• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS 2014 FREE AGENTS THREAD (all positons)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Houston could be strong armed into retirement? (I must have missed you mentioning Tillman, TPaul. I've seen Bear fans accept that he's leaving. And I've seen him fuck up our offense enough to know how much Id love to see him do it for us instead of against us. Namely against Chicago. Alshon and Marshall are the same type of WR as Calvin, and Peanut has been effective against him over the years.)

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Impending free agent C Alex Mack is expected to test the open market.

Mack, 28, will likely be the Browns' top priority and could be franchise-tagged, but CEO Joe Banner may not believe in doling out that kind of cash to a center. Mack is going to be a hot commodity on the open market and is easily the top center available in free agency -- he graded out as Pro Football Focus' No. 1 center in 2013. He'll probably aim for a deal similar to the one Ryan Kalil signed with the Panthers at six years and $49.1 million with $19 million guaranteed. Mack has previously said he'll give the Browns a chance to match any offer, though that was before the coaching staff was fired after one season.

Source: ESPN.com

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Young isnt better than avril but he is a better deal financially and was a better draft pick although avril in the third round was a steal as well. Neither is ever going to be the guy an offense plans for and both have had the advantage of fairley and suh in the middle. Young is also probably a pretty big reason why levy improved so much. Avril has always been a playmaker and the lions fortunately had levy step up this season and dominate making the plays but besides that they really lack playmakers on defense and their turnover plus minus had to have been bad. I know the offense contributed heavily to that as well.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless tillman is coming cheap I would pass on him. I remember how much most of us wanted asomugha not too long ago. FA cornerbacks over 30 unless signed to a short term contract are just big risks. Some do well later into their careers but I would rather see cornerback addressed in the draf which they have been doing just fine at.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My dream scenario would be to trade Houston so we can be out from under his salary
Unfortunately its basically a straight up impossibility. I know you dont agree but this is the perfect example of why I have been so continually disappointed by our cap mgmt. To make last year happen we used signing bonuses so we could spread out the cap hits over the length of the contract. Houston got $6.5m with his new contract. $5.2m of that sits as dead money. Trade him and it all vests. That means he costs us $5.2m in cap space to get rid of him. We are stuck with him. He will cost $3.9m to get rid of next year even. It was a bad contract.

This is why some of those depth players you want to keep around just dont fit. I've wanted Shaun Hill gone for years now. His $3.25m last year can go a very, very long way because its not as simple as saying its a drop in the bucket money against a $125m cap. Cap hits vs the actual contract value are staggeringly different.

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any chance Houston could be strong armed into retirement?

Won't make any difference. It costs us less to keep him than to get rid of him. Our best option would be to cut him next year after June 1st, where the then $3.9m dead money hit could be spread out over two years. That would save $3.95m against the 2015 cap. It's not a good position for us to be in.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
2. Antonio Cromartie, New York Jets, cornerback: Cromartie was susceptible to big plays last season and carries a $14.98 million salary-cap charge. A healthy Cromartie would still be the best player in a thin secondary, but he'll have to take a massive pay cut to return.

5. Ike Taylor, Pittsburgh Steelers, cornerback: Formerly a premier shadow corner, Taylor was picked on badly in the second half of the 2013 season. With a cap charge near $12 million, he's an obvious candidate for the chopping block.

12. Philip Wheeler, Miami Dolphins, linebacker: Wheeler was one of the key purchases in former general manager Jeff Ireland's shopping spree of mediocrity last offseason, but he predictably failed to live up to his salary which is scheduled to be $5 million in 2014.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a report in the FREEP (last weekend) that maybe the LIONS would try to target S Ihedigbo as he played for the Ravens under Austin..

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont give up on houston just yet. Hes a low one high 2 cb guarding one receivers too often. If he was in the right position he would succeed.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dont give up on houston just yet. Hes a low one high 2 cb guarding one receivers too often. If he was in the right position he would succeed.

Totally agree on high #2 cb... I expect a bounce back year from Houston. We still need to come out of camp with 6 cb's though and currently have (5).

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was a report in the FREEP (last weekend) that maybe the LIONS would try to target S Ihedigbo as he played for the Ravens under Austin..

I hope so. He had a great season last year, and obviously knows Austin's system from their time together in Baltimore. He shouldn't break the bank, and has some good years left in the tank, so this would be a move that makes a lot of sense...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I agree with this line of thought- I even posted on another thread that I thought Houston might be a revelation for us in the slot based on his strengths, weaknesses, and overall playing style.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Totally agree on high #2 cb... I expect a bounce back year from Houston. We still need to come out of camp with 6 cb's though and currently have (5).

Yerp.

I like Greenwood, Slay, Bentley and Green heading into the season, and Houston has something to prove. We need to either add a starter in free agency, or go after a depth player via free agency or the draft.

I believe Corey Graham is a free agent, and he had some decent play in Baltimore under Austin. He's also 6'0"+ and isn't a max contract type of CB. Might be worth a look-see...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Won't make any difference. It costs us less to keep him than to get rid of him. Our best option would be to cut him next year after June 1st, where the then $3.9m dead money hit could be spread out over two years. That would save $3.95m against the 2015 cap. It's not a good position for us to be in.

How come a guy can have 3-4 solid seasons in a row for us but the first "so-so" season everyone is ready to cut bait?

Dr. Evil-er

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil-er

How come a guy can have 3-4 solid seasons in a row for us but the first "so-so" season everyone is ready to cut bait?

???? I dont know that answer. I didnt say to cut him. I answered the question about him being strong armed into retirement and when the Lions could economically cut him. If he blows this year like he did last you will be in agreement with everyone else to cut him then. If he plays up to what he has in the years before no one will be advocating cutting him. It's that simple.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BRIEFLY: The Lions re-signed safety Isa Abdul-Quddus to a one-year contract worth $695,000, including a $50,000 signing bonus. Abdul-Quddus, whom the Lions claimed off waivers from the New Orleans Saints earlier this year, was slated to become a restricted free agent next month.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
from the Freep (dave birkett)

At safety, the Lions’ other major position of need, one name to keep an eye on in free agency is the Miami Dolphins’ Chris Clemons. Assuming Jairus Byrd and T.J. Ward don’t reach the market (or are too pricey once they get there), the Lions could focus on Clemons as a couple-year solution at the position. Glover Quin, one of last year’s top free-agent additions, played well in 2013 — his 30.7 opponent passer rating was best in the league among safeties, according to Pro Football Focus — and the team could supplement the position with an early pick in May’s draft.

You can read the full article here; Dave Birkett: Jadeveon Clowney likely won't fall to Detroit Lions in NFL draft, but here's who might | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FS Chris Clemons

ESPN Dolphins blogger James Walker reports that re-signing free agent FS Chris Clemons "isn't a priority."
Clemons started all 16 games last season, finishing with 93 tackles and an interception. The Dolphins are looking to upgrade at safety opposite Reshad Jones, so Clemons will be allowed to test the open market. Clemons figures to be limited to one-year deals in free agency. He turns 29 this offseason.

Source: ESPN.com

The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests free agent FS Malcolm Jenkins as a target for the Eagles.
Safety has been the biggest hole on the Eagles roster since Brian Dawkins left. They've missed in the draft (Nate Allen, Jaiquawn Jarrett) and missed in free agency (O.J. Atogwe, Pat Chung), leading to an annual leaky secondary. Jenkins, a converted corner, won't break the bank but would be an upgrade on the hideous four-headed monster of Allen, Chung, Kurt Coleman and Colt Anderson.
Related: Eagles

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2