to start, money/contract always dictates that unless you're Albert Haynesworth.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as receiver goes, Mayhew has stated that they are looking for a WR that can stretch the field and "make plays by himself". This just doesn't discribe Tate to me. He is very average to me.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As far as receiver goes, Mayhew has stated that they are looking for a WR that can stretch the field and "make plays by himself". This just doesn't discribe Tate to me. He is very average to me.

“We’re looking for guys like that that can run and get down the field and make the plays down the field,”

Detroit Lions hoping 'improved' Corey Fuller provides help at WR | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

new offensive coordinator Joe Lombardi said the presence of Calvin Johnson gives them plenty of options at the position.
Asked at his introductory news conference last week whether he’d prefer size or speed in a No. 2 pass catcher, Lombardi said both.
“I’d like big and fast,” he said. “But listen, if I was going to give a stock answer, I know what Calvin can do, how he can stretch the field, what his strengths are. I don’t really know what his weaknesses are right now, but I’m sure maybe there’s something. So you would say, ‘Well, someone to work underneath.’ That would be an easy answer. But if that guy exists and there’s someone better that maybe does a little something, I’d rather have the better guy.”

Johnson, who turns 29 this fall, has had the three best seasons of his career the last three years, but his body has shown signs of breaking down. He underwent finger and knee surgeries last month, and Lombardi said he’ll keep close tabs on the all-pro this fall and monitor his practice time.
“I think you always have to be aware of the wear and tear of this game on your players,” Lombardi said. “I don’t want to call it a pitch count, but you’re always cognizant, ‘How much are these guys running in practice? How many hits they are taking? Who’s coming across the middle to catch this pass that’s going to possibly get him hit?’ So I think that’s always, regardless of how old a player is, you’re always aware that this game, it’s a tough game played by tough men. And by the end of the season, everyone’s got a little something.”

here's the link; http://www.freep.com/article/20140211/SPORTS01/302110089/detroit-lions-nfl-draft-free-agency

Last edited by a moderator:

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course his contract dictates that. 4.8 mil cap hit being a starter or 5.2 mil cap hit cutting him. The highest priced player at his position is going to start, money/contract always dictates that unless you're Albert Haynesworth.

Hopefully, the coach would start whomever gives the team the best chance to win regardless of salary. I can guarantee you if there are two better options at his position, Houston will find himself watching a lot of games.

jalopy

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Cooper's deal with Philly ($25MM/5yrs, $10M guaranteed) pretty much set the market for Golden Tate. It is hard to imagine that Tate would command more than that. In the Lions situation, I can see Tate being worth $22.5MM/5yrs with 8 guaranteed. I still think those that are expecting a 1st round WR are not going to like what the Lions do in the next month.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be fine if the Lions go another route, but I really believe this is where they finally get a compliment to CJ.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd much rather pay a young rookie over Tate.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still think those that are expecting a 1st round WR are not going to like what the Lions do in the next month.
Im not expecting a WR, I simply would like Watkins or Evans, that's it. No other WR IMO deserves the 10 -spot.

However, that doesn't mean I wouldn't be happy with other selections. To expect anything from the Lions at this point is ridiculous. Nobody has a clue what they will do. FA hasn't even started. That may help clear things up, or it may not.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be fine if the Lions go another route, but I really believe this is where they finally get a compliment to CJ.

Titus young, ryan broyles..lets not waste another pick hoping we find a complement to CJ.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I don't understand that logic. Why on earth would the Lions stop looking for WR prospects just because the others haven't paaned out? They just need to do better. Using that same logic, why would the Lions even consider taking one in the second round?

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is this CRAP!!!

The Oakland Press suggests the Lions could offer Brandon Pettigrew a deal similar to Dennis Pitta's five-year, $32 million contract.

The Lions are interested in bringing back Pettigrew, but it's debatable whether he's worth $6.4 million annually. Pettigrew saw a diminished role last season, losing snaps to Joseph Fauria in red-zone situations and missing two games to injury. A capable in-line blocker and pass catcher, Pettigrew is one of the better all-around tight ends. He turned 29 earlier this offseason.

Source: The Oakland Press

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
WTF is this CRAP!!!

The Oakland Press suggests the Lions could offer Brandon Pettigrew a deal similar to Dennis Pitta's five-year, $32 million contract.

The Lions are interested in bringing back Pettigrew, but it's debatable whether he's worth $6.4 million annually. Pettigrew saw a diminished role last season, losing snaps to Joseph Fauria in red-zone situations and missing two games to injury. A capable in-line blocker and pass catcher, Pettigrew is one of the better all-around tight ends. He turned 29 earlier this offseason.

Source: The Oakland Press

Should Lewand/Mayhew do this type of contract with Pettipooooops then you (rollingthndr) will need to stop bitching at all of us who bitch about salary cap numbers for certain players.. Oh wait, Lewand waves his magic dumbass wand around and gives another back-loaded BS contract to a player that CAN BE replaced in the draft (it may take drafting that player this year and not seeing much from him until 2015). This article is pure lunacy....

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO, Let Pettipoooops walk, right now, if it's going to cost anything above 3.5 mil per year.

The Lions rank third in top-five player investment at $65.3 million, trailing only Pittsburgh and Dallas. The league average for top-five player investment is just over $50 million.
Seattle ranked 12th at $52.3 million.

Seattle won its first Super Bowl with a physically punishing and exceptionally quick-to-the-ball defense, reinforcing the platitude of “defense wins championships.”

The Seahawks’ formula is an excellent defense at a bargain price, guaranteeing them the financial flexibility to absorb the maximum cost of two high-profile offensive players while still leaving plenty of salary space for defensive quality and depth.

They proved the incalculable value in strong collegiate scouting with a starting Super Bowl defense that included only three players drafted in the first two rounds and one significant free-agent signing. The rest were either undrafted free agents or middle- to late-round draft picks.

The Lions are the antithesis of the Seahawks. They’re fiscal slaves to their few stars, still paying for their competitive sins when they had top two overall picks in three out of four drafts. They rely far too much on free agency defensively because of their inability in identifying and developing middle- and low-round draft picks.
____________________________________________________________________________________
All of the above is talking about bargain priced defense but Damn, the investments in Staff, CJ, Bush, Bell will get his $$$ soon and now maybe Pettipooops, not to mention a possible 5-6 million dollar FA WR.. Add in the possibility of Suh not signing an extension.

I'm with GVSU in that Mayhew/Xanders need to build through the draft and IMO hit on 5/6 and 5/7 draft picks these next two drafts.... Taking a WR at #10, with Stafford's issues not guaranteed to be fixed, no matter how good Lombardi/Caldwell are, will be pure stupidity...And so would giving pettipooops any big money

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'll be shocked if they give Pettigrew the same $$$ as Pitta. I like Pettigrew I hope Mayhew doesn't over pay him just to keep him because he drafted him in the 1st round. He's definitely replaceable.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swarm, What did you do with the thread that had the two super-fine assed ladies in thongs out in the snow ?