• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LIONS 2014 FREE AGENTS THREAD (all positons)

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope the lions snag ginn for cheap and then spend the draft buildin their defense. LB with the first pick please.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I still hope the lions snag ginn for cheap and then spend the draft buildin their defense. LB with the first pick please.

I think Arizona signed Ginn yesterday.

As for LB with the 1st pick, that's be sweet if Mack or Barr is still there... I'd love either guy in our defense. Shazier would be sweet, too, but not at # 10, imo...

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yep, Ginn to Cards.

If you trust Dave Birkett as a source, and read between the lines here, we're pretty much done with FA of any significance.

17h[/ame]

Last edited by a moderator:

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for LB with the 1st pick, that's be sweet if Mack or Barr is still there... I'd love either guy in our defense. Shazier would be sweet, too, but not at # 10, imo...

I think Mack is long gone by the time the Lions pick. Barr should definitely be on the board though, as his inexperience will scare some teams off. Inexperience worked with Ansah last year -- so why not give Barr a try. I don't see him being a LB in the NFL, as he struggles shedding blocks, but I think if you put him at DE and have him add 15 lbs, which isn't much -- He could use his speed to the utmost advantage.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Mack is long gone by the time the Lions pick. Barr should definitely be on the board though, as his inexperience will scare some teams off. Inexperience worked with Ansah last year -- so why not give Barr a try. I don't see him being a LB in the NFL, as he struggles shedding blocks, but I think if you put him at DE and have him add 15 lbs, which isn't much -- He could use his speed to the utmost advantage.

I think he might be able to serve a hybrid role, given the sounds of what Austin wants to do with the defense. He could be a Von Miller style 4-3 "rush" OLB, or put his hand in the dirt on 3rd and long.

He is 6'5", though, so he's got plenty of room to put on 15-20 lbs and not lose much athleticism and speed.

I like his potential better as a stand-up OLB, but like you said he hasn't shown the ability to shed blocks at a high level.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that he's only been playing defense for two years, so his upside is still enormous.

If we drafted him at #10 and the coaches said "we'll figure out where to use him" I'd be just fine with that. He's a special talent, imo, and our defense could use some special talent. Or just good talent. Or even just talent, really...

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he might be able to serve a hybrid role, given the sounds of what Austin wants to do with the defense. He could be a Von Miller style 4-3 "rush" OLB, or put his hand in the dirt on 3rd and long.

He is 6'5", though, so he's got plenty of room to put on 15-20 lbs and not lose much athleticism and speed.

I like his potential better as a stand-up OLB, but like you said he hasn't shown the ability to shed blocks at a high level.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that he's only been playing defense for two years, so his upside is still enormous.

If we drafted him at #10 and the coaches said "we'll figure out where to use him" I'd be just fine with that. He's a special talent, imo, and our defense could use some special talent. Or just good talent. Or even just talent, really...

:10: I agree completely. he's to small to play DE and we would just end up with another Avril. He would be much better served out in space and used as a high quality blitzer on 3rd downs. He's definitely not as explosive as Von Miller but could be used in the same role as a poor man's version.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:10: I agree completely. he's to small to play DE and we would just end up with another Avril. He would be much better served out in space and used as a high quality blitzer on 3rd downs. He's definitely not as explosive as Von Miller but could be used in the same role as a poor man's version.

I'm not so sure about that. He put up some eye-opening numbers at his pro day, and burst is one thing his game doesn't lack. He's not as refined as Miller was when he came out, but as far as pure athleticism goes they're both pretty even, imo.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tillman back to Bears.

jayfan

{firestan}
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Julius Peppers a Packer.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions bringing in S Thomas DeCoud. Had great nubers in previous years. Got released by Falcons to save money and because it seems he was toast monster last year.

Smitty will be elated over this move... TP will flat out love it! Afterall he was probowler 2012

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lions bringing in S Thomas DeCoud. Had great nubers in previous years. Got released by Falcons to save money and because it seems he was toast monster last year.

Smitty will be elated over this move... TP will flat out love it! Afterall he was probowler 2012

Mike will hate it once it happens. For no reason other than Detroit did it. But if they don't do it he will shit on them for not doing it.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mike will hate it once it happens. For no reason other than Detroit did it. But if they don't do it he will shit on them for not doing it.

It doesn't matter who we bring in -- it is just going to be a stop gap until they find a permanent solution. The top safety free agents were off the board in the 1st 48 hours. Teams are just looking for bargains to fill a hole for a year now.

No real difference between any of the guys remaining on the market. Detroit will try and sign whichever one complements Quin the best. I'd rather they get Ihedbigo, as he has played in Austin's defense before.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Clemons came for a visit. I'd think that would be even better than ihedigbo. Also resigned fluellen

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Can hardly contain myself. Hear he doesn't take angles as well as Delmas. But he's only 29, so I don't think we need to worry about this happening. (He's fast as fuck if I remember right.)

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ihedigbo is not going to Baltimore. Will decide next week between 3 Nfc teams. Lions are one.

black_magic

Mass Debater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the 3, id personally take Ihedigbo. He is the oldest, but he is the most consistent. Clemons is a close 2nd, but please, no Decoud. He was terrible last year

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just read that mammoth DT Terrance Cody is meeting with the Ravens today. Did not realize he was a free agent. If Baltimore doesn't offer him, or whatnot, I'd take a veteran-minimum flier on him, at least to get him into camp. Let Suh try to motivate him to play up to his potential for a dozen or so snaps per game on run downs. Idk, we're talking about a 4th tackle, so impact would be pretty limited more-or-less, but at least he'd offer a great run-stuffing presence when needed.

If nothing else he'd give our 2nd and 3rd string guards and centers a helluva workout in camp. Also wouldn't count against the cap if we can get him in cheap enough... Austin obviously knows him well, so any interest, or especially any lack thereof, will be telling...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I'd like to go on record saying that passing on Chris Clemons was a mistake. I think Ihedigbo will do fine for a couple of years, but Clemons was just hitting his prime. He's going to play some good ball for somebody for the next 3 to 5 years.

He's still a pretty under-the-radar guy on the whole, but he's a size speed monster who has put up two very good years in a row against the run while playing increasingly well against the pass. He's got the speed to play center field and the size to fill against the run.

Pairing him and Quin together would have given us two safeties each capable of being the strong or free safety on any given play, which makes a QB's life much harder at the line...

I think 'Digs was the next best option, but Clemons has a much better 5 year outlook, imo. I'm willing to bet he sees a Pro Bowl or two with his next team. I wouldn't be surprised to see the Bears or Pats make a run at him. He'd also fit the Steelers defense well.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not so sure about that. He put up some eye-opening numbers at his pro day, and burst is one thing his game doesn't lack. He's not as refined as Miller was when he came out, but as far as pure athleticism goes they're both pretty even, imo.

Miller-
Ht Wt Arm length Hand size 40-yd dash 10-yd split 20-yd split 20-ss 3-cone Vert Broad BP Wonderlic 6 ft 3 in 246 lb 33½ in 9¼ in 4.53 s 1.57 s 2.57 s 4.06 s 6.7 s 37 in 10 ft 6 in 21 reps N/ABarr-
Vertical Leap: 34.5 inches Broad Jump: 117 inches- 9'9"
20 Yd Shuttle: 4.19 seconds Three Cone: 6.82 seconds

These numbers show Barr lacks the initial explosion and short area suddenness that Miller possesses. Not by much of course. That is the only reason I say "poor man's version". Numbers are still very good though.